Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

one of the most idiotic thing about Ottawa’s LRT from a design perspective is that they somehow got too invested into a low floor train before deciding that it would not operate in mixed traffic ever. so now there’s a totally grade separated system, which is good, with all the disadvantages of a low floor streetcar style vehicle. and this can literally never be changed because all the stations were designed with a particular platform height to accommodate the vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Another fun part is how they've designed the stations open air and barely protected from the elements for a city where it's unpleasant to be outside for a majority of the year.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
ctrain also does not go to the airport. it will never go to the airport. will you stop asking when it'll go to the airport the answer is never

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

bunnyofdoom posted:

No we now have a second train running from Blair to tunneys that cost several billions and only works about 30% of the time now. And has made international headlines..... it literally doesn't work in wet weather

The wheels aren't round because the contractor faked tests of the alloys.

The contractor happens to be SNC Lavalin, so nothing will happen, making it even funnier.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's not SNC Lavalin anymore, it's AtkinsRéalis. New name, new outlook, same incompetence/crimes.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

ZShakespeare posted:

Municipalities and provinces don't have money sovereignty, and it is incumbent on the federal government to subsidize all of our infrastructure spending. Fight me.

these assholes don't want to do anything, even if it involves unclogging the transit in the city where all the real estate bubble speculation is financed

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

pokeyman posted:

ctrain also does not go to the airport. it will never go to the airport. will you stop asking when it'll go to the airport the answer is never

yeah this is a legit problem and also I wish they’d build a line that circles the city too or at least follows Deerfoot but transit is only ever built to service commuters if at all so that’s a pipe dream I guess

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

don’t let the commie libs fool you with their fifteen minute cities - there’s enough clean Canadian oil for all our Rams

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
pull the train cars with the most coalrolly beast ever made

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

eXXon posted:

It's not SNC Lavalin anymore, it's AtkinsRéalis. New name, new outlook, same incompetence/crimes.

But are they still critical donors to the LPC? If so, they're fine.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

I love how they still keep the Anglo-Québécois naming scheme

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
theres going to be like 4 different kinds of trains all made to different specs operating in toronto and i find that very dumb but also funny

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

In Ottawa they all use uh-oh gauge

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

can't wait to see the CN Tower lit up in white and blue for the leafs home opener

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

This is the year baby ohhhhh yeahhhhh

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

leafs suck poo poo and deserve to lose just like israel

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

PhilippAchtel posted:

Dude needs to listen to Blowback season 3

i finally got into it and am midway through season 1 and just gotta say OOF

loved the barrage of american news hits arguing for war in Iraq that sound straight out of Starship Troopers, even the 'liberal' networks

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

RBC posted:

theres going to be like 4 different kinds of trains all made to different specs operating in toronto and i find that very dumb but also funny

and 11 different specs of escalators sourced from different providers ensuring maximum downtime and no purchasing economies of scale

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

wynott dunn posted:

and 11 different specs of escalators sourced from different providers ensuring maximum downtime and no purchasing economies of scale

competition is how we get better escalators, it’s basic economics

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
happy thanksgiving, canada thread :shobon:

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

If you remove the s from Sobeys you get OBEYS. Wake 👏 up 👏 people 👏

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

FormaldehydeSon posted:

I did nazi that before

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is probably going to keep happening for anyone enterprising enough to dig

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Today I stabbed myself under the fingernail, drawing blood, with a sharpened bit of burnt-on stuffing.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

journalism.jpg

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
What's the difference between SPONSORED and Sponsored?

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

eXXon posted:

journalism.jpg

succession already did the ‘we here for you’ bit

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

FormaldehydeSon posted:

Sobeys = Obey + SS

Coincidence?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

nope, it was mag stripe paper tickets that you inserted in a slot on the bus and it went beep, skytrain was honour system but transit cops would hunt you down for sport

Notably the cops did not do fare checks during the olympics to avoid any bad publicity

they ramped them up about 5x during the paralympics to make up their quota

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

PhilippAchtel posted:

Sobeys = Obey + SS

:trumppop:

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Cops sure do hate 'the gays', 'the poors', 'the invalids', and people who generally are against fascists.

I want to say something to the effect that there is a considerable portion of the constables responsible for policying the streets are also part of groups which espouse white supremacy.

I'm not sure if there's a link, I don't mean to alarm anyone with this really off my rocker idea.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Houle posted:

Cops sure do hate 'the gays', 'the poors', 'the invalids', and people who generally are against fascists.

I want to say something to the effect that there is a considerable portion of the constables responsible for policying the streets are also part of groups which espouse white supremacy.

I'm not sure if there's a link, I don't mean to alarm anyone with this really off my rocker idea.

I've noticed more of an aggressive meathead energy on cops walking beats even in quaint tourist filled areas. Is this just a change in recruiting lately?

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

resistentialism posted:

Today I stabbed myself under the fingernail, drawing blood, with a sharpened bit of burnt-on stuffing.

I hosed up my fingernail on a bag of avocados the other day

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Frosted Flake posted:

I've noticed more of an aggressive meathead energy on cops walking beats even in quaint tourist filled areas. Is this just a change in recruiting lately?

I saw Colin Quinn do standup last week and he had a line, "the problem with cops is that to be one you have to be crazy enough to fight everyday at your nine to five job but obedient enough to do the paperwork after."

I've been thinking about it a lot.

e: Quinn was funny and good, only like 5% boomer bullshit

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Frosted Flake posted:

Are you maybe just paying attention to cops for the first time?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Bleck posted:

Are you maybe just paying attention to cops for the first time?

there's some deep lore about frosted flake which would inform you that that's probably not true, but it's not my place to mention it.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/CityNewsTO/status/1711392299438194757

:sigh:

https://twitter.com/ezralevant/status/1711378038158508451

:laffo:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

toronto police are too busy seizing arquebuses off the streets

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

better things aren't possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Weird how banned terrorist group Hamas can just publicly organize a rally like that in Toronto, the RCMP should really look into it.