Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I had a flu as a teenager that infected my heart and gave me a multiple year bout of recurring pericarditis.

Totally fine nothing major

Second time I had the flu (I thought!) was twice? in a month. Jan-Feb 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahler_biryani
Jan 28, 2023

Fansy posted:

Anyone know of a good deal for RATs?

Found on amazon the other day, but have not used it yet so YMMV. Under $3 per test. https://www.amazon.com/FaStep-Rapid-Minutes-COVID-19-Antigen/dp/B0BQXB8W5T

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

did you get your free 2023 tests

https://special.usps.com/testkits

Yes, but you reminded me to tell my family.

mahler_biryani posted:

Found on amazon the other day, but have not used it yet so YMMV. Under $3 per test. https://www.amazon.com/FaStep-Rapid-Minutes-COVID-19-Antigen/dp/B0BQXB8W5T

Hell yes thank you.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
People who’ve had Covid at least 5 times describe how the illness changed with each reinfection

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/covid-5-times-people-describe-illnesses-rcna118132

quote:

Nearly four years after Covid’s emergence, plenty of people have tested positive at least twice. But an unlucky group has been hit with reinfection after reinfection.

“I’ve seen a few patients with five infections,” said Dr. Grace McComsey, vice dean for clinical and translational research at Case Western University. “Sadly, they were immunized and they still got Covid five times.”

Reanna Sunford Clark, a 47-year-old day care teacher in Portland, Oregon, says she has gotten Covid six times.

“It does make me concerned that I have this predisposition to it,” Clark said.

Given that the age group she works with isn’t known for clean hands, Clark added, “it makes sense that I am exposing myself to a more likely source — but on the flip side of that, I feel like I’ve had it so many times, I should have more immunity than I do.”

After her first infection in November 2021 — which landed her in the ER with shortness of breath — Clark’s subsequent illnesses mostly brought cold-like symptoms that resolved within three or four days, she said.

“Every time I’ve gotten it, I’ve had a sore throat,” she added.

Clark is one of five people interviewed by NBC News who described what it has been like to get Covid at least five times. All five either tested positive at home, received a positive antibody test later or were diagnosed by a health care provider each time. They provided images of test results, medical records or correspondence with friends or family as verification. Overall, they said, the experiences have left them confused and curious about the reasons for their frequent illnesses.

Three people said their later infections were all less severe than the first — though there wasn’t necessarily a clear pattern of milder symptoms with each new illness. Even so, having Covid was still mentally and emotionally exhausting each time, they said, since it disrupted their work and time with loved ones.

Brenda Keele, a 38-year-old resident of Casper, Wyoming, said her symptoms got worse with each round of Covid. Keele recently endured her fifth and most severe coronavirus infection, which she said caused body aches and trouble breathing.

At the height of that illness, she said, Keele could barely walk and felt “like every single one of my lymph nodes in my body is swollen and painful.”

In the two weeks since she stopped testing positive, her symptoms have improved, though she still has lingering congestion, Keele said.

Although each reinfection should theoretically be milder than the previous one for most people, doctors said, cases like Keele’s do happen. McComsey estimated that about 20% to 25% of her patients report that their reinfections are more severe.

Keele has chronic heart failure and adrenal insufficiency, so she takes medications that compromise her immune system. Her heart condition has declined over the last year and a half, she said, but doctors aren’t sure if Covid is responsible.

Severe reinfections could be more likely if lots of time has elapsed since a person’s last Covid shot or if they were exposed to a high viral load, McComsey said.

Keele was vaccinated but did not get booster shots. The others interviewed each said they got at least one booster after their original vaccines.

Emily, a 36-year-old singer in Brooklyn who asked that her last name be withheld to maintain her privacy, said all five of her infections were relatively mild. But she noticed that her symptoms tended to be more severe if several months had passed since her most recent Covid vaccine.

Emily’s third infection in May 2022 — six months after her booster shot — was the worst, she said.

“This was more of a body ache, feverish feeling,” she said. “I felt laid out for about a week.”
Why do some people get Covid so many times?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention identified more than 2.7 million Covid reinfections from September 2021 to December 2022 across a set of regions containing about 45% of the U.S. population. But because some states stopped tracking reinfections or never recorded them, it’s not clear how common it is to be infected multiple times.

Doctors who study Covid say it’s not surprising that some people have gotten Covid more than once a year, given how widely the virus has spread and how frequently cases surge.

“The virus continued to mutate, so it has a way of escaping immunity,” said Dr. Miriam Merad, chair of the Department of Immunology and Immunotherapy at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
clean hands

I swear to christ

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

mahler_biryani posted:

that is legit fuckin impressive they are able to drive an consumer lab developed test that low, bravo

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Lol, I don’t think the box takes selfies? I could be wrong

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
My biopsies all came back negative :unsmith:

I went to an outdoor event this weekend and wore a mas but saw a family member who had covid last week there :smith: Said she was testing negative withRAT while still taking paxlovid and after she finished. I just don’t know anymore.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Indoor Dying posted:

Lol, I don’t think the box takes selfies? I could be wrong

hey man they skimped on advertising that makes sense and passed the savings on to you

Glumwheels posted:

My biopsies all came back negative :unsmith:

I went to an outdoor event this weekend and wore a mas but saw a family member who had covid last week there :smith: Said she was testing negative withRAT while still taking paxlovid and after she finished. I just don’t know anymore.

If you’re masked outdoors and if they’re honest about being on antivirals your risk of infection is incredibly low

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
pack in close everyone, let's enjoy reading the back of this box together!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Glumwheels posted:

I just don’t know anymore.

If it's any consolation, neither does she.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Speaking of diseases we had when we were kids, I had whooping cough when I was really young which must have been late 70s or very early 80s. I don't remember a lot about it except coughing until I couldn't breath and then panicking because I felt like I was was asphyxiating, and having that happen when I was in the bathroom at the local mall and getting real scared because I was alone and didn't know where my parents were and I thought I was dying.

It wasn't until much much much later that the thought occurred to me "Wait, if I had loving whooping cough why did my parents bring me to the mall?"

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

mahler_biryani posted:

Early in the covid days, https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus used to be a good source. Surprised to find it still exists tbh.

Before I found the thread, my main source was nakedcapitalism.com. The website has taken covid seriously since the beginning and one of the few that continues to. However, they do occasionally boost borderline anti-vaxx views (sometimes clearly so) and they have a history of boosting ivermectin though less so now I think. None the less, their daily Links posts and the every weekday "Water Cooler" posts have a covid section. Some of the covid news ends up in other sections (Politics, Healthcare) too. I had stopped reading the site since I found the thread because I found the thread was a superset of relevant topics covered, and I didn't want to support the pro-ivermectin and vax/pax skeptical bend. I have reluctantly gone back to reading it recently partly because I've realized the thread is no longer a superset. I think an ex-poster here (ibid) had either a similarly curated twitter feed or was reading the same site (or both). Anyway, I guess I am mentioning it for purely selfish reasons. I wish I could commit to filling this gap, but I am fundamentally a lurker not a poster :sweatdrop:.

Thanks, I'll have a look and see :)

But also :justpost: - you don't have to comment on the article (I only started adding comments, because without something to distinguish quoted posts it became a mess).

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Live virus titer study:
"Neutralisation of SARS-CoV-2 Omicron subvariants BA.2.86 and EG.5.1 by antibodies induced by earlier infection or vaccination"

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.10.01.560365v1.full posted:

Abstract
Highly mutated SARS-CoV-2 Omicron subvariant BA.2.86 emerged in July 2023. We investigated the neutralisation of isolated virus by antibodies induced by earlier infection or vaccination. The neutralisation titres for BA.2.86 were comparable to those for XBB.1 and EG.5.1, by antibodies induced by XBB.1.5 or BA.4/5 breakthrough infection or BA.4/5 vaccination.
(..)

Figure 1.
Immune evasion potential of BA.2.86 A) Spike mutations of SARS-CoV-2 variants BA.2, BA.5, XBB.1.5, EG.5.1, and BA.2.86 relative to the spike protein domains of SARS-CoV-2 index strain. Amino acid changes unique to BA.2.86 are indicated in red. B-D) Relative neutralising antibody levels for individuals following a breakthrough infection with an XBB.1.5 spike protein variant (B), a breakthrough infection with an Omicron BA.4/5 variant (C), and recipients of the bivalent Omicron BA.4/5 mRNA vaccine (D).

(..)

Danish CDC (whom made the study) quotes the lead scientist as saying this is "good news" because it demonstrates that the updated vaccines will work (with XBB.1.5 as a proxy). But I gotta say, looking at the titer levels I probably wouldn't put it like that and it seems the Danish CDC is similarly reluctant using the ambiguous and atypical word "virksom" which can either mean "works" or "does something".

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Bastard Tetris posted:

If you’re masked outdoors and if they’re honest about being on antivirals your risk of infection is incredibly low

Especially if you make sure to wash your hands.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
WaPo sending some mixed messages here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2023/10/09/long-covid-in-children-rare/ posted:

BIG NUMBER
Only 1 percent of children had long covid through last year, CDC says

Archived link: https://archive.li/00DQq

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It wasn't until much much much later that the thought occurred to me "Wait, if I had loving whooping cough why did my parents bring me to the mall?"
they did it to protect your mental health :)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

Live virus titer study:

Not just “live”, but wholly authentic strains isolated from clinical samples. Usually assays even when done with active coronaviruses use chimæras—where sections of genetic code, particularly that of the spike, are splice into a venerable strain such as “D614G”.

The chimæra approach probably works pretty well in most cases, certainly is better than grafting just the spike onto a virus from a totally different family, but for some of the more out there strains, and BA.2.86 is one of them, there are genuine questions about whether missing mutations in places other than the spike may affect results.

These scientists put the effort to use the most accurate but most difficult method, and for that I salute them.

As an example, they couldn’t get BA.2.86 to grow in monkey cell lines, only human ones. This is the sort of headache that working with authentic and novel viruses presents, but it’s an interesting finding in and of itself.

e: My take on those titers are that imply poor protection for you, me, and everyone from infection and PASC, but they’re high enough to suggest that Eris and Pirola are not “Omicron reborn”.

I would have liked to see Fornax in the panel.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 12:27 on Oct 9, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

Alternate title: four hundred thousand American children are suffering from long COVID.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

hey thats less than a million, I bet capitalism won't even notice.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

(..)
e: My take on those titers are that imply poor protection for you, me, and everyone from infection and PASC, but they’re high enough to suggest that Eris and Pirola are not “Omicron reborn”.

I would have liked to see Fornax in the panel.

Sure, but a 1.4-2-fold reduction ain't exactly nothing when compared to something already low :shrug:

To the core point: I think it is too soon to say if it is or isn't Omicron reborn. I've mentioned before that it seems like we detected BA.2.86 very early and I really don't like some of the mutational spread it has shown, considering how few cases have been detected and the time frame. It seems (to me, as a layman) that it is still far from optimized.

Case in point:

https://www.nicd.ac.za/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/Update-of-SA-sequencing-data-from-GISAID-06-Oct-2023.pdf posted:

Network for Genomic Surveillance in South Africa (NGS-SA)
SARS-CoV-2 Sequencing Update 06 October 2023
(..)

(..)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pingui posted:

Archived link: https://archive.li/00DQq

I did not realize the CDC's definition is symptoms three months after infection. Good to know it's normal to be symptomatic for up to 12 weeks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m never leaving my house again.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

what the gently caress. I tested positive exactly two weeks ago, was sick for 10 days, during which I took Paxlovid (which didn't make me feel better one bit), felt great for 3 days and then felt sick again and tested positive this morning. Back to back infections or the same one?

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Bastard Tetris posted:

hey man they skimped on advertising that makes sense and passed the savings on to you

She had finished paxlovid on Thursday and she said she was testing negative as well as others in her household. I don’t know if that was still the case by Sunday or not but I hope so. Supposedly no one else got sick in her house. My wife was negative by day 6 too and never tested positive again by rat, I was the only one who rebounded.

My family member knew my situation so I hope she was testing before going out in public. Lots of old people where we were.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

blue squares posted:

what the gently caress. I tested positive exactly two weeks ago, was sick for 10 days, during which I took Paxlovid (which didn't make me feel better one bit), felt great for 3 days and then felt sick again and tested positive this morning. Back to back infections or the same one?

You're almost certainly experiencing a rebound of the same infection, sorry. Well, that's probably better than consecutive infections, anyway.

I don't remember seeing recorded cases of completely separate reinfection within two weeks but from a quick search three weeks is possible.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 14:46 on Oct 9, 2023

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

lmao

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

eXXon posted:

You're almost certainly experiencing a rebound of the same infection, sorry. Well, that's probably better than consecutive infections, anyway.

I don't remember seeing recorded cases of completely separate reinfection within two weeks but from a quick search three weeks is possible.

Yeah 21 days is the shortest reinfection period I've seen from stuff in this thread.

That being said, with the way the variant soup stuff is now and that recombinant strains are a thing, meaning folks are infected with two variants at the same time, I don't think getting two separate infections in two weeks is impossible. It's unlikely, though, especially if you've been isolating/masking at all while sick and have an otherwise healthy immune system.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

eXXon posted:

My wife is out of town and coming back tonight. She and I were sick at the same time, her a few days ahead of me. She is currently totally healthy. Since she infected me, and she’s doing well, should we be worried that I could reinfect her right back, or would it not work like that since she was the original source of my infection? trying to decide if she should isolate from me or just come home

if it’s the same infection and she’s fully cleared it I’ve gotta imagine she will be fine, otherwise cohabitating people would just be infecting each other back and forth constantly on the same infection

blue squares has issued a correction as of 15:17 on Oct 9, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

blue squares posted:

My wife is out of town and coming back tonight. She and I were sick at the same time, her a few days ahead of me. She is currently totally healthy. Since she infected me, and she’s doing well, should we be worried that I could reinfect her right back, or would it not work like that since she was the original source of my infection? trying to decide if she should isolate from me or just come home

if it’s the same infection and she’s fully cleared it I’ve gotta imagine she will be fine, otherwise cohabitating people would just be infecting each other back and forth constantly on the same infection

Yes, since she just beat down an infection, her antibody levels should be able to combat the same variant easily. Even If you somehow got infected with a different variant or had a co-infection resulting in a recombinant this would overwhelming likely be the case.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I would err on the side of caution, but that's mostly because I've got a hosed-up immune system. Current evidence is that while as little as three weeks between infections has been reported a few times, two or three weeks is just about your prime antibody window, and so if there's a time to be less worried, it's right in that tiny window.

The Oldest Man posted:

Your mistake was believing most of the people around you hold any kind of ideology or philosophy at all.

GRANTED. However,

Most people think they do, which is often a useful lever for encouraging better behavior (or any desired behavior, look at propaganda generally lol). However, masking I guess is just irritating/weird-looking enough that it didn't have a prayer there, at least not the nano-instant capital interests came to the conclusion covid wasn't the immediate world-ending threat of the virus from Carriers or whatever

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

blue squares posted:

welcome brother

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
My local supermarket has cut hours again. It used to be open 24/7 then a few years ago it started closing at midnight, then because of the pandemic it started closing at 11pm, then tonight when I dashed over there to buy a loaf of bread for my morning toast I found out too late that they now close at 10pm.
I tried the local 7-11 and the 24hr gas station which has a store attached but it turns out they don't sell loaves of bread any more, even though they definitely used to.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
There is a small format hmart in my neighborhood that has signage that its "morning to midnight." They close at 9:30pm.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

My local supermarket has cut hours again. It used to be open 24/7 then a few years ago it started closing at midnight, then because of the pandemic it started closing at 11pm, then tonight when I dashed over there to buy a loaf of bread for my morning toast I found out too late that they now close at 10pm.
I tried the local 7-11 and the 24hr gas station which has a store attached but it turns out they don't sell loaves of bread any more, even though they definitely used to.

The CDC recommends you only eat a very small amount of white bread, it's bad for your cardiovascular health. Public health wins again

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

A customer was just telling me about his daughter's recent destination wedding that turned into a huge super-spreader event that sent a few people to the hospital and I couldn't even feign shock or surprise. Like who could have ever imagined or predicted something like that happening in this day and age.

Then we talked about motorcycles for a while so that was cool at least

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I would totally get a triumph if I didn't thing I would get pasted by some covidycepted ram driver

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/mryoung151/status/1711211908638843317?s=46

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shady Amish Terror posted:

GRANTED. However,

Most people think they do, which is often a useful lever for encouraging better behavior (or any desired behavior, look at propaganda generally lol). However, masking I guess is just irritating/weird-looking enough that it didn't have a prayer there, at least not the nano-instant capital interests came to the conclusion covid wasn't the immediate world-ending threat of the virus from Carriers or whatever

Propaganda works by giving people ideas and then repeating them so often and in so many forms and venues that people internalize them, not by playing on their ideological values or commitments in some kind of rationalized "you believe x, therefore you should be believe y" way. It's literally the same thing as convincing people that smoking is cool by bombarding them with images of cool people smoking and the seminal works of modern propaganda and public relations draw that connection explicitly. People have been and are still being bombarded with a mass media campaign that covid is mild (for people like them who matter), that the losses are acceptable (because they're already sick and weak and implicitly better off dead), and that respirators are weird and/or don't work and they internalize that. That's it, that's the entire story. There is no moral calculus occurring there, just budgetary calculus about how big the campaign needs to be to manufacture the consent required.

You think you're talking to people who have some commitment to the idea of justice and solidarity as a free-standing principle but 99 times out 100, you're talking to someone who has adopted an aesthetic because it was marketed to them. That's why "progressivism" is a popular self-described ideology even though it means absolutely nothing. That's why the DSA is able to recruit people despite being an utter loving joke that climbers like AOC use as toilet paper. Aesthetics don't ask anything at all of their adherents.

So of course they don't give a poo poo, they never did. You might as well be trying to use someone's hot topic shirt as a "lever" over their behavior, it's got exactly the same level of bearing on what they do and don't do as a self-applied "progressive" or "leftist" label.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Is there a good piece out there detailing what a shill / propagandist David Leonhardt is? I swear there was one. My MIL just sent my wife his latest Hamas article and it's like oh yeah, that's where she's getting her COVID takes from.