Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

fritz posted:

Offering

One more Jean Wei short coming tomorrow (she's got a few more on her website: https://jeanwei.com/sequential) and after that: something else!

Whenever we'd burn hell money offerings I'd always be seriously concerned about inflation in the afterlife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

By popular demand posted:

I do actually regret doing this thing but I believe in sharing my mistakes

why

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I feel seen.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Timelets, but just a recolor of an old strip today

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Owl at Home posted:

Timelets, but just a recolor of an old strip today

You should have posted a series of WIPs of the colouring process.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Emzedoh posted:

Maybe the medieval monks bringing this down to us felt like Jesusing up Baldur the same way they Sataned the hell (heh) out of (into) Loki? You know, the whole he died for your sins angle?

I think Baldr getting Jesused up is a definitely possibility, but I don't really see the Loki-as-Satan angle. Even the Gesta Danorum, which has a wildly different versions of Baldr's death, still references the binding of Loki, which I think is the strongest indicator that the gods getting sick of his poo poo and locking him away is a myth that predates both accounts.

Valhalla skipping all that and making Baldr's death a happy ending is a fun twist, though, can't say I've come across that reading before.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The Bugle Call: Marching.
We're on to volume 3!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Lavender Jack

End of chapter 11

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

the holy poopacy posted:

Lavender Jack
End of chapter 11

Good poo poo

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Oh yes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I was wondering when she was going to hear him talking in character as Jack, after that conversation with him about dialect and accents a few updates back :f5:

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

ClownCorps update: creator says updates Monday and Wednesday. Gonna wait til Wednesday and post a few at a time rather than just posting one every couple days i think.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I could do with some clowns right now.

There aught to be clowns.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The Bikini Bottom Horror

KennyMan666 posted:

Chapter 9, Escape!

Chapter 10, The Tortured One.

Sandy flees, Squidward and Larry race to her rescue, but the Tortured one has other plans.

The Tortured one is risen.

SavoyTruffle
Jan 20, 2005

~~grief is good~~

Tree Bucket posted:

I used to skip VfF, but it's a definite favorite now. It's so *british* somehow. It would make an excellent sitcom.
thank you for changing your mind, do not change it again

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Of course some of the types of people who make comics that would end up in a Wizard Master post have started using AI art

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Spirit Circle

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the creator of pizzacakecomic should be tried at the Hague

not even a palette swap, how incredibly lazy

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Qwertycoatl posted:

Ah neat. Somehow I'd never heard of the Gesta Danorum

You may have heard of the Gesta Danorum as the source for the story of the Danish prince Amleth. Of course, the story of Amleth is best known nowadays as the inspiration for The Northman (2022).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SimonChris posted:

Of course, the story of Amleth is best known nowadays as the inspiration for The Northman (2022).

:thejoke:, of course, is that he's deliberately skipping the much better known adaptation The Lion King.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

GREAT
by Ryan Armand

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

this belongs in this thread

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ah, poo poo, dude. that loving sucks

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Spacetrawler

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

You should have posted a series of WIPs of the colouring process.

Ha, that's an idea for a future Timelet!

Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (Jan 17-22, 1943)

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Prince Val uses tilt controls

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

School of World

Ugly Dumpling

She's got a couple other short comics but I was intending to stop here.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

TEN
EARTH
SHATTERING
BLOWS

...And now we're caught up to where the holy poopacy left off!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Emzedoh posted:

Where now the forum and the poster? Where is the keyboard that was tapping?
Where is the mouse and the thread, and the bright shitpost flowing?

Haunting

Okay, to avoid a low-content post: Tolkien's elves are all about art.
"Their 'magic' is Art," wrote Tolkien in a letter to a friend, "delivered from many of its human limitations: more quick, more complete (product, and vision in unflawed correspondence)." This I take to mean: do you know that feeling when you're drawing or writing or singing or whatever, and you just- get in the zone, and time (as it is described in the elven realm of Lothlorien) seems to go very fast and very slow simultaneously? Elves are permanently "In The Zone." They're not just a prettier, more agile human; they are a fundamentally different kind of being. To balance this- to, perhaps, explain why such a state is unavailable to humans- Tolkien's elves are immortal. Their lives are woven into the fabric of the world. Unlike humans, who can change and reshape the world as we see fit, the permanently en-Zoned elves simply fade as the third age of the world falls into decline. If they ever hear the sound of the sea, it's all over for them: they suffer from a case of terminal wanderlust and Go Into The West and never come back.
The Ring, meanwhile, is something very different: it is the very essence of the Machine.
(Remember Sauron, originally, was a Maiar of Aule- an angel of the god of smithing and crafting, you might say. So Sauron likes to make things.)
Now, consider a gun. No matter who pulls the trigger, the amount of energy released is going to be the same, right? The boom isn't bigger if a stronger guy pulls the trigger.
But. The result of that Bang varies hugely depending on if the trigger is pulled by a soldier, a murderer, a hunter, an assassin, a drunk guy, whatever. Once the gun has been built, the output of the machine we call a gun depends entirely upon the motives, skills and intentions of the person pulling the trigger: their Will, as Tolkien might put it.
That is how the Ring works: the very purest essence of will-amplification. A sneaky hobbit can use the Ring to sneak better; a king can use it to become an emperor; an angel can use it to become something like a god. This also fits with Tolkien's faith; the Ring, fascinatingly, represents a mathematically perfect temptation. We're used to thinking of resisting temptation as something that is achieved through willpower. But the Ring, by definition, becomes stronger depending on the will of the person holding it. The better you are at shaping your mind into a hammer and blasting through adverse mental states, the harder you'll have to fight to resist the ring. Galadriel nearly rips her mind in half rejecting the Ring; Sam the stupid fat hobbit can pick up and put down the thing with zero ill effects because he's fundamentally a decent guy who is content with beer and gardens and, if he's real lucky, a curvy hobbit bride down the track.
So for Tolkien: art, magic and the machine are all means of dealing with the statement the world is not as it should be; what should we do about it? There's something poignant about a person orphaned at age 12 and sent to fight in WW1 as a teenager wrestling with this stuff.
I'm glad he did, though.

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 03:09 on Oct 10, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

MS Paint Masterpieces
#277: Mad Doctorate - Guns For Christmas

#278: Mad Doctorate - Proof Of Foolishness

#279: Mad Doctorate - Bubble Man's Older Brother

I like the segment where he talks about how he could have done better, I don't think it shows up in a lot of comics and it's a good way of showing that Rock is a quick learner without making it a superpower.
MS Paint Masterpieces
#280: Mad Doctorate - Juzdie Mega Man! Juzdie!

#282: Mad Doctorate - Exclamation Point

#283: Mad Doctorate - An Old Fashioned Joedown

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

Haunting

Okay, to avoid a low-content post: Tolkien's elves are all about art.
"Their 'magic' is Art," wrote Tolkien in a letter to a friend, "delivered from many of its human limitations: more quick, more complete (product, and vision in unflawed correspondence)." This I take to mean: do you know that feeling when you're drawing or writing or singing or whatever, and you just- get in the zone, and time (as it is described in the elven realm of Lothlorien) seems to go very fast and very slow simultaneously? Elves are permanently "In The Zone." They're not just a prettier, more agile human; they are a fundamentally different kind of being. To balance this- to, perhaps, explain why such a state is unavailable to humans- Tolkien's elves are immortal. Their lives are woven into the fabric of the world. Unlike humans, who can change and reshape the world as we see fit, the permanently en-Zoned elves simply fade as the third age of the world falls into decline. If they ever hear the sound of the sea, it's all over for them: they suffer from a case of terminal wanderlust and Go Into The West and never come back.
The Ring, meanwhile, is something very different: it is the very essence of the Machine.
(Remember Sauron, originally, was a Maiar of Aule- an angel of the god of smithing and crafting, you might say. So Sauron likes to make things.)
Now, consider a gun. No matter who pulls the trigger, the amount of energy released is going to be the same, right? The boom isn't bigger if a stronger guy pulls the trigger.
But. The result of that Bang varies hugely depending on if the trigger is pulled by a soldier, a murderer, a hunter, an assassin, a drunk guy, whatever. Once the gun has been built, the output of the machine we call a gun depends entirely upon the motives, skills and intentions of the person pulling the trigger: their Will, as Tolkien might put it.
That is how the Ring works: the very purest essence of will-amplification. A sneaky hobbit can use the Ring to sneak better; a king can use it to become an emperor; an angel can use it to become something like a god. This also fits with Tolkien's faith; the Ring, fascinatingly, represents a mathematically perfect temptation. We're used to thinking of resisting temptation as something that is achieved through willpower. But the Ring, by definition, becomes stronger depending on the will of the person holding it. The better you are at shaping your mind into a hammer and blasting through adverse mental states, the harder you'll have to fight to resist the ring. Galadriel nearly rips her mind in half rejecting the Ring; Sam the stupid fat hobbit can pick up and put down the thing with zero ill effects because he's fundamentally a decent guy who is content with beer and gardens and, if he's real lucky, a curvy hobbit bride down the track.
So for Tolkien: art, magic and the machine are all means of dealing with the statement the world is not as it should be; what should we do about it? There's something poignant about a person orphaned at age 12 and sent to fight in WW1 as a teenager wrestling with this stuff.
I'm glad he did, though.

Thanks for this post especially the part about the ring itself. I've never read the books and always thought 'it just makes you invisible ' was a pretty underwhelming ability for a supposed all powerful ring that gods and demons fight wars over would have. I guess I'd be sam in this description haha

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Witnessed, Luthar.

Last time, on Vigils for Friends:

Today: How GRRM will probably kick the bucket

Samovar has a new favorite as of 04:40 on Oct 10, 2023

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: Jos3ph whoops and swings his warhammer around! Wumuu decides to take as his weapon the pillar itself!

Read right to left:

So Jos3ph, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus my 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winning at Chariot Race! But then you take my 5% chance of being right, if we was to go one on one, and then add 5% being wrong, I got 90% chance of success at vampire house! See Jo3, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Chariot Race!

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

those are some godlike joey panels

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Blind Alley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The invisibility is specifically an effect it has when worn by mortals, in part because that's what it did in The Hobbit, which was written before the Lord of the Rings. There's a flashback in the movies of Sauron's defeat (maybe only in the extended editions?) where he wears the ring and is not invisible. It also extends the life of the bearer, such as Bilbo and Sméagol.

One power that I think only comes up in the books is mind control. When Sam wears the ring in Mordor he does not feel invisible at all because he knows he's drawing the attention of the Eye of Sauron, but when he takes it off and is spotted by an orc, the orc flees in terror when Sam says to leave them alone. Frodo also says "if you ever fuckin touch me again, you will be thrown into the fires of Mount Doom," to Gollum the last time they part ways, and the next time they meet, that is exactly what happens.

The hobbits only inadvertently use that power because the Ring grows stronger the closer it gets to Sauron, anyone with the ambition to use it to dominate others, for good or ill, will discover that they can as soon as they touch it; they don't even need to wear it. That is what happened to Isildur, and is why it is important for Gandalf, Galadriel and even Aragorn to reject it without ever touching it.

Zulily Zoetrope has a new favorite as of 05:54 on Oct 10, 2023