Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Wolfsheim posted:

I know this is a 20+ year old complaint but the alignment/reputation system is so dumb, Viconia I am helping the people of Baldur's Gate so they give me money, please stop getting mad and leaving I promise we will randomly kill a peasant soon so people don't like me too much

It is a little odd that none of the evil characters understand the logic behind being a villain with good publicity. C'mon Edwin I would've thought you'd be smarter than that stop throwing a hissy fit because I freed some child slaves to maintain a discount at the Adventurer's Mart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Always amazed at how many people go around killing peasants to lower rep instead of modding the whole stupid system out 15 years ago.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
At least in SoD they make Viconia's lines be along the lines of "stop drawing attention to yourself, I'm trying to go under the radar here," which is probably the most sensible objection she could have.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

At least in SoD they make Viconia's lines be along the lines of "stop drawing attention to yourself, I'm trying to go under the radar here," which is probably the most sensible objection she could have.

Somehow she doesn't have this complaint about extreme infamy though

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Killing peasants to get tokens to spend in the redemption machine for fabulous cash, item, and experience prizes.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Kaigan: You bunch of chumps! What the hells do ya think you was doing?

Me:...making money? Like you like to do?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

This option from CDTweaks is always hilarious to me (unlike those poor, balanced npcs who can never experience happiness or sorrow):

quote:

Neutral Characters Make Happy Comments at Mid-Range Reputation [Luiz]
BGEE, BG2EE, IWDEE, EET, BG, BG2, BGT, Tutu, IWD-in-BG2

Every joinable NPC has lines they say when they're happy, ambivalent, or upset about the party's reputation. In the original tables, neutral characters could never be happy--even at mid-range reputation values, they would remain ambivalent. This component alters the reputation table so that they are now happy at middle of the road values, so you can now hear lines from neutral NPCs which were previously not available. This component is completely compatible with any variant of the Happy Patch.

But yeah, modding the leave-the-party stuff out is the way to go. Thank you mods for everything good in this world.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Old school d&d alignment system is not great.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Fruits of the sea posted:

Old school d&d alignment system is not great.

I strongly prefer the bg3 approach of not having explicitly identified alignments and instead just having people whose better and worse instincts can be appealed to, some more readily than others

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Is there a mod or an option to turn bg 1 and 2 into turn based close to how it feels to play bg 3? I know it won't get all the way there but I would love to go through these games again and actually engage in the combat system.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
If you enable enough auto-pause features, you can probably get close enough. I'm pretty sure there's a "pause at end of round/turn" option that would do it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, there's an option to auto-pause each round (six seconds), which is probably as close as you're gonna get without an engine overhaul mod.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

So you wouldn't get sequential turns but simultaneous turns with pauses at the end of each round or even as critical actions happen mid-round.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Playing that way can get pretty tedious, especially at lower levels. "Auto-paused, what happened this round? Oh, everyone missed all their attacks. Ok, next round.... and everyone missed again. Next round..."

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Yeah, rounds* would be simultaneous. After 6 seconds, actors would be allowed to act again instead of standing there doing nothing like idiots. Except for moving, that's always allowed and continuous. It's how you cheese BG1 with mass archers.

*A turn is 10 rounds.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

That does sound tedious.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I'd just use the QoL auto pauses. Enemy spotted, spell cast, trap found and target gone. Last one's debatable.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I was deciding on important things to backup to my NAS and added my BG tutu install even though I have the EE now. My beard is not entirely gray yet though if you can believe it.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
i think im gonna give bg1 another shot with the EE soon. what are some QoL mods? im thinking of things that streamline looting, things that might offer me respeccing, stuff like that.

if i manage to play and beat bg1 i'd probably also play bg2 if folks have similar thoughts there :)

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Playing that way can get pretty tedious, especially at lower levels. "Auto-paused, what happened this round? Oh, everyone missed all their attacks. Ok, next round.... and everyone missed again. Next round..."

you’d think that!
but actually you’d unpause once for every combatant in your party because in the Infinity Engine, rounds are not resolved simultaneously.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

Lady Dracula posted:

i think im gonna give bg1 another shot with the EE soon. what are some QoL mods? im thinking of things that streamline looting, things that might offer me respeccing, stuff like that.

if i manage to play and beat bg1 i'd probably also play bg2 if folks have similar thoughts there :)

EE has a built-in loot ground button that shows all the poo poo on the floor so you don't have to click on every little pile to loot.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dangit Suspicious :argh:

Lady Dracula posted:

This comes up a lot in this thread, but the EEs have in-built looting streamlining, the little red diamond button in the bottom of the interface lets you just mass-loot everything in sight. As soon as it is all dead, of course.

You can always respecc your dude with stuff like EEKeeper, but it's a little finicky in how the game engine processes all the various attributes if you want a complete do-over. Changing your weapon proficiency points is a simple matter though, and that's probably what you'd really care about, if you want to use a specific cool weapon. But most weapon classes now have cool weapons, so no one is left out.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Suspicious posted:

EE has a built-in loot ground button that shows all the poo poo on the floor so you don't have to click on every little pile to loot.

Yeah, I'd just play the EE versions.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The vast majority of QoL changes for IE games have been consolidated into the tweaks anthology https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/tweaks/tweaks/

Be sure to read what the components do before you select them, and some conflict with each other.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Check the UI overhaul mod because you can move/equip items across your whole party on one screen, saves a lot of time as well as letting you see all your gear at a glance.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It rocks that if you play BG1 normally you'll run into three or so dungeons, each with maybe eight traps apiece

And then you go to Durlag's Tower where there's literally eight traps per room and some of the most esoteric quest solutions I've ever seen (that was the forge?)

It really threw me for a loop but the boss died the way anything challenging has so far; by throwing summons at him to waste his good spells and then hitting him a lot :shrug:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

if you're going to make an encounter where it's impossible to pull one group of three beholders without a dozen more joining the fight, then I am going to drop a glabrezu in the middle along with a sphere of chaos, a cloudkill and a greater malison and go sit a screen away

also lob in some fireballs for good measure

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

So I decided to revisit IWD after not playing it for years, and the Marilith fight at Dragon's Eye does not gently caress around. I finally decided to cheese it a bit after getting wiped multiple times. I could easily deal with her minions, but i'd run out of juice just trying to lock her down and hit her. So finally I decided to: Fill the room before her full of Skull Traps, then use a goblin summon as a targeting reticle to fire a Lightning Bolt into the fog of war and start the fight. Then, as snake-men started pouring in, I threw down Web, Entange, Stinking Cloud, and Spike Growth. Everything except the Marilith died before reaching me, and it took a handful of +2 Arrows from my Wizard Slayer to finish her off. I'm not sure why I had so much trouble with her; I'm running a Paladin, Fighter/Thief, Wizard Slayer, Cleric/Ranger, Avenger Druid, and Figher/Mage. Everyone was pretty kitted out for that stage of the game, I just couldn't get any meaningful damage on her before she smashed through my melee guys.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
The Yxunomei fight is basically the only thing I remember specifically from either Icewind Dale game because to me too it was just somehow SO OPPRESSIVELY HARD yet also one of my proudest moments in that rather than reloading when things were immediately harder than I expected I just tried retreating tactically and regrouping and finally won with about 10 hit points to spare between my entire party. Definitely says something for whoever put that encounter together that it could be so challenging but surmountable

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Dr. Quarex posted:

The Yxunomei fight is basically the only thing I remember specifically from either Icewind Dale game because to me too it was just somehow SO OPPRESSIVELY HARD yet also one of my proudest moments in that rather than reloading when things were immediately harder than I expected I just tried retreating tactically and regrouping and finally won with about 10 hit points to spare between my entire party. Definitely says something for whoever put that encounter together that it could be so challenging but surmountable

I kept getting close, but couldn't stem all the melee damage. Closest I got was kiting her around a table while everyone except my WizSlayer failed to hit her with projectiles. I had plenty of +1 Arrows and Bullets, but only the single stack of +2s managed to land consistently. My melee guys had +1 and +2 weapons, but they just got beat up too fast.

I tried multiple tactics then finally said gently caress it and made her and her mooks play "The entire floor is lava"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yxunomei needs +2 enchantment to hit and also is a little overbearing in melee. The old reliable method, which remains useful through all of HOW (but less so in TotLM), is to do like you say and turn the floor to lava and divy up your +2 projectiles to whoever has multiple attacks per round. She needs kited (I think you can get nearly -10 AC or less by now, it even that remains slightly paperish) if she gets her buffs up before she makes it into melee but some area damage plus spread out projectiles means she often doesn't. At the very least multiple area ongoing damage spells have a good chance of breaking through her magic resist at a good time to interrupt.

Overall if you're taking substantial melee damage in IWD something has gone wrong with your area denial spells or your buff selection. It gets a little weird by TotLM and HOF difficulty where you need %resist to be able to use your HP as a tanking gas tank but before then you can usually just ignore a hard encounter by employing all the area denial tricks.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Yeah sounds like I just handled it wrong. Wasn't buffing enough and didn't secure more +2 weapons and ammo. Truthfully it's been so long that I don't remember where all the good poo poo is. I'm trying to hit every nook and cranny but I'm sure I've missed stuff. I'm at Dorn's Deep now and everything else has been smooth-sailing between area denial magics and buffed ranged attacks.

I'm glad I decided to go with a ranged WizSlayer in my party; it was a fun playthrough of BG2 and it seems just as effective in IWD if not moreso.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
i assume this is the same feeling you're supposed to get going from BG1 -> BG2 but going from the ending of BG1 to the opening of dragonspear and having imoen suddenly have a personality is such an abrupt shift lol

also they gave viconia a portrait that doesn't suck

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Wolfsheim posted:

i assume this is the same feeling you're supposed to get going from BG1 -> BG2 but going from the ending of BG1 to the opening of dragonspear and having imoen suddenly have a personality is such an abrupt shift lol

I think I heard once that Imoen was a late addition to BG 1 and I presume the devs didn't expect her to be as popular as she was (and also they didn't expect players to want to keep their party members alive and not just have a revolving door replacing whoever died last with a fresh face).

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah Imoen was added in last minute, she was never meant to accompany you. But they realised the game needed an accessible good-aligned thief early on so tacked her on and she became a favourite so they wrote her into BG2.

She was sort of a late addition back into the party in BG2 as well, which originally didn't have her rejoining at Spellhold. That's why she doesn't have any party interactions or hardly any lines after you get her back. The original draft for the story actually had Irenicus transforming her into the slayer and unleashing her on Suldanessalar.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Honestly, probably a better use of her

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Sounds like the plot to Diablo 3 but not as stupid

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
We still have a month and change to go, but start thinking about your ironman gimmicks!

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Finished Icewind Dale EE! First time ever. I ended up really enjoying the straight-forward story and encounter design. I forgot how much of an absolute prick you can be in dialogue. It seemed like every conversation with a boss or mob was an opportunity to be really snarky and sarcastic. Pretty funny.

The final boss went down in a couple tries once I realized I needed to wait until after his initial Dispel to start buffing up. Gave everyone Cloud Giant Strength pots and slapped on as many buffs as I could. The adds went down very easily, so it just ended up being 6 v 1. Instead of chasing him when he DDoor'd we just waited for him to come back. He still landed some meaty hits on the Druid and ended up killing him; we were too close to victory for me to care about healing him. RIP buddy, see you in HoW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Suspicious posted:

We still have a month and change to go, but start thinking about your ironman gimmicks!

Taking a good look at the BG1 roster and deciding that an only rogues/bards run is the obvious choice. I'll have 4 backups for when they inevitably succumb to low hit die disease.