Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

SkeletonHero posted:

Conspicuously absent from the discussion is the animated magnum opus Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century, with the robot Watson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyGAc-OLAiQ
Perfection, no notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So Kane Pixels uploaded a new video in their not backroom series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWNMsZ44ooc. Its a lot more interesting. I think they are using Unreal Engine 5 for it, which is neat.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

I believe that also features Moriarty roughly one billion percent more than it actually needs to so it sits well with Moffat's interpretation.

Edit: I just found the first episode on YouTube and the criminal that Lestrade is pursuing in the first episode calls her a "Yardie" which I KNOW they mean she's from scotland yard, but that's already a slang term we have and she is not that.

though I would absolutely love to watch a series about a yardie detective now

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

I assume it was made in a language where "Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century" scans better as a song lyric.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

BizarroAzrael posted:

I assume it was made in a language where "Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century" scans better as a song lyric.

According to Wikipedia it's a British and American produced thing so surprisingly not really.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

BizarroAzrael posted:

Made by DIC (when they'd moved to North America) and Scottish Television so somehow no. I mean I guess I don't know how it sounds in Scots but I don't think "Sherlock Holmes" scans whatever language you're singing in.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

njsykora posted:

The best Sherlock adaptation is the Jeremy Brett series. I was so happy when I found the complete DVD boxset of it but wish the later series weren't basically movies split in half to fit a normal timeslot instead of just airing as TV movies.

I second this. Its only flaw is that it is kinda depressing to watch after the first season because Jeremy Brett was on some meds for bipolar (if I remember correctly) and they were doing a number on him and you could see him physically get worse and worse as the seasons and episodes went along. However the first season is masterclass and well worth watching and every subsequent season is still extremely good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I love learning about oddball cartoons like this. The first episode even opens up with Lestrade getting the 'McCloud' speech. "You busted three cruisers, two buildings etc taking this guy down!" :allears:

It's like learning about that Stargate cartoon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
How about the robocop cartoon, or the second robocop cartoon, with the most thought-provoking lyrics ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa5LM8NrREA

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the best sherlock is hound because miyazaki worked on it

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

not sherlock holmes reported

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Absolutely the best version. Did Moriarty ever have a henchman horribly devoured? Did Sherlock ever have to tangle with a robotic Queen Victoria? Exactly.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

I'll never forget watching this in grade school and having every classmate turn their heads to look at me the second the mouse girl says her name for the first time, because it was also my name and we're all like seven so the coincidence was subsequently mind-blowing I guess

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
to ratigan the world's greatest RAT

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Look, that's cheating because it had Vincent Price in it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I still love the story about how that movie was originally going to be called "Basil of Baker Street" just like the book series it's based on, but Michael Eisner said that the movie title sucked, was "too English" and it should make the premise more obvious. So the name was adjusted to "The Great Mouse Detective" which all of the creative teams loving hated.

So someone sent this jokey memo around the animation studio:

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Nuns with Guns posted:

I still love the story about how that movie was originally going to be called "Basil of Baker Street" just like the book series it's based on, but Michael Eisner said that the movie title sucked, was "too English" and it should make the premise more obvious. So the name was adjusted to "The Great Mouse Detective" which all of the creative teams loving hated.

Tag yourself, I'm The Wonderful Elephant Who Could Really Fly

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lmao Aristocats

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Tag yourself, I'm The Wonderful Elephant Who Could Really Fly

The Girl Who Seems to Die

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

NikkolasKing posted:

I bought the DVDs for my GF over a decade ago now but for anybody here who is interested in what is certainly the best ever Sherlock, you can watch or download the series for free from the Internet Archive
https://archive.org/details/SherlockHolmesGranada
hell yes

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I appreciate that the best they could do for 'Robin Hood' was 'Robin Hood With Animals'

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

"The Boy Who Would Be King" is probably the name of several King Arthur things.

But I'm "Color and Music."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Eisner was right. Basil of Baker street is a poo poo title.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ghostlight posted:

I appreciate that the best they could do for 'Robin Hood' was 'Robin Hood With Animals'

Furrynception required terms not yet known

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I think The Great Mouse Detective is a pretty good title to be honest. It’s more descriptive for the sake of the little kids who might not understand the Baker Street reference, but with a bonus pun that only the adults are likely to get.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

Those are pretty much the same way Roald Dahl titled his books.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bakeneko posted:

I think The Great Mouse Detective is a pretty good title to be honest. It’s more descriptive for the sake of the little kids who might not understand the Baker Street reference, but with a bonus pun that only the adults are likely to get.

Do you think I had a clue what an Aristocat meant?

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Zeniel posted:

One of the most faithful adaptations of the characters is probably in the 1970s soviet tv series The Aventures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson. Apart from the fact that evetyone is speaking Russian and has Russian mannerisms, the setting and characterisations are all amazing.

And watson is much younger than holmes, which I think was the case in the original stories and constantly loses his poo poo at holmes when he does something really lovely. Like faking his own death or betrothing himself to a woman so he can get information out of her.

I think its all on YouTube too, highly recommend. Valisily Livanovs won an OBE for his portrayel of homles and his portrait in the sherlock holmes museum was largest and centremost for a reason. Dunno if it still is.

Vasily Livanov is also the voice of Gena the Crocodile in the Cheburashka cartoons :3:
https://youtu.be/XVDkdvEplrQ?feature=shared

:hai:

Crocobile fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 9, 2023

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Gaius Marius posted:

Eisner was right. Basil of Baker street is a poo poo title.

I'm not here to challenge Disney's Regina George in marketability. The memo's funny though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm not sure just naming your movie after the name of your protaganist is much more creative.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Nuns with Guns posted:

"A Fox and a Hound are Friends" sounds like a movie that started as an adaptation of the Frog and Toad series that was rendered nigh unrecognizable through production by committee...

Also as much as I want to tag myself with "Two Mice Save a Girl, "I'm pretty sure I'm actually "The Evil Bonehead"

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

herlock sholmes.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

My strongest memory of watching this is a kid is being so scared of the scene where Ratigan goes ballistic and beats the poo poo out of Basil that I left the room and hung out on the stairway when it got that far in reruns.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Solitair posted:

My strongest memory of watching this is a kid is being so scared of the scene where Ratigan goes ballistic and beats the poo poo out of Basil that I left the room and hung out on the stairway when it got that far in reruns.

I haven't thought about it in 25 years but yeah, I remember that whole showdown being way more brutal than it needed to be. It holds up, IMO.

https://youtu.be/9l5OAafMr7w?si=CHWmMJx-IUJpVGrz

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Mr.Radar posted:

Jammidodger, a trans man who normally reacts to both pro- and anti-LGBT memes, today put out a video reacting to an extremely biased "documentary" from the BBC on transgender children and teenagers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39QZYk9XDYk

And if you’ve watched this and are a little bummed out please watch this video of trans men reacting to something much more intelligent than that documentary: a 2006 romantic comedy that gave Amanda Bynes temporary gender dysphoria

https://youtu.be/eIYDVZ5a4lE?si=5xxyqCZuAbMaCM1e

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fujoYuQ4VXE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0kPHC4rzRc

Steve's back, with two reviews no less!

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Solitair posted:

They actually pull this off in the board game Villainous and it's why Ratigan is the best character.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Dunkey cameos in this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDfyFWz4r0E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SkeletonHero posted:

Conspicuously absent from the discussion is the animated magnum opus Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century, with the robot Watson.

woo! glad i didn't have to interfere. good work boys :hfive:

Nuns with Guns posted:

what's 'color and music' supposed to be? fantasia?