Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I loved the feeling of being lost on a massive space station myself. Same as on System Shock 2 when i were a nipper, finding a storeroom on a random deck (near a lift for easy access) and using it to store stuff. And i felt it was surprisingly easy to get around later on in the game.

Different strokes, i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

muscles like this! posted:

Keeping the big ones would be fine if you could clear them out of an area and not have them respawn until you hit story checkpoints. Because as is it was just annoying to constantly have to deal with respawning enemies every time you returned to a place.

With the crown being the lobby, where thanks to technical jank your only option upon riding the elevator down and seeing one of every big nasty roaming around is to hop out facefirst into the mess.

Phigs posted:

They can keep the Mimics in. They weren't awesome combat but they were pretty inoffensive in that regard and really added to the atmosphere. Just you, a wrench, a gloo gun, and a whole lot of mimics.

I could totally vibe with a version of Prey that was more of a puzzle/Metroidvania kinda thing with minimal to zero combat.

Incidentally, if any of y'all are unfamiliar with Ctrl Alt Ego, I would suggest giving that a look.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Ctrl Alt Ego looks like entirely my poo poo, thanks

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Mimics were cool at first when they were novel and an actual threat. Really made me paranoid. That's a weird place for a cup, was that there before? I think I would've noticed. Ah, just a cup but oh poo poo I completely missed that new trash can gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Once they stopped being a threat and weren't novel anymore they became an annoyance.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Philippe posted:

Ctrl Alt Ego looks like entirely my poo poo, thanks

:tipshat:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

In case anyone missed it, they put out a Mimic Hide and Seek dlc that's pretty fun

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The layout in Prey was the least of my problems with it, and I liked the game.

I somehow nerfed myself and, at a certain point, was way too weak to handle the enemies that were being thrown at me. Which I've heard was next to impossible but, trust me, I pulled it off. It was a really cool game but I never finished it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I felt like I was playing the game badly or I had set up my skills or whatever wrong, because every battle felt like an epic confrontation where I had to use everything against it and just barely was able to walk away.

Really works well for the immersive horror part of it, but gets old

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The other experience is you max out the human combat tree and just cast timestop and murder everything before any of them get a turn. Or you max an offensive Typhon power and delete enemies with your alien mind powers.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Don't forget dumping weapon upgrade kits into trusty and reliable things like shotgun damage vs. I dunno Q-Beam reload time or some poo poo.

The game isn't like, an absolute straight decline of difficulty and there are harder sections of note but by the end you should be streamrolling over aliens pretty effortlessly. FWIW there is also a lot of dumb chaff or redundant crap in the skill trees that may have decoyed you or like was touched on earlier you're one of the people who were absolutely terrified to take any alien abilities at all whatsoever because the game makes the absolutely boneheaded decision to make it sound like there will dire consequences for doing so. Oh and a nice layer of poorly (or outright un-)explained combat mechanics like how literally any kind of status effect (including Gloo Gun goo) makes enemies take extra damage or that there's steatlh crits you can abuse.

Edit: That was ultimately another weird part of the game, despite looks to the contrary a lot of the combat mechanics would be right at home in the D&D game they were playing on the station.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 21:36 on Oct 7, 2023

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

John Murdoch posted:

With the crown being the lobby, where thanks to technical jank your only option upon riding the elevator down and seeing one of every big nasty roaming around is to hop out facefirst into the mess.

I could totally vibe with a version of Prey that was more of a puzzle/Metroidvania kinda thing with minimal to zero combat.

Incidentally, if any of y'all are unfamiliar with Ctrl Alt Ego, I would suggest giving that a look.

There is Shadows of Doubt
https://store.steampowered.com/app/986130/Shadows_of_Doubt/

Which is a basically a procedural Deus Ex style game about sneaking around in a city. There was a demo available during the Next Fest.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Alhazred posted:

I would argue that the One really, really bad day quest is even better.

An incredible quest. First playthrough I immediately kicked him off the cliff for an instakill the second the dialog finished. Second playthrough I romanced him because OBVIOUSLY Kassandra would want to try out the Eagle Bearer. Then I immediately kicked him off the cliff for an instakill the second the romance scene finished.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It's possible to play through Prey without using a single neuromod, so I wouldn't say you can really mess any upgrade choices up to the point of unplayability.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
The Quarry is a pretty fun game and I'm really digging it but there are two things that are really bothering me about it.

A) Too much teeth. I don't know what's up with the mo-cap but I've never seen so much goddamn teeth on display when people are talking. It's like, you know that guy, you all know at least one person, whose upper lip just goes up way too high and their top teeth are just constantly there? That's everyone in this game, except for Ryan, the best character, whose mouth bizarrely barely opens at all, and sometimes I'm absolutely certain his mouth isn't moving while he's talking.

okay but really the thing that bothers me about this game is

B) What's with the VHS tapes and CRT stuff? The main menu, the UI, it all has this huge 80s/90s aesthetic, but the game itself takes place in modern times, with smart phones and podcasts. So what's with the 80s thing? Is it just because this game kinda sorta is like an 80s slasher? There's so much 80s goofiness going on in the UI that I'm certain the plot twist is going to be that this game actually takes place in the 80s somehow.

Okay but what I really like about this game:

You can kill off the obnoxious teenagers. The game kind of treats this like you did something bad, and will even take away a "life" from you if you want to save them, but -- hell no, half of these kids are borderline date rapists and deserve to get slashed / beheaded / burned / drowned / turned into a The Descent thing

edit to add more annoying stuff:

C) There's a dude complaining about how he woke up fully nude but he's just shirtless. He goes on for a few lines about how naked he is. He's wearing jeans. I wonder if the publisher was like at the last minute, no no, no nudity here, but they couldn't change the dialogue?

credburn has a new favorite as of 06:31 on Oct 8, 2023

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

darkwasthenight posted:

An incredible quest. First playthrough I immediately kicked him off the cliff for an instakill the second the dialog finished. Second playthrough I romanced him because OBVIOUSLY Kassandra would want to try out the Eagle Bearer. Then I immediately kicked him off the cliff for an instakill the second the romance scene finished.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I've started playing Empires of the Undregrowth, and it's a fun take on RTS games where you play as a colony of ants. That being said, while you can upgrade rooms to enhance their effects, and the tutorial messages say that leveling a room up to 3 unlocks a special ability for that ant, I can't actually find anything saying if upgrading a room makes that ant twice as good, or if you're better off just building another chamber so you get another ant. The upgraded ants SEEM to kill insects faster, but i don't know if they're actually killing the enemies faster, or it's just RNG that the ants are swarming one insect at a time rather than attacking all of them at once.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

All games should have the option of easy mode. They just should.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
more like oldskilless

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

oldpainless posted:

They hated him because he told them the truth

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I gave From Heaven to Earth another go from the PSN but despite the interesting level theming the game is just kind of annoying to play because the 5th world is a huge maze of white towers on a white background with invisible bridges everywhere that makes navigation a nightmare, but also the game is broken as the trophies don't trigger at the right times. Sometimes I find a secret and the trophy for it just doesn't activate, or the trophies for clearing a world activate in the first level of that world and aren't even labelled correctly with the 4th area giving the trophy for area 11.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
We can make easy modes mandatory, but as a compromise we also need to bring back the difficulty level names that make fun of you for choosing it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Easy Mode is called "watching somebody else play it on Youtube" these days.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Snake Maze posted:

We can make easy modes mandatory, but as a compromise we also need to bring back the difficulty level names that make fun of you for choosing it.

Maidenless Baby mode for Big Babies that Can't Git Gud

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

credburn posted:

The Quarry is a pretty fun game and I'm really digging it but there are two things that are really bothering me about it.

A) Too much teeth. I don't know what's up with the mo-cap but I've never seen so much goddamn teeth on display when people are talking. It's like, you know that guy, you all know at least one person, whose upper lip just goes up way too high and their top teeth are just constantly there? That's everyone in this game, except for Ryan, the best character, whose mouth bizarrely barely opens at all, and sometimes I'm absolutely certain his mouth isn't moving while he's talking.

okay but really the thing that bothers me about this game is

B) What's with the VHS tapes and CRT stuff? The main menu, the UI, it all has this huge 80s/90s aesthetic, but the game itself takes place in modern times, with smart phones and podcasts. So what's with the 80s thing? Is it just because this game kinda sorta is like an 80s slasher? There's so much 80s goofiness going on in the UI that I'm certain the plot twist is going to be that this game actually takes place in the 80s somehow.

Okay but what I really like about this game:

You can kill off the obnoxious teenagers. The game kind of treats this like you did something bad, and will even take away a "life" from you if you want to save them, but -- hell no, half of these kids are borderline date rapists and deserve to get slashed / beheaded / burned / drowned / turned into a The Descent thing

edit to add more annoying stuff:

C) There's a dude complaining about how he woke up fully nude but he's just shirtless. He goes on for a few lines about how naked he is. He's wearing jeans. I wonder if the publisher was like at the last minute, no no, no nudity here, but they couldn't change the dialogue?

B - Yes. It’s exactly that. It’s just pointing out “hey this is part of our inspiration.”

C - Yeah, there were probably rewrites.

Overall I think it’s a good game. You can tell they actually had a budget this time around. If you wanna see that type of game without a budget go play the Dark Pictures games because yikes does the quality control go to poo poo. Doesn’t help they’re putting out a game a year.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Snake Maze posted:

Okay, but what if we flip the convention and name the harder difficulty modes in ways that make fun of people for it?

I'm thinking stuff like 'Too Much Time On Your Hands', 'Not As Impressive As You Think', and of course, 'I Want To Make Smug Youtube Comments'.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Cleretic posted:

Okay, but what if we flip the convention and name the harder difficulty modes in ways that make fun of people for it?

I'm thinking stuff like 'Too Much Time On Your Hands', 'Not As Impressive As You Think', and of course, 'I Want To Make Smug Youtube Comments'.

"Maidenless but for the Opposite Reasons Mode"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I’m going to have to take a level in rogue just to get Sleight of Hand on a party member in BG3 because 5e sucks rear end.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The chickenhat in MGSV is really bad, though, still.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
There should be a difficulty where if you fail instead of a game over the enemies just point and laugh at you and let you progress out of pity

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Leal posted:

There should be a difficulty where if you fail instead of a game over the enemies just point and laugh at you and let you progress out of pity

That's the chicken hat, my friend.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

And it's a thing of beauty :colbert:

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Philippe posted:

The chickenhat in MGSV is really bad, though, still.

Bad as in good?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

oldpainless posted:

My favourite is where one mode is too easy and the next step up is basically a blender. Oh you want friendly fire on? Cool, cool, also everything has three times the health and you have half the ammo lol.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm prepared to die on this hill. I don't like the chickenhat. I'd rather it wasn't in the game to begin with.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cleretic posted:

Easy
"Normal"
Actual Normal
Hard
Tryhard
Get a real job
We're just loving with you there's not even an achievement for this one
EZ-mode for scrubs

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Splicer posted:

My favourite is where one mode is too easy and the next step up is basically a blender. Oh you want friendly fire on? Cool, cool, also everything has three times the health and you have half the ammo lol.

Max Payne 1 and 2 are buck wild about this. You start off with only Fugitive (Normal, according to the game files) and then after beating it unlock Hard-Boiled (Nightmare) and Dead On Arrival (Hell). There is no hard mode. It just jumps right from you and enemies both having 1.0x health, to enemies having 1.5x and you having 0.4x, meaning you die in one deagle shot.

edit: Alan Wake would do the exact same thing years later to a slightly more frustrating effect because it also gave enemies more shielding!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Give your players a shot of confidence by giving the hard difficulties easy names.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lobok posted:

Give your players a shot of confidence by giving the hard difficulties easy names.

Rise of the Triad has the best one of these.

"No one shall live". Yeah, including you, the player :black101:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It was a very simple sentence that I screwed up somehow but I meant to say "make the hardest-sounding difficulties actually be the easiest ones."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I really wish Falcom had an overseas subsidiary. I don't give a poo poo about Trails but I don't want to wait a year and a half for Ys X to get localized.