Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Kawalimus posted:

^^Jefferson was a 22!!! If the Ravens were doing bad at WR over like 5-7 years I could see this reasoning of "oh they just don't draft high enough." This is TWENTY SEVEN YEARS of failure. That's not just bad luck or not drafting high enough.

Charles Rogers was drafted 3rd overall. Travis Taylor was technically a top 10 pick. Justin Blackmon was 5th overall. Sammy Watkins 4th overall. Braylon Edwards 3rd overall. David Terrell 8th overall. Peter Warrick 4th overall. Tavon Austin 8th

Plenty top 10 guys bust. But DJ Moore was drafted right where the Ravens always draft. Santonio Holmes was 25th overall would be the Ravens best ever drafted receiver. Keenan Allen fell to like the 2nd or 3rd round and had a great career. Randy Moss like 20th or so

So absolute nonsense. Yeah if every one of those top 5 guys were Calvin Johnson I could see saying that but even at that spot a guy like that comes along maybe once a decade if that.

The Ravens organization just absolutely sucks at building and developing passing offense.' I say trade because outside of that last 5 mins Lamar was absolutely on target. With a top WR he is having his best passing year as a pro right now. But we still have no one who can draw double coverage. That is the key to it.

let me introduce you to Amon Ra St Brown, who the Ravens had a chance to draft four times before the Lions snagged him in the fourth round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

MJeff posted:

Your Detroit Lions are 4-1. :toot:

Hell yeah brother. Not super-thrilled about Detroit coming out scoreless in the third quarter after last week, but at least Carolina didn't do much in that quarter either. Time to get healthy before @TB next week.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

C-Euro posted:

Hell yeah brother. Not super-thrilled about Detroit coming out scoreless in the third quarter after last week, but at least Carolina didn't do much in that quarter either. Time to get healthy before @TB next week.

They could have scored, but they just ran out the quarter instead. They did at least start the quarter with like a 6 minute drive. Just sucks we don't have a kicker who can make 50 yarders (really largest weakness on the team right now).

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Papercut posted:

Kansas City gets the friendliest whistle in sports
Refs: not a penalty
Announcers: not a penalty
Former ref: not a penalty
Internet: there's clearly some sort of conspiracy

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

let me introduce you to Amon Ra St Brown, who the Ravens had a chance to draft four times before the Lions snagged him in the fourth round

Oh yeah, and I'm sure he's not the only one over the years. Like I said as far back as the 98 draft we took Patrick Johnson when Hines Ward was available. What I'm saying is the Ravens' rate of failure overall on receivers is abnormal. Even if we did draft the guy who knows if he ever would have had much of a chance here because of the way this team operates. We have NEVER had a late round guy ever become a starter who would start on other teams. Ever. Nobody we've ever had past the 2nd round has ever become anything ever.

So that's what I mean when I argue that saying the Ravens just haven't picked in the top 5 or whatever is nonsense. Plenty of capable starters and better than that have come from the later first and even the middle and late rounds and the Ravens have NEVER had that level of success with a drafted wideout ever in twenty seven years of existence. And the team and the fanbase just plug their ears and go no that's not a real problem like a parent who doesn't want to admit their kid has a learning disability.

This can be fixed. But it has to be acknowledged and approached with a serious plan. And drafting random guys and hoping this next one is "the one" is clearly not the approach. Like I said we would need to sign or trade for some big free agent who can draw double coverage already, then draft somebody on top of that to play next to him. Then maybe a shift in culture could occur. And also fire Harbaugh now.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

man that kansas city guy is really happy about how wrong the internet is

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

LiquidFriend posted:

why is this chiefs fan sitting so far away from his monitor

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

mike evans seems like a ravens signing for this coming offseason. solid guy who just became old 1 second ago. but there's also tee higgins or calvin ridley.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Evans could be good. You can be good at WR till youre 35 but the Ravens would definitely benefit from him even if he's not at his absolute peak. He would be far and away the #1 on this team right now.

Ridley is a bad idea for a WR who's had mental health trouble to come on the Ravens. That's a real bad mix.

Higgins I would also take but not above Evans.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I've seen saying for 20 years that the Orioles shouldn't waste first round picks on pitchers and Mike Elias comes in, only uses firsts on hitters, and the Orioles make the playoffs. This is not a coincidence.

Cavauro posted:

mike evans seems like a ravens signing for this coming offseason. solid guy who just became old 1 second ago. but there's also tee higgins or calvin ridley.

Whichever one is injured the most often is the tiebreaker.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

LiquidFriend posted:

You either complain about the refs or live long enough to be on the receiving end. Sad to see the chiefs going down this route

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

The337th posted:

why is this chiefs fan sitting so far away from his monitor
He has a webtv

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Banned

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

I've seen saying for 20 years that the Orioles shouldn't waste first round picks on pitchers and Mike Elias comes in, only uses firsts on hitters, and the Orioles make the playoffs. This is not a coincidence.

Yeah I always said also the Orioles are to pitchers as the Ravens are to wide receivers. And you are absolutely correct. These WR draft picks are a total waste. We don't pick that position well and could have just signed various free agents at WR to do exactly what our drafted ones do and probably better.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

e: wrong thread

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chiefs have firmly out-Pats'd the Pats in the hateable rankings currently

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It feels like the broncos have lots of pieces you can build off of. They just seem to have absolutely abysmal coaching which is wild considering.

Maybe get a couple big defensive pieces. That offense seemed capable enough

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
The only building block the Broncos have is Surtain. Everyone else is either underperforming or impossible to evaluate because of Russ. They need to hire a new GM and start over.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Sutton is pretty good!

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

solarjetman posted:

The only building block the Broncos have is Surtain. Everyone else is either underperforming or impossible to evaluate because of Russ. They need to hire a new GM and start over.

That Mims fella seems pretty decent so far

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
E: wrong thread

Papercut fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 9, 2023

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38597963/sources-broncos-receiving-trade-inquiries-active

Phones clearly reading my posts

Poor phone

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

Paint Crop Pro posted:

That Mims fella seems pretty decent so far

I thought so too before he dropped two kicks in two games.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Amy Pole Her posted:

It feels like the broncos have lots of pieces you can build off of. They just seem to have absolutely abysmal coaching which is wild considering.

Maybe get a couple big defensive pieces. That offense seemed capable enough

My SO got tickets to the game through work and the vibe in the stadium was so bad even when the Broncos were up. It seems like absolutely no one has any confidence in the Denver offense.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Actually that's not true. There was ONE guy, and that was Brandon Stokley. A 4th rounder in 99. I always forget he was a Ravens draft pick originally for some reason. Even though he had that big SB touchdown. I always think of him as starting with the Colts and going to the Broncos. A solid slot guy when healthy.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Cowfrauds or Fraudboys?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Posting in the aftermath thread with 14 minutes left in the game

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m playing the college allegiance card to get on the Dolphins fandom this year. Achane is nuts.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Darnold is in. The game is over

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'ma just leave this right here.

https://x.com/stephenasmith/status/1711216013163761690?s=20

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I have come to the conclusion that Jerry Jones is a dogshit general manager and is totally incapable of constructing a team in modern times.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gonz posted:

I have come to the conclusion that Jerry Jones is a dogshit general manager and is totally incapable of constructing a team in modern times.

Once they cracked down on cocaine use the Cowboys were doomed.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gonz posted:

Just now?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Now more than ever! It was a given before, but it’s especially evident this evening.

Fat Mike ain’t the guy. Dak ain’t the guy. Et cetera et cetera.

poo poo is hilarious.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/nfl_memes/status/1711220142510637543?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I know beating the Panthers is basically like steamrolling a Pee Wee league team but this is absolutely the sort of game we would have lost in previous years

4-1 baby WHOOOOOOO

Also Hutch is insane and Jags are probably kicking themselves rn

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
This season blows. There’s like three good teams

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Trent Baalke think he did something wrong? Never.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Seth Pecksniff posted:

https://twitter.com/dariusjbutler/status/1711070899292471322?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

9ers/Cowboys was good til the last drop.