Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

biznatchio posted:

He's still alive, you bastard.

Where do you think we are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Annabel Pee posted:

I think he's thinking of John Mahoney.

I am.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

God drat.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

This is the perfect reply.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

After watching just some of this long promo by Paramount, I am less than excited about the new series:
https://youtu.be/8f1GsC58cFc

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

BigBadSteve posted:

After watching just some of this long promo by Paramount, I am less than excited about the new series:
https://youtu.be/8f1GsC58cFc

Not a good sign that the promo really seems to drag, after about halfway through I had to turn it off.

Also, by the point I got to (almost literally halfway) it was really emphasising how hard they were specifically trying to recycle the idea from the start of the original run of Frasier with a father/son incompatibility dynamic.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Does anyone want to watch this 2.5 hour video about Frasier on Cheers and tell me if it's any good?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89_0jkBPVps

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Uh-oh. Alan Sepinwall isn't impressed.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
It doesn’t look funny imo. Will not watch

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm scared to watch it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm not going to watch it, because I'd rather Frasier - the character - end on a high note than whatever embarrassing "comedy" dreck that 2023 has to offer. But I'm disappointed that the relationship with Charlotte didn't work. My ending of the story would have had Frasier and Charlotte living happily ever after.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Frasier is living in Chicago, has a health incident, a newly divorced Niles moves to Chicago to live with him and take care of him. His son comes, too, for some reason. New characters include a sassy Australian home health worker who takes care of Frasier who Niles' son is obsessed with.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i appreciate them making a frasier reboot since it illuminates how frasier himself was one of the weakest parts of frasier

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

GolfHole posted:

i appreciate them making a frasier reboot since it illuminates how frasier himself was one of the weakest parts of frasier

And one of the weakest parts of cheers

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
On the other hand this review seems positive? https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/oct/09/frasier-reboot-review-new-paramount-plus-kelsey-grammer

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Just saw a bus ad for it. Made me sad.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Not getting Trevor Einhorn to play Freddy feels like a misstep to me

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Also the show should be completely different and shouldn't be happening at all

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Does anyone want to watch this 2.5 hour video about Frasier on Cheers and tell me if it's any good?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89_0jkBPVps
Watched it a couple of days ago. It's good.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Dokapon Findom posted:

Yeah this is one of the most fundamentally stupid things about it

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Dokapon Findom posted:

Maybe he said no to the offer since it was a trashfire?

It's not like they "didnt get" Daphne, Niles, or Roz... they said no... just like he probably did

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Frasier is back, in Game Boy Color (I found if you download the game you need to change the rom extension from .gb .gbc but YMMV on that)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWZY80NHKK8

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Elephunk posted:

Maybe he said no to the offer since it was a trashfire?

It's not like they "didnt get" Daphne, Niles, or Roz... they said no... just like he probably did

I deffo could see him thinking that reminding people that he used to be the kid in Frasier could be bad for his career now that he's doing pretty okay for himself.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

codo27 posted:

https://youtu.be/aorUJlAPdbc?si=BsNlPt5cm4u4Cyns

Maybe my impression is tainted by being aware of his real life politics. But something about this gives me almost a... whatever the name of that evil faced televangelist is vibe

Which one?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

He's one of the more famous ones, he looks like when the bad guy in The Mask puts on the mask.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

GolfHole posted:

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm only about five minutes into the first episode but it's certainly different from the original series... Was the laugh track always so obvious?

The last 10 minutes is getting a few chuckles out of me, though, so that's something.

Octy fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 12, 2023

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I think either it gets dialled down or you get used to it.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
Someone at work shared this today: Our Frasier Remake

It's many different people recreating little tiny chunks of the episode "My Coffee With Niles", mostly animated but occasionally just people literally doing it themselves, with "acting". The voice for Daphne is abysmal.

It's no Cyberfrunk 2077 though.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Watched the first two episodes and the laugh track definitely stood out, but I think that's maybe because laugh tracks are so rare in newly produced shows? I dunno. I didn't hate what I watched but it feels too early to tell if this show can be good yet. Certainly not as good as old Frasier though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I sincerely can't remember the last "new" show that had a laugh track, it's fascinating how universally that got left behind.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Post-Frasier, you have, what? Brooklyn 99, Parks & Rec. I've watched two seasons almost of the Office waiting for it to get good. Any other worthwhile sitcoms?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Abbott Elementary is great.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The pilot was TERRIBLE, but the second one was OK. New Niles is loving terrible, though.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

NYT and WaPo agree the reboot tries too hard to capture the 'Martin & Frasier' vibe. I don't want to watch it...the new Roseanne killed the character (metaphorically before literally, the actual killing off was unavoidable) and I don't want to go through that again

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I think one of the big differences (and Sepinwall touches on it in his review) is how good the Charles brothers and those writers were in sketching out their characters and watching them clash together.

Take the CHEERS pilot. It's crazy how well defined everyone is from the first episode. It doesn't feel like a first episode at all. You get a similar thing from FRASIER too right from the off. Part of that is just the stellar casting (both shows have jokes that shouldn't work on the page, but when you give them to the right people they know how to get a laugh out of them) but the approach to writing feels different than what we get now.

Like, this new version feels like it could be a show called DAD! and it would be exactly the same thing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

codo27 posted:

Post-Frasier, you have, what? Brooklyn 99, Parks & Rec. I've watched two seasons almost of the Office waiting for it to get good. Any other worthwhile sitcoms?

In the more traditional vein there's the Mindy Project, Superstore, probably more. Out on the fringes of the genre you have the gems of Always Sunny and Silicon Valley.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
New Girl is definitely worth watching. It has its rough patches -- they swap out a character after the pilot, bring him back for a season or two later on, Zooey is out for half a season and replaced by Megan Fox, etc. -- but overall it's a pretty great ride. Definitely the last sitcom I really got into. It has a good mix of obvious slapstick and weirder idiosyncratic stuff.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

PittTheElder posted:

In the more traditional vein there's the Mindy Project, Superstore, probably more. Out on the fringes of the genre you have the gems of Always Sunny and Silicon Valley.

Best of the current crop of fringe stuff is What We Do In The Shadows for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Oh, and if you can deal with musical comedy, I highly recommend Crazy Ex Girlfriend.