Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I can't believe they made an American Dad manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
OC-insert fanfiction is a tradition almost as old as Arthurian lit itself, but I do like the take on Arthur basically considering Val a Protagonist for all the good and mostly ill that implies. That said, the Round Table is basically full of those, so he probably knows the deal by now. Arthur as basically Da Chief of a cop show is pretty much its own subgenre, really.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

SimonChris posted:

This is a very good question! There are actually three different versions of the death of Baldur, in the Poetic Edda, the Prose Edda, and Saxo's Gesta Danorum.

In the Poetic Edda, Hod kills Baldur, but it doesn't say why. In the later Prose Edda - compiled by Snorri Sturluson - Loki tricks Hod into killing Baldur. This is why a lot of people suspect that Evil Loki was added by Snorri to provide a Christianish Lucifer figure. In both versions, the gods avenge the killing of Baldur by killing Hod, not Loki, which lends some credence to this theory.

In Gesta Danorum, Hod and Baldur compete for the attention of Nanna - who is the daughter of the King of Norway in this version - and Hod kills Baldur as a result.

Valhalla combines elements of all three stories into an original narrative in which Loki only inadvertently causes the death of Baldur. This also means that Loki's later punishment gets relegated to a dream sequence at the start of the story. Valhalla Loki never turns entirely evil since this only happens in Snorri's version.

Wikipedia

quote:

Baldr was ceremonially burnt upon his ship Hringhorni, the largest of all ships. On the pyre he was given the magical ring Draupnir. At first the gods were not able to push the ship out onto sea, and so they sent for Hyrrokin, a giantess, who came riding on a wolf and gave the ship such a push that fire flashed from the rollers and all the earth shook.

As he was carried to the ship, Odin whispered something in his ear. The import of this speech was held to be unknowable,[15] and the question of what was said was thus used as an unanswerable riddle by Odin in other sources, namely against the giant Vafthrudnir in the Eddic poem Vafthrudnismal and in the riddles of Gestumblindi in Hervarar saga.

Upon seeing the corpse being carried to the ship, Nanna, his wife, died of grief. She was then placed on the funeral fire (perhaps a toned-down instance of Sati, also attested in the Arab traveller Ibn Fadlan’s account of a funeral among the Rus'), after which it was set on fire. Baldr's horse with all its trappings was also laid on the pyre.

As the pyre was set on fire, Thor blessed it with his hammer Mjǫllnir. As he did a small dwarf named Litr came running before his feet. Thor then kicked him into the pyre.

Guess Thor prefers imperial

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The Bugle Call: The Two Grand Towers.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

You know, I don't remember Baldur being such a dick in the original myths. At least the version I read. I'd thought the intent was that it's a tragedy because Baldur is supposed to be the best of the gods, but here I can't help but feel that Hod was justified in being pissed off at him. Maybe not to the point of actually killing him, but still

Spirit Circle

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

SimonChris posted:

This is a very good question! There are actually three different versions of the death of Baldur, in the Poetic Edda, the Prose Edda, and Saxo's Gesta Danorum.

In the Poetic Edda, Hod kills Baldur, but it doesn't say why. In the later Prose Edda - compiled by Snorri Sturluson - Loki tricks Hod into killing Baldur. This is why a lot of people suspect that Evil Loki was added by Snorri to provide a Christianish Lucifer figure. In both versions, the gods avenge the killing of Baldur by killing Hod, not Loki, which lends some credence to this theory.

In Gesta Danorum, Hod and Baldur compete for the attention of Nanna - who is the daughter of the King of Norway in this version - and Hod kills Baldur as a result.

Valhalla combines elements of all three stories into an original narrative in which Loki only inadvertently causes the death of Baldur. This also means that Loki's later punishment gets relegated to a dream sequence at the start of the story. Valhalla Loki never turns entirely evil since this only happens in Snorri's version.

Ah neat. Somehow I'd never heard of the Gesta Danorum

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Owl at Home posted:

Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (Jan 3-10, 1943)

Prince Valiant and the Tasteless Trick'd Pict

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm not sorry

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Lavender Jack

I love the sense of sublime confidence it takes both for Hawthorne to tell Ferrier "yes, I am a very bad and dangerous person" and Ferrier to plow on ahead regardless.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Super hype for Lavender Jack right now.

Something that came to me after I slept on it: Hod can't see but hell, Baldur truly is blind, isn't he? Guy just keeps shoving his foot further into his mouth, has no idea how he's hurting his brother. Thinking about it, he's been pretty consistently characterised as kinda naïve and oblivious for the whole of Valhalla, hasn't he?

Anyway, I've been kind of dreading this moment because of the whole snake and son's guts bit. I have to say though - I wasn't expecting it to be this... farcical. Loki, you idiot.

You're a menace, BYP!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The Bikini Bottom Horror

KennyMan666 posted:

Chapter 8, Wrath and Friendship

Chapter 9, Escape!

Sandy if [sic] forced to make a decision.

As hundreds of hands burst from the ground to rip apart all they can grab, Sandy fights for her life.

There was no post yesterday because I was away all day but now we return to your regularly scheduled Spongebob comics.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Spacetrawler

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

His Divine Shadow posted:

Wikipedia

Guess Thor prefers imperial
no no, the fire wasn't ready, he needed a Litr

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Emzedoh posted:

Super hype for Lavender Jack

Me too! What a find, I've been loving it!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

School of World

Offering

One more Jean Wei short coming tomorrow (she's got a few more on her website: https://jeanwei.com/sequential) and after that: something else!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Emzedoh posted:

Super hype for Lavender Jack right now.

Oh extremely the same.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

GREAT
by Ryan Armand

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Tendales posted:

Generally in the myths, Loki's ultimate punishment wasn't for the death of Baldur, but rather for going on a bender of mockery, calling out all of the gods for their bullshit (real or imagined) and trampling the rules of hospitality until they finally strapped him to a rock just to shut him up.

At least in the Gylfaginning version (I forget which Edda that is), Loki's punishment is a result of Loki orchestrating Baldr's death, foiling the effort to rescue Baldr from the realm of the dead and then getting drunk and talking poo poo about Baldr and everyone else, whereupon the gods decide that they're sick of his poo poo and it's time to put him away for good. There's a bit where Hel offers to let Baldr free if every living being will cry for him, and the only one who refuses is a bitter old hermit who is clearly Loki in disguise, and the gods know it's him but don't do anything about it. (spoilered just in case it will be part of the comic's plot) I've always read it as them wanting to punish him for the Baldr thing, but being unable because he had technically observed the customs of hospitality, and so they lept at the opportunity to nail him on a technicality.

I've also heard the version where Loki is worried for Baldr's safety because of his prophetic dreams and offers Hodr the mistletoe because he thinks it'll be harmless, but I've never come across a primary source. Maybe that part is originally from the comic.

E: Baldr being a dick, and also peepin on Nanna in the bath and the part where Hodr tracks down a magic troll sword, are all from the Gesta Danorum version. The Eddas passively describe him as the wisest and kindest and most gracious of the Aesir, though he doesn't really appear anywhere outside of the myth of his death.

Zulily Zoetrope has a new favorite as of 03:33 on Oct 9, 2023

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

TEN
EARTH
SHATTERING
BLOWS

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Last time, on Vigils for Friends:

Today: Extremely unhelpful ghost, this one.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

#273: Mad Doctorate - Hairdryer Plus Tub

#274: Mad Doctorate - Military Intelligence

#275: Mad Doctorate - Fodder Force Uberpower

Now that the Uber team has been deployed, looks like everything is in hand. Might as well go home.

MS Paint Masterpieces
#277: Mad Doctorate - Guns For Christmas

#278: Mad Doctorate - Proof Of Foolishness

#279: Mad Doctorate - Bubble Man's Older Brother

I like the segment where he talks about how he could have done better, I don't think it shows up in a lot of comics and it's a good way of showing that Rock is a quick learner without making it a superpower.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

At least in the Gylfaginning version (I forget which Edda that is), Loki's punishment is a result of Loki orchestrating Baldr's death, foiling the effort to rescue Baldr from the realm of the dead and then getting drunk and talking poo poo about Baldr and everyone else, whereupon the gods decide that they're sick of his poo poo and it's time to put him away for good. There's a bit where Hel offers to let Baldr free if every living being will cry for him, and the only one who refuses is a bitter old hermit who is clearly Loki in disguise, and the gods know it's him but don't do anything about it. (spoilered just in case it will be part of the comic's plot) I've always read it as them wanting to punish him for the Baldr thing, but being unable because he had technically observed the customs of hospitality, and so they lept at the opportunity to nail him on a technicality.

I've also heard the version where Loki is worried for Baldr's safety because of his prophetic dreams and offers Hodr the mistletoe because he thinks it'll be harmless, but I've never come across a primary source. Maybe that part is originally from the comic.

E: Baldr being a dick, and also peepin on Nanna in the bath and the part where Hodr tracks down a magic troll sword, are all from the Gesta Danorum version. The Eddas passively describe him as the wisest and kindest and most gracious of the Aesir, though he doesn't really appear anywhere outside of the myth of his death.

Maybe the medieval monks bringing this down to us felt like Jesusing up Baldur the same way they Sataned the hell (heh) out of (into) Loki? You know, the whole he died for your sins angle?

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 19: Eulogy to the Future

Man, I wish could pose dramatically against my family crest like that. One more chapter in the volume.

Japan Tengu Party Illustrated chapter 16: Of Departure

Shinobu goes into hiding.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's really hard actually getting accurate accounts of a lot of 'pagan' religion and myths because so much of it is from accounts that were clearly distorting it to make everything fit a Christian narrative, sometimes flat out making poo poo up as necessary. It's even worse than more modern pop culture just slapping familiar templates onto it to make a cheap narrative, like turning Hades into Satan and Hercules into Jesus-Superman.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

the holy poopacy posted:

Barbarian Boromir is one of the many bits cribbed off of the Ralph Bakshi animated LotR. Where Bakshi got it from, I dunno. But he did do the Frank Frazetta collab Fire & Ice so the dude probably just liked barbaroans.

Ahh, okay! That makes sense. (You'd think the orcs would leave plenty of scope for exploring the barbarian aesthetic.)
It's been really interesting reading this Rings adaptation, so thanks for posting it. It's like... the story and the characters are all there, and the artist has done a great job, but it feels like they haven't sought to catch that air of... grief?... that makes LotR what it is. I'm not sure it's possible to express it in a comic drawn to a deadline, though.

This raises an interesting point: what would Foster think of this stuff? Would he be absolutely horrified? Or would he shrug and say "why do you think I spent decades carefully drawing gleaming shirtless musclemen and slender maids in clinging dresses?"

Samovar posted:

Last time, on Vigils for Friends:

I used to skip VfF, but it's a definite favorite now. It's so *british* somehow. It would make an excellent sitcom.

rodbeard posted:

I like it, but I'm not going to be at a computer to buy anything until tomorrow night.

You're somewhere between the 25th and 30th poster to have a Bucket av, I think?

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

On a similar note, I did often find myself wondering what Chie Shinkyu would make of BPD's cult of the Food Gobbo.

I've been thinking a thought about the LotR comic, but I've been having a bit of trouble putting it into words. There's just something... dry about it. Superficial. Technically proficient, but unimaginative. I'm starting to suspect the artist wasn't much of a fan. Don't stop posting though. I'm still working my way through the thought.

Edit: I like bobble-hat's guileless smiley faces in VfF

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The question about Tolkien is, do you get that weird bright ache behind the ribs from reading:
We still remember, we who dwell
in this far land beneath the trees
the starlight on the western seas

I think the artist probably didn't, and without that, it's just swords and walking and tunics.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's a translation of a translation of an adaptation of an adaptation. To be honest, I'm impressed that as much of the feel of Tolkien has survived as it has.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

The question about Tolkien is, do you get that weird bright ache behind the ribs from reading:
We still remember, we who dwell
in this far land beneath the trees
the starlight on the western seas

I think the artist probably didn't, and without that, it's just swords and walking and tunics.

Where now the forum and the poster? Where is the keyboard that was tapping?
Where is the mouse and the thread, and the bright shitpost flowing?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Valhalla

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
thankyou wizard master

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

That's a rather sweet ending to this issue of Valhalla - I rather expecting more, you know, death, destruction, the Twilight of the Gods, the whole thing with the snake and the guts. I formally retract my statement that Baldur should get hosed. One thing though - I'm not totally hip to the politics of it, but I've got a feeling a disability advocate might get a bit sore about Hod needing to see himself to get his self-respect back. Just a feeling I have.

Chapter 1: An Easy and Filling Italian Casserole

I kinda want to try this recipe, though I suspect it might end up a little plain. More bacon? Some kind of sauce? Not sure what it might need.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

wizard master bless us, every one

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Thanks whizzy, how would I ever know that bad comics exist without you posting them.
:nallears:

E: that recipe seems interesting I'll give it a try some time.

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 08:51 on Oct 9, 2023

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the creator of pizzacakecomic should be tried at the Hague

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I had this belief that, you know, all art has its own value, and that it's inherently good for people to experiment with artistic expression, no matter their skill level.
Wizard Master hath shown me the folly of this notion

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The Lord of the Rings

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Margaret Day one is funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I do actually regret doing this thing but I believe in sharing my mistakes as well as my triumphs: (linked because it has little to do with the goal of this thread and you may wish to not hear about the ongoing violence at all)

https://images4.imagebam.com/4a/b3/aa/MEPDVTF_o.png