Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I felt like the prison section was like an hour tops, maybe that's the difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Holy hell did they ever make getting back to this one primal obelisk room in the Abju Pit needlessly confusing as all loving hell. Even with the new map system and having been there a couple times before I still needed to watch a video on how the gently caress to get back to it every time to check where one of the sigils is. Like why is this particular one alone so loving isolated through a ton of elevators and vaguely defined pathways on even the new map system?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Honkai Impact has no shortage of great outfits to earn via awards or through your hard earned cash, it's bizarre how stingy Genshin is, when the outfits would make FAR more of a difference in Genshin given you play with that character in a world instead of only in combat. Also while HSR has no outfits, yet, at least the Traveler equivalent is actually a solid unit. Never the best but WAY WAY better than any variant of the traveler, even dendro. The other traveler kits being at least as good as the dendro kit would be nice.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Eimi posted:

Also while HSR has no outfits, yet, at least the Traveler equivalent is actually a solid unit. Never the best but WAY WAY better than any variant of the traveler, even dendro. The other traveler kits being at least as good as the dendro kit would be nice.
Most of why people built dendro Traveler up was because it was the easiest way to build a decent hyperbloom team in 3.0 (and the easiest way to build two decent hyperbloom teams once Nahida came out).

Hydro Traveler is kinda only there as a F2P option for ousia/pneuma puzzles, and you don't even need them for most of those.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
some incidental text from the Fontaine Research Institute questline:

quote:

turbo-powered glider

:eyepop:

Kale
May 14, 2010

Hey nice, got my Neuvillette on the 69th pull. Probably going to try to get Wrio too though will have to do some calculations and see what comes after if I lose the 50/50 cause I'm definitely not passing up Furina no matter what. Very comfortable 44K Primo Gems+ 7200 Genesis Crystals + 12 Intertwined Fates + 102 Starglitter after pity reset though. Tons of resources to play around with and draw on for the upcoming Fontaine character banners

Nakar posted:

The thing that bugs me is that Childe has been a very important character the whole Fontaine arc but has no voiced lines whatsoever in 4.1 even though he appears several times and has a couple lines which are shown in text but not voiced for some reason. This apparently continues into 4.2 with him not having been determined to have any voiced lines there either. Like what, is Griffin Burns or Kimura Ryohei or whoever busy lately? Clorinde doesn't exactly talk much, but they still got her VAs in.

Sometimes I think they just include characters in certain events or Archon quests cause there banners are up but don't necessarily have plans or implementations on how to use them and it's been a bit more apparent in some recent patches. For example Eula made a ton of sense for that one event in Dragonspine with the imposter Albedo (and actually got to fight and be cool) cause her clan has strong ties to the mountain and she actually knows the terrain and hangs around there in her lore. She did basically nothing in the Veluriyam Mirage, but pout at her cousin though.

I wonder the same thing about VA availability sometimes though. Like Rie Tanaka in particular I've noticed always seems super available and always on call to do stream gigs or appear as Lisa or Himeko respectively I've noticed, same with Ayane Sakura for Yae. Meanwhile it almost feels like good luck getting Saori Hayami or Miyuki Sawashiro to put in more than a few lines for Ayaka and Raiden anytime they appear in an event. Admittedly I have no frame of reference for any of the voice actors outside of the Japanese ones or what they might be doing on the side for the most part save a handful of names here and there. It could be English or even some Chinese or Korean ones availability holding things up for all I know.

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 8, 2023

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

MadHat posted:

Yeah the Traveler exists to be the Story Avatar and mechanically so that they can always absolutely guarantee you have specific Elements available no matter your current pull status. Ideally they would also be interesting mechanically but that would be stepping on the toes of actual monetized characters. I mean maybe they sell you the Sibling eventually, kind of an odd situation since they are not selling even Costumes for the Traveler despite multiple times where it would have made sense.

I still haven't forgiven Hoyo for making Traveler reject Ayaka's offer of a free kimono

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Eimi posted:

Honkai Impact has no shortage of great outfits to earn via awards or through your hard earned cash, it's bizarre how stingy Genshin is, when the outfits would make FAR more of a difference in Genshin given you play with that character in a world instead of only in combat. Also while HSR has no outfits, yet, at least the Traveler equivalent is actually a solid unit. Never the best but WAY WAY better than any variant of the traveler, even dendro. The other traveler kits being at least as good as the dendro kit would be nice.

HSR has taken over for Genshin in my game time, a lot easier to keep up with the grind and BP and stuff, and the Trailblazer is just so good compared to the Traveler. Even if it's a turn-based game, it feels better to land an ultimate, and aside from mechanical effectiveness there's a lot to be said for the actual different weapons the Trailblazer can use - they start with a sick baseball bat charged up with angry mojo, then progress to a fuckoff huge fire lance. Whatever else they get down the line is still going to be more impressive than the Traveler's sword, and Genshin now feels very limited in character designs by the five weapon limit.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
After three days of starfish-hunting, my Neuv is in a reasonable place -- level 61 and climbing, Proto Amber at 80, 4-piece MHunter. Now to focus on getting the right artifacts for a month.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Traveller posted:

HSR has taken over for Genshin in my game time, a lot easier to keep up with the grind and BP and stuff, and the Trailblazer is just so good compared to the Traveler.
To be fair though I think this is kind of selective memory. Physical Trailblazer is extremely mediocre, it's Fire Trailblazer that's good because tanks are in short supply if you didn't luck into Gepard or pull for Fu Xuan and their specific shield generation method happens to play really well into the Preservation path in Simulated Universe, where they work great as a secondary tank, Fire breaker, and Path Resonance charger. Comparable viability to Dendro Traveler in having good niches and teams where they excel, especially if you're already running better options elsewhere.

If Dendro had been the second Traveler and we only had Anemo + Dendro right now, it would be a lot easier to say "The Traveler's pretty good! Anemo's kinda mediocre unless you're lacking a good unit to use VV, but Dendro's amazing!" We'll have to see if Trailblazer has as many viable specs when they're 5 Paths in. It is true that TB has way cooler weapons and flashier ults though.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Nakar posted:

To be fair though I think this is kind of selective memory. Physical Trailblazer is extremely mediocre, it's Fire Trailblazer that's good because tanks are in short supply if you didn't luck into Gepard or pull for Fu Xuan and their specific shield generation method happens to play really well into the Preservation path in Simulated Universe, where they work great as a secondary tank, Fire breaker, and Path Resonance charger. Comparable viability to Dendro Traveler in having good niches and teams where they excel, especially if you're already running better options elsewhere.

If Dendro had been the second Traveler and we only had Anemo + Dendro right now, it would be a lot easier to say "The Traveler's pretty good! Anemo's kinda mediocre unless you're lacking a good unit to use VV, but Dendro's amazing!" We'll have to see if Trailblazer has as many viable specs when they're 5 Paths in. It is true that TB has way cooler weapons and flashier ults though.

While it's hardly unique to phys blazer, you can do a break effect built with them and it's utterly hilarious to see them bonk phys weak enemies for 50k damage. Fire is great though for sure. I also think the next sustain unit might actually bring them back in the meta, as you can build fireblazer as a very competent subdps.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Traveller posted:

HSR has taken over for Genshin in my game time, a lot easier to keep up with the grind and BP and stuff, and the Trailblazer is just so good compared to the Traveler. Even if it's a turn-based game, it feels better to land an ultimate, and aside from mechanical effectiveness there's a lot to be said for the actual different weapons the Trailblazer can use - they start with a sick baseball bat charged up with angry mojo, then progress to a fuckoff huge fire lance. Whatever else they get down the line is still going to be more impressive than the Traveler's sword, and Genshin now feels very limited in character designs by the five weapon limit.

I don’t know if weapon choice really limits the character design space. Off the top of my head, Heizou punches stuff despite using a catalyst and Shenhe (like most supports) doesn’t use her weapon at all. Nothing Venti does requires him to use a bow. Nahida would be busted no matter what weapon she used, Etc. Etc.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

delfin posted:

After three days of starfish-hunting, my Neuv is in a reasonable place -- level 61 and climbing, Proto Amber at 80, 4-piece MHunter. Now to focus on getting the right artifacts for a month.
after using Razor for five months it almost feels like cheating to use Neuvellette. Glad I decided to roll on him for the incredibly petty reason of "can shoot through shields"

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

UHD posted:

I don’t know if weapon choice really limits the character design space. Off the top of my head, Heizou punches stuff despite using a catalyst and Shenhe (like most supports) doesn’t use her weapon at all. Nothing Venti does requires him to use a bow. Nahida would be busted no matter what weapon she used, Etc. Etc.

I think Traveller is talking in terms of design, not mechanics

Kale
May 14, 2010

UHD posted:

Catalyst seems to have the most flexibility in how it's portrayed as a weapon honestly. Heizou and Wriothsley just punch stuff. Yae uses a Gohei wand, Ninguang chucks gemstones at you, Nahida plays hopscotch and it even looks like Charlotte is going to be using a camera as a weapon and taking photos of people as an attack.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Kale posted:

Catalyst seems to have the most flexibility in how it's portrayed as a weapon honestly. Heizou and Wriothsley just punch stuff. Yae uses a Gohei wand, Ninguang chucks gemstones at you, Nahida plays hopscotch and it even looks like Charlotte is going to be using a camera as a weapon and taking photos of people as an attack.
If that's true about Charlotte I hope she gets some dumb character moment with Chongyun where she uses her camera fatal frame style

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Leraika posted:

I think Traveller is talking in terms of design, not mechanics

It doesn’t makes sense in that context either

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

UHD posted:

It doesn’t makes sense in that context either

Yeah it does? Each HSR character has a uniquely designed "weapon" graphic and aren't beholden to weapon types so there's a lot more design space for things that wouldn't necessarily work in Genshin.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I don’t think a single accessory limits character aesthetic as much as you think

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Shinji2015 posted:

I still haven't forgiven Hoyo for making Traveler reject Ayaka's offer of a free kimono

I remember I had stopped playing for a while and thought Kazuha was actually Aether with a new outfit. I got to that part of the quest line and was like “finally I can get rid of this terrible outfit” and when he turned it down (or did Paimon turn it down for him) I was pissed.

Honestly I have no idea why they slack so hard on outfits in this game. It would be a money printer and it’s not like they need more money, but still why not? HI3 has always had a great outfit system imo because they will release premium currency outfits, pyramid gacha outfits, spending event outfits and event shop outfits so every type of player from spenders to f2p end up with outfits as long as they are currently playing. And f2p can even get some of the premium outfits, not just restricted to event shop outfits since many can be gotten with crystals instead of premium currency.

Meanwhile Genshin just drip feeds outfits and to me at least they are mid and not even that great (I feel like maybe half of them are good for what I like at least). It really makes no sense.

Edit:

Kale posted:

It doesn’t really need to be that restrictive. In HI3 the have characters who equip pistols but actually use a greatsword in combat animations, chakras user who actually uses *scissors* as a weapon etc. It’s the same company so they really don’t have to be as restrictive as they are being, and I think if they’re unwilling to add new weapon types it would add some variety to do some of this in Genshin too.

rio fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 9, 2023

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Nakar posted:

I wouldn't say Physblazer is extremely mediocre - they start losing ground later on but nowhere as quickly as non-Dendro Traveller. Their direct competition is Clara, who can definitely put out more damage but also plays very differently.

UHD posted:

I don’t think a single accessory limits character aesthetic as much as you think

Out of the Astral Express crew the only ones that could make it into Genshin mostly unchanged are March 7th (bow) and Dan Heng (spear). The Traiblazer has their variable weapons, Himeko has some weird chainsaw case thing, and Welt has a cane that he uses to summon black holes. The other characters have scythes, rifles, daggers, SMGs, grenade launchers, powerfists... it's just not a question, there is only so much Genshin can do with its five weapons even resorting to tricks like making all bare-handed fighters catalyst users.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010
Half of those are already in Genshin.

Neuvillette uses a cane, Childe uses daggers, Wriothsley uses a power fist, Clorinde uses a gun.

There are a couple of other characters with extra bits too, like Alhaitham using an offhand sword and Raiden with the cleavage sword.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

venti's ultimate creates a black hole but I guess since he doesn't do it with a cane it doesn't count

candace has a cool shield

fischl has Oz, literally the only reason most people use fischl in the first place

xinyan has a fire guitar

yae miko has her lightning totems

amber has an exploding rabbit

kirara turns into a goddamn catbox

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mika pulling out a cross bow and Collei throwing boomerangs in her normal attack combos is neat to me.

I don't really see what's stopping them from making someone with a 7 hit-combo that uses nunchuks while they're officially listed as a sword user though. Just on a coding standpoint alone.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

RareAcumen posted:

Mika pulling out a cross bow and Collei throwing boomerangs in her normal attack combos is neat to me.

I don't really see what's stopping them from making someone with a 7 hit-combo that uses nunchuks while they're officially listed as a sword user though. Just on a coding standpoint alone.

Don't forget Kuki throwing kunai in her combo!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

serefin99 posted:

Don't forget Kuki throwing kunai in her combo!

Oh and also Kaveh and Dori not even swinging their greatswords at all. I completely forgot about Kuki's auto combo.

The only thing I'm not expecting for future characters is a different control scheme. Like I'm not expecting anyone to have a combo list or play like Punch Out or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Traveller posted:

Out of the Astral Express crew the only ones that could make it into Genshin mostly unchanged are March 7th (bow) and Dan Heng (spear). The Traiblazer has their variable weapons, Himeko has some weird chainsaw case thing, and Welt has a cane that he uses to summon black holes. The other characters have scythes, rifles, daggers, SMGs, grenade launchers, powerfists... it's just not a question, there is only so much Genshin can do with its five weapons even resorting to tricks like making all bare-handed fighters catalyst users.
They can easily just basically ignore these or have a button a character uses to switch to a different weapon. Baizhu, Wanderer, Heizou, Wriothesley, Neuvilette, Yae, and Klee are all catalysts that don't really swing the book around.

Besides them, there's

Alhaitham: Dual wields swords in most of his animations.
Ayato: Spends most of his time using a water katana rather than his equipped sword.
Dehya: Uses her fists in most of her animations, including her burst.
Itto: Uses a spiked club during his burst, is barely ever going to be attacking outside of his burst.
Childe: I don't think this needs explaining.
Cyno: His burst state has him mostly attacking with claws.
Raiden: Uses a katana in her burst state.

And then there's edge cases where they use another weapon some, like Collei or Mika.

It's extremely easy to work around. If they wanted, iunno, Arlecchino to use a scythe, then they could just make her a polearm user who switches to a fire scythe with her skill or burst.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

After three years of dailies...

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

No Wave posted:

After three years of dailies...
I thought I was finally done with all the Mondstat dailies, I checked my achievements yesterday and saw 4/5 on Glory's dumb boyfriend. noooooooo. It'll be months until I ever get all the world quests from Inazuma dailies, don't make me go back

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

delfin posted:

love the positivity for thinking that it’s only going to take a month. i’ve given up and put him on 4 pc wanderer’s troupe because, one, they’re good enough where marechausse likely can’t keep up and, two, my mental well-being. same reason why wanderer is on 2 glad/2 vv and is a little shy of a 1m burst still

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
A month can get you pretty far. This is about a month of resin used on neuv (ie about 320 pieces farmed):

Sure sands and cup are garbage but can just be carried by highroll flower feather. I can't get his CR anywhere close to 100 without maruchessee, maybe sac jade could do better with three years of highroll wanderer. (I also have no double crit wanderer HP sands which is kind of incredible)

This build is also kind of bad because there's too much CD and not enough hp percent, in the future I'd like to replace some of that CD with HP. Though hydro resonance will mitigate this a lot.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Traveller posted:

I wouldn't say Physblazer is extremely mediocre - they start losing ground later on but nowhere as quickly as non-Dendro Traveller. Their direct competition is Clara, who can definitely put out more damage but also plays very differently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFucWXF9ewU
Behold the true ultimate weapon, the 6 star Yatta Brick

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

rio
Mar 20, 2008

How could I forget Senti as an example of why an equipped weapon doesn’t need to reflect what weapons they use in animations - equips gloves as primary weapon but attacks with a sword, a spear, a chain whip and a great sword all that can be used independently (or in various combinations, which is how the rotation goes). And now a loving brick added to that arsenal as of next patch.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
Anyone else finds that Neuv occasionally fails to generate water orbs for his CA? It usually happens when I use his skill but I've even seen his ult fail to do so despite clearly hitting. It happens nowhere near often enough to be a real issue but it somehow shocks me every time it happens.

https://i.imgur.com/FllKhH3.mp4

The orbs where there in the ult cinematic and he did the ca lift off animation but no CA came out, the skill cast did gave me enough to CA after the bot was dead.

Kale
May 14, 2010

rio posted:

How could I forget Senti as an example of why an equipped weapon doesn’t need to reflect what weapons they use in animations - equips gloves as primary weapon but attacks with a sword, a spear, a chain whip and a great sword all that can be used independently (or in various combinations, which is how the rotation goes). And now a loving brick added to that arsenal as of next patch.

For me its the fact that its a 6 star item which is something that doesnt exist in Genshin but appears to have been introduced to Honkai 3rd in its 4th year and guess what year of service Genshin just entered. Granted this games not as monetized as 3rd or even Star Rail IMO so not exactly expecting anything to go beyond 5 stars here.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

AParadox posted:

Anyone else finds that Neuv occasionally fails to generate water orbs for his CA? It usually happens when I use his skill but I've even seen his ult fail to do so despite clearly hitting. It happens nowhere near often enough to be a real issue but it somehow shocks me every time it happens.

https://i.imgur.com/FllKhH3.mp4

The orbs where there in the ult cinematic and he did the ca lift off animation but no CA came out, the skill cast did gave me enough to CA after the bot was dead.

The orbs did generate in that clip from what I can see. They form behind Neuv right around the edge of the screen and you can see as soon as you start the CA he gets healed multiple times for each orb being absorbed. My best guess on why the CA fizzled is maybe you just held the attack button a fraction of a second too short.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

So is Neuvilette the 5* character to get in the present/near future that's strong in the meta? Or target Furina and/or Baizhu?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Maxwells Demon posted:

So is Neuvilette the 5* character to get in the present/near future that's strong in the meta? Or target Furina and/or Baizhu?

you basically can't go wrong with any of them, but keep in mind Neuvillette wants a lot of on-field time and you'll be building teams around him while the other two should fit neatly into a lot of different comps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm noticing a lot of dropped words in the Unfinished Comedy quest. I hope they patch that soon.