Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Okay so the board was plundering the corpse of the company for scraps and offloading the eaten carcass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Thank you everyone for taking the time to educate me.

I think I’m finally ready to buy some Bed Bath stock.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Lt. Cock posted:

I think you mean "thank you everyone for your DDs"

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Lt. Cock posted:

Great idea: The ticker is OSTK.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
How do I short a Vanguard index fund?

I've made 8.1% average per year since I opened one due to the advice of these very SA forums in 2013.

I want MOOOREEEE!!!

ps: this is not a serious question. I took advice from people here who were smarter than me and it paid off in spades. I sure as gently caress ain't rich, but I could probably by a brand new car in 2024 (I won't).

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Lt. Cock posted:

Oh no, you forgot Beyond!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

cruft posted:

Oh no, you forgot Beyond!

No you see the new stock will be split into both "bed bath" and "beyond" stock so that means everyone will get twice as much effectively doubling everyone profit.

*(slightly less than double as the "&" part is now not included in either stock effectively taking off 1/15th of the total value, but I think we can all agree this was a smart move overall as the doubling of overall stock value more than makes up for this. Look were going to be making millions off this, can't get greedy!!!)

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

Ariong posted:

Great idea: The ticker is OSTK.

If a stock has zero value, you can buy an infinite amount of it

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Okay so the board was plundering the corpse of the company for scraps and offloading the eaten carcass.

Yeah but you see Ryan Cohen is going to swoop in any day now and merge Bed Bath with GameStop and reward diamond handed apes with a huge windfall. No, don’t pay any attention to the fact that Bed Bath is currently auctioning off it’s office chairs and hand soap dispensers. The name alone is worth billions you see, and alongside GameStop Cohen is going to build it into an e-commerce giant rivaling Amazon. What’s that? It was already bought by Overstock? No, you’re not paying attention!

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 9, 2023

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I nearly forgot about this reddit post from the bitcoin thread

quote:

In my GRAND version, the BBBY stores would become giant GameStops, but not too giant! They would sell games and gamers would prefer them to Steam because they would be loyal; can come in, experience two stories of nooks and crannies, have a gaming area to buy and play board games and video games, have a bouncer, maybe some bar food. And plenty of high-end stuff to buy -- not so many bobbleheads. (They would of course, also have a bigger web site where most of their sales and blockchain-unlocked games come from.) I don't think kids nowadays but up to 45 yo (shake my fist) have enough places to go for the lifestyle they've chosen.
posters from several years ago may be reminded of logansryche's plan to buy his local movie theater

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 9, 2023

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

colonelwest posted:

Yeah but you see Ryan Cohen is going to swoop in any day now and merge Bed Bath with GameStop and reward diamond handed apes with a huge windfall. No, don’t pay any attention to the fact that Bed Bath is currently auctioning off it’s office chairs and hand soap dispensers. The name alone is worth billions you see, and alongside GameStop Cohen is going to build it into an e-commerce giant rivaling Amazon. What’s that? It was already bought by Overstock? No, you’re not paying attention!

Most of the Hopium I see on r/BBBY is focused on utilizing BBBY’s net operating losses (NOLs) as a treasure trove, presumably as a tax write off? Anytime it is mentioned anyone who took ownership for the NOLs would also inherit $1.5B in debts, it’s waived away with shill accusations.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
The NOLs are literally all they have left, so they better be worth something

If not my investment is worthless!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Most of the Hopium I see on r/BBBY is focused on utilizing BBBY’s net operating losses (NOLs) as a treasure trove, presumably as a tax write off? Anytime it is mentioned anyone who took ownership for the NOLs would also inherit $1.5B in debts, it’s waived away with shill accusations.

Lol, I’ve seen some of that too. Companies are definitely in the business of buying giant liabilities because you see it’s all a write off Jerry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAjxn2US7J8

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Koburn posted:

The NOLs are literally all they have left, so they better be worth something

If not my investment is worthless!

it's like they say, you have to lose money to make money

as a bankrupt company they have the strategic advantage of zero running expenses too

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
The people buying because they're convinced it'll rise in price due to arcane stock market magic are funny, but the real comedy are the guys like in the above "giant GameStop" quote.
They genuinely seem to believe that BBBY, GME, Blockbuster, Toys R Us and a bunch of other failing or defunct retailers are going to form a retail Voltron called Teddy that is going to dethrone Amazon, as the only reason Amazon is so successful is the evil hedgies manipulating stuff to kill competitors.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Basically a 'crazy enough to work' scheme worked exactly once, and a lot of people mostly late to the party got the idea that they should be able to make it work every single time.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

It was so simple too. Literally just a crowd-sourced pump and dump scheme. The party ended in 2021, but these rubes are still here holding the bag and crafting insane theories about the financial apocalypse.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
People keep on saying holding bags is bad, what the hell, there could be anything in those bags there holding!

Including randomly massive riches, cos what else would be in a bag!!!!!

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

dr_rat posted:

People keep on saying holding bags is bad, what the hell, there could be anything in those bags there holding!

Including randomly massive riches, cos what else would be in a bag!!!!!

This guy is on to something... where do I invest my life savings into these bags of holding, good sir?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
You’d think the hedges would just short attack Amazon and ride it to zero, but for some reason they only employ this manipulation against businesses with declining sales and rising liabilities with out of date business models and poor leadership.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

zetamind2000 posted:

🐰🚀🌕

Clearly the connective glue here is that the Japanese believe that there are rabbits living on the moon.

Thus, by beating the Fudd (FUD) the Rabbits (Apes) will go to the Moon (Moon)!

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

You would also think of the thousands of hedge funds who all love 1) bags of money and 2) screwing each other, one of them, just one, would have found this play and bought all the shares and become unfathomably rich.

But no they all are doing this illegal act and not a single one would ever cheat on the others to make money, no sirree

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Serious_Cyclone posted:

It's an extension to its logical extreme of the broader misconceptions around tax write offs. A lot of people, especially on reddit, fundamentally misunderstand how tax write offs work. You generally can't spend money to gain tax write offs and make a profit just off the tax write offs, since you aren't taxed at over 100% of what you spend, but people on reddit often talk about it as if you could do that. BBBY holders logic is based on that idea, writ large. If you first accept that tax write offs are actually a positive asset *on their own*, and not something that *partially* reduces costs, then having 1.5 billion in tax write offs must be pretty great.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

CrypticFox posted:

It's an extension to its logical extreme of the broader misconceptions around tax write offs. A lot of people, especially on reddit, fundamentally misunderstand how tax write offs work. You generally can't spend money to gain tax write offs and make a profit just off the tax write offs, since you aren't taxed at over 100% of what you spend, but people on reddit often talk about it as if you could do that. BBBY holders logic is based on that idea, writ large. If you first accept that tax write offs are actually a positive asset *on their own*, and not something that *partially* reduces costs, then having 1.5 billion in tax write offs must be pretty great.

Just imagine the apes as Kramer trying to explain to Jerry how NOLs work.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Razakai posted:

The people buying because they're convinced it'll rise in price due to arcane stock market magic are funny, but the real comedy are the guys like in the above "giant GameStop" quote.
They genuinely seem to believe that BBBY, GME, Blockbuster, Toys R Us and a bunch of other failing or defunct retailers are going to form a retail Voltron called Teddy that is going to dethrone Amazon, as the only reason Amazon is so successful is the evil hedgies manipulating stuff to kill competitors.

Your GME-AMC-BBBY-BB-TRU retail-Voltron-god is weak and will never defeat the Cloud daemon Amazon. Your puny stocks will never let you reach Moon Valhalla. My retail-Voltron-god, RadioShack-Fry's-Sears-Hollywood Video-Dominick's is strong and doesn't need weak stocks. My retail-Voltron-god will devour the Microsoft serpent and chase the Cloud daemon Amazon from the skies and bring us azure rains. :orks101:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Serious_Cyclone posted:

You’d think the hedges would just short attack Amazon and ride it to zero, but for some reason they only employ this manipulation against businesses with declining sales and rising liabilities with out of date business models and poor leadership.

:sbahj:

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Apes remind me of the machine cult guys in Warhammer. The ones that will die performing some elaborate ritual that’s been handed down for centuries instead of just turning a few bolts and pressing a button to keep the ship from falling out of orbit.

Nov 6, 2002

Lt. Cock posted:

Apes remind me of the machine cult guys in Warhammer. The ones that will die performing some elaborate ritual that’s been handed down for centuries instead of just turning a few bolts and pressing a button to keep the ship from falling out of orbit.

A cargo cult is what best describes apes.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

A cargo cult is what best describes apes.

I like the term "audiophile", which raises fewer eyebrows about potential racism :)

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I like that "giant GameStop" guy's ultimate vision is just a big building with cool stuff, like the hideout in the TNMT movie, or the cool Hackers warehouse lounge in that movie. All that's missing is a bunch of radical kids on a half pipe. No moms or wives to tell us when it's bedtime 🌝🚀

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

cruft posted:

I like the term "audiophile", which raises fewer eyebrows about potential racism :)

But they are functioning like a cargo cult for stocks. Since when is describing something as a cargo cult racist?

Nov 6, 2002

Wilkins Micawber posted:

I like that "giant GameStop" guy's ultimate vision is just a big building with cool stuff, like the hideout in the TNMT movie, or the cool Hackers warehouse lounge in that movie. All that's missing is a bunch of radical kids on a half pipe. No moms or wives to tell us when it's bedtime 🌝🚀

I sleep in a racing car. Do You?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Big sign out front: no girls in here!

It’s not meant to prohibit women, it’s just an observation

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Gophermaster posted:

But they are functioning like a cargo cult for stocks. Since when is describing something as a cargo cult racist?

Do you know what a cargo cult is?

Btw I don't think that calling something a cargo cult is racist, but it could be described as racist.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I do. It's one of those internet words. Like "gaslighting", "iconic", "strawman", or "praxis". Doesn't actually mean anything.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Rewatched the documentary, and I still can't get over the phrase 'wife-changing money'. I have to wonder if there ever was there ever a time these jackasses loved their spouses (not just wives; I'm sure gay men and straight women are as vulnerable to the con as anyone else), or if they just wanted bangmaids.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I thought a lot of the "wife-changing" money BS was rooted in their wives not supporting them destroying the family financially and having a revenge fantasy where the first thing they do post moass is divorce their wife and take all the money.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

wilderthanmild posted:

I thought a lot of the "wife-changing" money BS was rooted in their wives not supporting them destroying the family financially and having a revenge fantasy where the first thing they do post moass is divorce their wife and take all the money.

Yeah in much the same way that one of their major fantasies is to laugh at those that called them dumb as they writhe penniless in the gutters, their wives who didn't see their genius must be eliminated and replaced by someone who can see their greatness.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/MJEAGd1bQuc?si=q74vtgOAo0dVMzT1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr59DKnFKx0