Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's a good technique you can apply with no further higher design for cars because cars are mass manufactured to be identical in large numbers.

You probably want to do it for memory management for human NPCs but at that point you need to be also thinking about scene management of some sort to avoid identical quintuplets hanging out because you just birthday paradoxed the model into 5 adjacent slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
It can't be hard to code in something that checks how many identical npcs are spawned at any given time, though.

edit: I am aware how it sounds to say "it can't be hard to..." regarding something that, for me would be impossible.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

credburn posted:

It can't be hard to code in something that checks how many identical npcs are spawned at any given time, though.

edit: I am aware how it sounds to say "it can't be hard to..." regarding something that, for me would be impossible.

it would take more resources to keep track of that and consider it at a time that youre fighting resource constraints already

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

She's really getting up in there.

https://i.imgur.com/5ELDOuK.mp4

LazyDivey has a new favorite as of 06:09 on Oct 8, 2023

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
JOINT PAIN

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I found a guy in Cyberpunk that just wouldn't stop pissing. He'd stand around with 2 other guys, walk off to a tree to piss and then walk back. Except the piss never stopped. He'd be bullshitting with his friends, stretching while nonstop pissing.

He stopped when I blew him up at least.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Brandfarlig posted:

I found a guy in Cyberpunk that just wouldn't stop pissing. He'd stand around with 2 other guys, walk off to a tree to piss and then walk back. Except the piss never stopped. He'd be bullshitting with his friends, stretching while nonstop pissing.

I saw a guy in Austin TX like this, just walking down the street like normal except dick out pissing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Don't forget how that was a totally separate bug from how sometimes people's dicks and boobs would stick out through their clothes

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Brandfarlig posted:

The worst superpower.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Philippe posted:

JOINT PAIN
Pretty sure that'd give me joint pain, too.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

LazyDivey posted:

Please 👏don't👏 kinkshame👏

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

dialhforhero posted:

Please 👏don't👏 kinkshame👏

sentiment works for multiple values of kink

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

credburn posted:

TBH at least in my own experience, a little task like this is pretty easy to code.

Where the problem really lies is realizing you need to do this way later than you should have, then figuring out how and where to do this inside code that you already have without breaking the entire drat thing. :gonk:

At which point you just go “not crashing? good enough”

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dewgy posted:

TBH at least in my own experience, a little task like this is pretty easy to code.

Where the problem really lies is realizing you need to do this way later than you should have, then figuring out how and where to do this inside code that you already have without breaking the entire drat thing. :gonk:

At which point you just go “not crashing? good enough”

Simple solution would be to record a line "Well this is awkward..." and have one of them say it.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

lobsterminator posted:

Simple solution would be to record a line "Well this is awkward..." and have one of them say it.

"Record a line" is never a simple solution

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Kikas posted:

"Record a line" is never a simple solution

It is if you use the solution that Disney used for Dug the dog in Up, just have an animator do such a good job with the placeholder lines that you literally cannot find a VA that can do a better job despite several attempts.

Then get them a SAG card wait gently caress

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

It is if you use the solution that Disney used for Dug the dog in Up, just have an animator do such a good job with the placeholder lines that you literally cannot find a VA that can do a better job despite several attempts.

That’s basically how they cast Senua in Hellblade too. :D

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What's Up Dug?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vqWBIjOJS8

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Timestamp 8m50s

Interesting explanation of how Mario 3's quite intricate card shuffling algorithm ends up being almost completely broken and producing just 8 end results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGeLzCmUDDk&t=532s

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Kennel posted:

Timestamp 8m50s

Interesting explanation of how Mario 3's quite intricate card shuffling algorithm ends up being almost completely broken and producing just 8 end results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGeLzCmUDDk&t=532s

Whoa, interesting. As a kid, we had a strategy guide that laid out the eight possibilities and I eventually just memorized it from playing the game so much. I never would've guessed that the arrangements weren't just hardcoded.

Still never beat the game as a kid.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

DontMockMySmock posted:

Whoa, interesting. As a kid, we had a strategy guide that laid out the eight possibilities and I eventually just memorized it from playing the game so much. I never would've guessed that the arrangements weren't just hardcoded.

Still never beat the game as a kid.

A friend of mine had that strategy guide and his mom would help us with the card game, finding the right layout and telling us what cards to pick.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

he's onto us...we don't have that kinda dosh...

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Owl Inspector posted:

he's onto us...we don't have that kinda dosh...

The old wizard ;DropTables is not gonna be pleased.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

LazyDivey posted:

aw jeez the first time i saw this it looked like a screenshot, its even better as a clip lol

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Reminds me of Dead Rising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTGj_Lq2jyU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

haha the mouth wipe at the end

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmao oh no

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
(GONE WRONG) (GONE SEXUAL)

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I hate it when my 69 goes sexual.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Kennel posted:

(GONE WRONG) (GONE SEXUAL)

gotta get them views

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Playing Starfield, and I tried to take off from Neon. The ship stayed put, but the interior flew right off. Absolutely nothing ship related worked right after this, from the ship not actually moving, to the camera pointed at the wrong poo poo after jump.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The same thing happened with Roz in Monsters Inc.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Playing Starfield, and I tried to take off from Neon. The ship stayed put, but the interior flew right off. Absolutely nothing ship related worked right after this, from the ship not actually moving, to the camera pointed at the wrong poo poo after jump.

I saw this happen in a youtube. Try changing ships, like select another ship, back out and look at it in the world, then go back to your first ship.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Zereth posted:

I saw this happen in a youtube. Try changing ships, like select another ship, back out and look at it in the world, then go back to your first ship.

Good to know, though restarting the game seems to work.

It's an unbelievably Bethesda bug. Not sure why the thing even has an interior for the takeoff and landing clips.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I've got one that's my favorite just for how disastrous it is. So in The Sims 2 there is a problem with deleting Sims. It is well known among hardcore Sims 2 fans that you should NEVER delete Sims. I don't know the exact technical details (I'm sure it's all been well-documented by now) but when you delete a sim, not all of the data associated with it gets deleted. Some of it sticks around unattached to any sim, and the next time the game generates a sim and stores it in the slot the deleted sim used to occupy, some of that ghost data gets attached to the new sim. It does not cause any immediate problems but it basically causes that instance of that town to become less and less functional over time until eventually it becomes unplayable. The more sims you delete, the faster it happens.

So just don't delete any sims, right? It's not so simple. See, the developers never knew about this bug, which makes sense because if they did they probably would have done something about it before shipping the game. Since they didn't know about it, while they were creating the towns, if they decided they didn't want a given sim they had been working on to be in that town or wanted to redo a sim from scratch, they would just delete that sim. For this reason, every default premade town in The Sims 2 is basically a ticking timebomb. They all have ghost data that will eventually cause them to disintegrate. If you want to play one of these towns without that happening you either have to download a fanmade mod to fix the bug, or download fanmade versions of those maps which have been properly scrubbed clean of the cursed remnants of sims that were deleted decades ago.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ariong posted:

the cursed remnants of sims that were deleted decades ago.

So, ghosts?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Sims series in general is a goldmine for weird bugs and other crazy poo poo. There was a bug in 3 that involved a "cursed doll" that was basically just a bit of custom content uploaded to the exchange with some corrupted data in it, that ended up making it behave like a virus. It would not only corrupt saves that it was imported into (in a way that wasn't immediately obvious but caused long term instability problems), but it was also apparently very hard to remove from your game once it was in there, and any custom content you uploaded could end up containing the data for the doll if you had it installed, causing it to continue to be able to spread even after the original faulty upload was removed.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Kind of weird how suddenly the soundtrack to Nier Replicant started playing while I read that post about The Sims 2. Very odd indeed...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

WTF! That's the coolest urban legend I've heard in years!