Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

The Oldest Man posted:

it's funny that people who are self-described pro palestine literally do not have the ability to conceptualize a world in which the palestinians win their own freedom with their own hands and tut tut that by not accepting their own deaths with dignity, they have doomed themselves

with friends like these

my sister is very sympathetic to palestinians, but absolutely hates hamas.

'palestine HAD the moral high ground, but hamas pissed it away.'

she loving minimized the US treatment of natives to condemn israel last night, and she STILL thinks hamas is wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

oh no not the moral high ground

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
it's over moral anakin,

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Dixon Chisholm posted:

she loving minimized the US treatment of natives to condemn israel last night, and she STILL thinks hamas is wrong!

the only subject wherein a discussion gets more irrationally angry faster than I/P in the US is prison reform.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Watchman Fell Asleep: The Surprise of Yom Kippur and Its Sources

Based on many formerly undisclosed intelligence and military documents, the secret protocols of discussions on the eve of the war, and interviews with relevant figures, The Watchman Fell Asleep is a compelling account of Israel's intelligence failure before the 1973 Arab attack known as the Yom Kippur War. The Hebrew version of this book was awarded the Tshetshik Prize for Strategic Studies on Israel's Security in 2001, and the Israeli Political Science Association's Best Book Award in 2002. Available here in English for the first time, Uri Bar-Joseph has crafted an authoritative explanation of the most traumatic event in Israel's stormy history and one of the biggest strategic military surprises of the twentieth century.

IDF institutional culture posted:

The illusion of invulnerability, which creates a sense of over-optimism and leads to a high level of risk-taking: Some members of the group had reservations about the validity of the conception but in many cases these reservations were not expressed in the discussions. Some participants maintained later that they thought that even if they were mistaken, the regular IDF force sufficed to block the offensives in the Suez and the Golan. Implicitly, they could make a mistake since its cost would not be too high.

Out-group stereotypes: Within this forum (but not only there) one can identify the tendency for underestimating Sadat and his leader- ship skills, as well as the Syrian–Egyptian ability to coordinate the initiation of war. It is important to note here that the stubborn be- lief that Sadat would not dare going to war without the necessary arms projected onto the Egyptian leader a simplistic, stereotypical, and unimaginative way of thinking that actually typified AMAN’s analysts themselves.

It also seems like Israel has already taken a bigger L here than in the October War,

"We cannot know what the course of the war would have been had the surprise been averted. Hence, no definite estimation of the IDF losses as a direct result of the surprise can be ascertained. The best that can be done is to estimate the IDF’s losses in the war’s first three days—until the end of its failed counterat- tack in Sinai, and the more successful counterattack in the Golan. These losses had been the direct outcome of surprise. And yet, it should be remembered that the heavy losses the IDF suffered throughout the rest of the war were also the direct outcome of the way the war started.

The IDF has never provided an official figure of the number of soldiers that were killed in the war’s first phase. The best figure we have, from a simple count, is 724 soldiers killed until the end of October 8. This figure does not include soldiers who were wounded and died later, or prisoners of war (most of whom were captured during the war’s first three days), who died in Syrian or Egyptian prisons.

The IDF was involved in heavy battles before, but throughout its history it had never paid so dearly for such minor achievements as it did on the war’s first day. In the morning of October 7, less than sixteen hours after fire started, Division 252—the main regular force that was supposed to hold back the Egyptian crossing force—was left with 103 tanks out of the 290 tanks it had when war started. The Egyptians, on the other hand, succeeded during these hours to cross the canal with 90,000 soldiers, 850 tanks, and 11,000 additional vehicles. The price they claim to have paid for this achievement was twenty tanks, five fighters, and 280 soldiers killed. If accepted at face value, this loss ratio means that for each destroyed Egyptian tank the IDF lost nine of its own. Such a loss ratio did not reflect a significant improvement in the performance of the Egyptian army or deterioration in the operational capabilities of the IDF’s tank teams. Eight days later, the Egyptian army launched its second offensive in the war. It lost about 250 tanks without any territorial gains. The Is- raelis lost 10–12 tanks. Only the shock of surprise, the confusion, the improper deployment, and the misunderstanding of the Egyptian war plan at the operational and strategic levels can explain the IDF’s initial failure. This combination of factors led to a situation in which many of the tanks of Division 252 were hit by Egyptian teams of tank hunters when they were on their way to their firing positions—the same positions they were supposed to hold when the war started. Many additional tanks were hit when they tried to assist the strongholds in response to desperate calls for help from the reserve soldiers that were not supposed to man them from the start."

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

HallelujahLee posted:

I have the moral high ground Hamanakin

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

liberalishly whispers to a palestinian about to get bombed "you have lost the moral high ground"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Dixon Chisholm posted:

my guess is your idiot sister will parrot whatever a puppet will tell her, uncritically

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

EU freezes aid payments for Palestinians

The European Commission puts its full portfolio of development aid to Palestinians, worth 691 million euros ($728.66 million), under review.

“The scale of terror and brutality against Israel and its people is a turning point,” Oliver Varhelyi, the EU Commissioner for Neighbourhood and Enlargement, said in a post on social media platform X.

“There can be no business as usual,” Varhelyi said.

The decision means that payments are immediately suspended, projects put under review and new budget proposals postponed until further notice, he added.

hows this for moral high ground

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Dixon Chisholm posted:

I regret to inform you your sister is a dipshit

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hamas announced that their anti-air missiles have targeted Israeli planes from a distance of 35 KM

There are currently gun battles in the Sofa settlement on the southern border of gaza

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

yes, good, make it so the only way to survive will be to shoot your way out of gaza, great plans everyone

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
NPR having a normal one today

"The attacks from Hamas, which have killed hundreds of Israeli civilians, including women and children, have caused Israel to respond with missile strikes into Gaza, also killing hundreds."

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Dixon Chisholm posted:

wow your sister is a stupid idiot

Ask her why she cares now and not when Israel killed ambulance workers and children for decades.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

With such rampant racist bullshit coming out of Europe, I don't see how more combatant parties will not become involved if all aid is being stopped.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Al-Saqr posted:

Here is my unironic level headed analysis of the current situation as of now:-

2- Its clear that now that the initial shock has landed, the israelis are going to try and put their foot forward, their massive bombing runs and their call up of their reservists and they are moving down all their tanks in a bid to regain control of the situation.

You might appreciate this,

"Beyond its human and material losses, the cost the IDF paid for being caught unprepared involved the state of combat readiness of the reserve forces upon their arrival at the front. In light of the chaotic way in which the war started, there were many claims that the reserve store units were poorly organized—allegedly proof of the fundamental neglect that contributed independently to the military failure. But as Adan pointed out, in 1973 the IDF was better prepared for war than in 1967. Still, in 1967 the IDF went to war better prepared since it had three weeks to get organized for the fighting. In Yom Kippur some of the reserve forces started their way to the front within a few hours from the time of mobilization, and in a number of cases they got into battle within twelve hours from call. As a result they fought in an unorganized manner and, in many cases, without being properly equipped. Moreover, out of 1,741 tanks that entered combat service in both fronts during the war’s first three days, only 309 arrived in the combat zone on transporters. The rest made their way on tracks; 168 of them suffered various technical problems. The rest entered combat in a low state of technical fitness due to the long drive on tracks. The hasty manner in which the armor brigades were mobilized caused some of them to equip themselves with tanks and kits from other brigades and to fight in unrecognized sectors. For example, Brigade 7 used the tanks of Reserve Brigade 179, and Brigade 179 was equipped with the tanks of Brigade 164, whose reserve store units were located in lower Galilee. The tank teams of Brigade 164, who were supposed to fight in the north, had been delivered to the south and there they were equipped with the tanks and kits of Brigade 7. These tanks had been in a low state of fitness since they were hurriedly left in the stores of Brigade 7 two weeks earlier."

I'm starting to wonder how much of the IDF's reputation is just PR, coasting from their own unprovoked full scale war of aggressive surprise invasion in 1967.

Didn't they just have a tank transporter roll over?

antipattern
Nov 8, 2019

Looking at mainstream coverage of this is making my blood boil. Just wall to wall support of Israel's openly genocidal poo poo. loving hell. Decades and decades of pure evil that violates every human right and the west doesn't just accept it but supports it. I hope Hezbollah, Iran and others do what's right.

d2i
d2a

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Al-Saqr posted:

Hamas announced that their anti-air missiles have targeted Israeli planes from a distance of 35 KM

i'm skeptical that hamas will be able to shoot down jets, but let's see what they got from ukraine

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
tell your sister that hamas is based and totally kicked israel's rear end

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/rzimmt/status/1711335860170342865

quote:

My two (or more) cents about Iran's involvement in recent developments in Southern Israel. In my opinion, two crucial distinctions are required.

First, it is necessary to distinguish between Iranian support to Hamas, as well as the ongoing coordination between IRGC, Hezbollah, Hamas, and the Palestinian Islamic Jihad (the "Resistance Front") and between the initiative, organization, and execution of the Hamas operation. While there is no doubt about the military cooperation between Iran and Hamas and Iran's increasing involvement in the Palestinian arena, including the West Bank, in recent years, I highly doubt whether Iran was significantly involved in Hamas's latest action. This is a Palestinian story. Did Hamas use Iranian aid? Definitely yes. Did Iran have an interest in this action? Yes. Does Hamas need Iranian permission to operate? No. Was there early coordination between Hamas, Iran, and Hezbollah? It's possible. But, in the end, it is an action by Hamas based on it own interests arising from the Palestinian reality. My assessment is also supported by the recent statement of the IDF spokesman who said, "Iran is a significant player, but we cannot say that it planned the operation or trained for it."

A second important distinction that is between the involvement of Iran (and Hezbollah) until the Hamas operation and what will happen from now on. In recent years, I shared the assessment that Iran has no interest in expanding the conflict between Israel and Hamas to other arenas through active participation (by itself and mainly through Hezbollah) during the occasional rounds of warfare between Israel and the Palestinians. I still believe that the concept according to which Iran has no interest in involving Hezbollah (which is considered by Tehran as a strategic tool to respond to a potential Israeli attack against Iran's nuclear facilities) is still relevant. However, we have recently witnessed at least three developments that may challenge the validity of this assessment:

A. The Hamas operation is a reality-changing event in the Middle East that may oblige Iran to move from the phase of ongoing support and coordination to a more direct involvement, especially if the Israeli response poses a significant challenge to Hamas.

B. In recent years, it has become increasingly clear to Iran that, with all due respect to the nuclear issue, a significant part of Israeli activity has been aimed at undermining the regional order and not only Iran's nuclear program. Therefore, Iran has been more committed to increase its involvement around Israeli borders (and even inside Israel) and perhaps is also prepared to pay a higher price for a possible confrontation with Israel, not only in the nuclear context.

C. Iran has practically positioned itself on the nuclear threshold and, at this stage, is not concerned with the possibility of Israeli military action except in the scenario (which does not seem likely at this stage) of a decision to break out to nuclear weapon. Therefore, Tehran may assess that using Hezbollah is no longer considered a "waste of capabilities" but a justified way to advance its strategic vision at the most convenient time. And so, in the bottom line, even assuming (as I do) that Iranian involvement in the implementation of the Hamas operation was not significant, I believe that the danger of escalating into an event involving Iran and Hezbollah has increased significantly.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

RadiRoot posted:

sir this is a wendys

okay well let me speak to wendy then. does she know about chinas position on hamas?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

There isn't much peeps here about public support of Israel, but that's probably because the government offered job internships to a bunch of businesses in Palestine Tower, so that would mean actively cheering for the deaths of people on that rubble. They did re-iterate "oh you're stuck in Gaza? Clearly as a hostage to Hamas" to the couple people they identified tho.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Sherbert Hoover posted:

i'm skeptical that hamas will be able to shoot down jets, but let's see what they got from ukraine

Israel flies f-35s so the problem will take care of itself

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

HallelujahLee posted:

Al! posted:

it's over moral anakin,

lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

mags posted:

Israel flies f-35s so the problem will take care of itself

hamas should just claim to have captured four f-35s and show pictures of three of them with 1, 2 and 4 painted on the sides

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

antipattern posted:

Looking at mainstream coverage of this is making my blood boil. Just wall to wall support of Israel's openly genocidal poo poo. loving hell. Decades and decades of pure evil that violates every human right and the west doesn't just accept it but supports it. I hope Hezbollah, Iran and others do what's right.

d2i
d2a

Israel is openly announcing intent to commit genocide in Gaza and westerners are completely lapping it up. Grotesque.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Israel now announcing that there's ANOTHER infiltration happening on the border with lebanon.

UPDATE

ALJAZEERA JUST STREAMED A LIVE ISRAELI BOMBING IN LEBANON PROPER

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 14:35 on Oct 9, 2023

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

VoicesCanBe posted:

Israel is openly announcing intent to commit genocide in Gaza and westerners are completely lapping it up. Grotesque.

they're just putting the dog to sleep

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

VoicesCanBe posted:

Westerners will be dealing with situations likely as soon as December.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Nonsense posted:

Westerners will be dealing with situations likely as soon as December.

lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Al-Saqr posted:

Israel now announcing that there's ANOTHER infiltration happening on the border with lebanon.

are there that many armed lebanese groups that are unaffiliated with Hezbollah? my limited understanding was they pretty much have a monopoly on that stuff

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

4- I am not surprised at all that the west bank hasnt exploded, FATAH and the PA are complete zionist puppets and have build a typical arab fascist dictatorship, but hopefully something can topple abbas's fat rear end off his chair.

got anything to read about this? idk much about either party or criticisms of them.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

UPDATE

ALJAZEERA JUST STREAMED A LIVE ISRAELI BOMBING IN LEBANON PROPER

escalation after escalation, other parties will enter soon.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

im glad that today, 10/9/2023, americans will be celebrating a holiday about having the moral high ground

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

whoever said israel is acting like an insane nutjob was right bombing lebanon proper is a big nono

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

WoodrowSkillson posted:

are there that many armed lebanese groups that are unaffiliated with Hezbollah? my limited understanding was they pretty much have a monopoly on that stuff

In theory, yes.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

aljazeera just showed israel bombing a town in southern lebanon

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
EU suspends all aid to palestine

Al!
Apr 2, 2010