Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I disagree about cowboys vs aliens. It's got han solo hamming it up while cosplaying as a rancher cowboy, a guy falls into a river while taking a poo poo, and aliens that make no goddamn sense.

Definitely worth a watch. Hell, even Craig's American accent wasn't as horrible as it was in tomb raider 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The thing I remember about Sky Captain is that it seemed very empty. By which I mean you had all these scenes that should have been populated by crowds and it was just the two stars walking around city streets.

It was a cool demo reel and you knew you were witnessing the early use of a game-changing technology (like seeing Last Starfighter in the theater as a kid), but it was also just a strangely vacant film.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Phanatic posted:

The thing I remember about Sky Captain is that it seemed very empty. By which I mean you had all these scenes that should have been populated by crowds and it was just the two stars walking around city streets.

It was a cool demo reel and you knew you were witnessing the early use of a game-changing technology (like seeing Last Starfighter in the theater as a kid), but it was also just a strangely vacant film.

That's a great way to describe it. The art direction was really nice, it was just so empty and kinda boring

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Armacham posted:

That's a great way to describe it. The art direction was really nice, it was just so empty and kinda boring

Please stop discussing my extremely detailed and realistic drawings of alien vaginas

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Phanatic posted:

[Star wars meme]I like the idea os Sky Captain.[/]

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Megillah Gorilla posted:

[Star wars meme]I like the idea os Sky Captain.[/]

poo poo, that pretty much sums it up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Phanatic posted:

I didn't really like Sky Captain, and like it even less now, because one of the things it was a demo reel for was using technology to resurrect dead actors. They did a hell of a lot better a job than some movies since, mind you.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I liked Sky Captain because I also liked the old game Crimson Skies. I get it's one of those inspired by old serials things, and my problem is that if there was more Sky Captain the episode with the robots would be one of the worse ones.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i hated sky captain on my initial watch. didnt know what to expect i guess. rewatching was an absolute treat and i loved it. Jude Law was great

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I liked Sky Captain because I also liked the old game Crimson Skies. I get it's one of those inspired by old serials things, and my problem is that if there was more Sky Captain the episode with the robots would be one of the worse ones.

Same, i loved it pretty much just because of that.

Agreed it felt a bit empty, but still loved its vibe.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Ok, I thought Sky Captain was dogshit because I like the old serials, and it was a wretched and perfunctory version of those.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

And now I'm just mad we haven't gotten a Crimson Skies game in 20 years.

I'm assuming some sort of issue regarding the developer or publisher going under and the license being in some sort of no-man's land?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

And now I'm just mad we haven't gotten a Crimson Skies game in 20 years.

I'm assuming some sort of issue regarding the developer or publisher going under and the license being in some sort of no-man's land?

Microsoft should still have the license.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Crimson Skies' backstory started feeling a little too real there for a while in 2020, but I'd be up for it.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
My IMM is the last 5 minutes of King of Killers, a generic and by-the-numbers assassin vs. assassin beat-em-up. They could have ended the movie with generic white guy just barely beating Frank Grillo, getting his money, and leaving but instead they try to set up some stupid sequel that’ll never happen about the VERY REAL GUYS I PROMISE assassin Illuminati.

They then have Stephen Dorf do a heel-turn for no reason and the first assassin somehow come back from the dead? Just stop it, guys.

I would have simply forgotten about this flick ten minutes after watching it if they hadn’t added that wholly unnecessary stuff at the end, whereas now I’m posting my frustrations online two days later, giving this movie far more mental energy than it warrants.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Sadly the only non Indiana Jones pulp movie that really hits the mark is The Rocketeer. There are likely more out there but damned if that wasn't THE ONE at the time. I say the time realizing it came out in 91 and now I feel old :(

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Every time someone mentions the Rocketeer, I'm reminded of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht5R5XxH-60

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

SimonChris posted:

I have been looking for this clip for ages, and now I have no idea why I didn't find it earlier.

Didn't some goon splice this into the actual film when they gave their friend a homeburned DVD and then didn't say anything? Because that thought always cracks me up.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

SimonChris posted:

Lmao

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

TGG posted:

Sadly the only non Indiana Jones pulp movie that really hits the mark is The Rocketeer. There are likely more out there but damned if that wasn't THE ONE at the time. I say the time realizing it came out in 91 and now I feel old :(

The Mummy movies with Brendan Frazier are quality pulp. At least, the first one is.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The first Mummy is enough evidence that Brendan Frasier would have been perfect taking over for Indiana Jones.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I, too, wish Bogdan Frogurt had had a less tragic life and a more lustrous career

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I have been looking for this clip for ages, and now I have no idea why I didn't find it earlier.

Didn't some goon splice this into the actual film when they gave their friend a homeburned DVD and then didn't say anything? Because that thought always cracks me up.

I thought it was they hosted a study break movie night and played that version.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm reminded of the person who recut Toy Story 3 to cut to credits once they all clasped hands on the conveyor belt heading into the incinerator. Then filmed their family's reaction, it was gold.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

The Mummy movies with Brendan Frazier are quality pulp. At least, the first one is.

Yeah, first Mummy is an all-time classic. Second one is still decent, but suffers a lot from them deciding to sideline their extremely charming leads in favour of a very annoying child character.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Wow, I feel like an idiot for forgetting the Mummy movies. The first was pure pulp fun and drat was Brendan Fraser great.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I heard Brendan Fraser on a podcast recently and he seems to be doing pretty well now and sounding happy and I am very glad.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

SimonChris posted:

Oh my God the fade in to the sad reading of the letter.

"He should have died in here."

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The Mill - if you find yourself taken captive by an evil computer, maybe stop antagonizing it so much.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The Mill - if you find yourself taken captive by an evil computer, maybe stop antagonizing it so much.

You're no fun. :colbert:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

dr_rat posted:

You're no fun. :colbert:

Pissing it off is just going to make it even more evil. All he had to do was say thank you instead of getting angry at the reward for doing a good job.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, first Mummy is an all-time classic. Second one is still decent, but suffers a lot from them deciding to sideline their extremely charming leads in favour of a very annoying child character.

has there ever been a time where the new child character actually improved poo poo?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I've read I have no mouth, and I must scream. I'm either going to die or bring the machine down, I might as well piss off the silicon god in the process.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Cowslips Warren posted:

has there ever been a time where the new child character actually improved poo poo?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Cowslips Warren posted:

The greatest movie sequel of all time, Terminator 2.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

mycot posted:

The greatest movie sequel of all time, Terminator 2.

The greatest movie sequel of all time, Aliens, as well.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

James Cameron used to be so good

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Cowslips Warren posted:

The Bible

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

But only because they had the guts to kill him off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Armacham posted:

James Cameron used to be so good

He still is, but he used to be as well.

(I haven't seen Avat2r, no idea if it's a piece of poo poo or not)