Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Is there a current standard rec for console-style ITX cases? I'm thinking about moving some old parts into a box that'd sit in my entertainment center and run Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Best you can get right now is probably the Fractal Ridge. It's expensive but its the closest to a console form factor around right now. I've seen a few maniacs who've put 4090s in them.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
okay im getting a sliger cerberus, kraken 280mm AIO, and an asus TUFFF BOI am4 m-atx to replace my 2006 Lian Li. the PSU sitting over the CPU is gonna bug me, but i don’t care to spent another ~$200 on an stx(?) psu when my 850w corsair atx works

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

njsykora posted:

Best you can get right now is probably the Fractal Ridge. It's expensive but its the closest to a console form factor around right now. I've seen a few maniacs who've put 4090s in them.

If you have the depth the ridge is what I'd run with

If you don't have enough depth but you still want a full size gpu, you can get the case I did, in a very xbox series x form factor, the sliger sv540, but you probably can't because it's out of production

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 18, 2023

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

njsykora posted:

HalloKitty posted:

If you have the depth the ridge is what I'd run with

If you don't have enough depth but you still want a full size gpu, you can get the case I did, in a very xbox series x form factor, the sliger sv540, but you probably can't because it's out of production

This is helpful. I do need a horizontal orientation and I've got 16" depth and 6.5" height to play with. I'd be putting a 5600X and a 2070 Super in there and that's about it, so not the most difficult requirements.

It looks like the Ridge works, I was also looking at Sliger's CL530 which is on clearance as it's also being discontinued. Will go deeper on those two. Thanks!

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Was wanting to look into replacing the psu cables in my system, hoping it might help with thermals and also look nicer, but it seems like it might be more complicated/risky than I originally thought.

How do you know for a fact the cables will work with your psu and not destroy everything?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

dkj posted:

Was wanting to look into replacing the psu cables in my system, hoping it might help with thermals and also look nicer, but it seems like it might be more complicated/risky than I originally thought.

How do you know for a fact the cables will work with your psu and not destroy everything?
They probably won't destroy everything if something goes wrong. But generally, buy from a reputable source that makes them for your specific build. There are a few vendors that have great reputations and will work with you to get it right if something is weird.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

mega dy posted:

They probably won't destroy everything if something goes wrong. But generally, buy from a reputable source that makes them for your specific build. There are a few vendors that have great reputations and will work with you to get it right if something is weird.
what vendors tho

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cablemod are the big company that most everyone trusts with PSU cables. They have a compatibility checker on their site so go there, pick your PSU and it'll say which of their products are known compatible. They'll also do custom cables if you want to get really crazy.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

dkj posted:

I've bought from ModDIY including my current 4090 12vhpwr-to-Corsair SF750. Works perfectly.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

I have dreambigbyray (on etsy) cables for my sf750, which are good but are not 100% the exact length I ordered. I got a moddiy 12vhpwr in the ultra soft silicon when I got my 4080, which has been good and was the correct length. Ray used the be the budget option with pslate being the nicer custom maker. Not sure if thats true anymore.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

+1 for PSlate Customs

they're on the pricier side & can be slow if you don't shell out for expedited processing

but the quality & customer service were worth it: when i ordered VGA power cables for my M1 build, they reached out to ask if i had a 180° adapter so i could close the side panel & included a link if i needed one as well as a picture in case i was clueless

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

denereal visease posted:

+1 for PSlate Customs

they're on the pricier side & can be slow if you don't shell out for expedited processing

but the quality & customer service were worth it: when i ordered VGA power cables for my M1 build, they reached out to ask if i had a 180° adapter so i could close the side panel & included a link if i needed one as well as a picture in case i was clueless

I'll also shill for PSlate. Customer service is spot on, and they were happy to work with me and provide custom quotes for a custom spec I wrote up, including checking my work on things like wire gauge vs. expected current throughput to ensure my enthusiast rear end didn't accidentally create a fire hazard.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

I’ll check those out. I really appreciate the help, thank you!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
wtf sliger really isn’t lying about that 10-day backlog :mad:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah ordering my Sliger CL530 took some time. I think it was like a 2 week backlog. Worth the wait though. I really like the muted industrial design and the case is nice and sturdy. Only con was that my case came with a bag of screws and I was left figuring out assembly on my own. I never used a lot of those screws, dunno what they do.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I built an ITX computer in 2017 (using the H200i, so not really an ITX case). I got laid off from my job, and I'm getting a very healthy severance so I want to build a high end computer (7800x3d and a 4080 / 4090 / whatever the AMD equivalent is).

What is the best ITX case for GPUs that size?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

What is the best ITX case for GPUs that size?

the fractal design ridge looks pretty good if you want the console form factor, and it looks like the updated ncase m1 is shipping in waves. Either should support any (air-cooled) high-end gpu

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Some popular cases:

Formd T1 V2
Louqe Ghost S1 / Raw S1
Cooler Master NR200
SSUPD Meshlicious / Meshroom
Ncase M1
Dan A4 SFX / A4-H2O
Fractal Terra
Sliger S620 / Conswole

Youll have to compare/contrast the specific GPU width and length numbers for all of em to make sure they fit and it will really depend on what card you go with. Top end air cooled cards can range from 360mm to 276mm, so theres a wide range.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm helping a friend build a "casual gamers" SFF PC without a GPU with the idea that she'll use the onboard GPU until a more demanding game is released that requires it. She's only going to be doing light 1080p gaming - Minecraft, Sims 4/5, Stardew.

My parts list is available here, is there anything I should swap out, or does everything look good? Normally I go with MSI motherboards, but their ITX boards are rather pricy. I'd also normally go with a Corsair SFX PSU, but they only seem to have SFF-L format over 750 watts.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($177.10 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool R-AN600-BKNNMN-G 61.56 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($134.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Terra Mini ITX Desktop Case ($179.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Lian Li SP850 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($136.37 @ Amazon)
Total: $963.42

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-06 13:08 EDT-0400

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Deepcool AN600 is basically the same as the AXP 120-X67 afaik, go for the one that's cheaper. 850W PSU is massively overkill even with the eventual GPU, everything else looks fine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It would be a good idea to find 3600 CL 16 RAM, which will be a bit faster. RAM speed is probably even more important if you plan on heavy integrated GPU use.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It would be a good idea to find 3600 CL 16 RAM, which will be a bit faster. RAM speed is probably even more important if you plan on heavy integrated GPU use.

And savings to boot!

$90 via the newest egg

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model CMK32GX4M2D3600C16

Or if you require some vitamin d.

CORSAIR Vengeance RGB RT 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) AMD Optimized Desktop Memory Model CMN32GX4M2Z3600C16

Or if you are not hooked on Corsair or the annoying lights

Mushkin Enhanced Redline Stiletto 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model MRF4U360GKKP16GX2

I've been running 4x sticks of RGB RT RGB pairs for a year now, zero problems. Paid like $140/pair back then.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
trying to cram everything into the Sliger Cerebus is such a pain in the dick that i’m exchanging it for a Cerebus X. playing motherboard/AIO origami gets old very quick

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This is an interesting mITX option for Zen 4: https://videocardz.com/newz/minisforum-bd770i-motherboard-with-ryzen-7-7745hx-cpu-costs-399

It's an mITX board with a 7745HX mobile CPU soldered in and integrated heatsink. The downsides are the complete lack of upgradeable CPU, the use of SO-DIMM memory slots, and anemic rear I/O due to the lack of a chipset (only four USB-A ports, one USB-C). But it comes with two PCIe 5.0 m.2 slots and an PCIe 5.0 x16 slot, and it's just $400 for the whole thing, making it a pretty good value. The 7745HX is only a little worse than a 7700 when running at full power, and it comes without an IHS, so thermal management may be pretty easy with the included low-profile heatsink.

I dunno, may be a good budget ITX option? Or as the videocardz article points out, an option for high-performance storage servers.

edit: There's no memory overclocking support and the max specified memory speed is DDR5-5200. There are DDR5-5600 SO-DIMMs on newegg, but I'm guessing those are off the table. That may limit gaming performance a little if you're trying to put a fast GPU in there.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 30, 2023

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I want one :haw:

pentium166
Oct 15, 2012
If I didn't have too much hardware already, I wouldn't mind something like that with one of the 7040 RDNA3 parts

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Gimme socketed chipset-less boards, AMD!!!

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
A coworker recommended a stick PC (plugs into HDMI) for traveling to watch Netflix and things. Well I bought AIOEXPC PC Stick Mini Computer and am returning it immediately because can't even run browsers, let alone streaming media. Does anyone have any recommended sticks like this or are they all poo poo

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

LegoMan posted:

A coworker recommended a stick PC (plugs into HDMI) for traveling to watch Netflix and things. Well I bought AIOEXPC PC Stick Mini Computer and am returning it immediately because can't even run browsers, let alone streaming media. Does anyone have any recommended sticks like this or are they all poo poo

stick PCs are all gonna be poo poo unless you want to spend several hundreds of dollars getting something with a proper CPU/GPU. Maybe try looking at refurbished USFF office PCs on eBay for $80-200. They’ll be a bit bigger than a stick, but not by much and they’ll be able to take many hours of use without complaint. Plus if you get a new enough one you can do some light steam gaming or moderate emulation on it (or heavy steam gaming with Steam link if your connection is good).

Keep in mind that a lot of streaming services top out at 720p on desktop as an “antipiracy” measure, regardless of whether you’re trying to use said computer as a HTPC or not.

Something like a Roku stick/puck for $30-60 or an AppleTV for a lot more than that (but with notably snappier performance) will let you access streaming services and also AirPlay from an Apple device if you’re so inclined (Roku does Airplay now) but IDK how either device would handle being constantly setup and taken down from various hotel rooms, etc.

I think Roku would be fairly simple but pairing it to a new wifi network frequently would get tiring fast, and IDK if AppleTV would just make you set the whole thing up again from scratch with every unplug, but I can’t imagine it would be that much more annoying than adding your stick PC/HTPC to hotel wireless

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

yeah i generally use a Shield TV tube when I used to be on the road for extended periods, dont need to pack the remote because of the Shield app on the phone.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Cygni posted:

yeah i generally use a Shield TV tube when I used to be on the road for extended periods, dont need to pack the remote because of the Shield app on the phone.

I would have assumed by now that hotel WiFi is doing client isolation to give their guests some security, rendering the Shield App as a remote useless?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Moey posted:

I would have assumed by now that hotel WiFi is doing client isolation to give their guests some security, rendering the Shield App as a remote useless?

I use a tiny $20 glinet travel router (also the way to handle dastardly bullshit hotels that only let you to have one device on WiFi at a time)

if you travel a lot, it’s a must.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Moey posted:

I would have assumed by now

love you

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Moey posted:

I've been to huge tech events where you can run a wifi scanner and see all the other clients. A hotel? Good luck

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Moey posted:

your mom is doing client isolation

HalloKitty posted:

I've been to huge tech events where you can run a wifi scanner and see all the other clients. A hotel? Good luck

your mom’s a wifi scanner

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
finally got all the parts (minus the cable mod cables) for my Sliger Cerebus X with an mATX AM4 mobo

used a few Noctua Industrial fans I had from my old, huge case, and squeezed in some 120x15mm fans in the top and bottom front for additional intake. my ambient is high because nobody has AC in this loving town, but idle temps sit around 40-45 with 65-70 at load. you'd really have to get choosey to find a full-size ATX that would fit in this case without blocking a header, but an mATX board has just enough room to be cozy without the GPU fans sitting right on top of the AIO fans. it isn't insanely compact as the ITX cases, but it's a lot less intrusive than my ~2006 Lian Li V2100 midtower and it didn't require too much origami to put together

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This is an interesting mITX option for Zen 4: https://videocardz.com/newz/minisforum-bd770i-motherboard-with-ryzen-7-7745hx-cpu-costs-399

It's an mITX board with a 7745HX mobile CPU soldered in and integrated heatsink. The downsides are the complete lack of upgradeable CPU, the use of SO-DIMM memory slots, and anemic rear I/O due to the lack of a chipset (only four USB-A ports, one USB-C). But it comes with two PCIe 5.0 m.2 slots and an PCIe 5.0 x16 slot, and it's just $400 for the whole thing, making it a pretty good value. The 7745HX is only a little worse than a 7700 when running at full power, and it comes without an IHS, so thermal management may be pretty easy with the included low-profile heatsink.

I dunno, may be a good budget ITX option? Or as the videocardz article points out, an option for high-performance storage servers.

edit: There's no memory overclocking support and the max specified memory speed is DDR5-5200. There are DDR5-5600 SO-DIMMs on newegg, but I'm guessing those are off the table. That may limit gaming performance a little if you're trying to put a fast GPU in there.

Seems to be available now.

https://store.minisforum.com/products/minisforum-bd770i

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I mean it's just so goddamn cute :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

We know there are x3d versions of these chips, some had produced a laptop with a 7745hx3d, I want to see that chip juiced up in a mini pc.