Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Nix Panicus posted:

Id feel bad for the ravers if they werent literally set up at the edge of Gaza for a lurid thrill. Its like when someone sits down next to a bear on some talk show and the bear decides that today is the day and just mauls the poo poo out of them. Its tragic, yeah, but maybe have some caution and respect?

Also its not like Israel has ever shown restraint around civilians, before or after, so gently caress em. Everyone who has ever served in the IDF and every settler are vital components of the Israeli regime of oppression and occupation and are valid targets.
this might be morally unserious, but since i'm being that, and if i distance myself from the politics of the situation, the more it looks like a bad and cheesy horror movie. there's these people on X and they're high af three miles away from this beehive of hamas militants. it's six in the morning and the music is still going and here comes the paragliders. death from above 2023. but people react to it like they just watched jason vorhees terrorize a summer camp. some are horrified, and some cheer on the serial killer just because his prey are so stupid and irresponsible. three miles away. what the gently caress. the whole situation is certifiably insane.

even trying to squint at it from a pro-israel point of view, what were they thinking? the cliche goes: the middle east is a dangerous neighborhood. what are these people doing? hamas kidnapped this girl that's been in the news, and that's who we're being told to feel sorry for, but she was also in the military (or had been, apparently), so that's what the military is doing?

israel is a bizarre country. seems like it tends toward the extremes. they can't afford to lose people because a significant minority of israeli jews are ultra-orthodox people who want to live unchanged from their ancestors from 19th-century eastern europe. then you have a bunch of bisexual party people who don't have any hangups about that and actually do serve in the military. an israeli goon some years ago described the country as like going from borat to bruno in one night, and i remembered that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28Bmu9sS4Oo&t=8s

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 15:20 on Oct 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

stumblebum posted:

i hope they get their accuracy up to 99.9%

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Kunster posted:

I still wanna hear more about that.

I can't find the original quote but I first remember it being cited in the behind the bastards police series. I did find this from the nyt in 2007:

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/09/weekinreview/09baker.html posted:

In all shootings — including those against people, animals and in suicides and other situations — New York City officers achieved a 34 percent accuracy rate (182 out of 540), and a 43 percent accuracy rate when the target ranged from zero to six feet away. Nearly half the shots they fired last year were within that distance.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Spaced God posted:

It's so cool when people learn about this for the first time

Next look up the nypd submarine fleet. Or the time they tried to boost officer shooting accuracy during incidents by including officer suicides as one shot perpetrator kills and still couldn't break 30%

What the absolute gently caress

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

:swoon:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the NYPD is more well-funded than the majority of the world's militaries

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Spaced God posted:

I can't find the original quote but I first remember it being cited in the behind the bastards police series. I did find this from the nyt in 2007:

less than 50% accuracy at 0-6 feet, i'm pretty sure you could take any 10 random people off the street and match that

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Nix Panicus posted:

What the absolute gently caress

An officer engaged and neutralised a domestic abuser

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

https://x.com/SerpicoDet/status/1711349273214820498?s=20

hell yeah serpico owns

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

less than 50% accuracy at 0-6 feet, i'm pretty sure you could take any 10 random people off the street and match that

i've got some stunning news about nypd recruitment

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Al! posted:

i've got some stunning news about nypd recruitment

i get it but presumably they are supposed to put guns in those peoples' hands and have them shoot it a couple times so that they can do better than 50% AT 6 loving FEET AWAY

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Google Butt posted:

imagine dying with a trance beat in the background.. gently caress

this us why i told my wife to take the phish cds out of the car

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

All the articles about Israel cutting off Gaza's power never mention why Gaza doesn't have it's own power plant.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i have a pet theory that a lot of those types just want to avoid feeling politically impotent and so just nod along with whatever their leaders say so they can imagine they're all sitting at the big boy table where people give a poo poo what they think

they hate any kind of responsibility for other people, especially people of other cultures so they just go along with whatever means they're the least responsible. liberalism as an idea is fundamentally just "live, laugh, love" and if you ever imply we need to consciously think about the world and the events that happen it means youre mentally ill.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
aljazeera reporting that hamas has managed to bag a new batch of idf pows just now

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

remember when the epoch times was pushing secret CCP police stations? it's all projection

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Spaced God posted:

It's so cool when people learn about this for the first time

Next look up the nypd submarine fleet. Or the time they tried to boost officer shooting accuracy during incidents by including officer suicides as one shot perpetrator kills and still couldn't break 30%

Lmao, that's a good one

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

AnimeIsTrash posted:

All the articles about Israel cutting off Gaza's power never mention why Gaza doesn't have it's own power plant.

Does it also neglect to include the part where they called Palestinians human animals

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

woke greens taking over palestine

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Me and the boys in the NYPD training to hit a target 6 feet away:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

any chance the West Bank provides any support?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Remember that's less than 50% with suicides lmao

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

THEY DID

THATS WHY THEY WERE SUBJECTED TO THE GAZA SIEGE

BECAUSE THEY VOTED

That's voting wrong though

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

i get it but presumably they are supposed to put guns in those peoples' hands and have them shoot it a couple times so that they can do better than 50% AT 6 loving FEET AWAY

The problem with police training is that the part of their training that deals with threat escalation is based around a grizzled veteran cop screaming at you that you're about to die and if you don't shoot now and fast and immediately without thinking about it the perp is going to kill you, pull your driver's license out of your wallet, go to your house and kill your family too.

You can spend eight hours a day on the range and it won't matter if you've been programmed to poo poo your pants in fear and terror respond with violence

Police accuracy rates are so low because they're reflective of combat ability during an active panic attack

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Me and the boys in the NYPD training to hit a target 6 feet away:

pulling the target forward and all the holes are in a perfect circle around the body

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Fatah isn't going to do poo poo but there's a general strike and some violence going on

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The thing that gets me talking to anyone now about this is this intense focus on making sure we condemn the attacks, anything but that is terrorism support.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Closing the ring seems improbable without a similar invasion force also in the West Bank. Abbas is a corrupt slug

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

The problem with police training is that the part of their training that deals with threat escalation is based around a grizzled veteran cop screaming at you that you're about to die and if you don't shoot now and fast and immediately without thinking about it the perp is going to kill you, pull your driver's license out of your wallet, go to your house and kill your family too.

You can spend eight hours a day on the range and it won't matter if you've been programmed to poo poo your pants in fear and terror respond with violence

once elon musk can use neuralink to kill the fear in their brain this will no longer be an issue

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Honest Thief posted:

The thing that gets me talking to anyone now about this is this intense focus on making sure we condemn the attacks, anything but that is terrorism support.

In the UK it's a crime now

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
israel announces all israelis in the north to seek refuge in bomb shelters immediately

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

theres definitely violence and some fighting and a general strike it may or may not expand beyond that

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Al-Saqr posted:

israel announces all israelis in the north to seek refuge in bomb shelters immediately

Bah gawd is that Hezbollah's music??

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

Al-Saqr posted:

Is hesbola really getting in on this lmso

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

fits my needs posted:

lol does that line actually work on backpackers?

it’s funny, every american tourist i met said they didn’t vote for GW bush?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Spaced God posted:

Is hesbola really getting in on this lmso

Israel already bombed Lebanon so they are in it regardless now

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

hezbollah harden your hearts

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

this might be morally unserious, but since i'm being that, and if i distance myself from the politics of the situation, the more it looks like a bad and cheesy horror movie. there's these people on X and they're high af three miles away from this beehive of hamas militants. it's six in the morning and the music is still going and here comes the paragliders. death from above 2023. but people react to it like they just watched jason vorhees terrorize a summer camp. some are horrified, and some cheer on the serial killer just because his prey are so stupid. three miles away. what the gently caress. the whole situation is certifiably insane.

Yeah, I had the same thought while out on a morning walk. Theyre the teens in a horror movie who go to a party at the old haunted murder house, except its the still active murder house and their friends, family, and government are the ones responsible for the ongoing murders. Its just profoundly stupid.

Also lmao about the moral high ground in general. Anyone complaining about Palestine losing the moral high ground was always going to find an excuse to support Israel, and no amount of war crimes or genocide will ever tarnish Israel in their eyes.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

once elon musk can use neuralink to kill the fear in their brain this will no longer be an issue

Police realistically need months or years of intensive training in discipline, conflict de-escalation and rules of engagement

Naturally we will try to solve this problem instead by wiring their brains or giving them drugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Al Mayadeen's correspondent in southern Lebanon: The Israeli bombing on the outskirts of the town of Ayta ash-Shab has been ongoing for about an hour and a half.

Al Mayadeen's correspondent in southern Lebanon: The Israeli bombing of the town of Ayta ash-Shab hits residential areas