Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

I see its slightly bigger and probably thicker.

Mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Centrist Committee posted:

assistant secretary of defense for special operations and low-intensity conflict

seems like this guy knows how to win goatherders

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

StratGoatCom posted:

I personally get the feel that modular systems like the british Boxer are a good idea... they're just not a good fit for our MIC system, they'd work better for the former pact industrial object system due to the whole standardization thing.

I also suspect the current drone happy time will be temporary as SPAAGS and other gun AA, autocannon RCWS, various jamming and anti-drone cages and doctrinal remedies proliferate. It's a novelty thing.

Once again looking at the us mic's ability to do procurement of novel capabilities and going "hm"

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Delta-Wye posted:

wait, this is... good actually?

Only if you root for the forces of fascism

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
After I graduated undergrad in 2009 with a physics degree, I couldn't find a job like everyone else and once I heard about the big signing bonuses for being a Navy nuke officer I was very interested. I did all the poo poo to apply for OCS, endless paperwork, exams, physical, TS clearance. I went with a bunch of other applicants to Bangor to talk to an actual SSBN crew and tour the ship which was cool. It took almost an entire year, and because I applied at a weird time it would probably take almost another year for me to ship out to OCS if I was accepted. I got an office job and planned to just not tell them I was leaving in ~9 months.

Last thing left before I signed my life away was to do the final interview in DC in front of the admirals. I had been working the office job for a few weeks, then I got run down in crosswalk by some idiot and couldn't walk afterwards lol . I was in bad shape and didn't have a lot of time before going to DC , and I was terrified of signing my contract, never fully recovering and being stuck as an E-1 for a 5-6 year contract. So I just told my recruiter to forget it.

Later I would learn that the Nuke program was so dysfunctional that basically the only way to pass the Nuke training was to know the right people to get old course materials, memorize old course materials because the tests didn't make much sense otherwise. So half the class was failing and later the half that was "doing well" got busted for cheating. Wish I didn't get hit by a car but also glad I'm not in a tin can under the ocean.... but I'd also have more money :thunk:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
about a decade ago my girlfriend's husband was in Navy nuke school and ended up washing out and getting sent home early because the physical training did permanent damage to his knees and he basically couldn't run anymore

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

A stagnant social structure refusing to adapt to real world conditions?

Yeah, sounds normal.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mister Bates posted:

about a decade ago my girlfriend's husband was in Navy nuke school and ended up washing out and getting sent home early because the physical training did permanent damage to his knees and he basically couldn't run anymore

Are there airborne submarine propulsion technicians or something?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Bates posted:

my girlfriend's husband

Hell yeah

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Well he couldn't run anymore.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Mister Bates posted:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Good news for people following this thread, it's gonna happen soon.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1711120355585089821

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Stairmaster posted:

Neocons hootin and hollerin

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Stairmaster posted:

"According to senior officials pf Hamas and Hezbollah"? So this is a press release?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mr. Pool posted:

After I graduated undergrad in 2009 with a physics degree, I couldn't find a job like everyone else and once I heard about the big signing bonuses for being a Navy nuke officer I was very interested. I did all the poo poo to apply for OCS, endless paperwork, exams, physical, TS clearance. I went with a bunch of other applicants to Bangor to talk to an actual SSBN crew and tour the ship which was cool. It took almost an entire year, and because I applied at a weird time it would probably take almost another year for me to ship out to OCS if I was accepted. I got an office job and planned to just not tell them I was leaving in ~9 months.

Last thing left before I signed my life away was to do the final interview in DC in front of the admirals. I had been working the office job for a few weeks, then I got run down in crosswalk by some idiot and couldn't walk afterwards lol . I was in bad shape and didn't have a lot of time before going to DC , and I was terrified of signing my contract, never fully recovering and being stuck as an E-1 for a 5-6 year contract. So I just told my recruiter to forget it.

Later I would learn that the Nuke program was so dysfunctional that basically the only way to pass the Nuke training was to know the right people to get old course materials, memorize old course materials because the tests didn't make much sense otherwise. So half the class was failing and later the half that was "doing well" got busted for cheating. Wish I didn't get hit by a car but also glad I'm not in a tin can under the ocean.... but I'd also have more money :thunk:

honestly best possible outcome here. dude did you a favor. friends don’t let friends go nuke. even if they have to hit you with a car.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Proust Malone posted:

honestly best possible outcome here. dude did you a favor. friends don’t let friends go nuke. even if they have to hit you with a car.
nuke? more like dook, lol

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Proust Malone posted:

what’s the best MOST in the Navy? or army / Air Force?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol if this is it and iran finally gets to sink 500 billion dollars of boats in 20 minutes of drone bullshit

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

lol if this is it and iran finally gets to sink 500 billion dollars of boats in 20 minutes of drone bullshit

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Real hurthling! posted:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

"According to senior officials pf Hamas and Hezbollah"? So this is a press release?

The article says, "according to senior officials" but doesn't actually name any names and then later says, "There is no evidence to confirm this" and also "Senior Hamas leaders say they did it all themselves." This article is probably just following the Hearst school of journalism to push for war with Iran.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Proust Malone posted:

Angels don't always have wings, sometimes they are a distracted 18 y/o driving a Nissan Altima......

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Real hurthling! posted:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Real hurthling! posted:

we begin bombing in five minutes

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

sullat posted:

This article is probably just following the Hearst school of journalism to push for war with Iran.

100%. also America’s nearer enemy is always too stupid and savage to have their own plans or experts. those are the domain of the farther enemy. like how Russia totally did all of the flying and planning in Vietnam.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Genuinely starting to think that USA getting lured into another middle eastern adventure would be a return to normalcy of the past 20 years.

It will be hosed up, but then they can just give up Taiwan and Ukraine, and everyone will have a nice limited proxy war that doesn't escalate into a direct confrontation between the big boys.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If Trump is back in White House, he is definitely going to pivot back to Saudi, like Reagan pandered to the Shah. What's the modern equivalent of the Tomcat Trump can sell to Saudi? Actual cool weapon not the fat Amy.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 18:16 on Oct 9, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

If Trump is back in White House, he is definitely going to pivot back to Saudi, like Reagan pandered to the Shah. What's the modern equivalent of the Tomcat Trump can sell to Saudi? Actual cool weapon not the fat Amy.

The US doesn't make good weapons anymore

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

F35

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
saudi arms procurement minister showing up to a meeting wearing a 'no fat chicks' shirt

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well they're not making anymore F-22, so it would have to be F-15.

Very impressive that they can't restart the production of F-22 at all. Just making a weapon you can never use, but it's not even a deterrent like a nuke.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

Very impressive that they can't restart the production of F-22 at all. Just making a weapon you can never use, but it's not even a deterrent like a nuke.

didn't you see the white sheets on the plane? it's a really really good plane according to the sales pitch

those fuckin balloons didn't stand a chance

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Lostconfused posted:

Genuinely starting to think that USA getting lured into another middle eastern adventure would be a return to normalcy of the past 20 years.

It will be hosed up, but then they can just give up Taiwan and Ukraine, and everyone will have a nice limited proxy war that doesn't escalate into a direct confrontation between the big boys.

Oh Taiwan is going to be hosed. Ukraine is just now testing grounds to see what weapons work and what don't.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol buddy we can’t even get new howitzers and you want F-22s rolling off the assembly line?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Germany had bespoke artisanal tanks, USA has bespoke artisanal aircraft.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Real hurthling! posted:

A shame that Ian Miles Cheong apparently deleted the tweet thread explaining that Iran can be beaten in 6 months because the new US generation plays Fortnite.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Trump famously a fan of the F/A-18E/F series. And the production line is slated to stay open through 2025, so he has time…

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

poisonpill posted:

what’s the best MOST in the Navy? or army / Air Force?

If you want promotions and a career than a lovely nuke life will fast track that poo poo. Even the enlisted side is basically guaranteed first class if you don't leave after your second stint.

In the military good for your career means poo poo hard work that you can't gently caress up without ruining your career.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

stephenthinkpad posted:

the shah was overthrown before Reagan was in office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/20633/exclusive-heres-the-f-22-production-restart-study-the-usaf-has-kept-secret-for-over-a-year

they actually totally could but keep trying to hide that fact because it would hurt the f35