Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Comfortador posted:

Lol :drat: justice is swift in this thread.

You should see what happens in the electrical thread when someone well ackshuallys in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Speaking of chlorine, I'm on month five of in ground pool ownership. This is a bare bones system with a canister filter, no back flush system and no salt generator. According to Leslie's estimate it's 23,000 gal so medium but on the small side of medium

Went through about 10 gallons of chlorine @ $8/gal
3 gallons muriatic acid @ $20/gal(?)
4 x 3" chlorine tablets @ $4 ea
1 extra thick plastic Chlorine tablet floaty (original was beyond EOL) @ $30
1 packet of shock @ $7
1 "drop in basket" algaecide @ $70
Misc pool toys, pool noodles, life jacket for toddler $100
Pool intrusion alarm $200
New pool brush head $40

So like, $267 for pool chemicals (+/- 10%) and another $340 for safety equipment and miscellaneous accessories. So like $600 first year costs. I still need to buy an auto vacuum Roomba thing ($900) but turns out I'm rather efficient at sweeping leaves into a vortex that carries them to the skimmer and then I just empty that. Next year purchase.

I've been targeting about 1ppm chlorine and my test results reflect that. Usually right before I'm ready to dose chlorine I'll get the pool tested and it's around 0.5ppm free chlorine and then Leslie's will instruct me to add about half to 3/4 gallon bleach (vinegar conspicuously missing)

We were out of town for a little over a week in the middle of summer (was super low free chlorine when we left like 0.20) so I did a single shock treatment when I got back. Pool has been crystal clear all summer. My calcium harness has always been right at the edge of low and my phosphates have always been like 200ppb when I should be targeting 100 but both numbers have been very stable so I'm not super worried about it

Only put 4 chlorine tablets in the pool all summer. I leave the gate on the floaty closed and it dissolves pretty slowly. I think when we first moved in I added three Clorox branded tablets from home depot (uncounted) to keep some amount of chlorine in the pool while we got settled. CYA levels (which I guess UV stabilizes the liquid chlorine) have been pretty steady all summer at about 50 which is near ideal. CYA is about 30% of the content of the tablets so I guess I'm dosing about correct.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

GlyphGryph posted:

Am I doing poo poo wrong or is finding someone halfway capable of fixing or even looking at literally anything wrong with a home nearly impossible nowadays? Maybe it's both.
Reopenings after the pandemic* released a flood of stalled remodeling jobs. Materials went up dramatically in price. Finding a contractor that will return your calls about small jobs is difficult for everybody, because the contractors are full up with big jobs.

*aka "after everybody official decided to stop giving a gently caress about the pandemic"

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I ended up getting brush attachments for a drill and some CLR mold & mildew spray. It did ok at removing mold, and hopefully the black spots that are left in the hard-to-access nook are nice and dead.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Last night I discovered one of the stair treads of my basement stairs is split. It's an old dado stringer staircase that is open at the back and has a handrail that needs to be replaced. I've got some updates planned for this winter but obviously this is a bit more urgent. This morning while strategizing how to fix it, I thought I'd turn to my original home inspection to see if there might be anything helpful there.

lol my inspector sucked so bad

The "OSB"

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Our basement staircase was very poorly made and one of the stringers detached from the ceiling where it was improperly anchored. The trigger? A very fat HVAC tech.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Upgrade posted:

Our basement staircase was very poorly made and one of the stringers detached from the ceiling where it was improperly anchored. The trigger? A very fat HVAC tech.

How do you like working in HVAC, btw?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

PainterofCrap posted:

If I had the money, I’d go with option #2 and the peace of mind it brings with the full warranty.

If money’s tight, but you’re also a gambling man, #1 would be the way to go. But you could lose big and wind up going with #2 anyway

Went with option 2. I have a working mini split system again. Also the previous installers were probably idiots.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Sundae posted:

How do you like working in HVAC, btw?

That was good!

I felt bad for the guy, he was like the staircase slowly dropped a few inches on one side

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Had a new neighbor move in 2 doors down. I noticed last night there was some water leaking from the garage. I thought they were home so I figured they’d notice.

They weren’t home and I should have checked because the leak got a lot worse but thankfully the main shutoff valve is in the same place in all these houses so I shut that off at the very least.

Hopefully it’s just the hot water heater but it could be anything because they used the most poo poo pipes in this community and nearly everyone has had a leak.

Feel kinda bad because they legit moved in like 3 days ago lol

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

MarcusSA posted:

Had a new neighbor move in 2 doors down. I noticed last night there was some water leaking from the garage. I thought they were home so I figured they’d notice.

They weren’t home and I should have checked because the leak got a lot worse but thankfully the main shutoff valve is in the same place in all these houses so I shut that off at the very least.

Hopefully it’s just the hot water heater but it could be anything because they used the most poo poo pipes in this community and nearly everyone has had a leak.

Feel kinda bad because they legit moved in like 3 days ago lol

Maybe don't touch another person's property hth

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zarin posted:

You sound like a nice neighbor.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

MarcusSA posted:

You sound like a nice neighbor.

Yeah, no, I'm a Goon.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Zarin posted:

I assume Marcus knocked a couple times, prolly put a note on the door as to why the water is off, etc.

Think its the nice thing to do if you notice a shitload of water literally leaking out of someone's house.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Zarin posted:

Do you have a good relationship with your neighbors?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Struensee posted:

Do you have a good relationship with your neighbors?

Sorry, it must not have come across very well that I was being mostly facetious there.

For an actual answer/content, that is a really tough/awkward situation for sure. I think certainly one where "ask for forgiveness, not permission" is absolutely warranted, though!

Especially if the entire neighborhood has a history of plumbing failures, which is something that the new owner is likely not even aware of. (At that point anyway; I'm sure they are now :v: :( )

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I have a dead deer in my back yard.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Call your state's game/wildlife division. They will probably come get rid of it for you (they will likely want to know why one just dropped dead other than being hit by a car).

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

its probably diseased so stay far away and maybe spray down the area with something after it gets removed

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Motronic posted:

Call your state's game/wildlife division. They will probably come get rid of it for you (they will likely want to know why one just dropped dead other than being hit by a car).

They're closed today but supposedly someone else on Facebook had a similar issue and MDC told them to just shove it into a dumpster. Given my prior experience that sounds like a plausible response.

Edit: Missouri Department of Conservation

Baddog
May 12, 2001

PerniciousKnid posted:

They're closed today but supposedly someone else on Facebook had a similar issue and MDC told them to just shove it into a dumpster. Given my prior experience that sounds like a plausible response.

Edit: Missouri Department of Conservation

Imagining you and a friend pulling up to the back of a mcdonalds and heaving a bloated rancid deer carcass into their dumpster

"the state told me to do this"

edit for some content - I dunno, maybe call the non emergency police line? They'll get a giggle out of it at least. I'm guessing you don't have enough land where the other wildlife will take care of it in a day or two. And this thing is gonna get kinda nasty quick.

Baddog fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 9, 2023

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Drag it into the street, now it's a different department's problem.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
I've heard of people dumping carcasses in the woods.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ashcans posted:

There’s no way this isn’t what 99% of folks do since the local governments clearly don’t give a gently caress. Telling someone to find a dumpster is awful and illegal advice.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
https://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Trebuchet

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

Ashcans posted:

We did this once when I was a kid with an elk, Fish and Game recommended we do it since "there are dead deer and elk along the highway anyway."

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Lucky bastard, here am I going through the work of dragging corpses back to my yard and one just delivers itself to yours, I would love to get a nice deer corpse. >:|

Also, you really want to deal with it before it starts liquifying, do not put this off because the longer you wait the worse it gets to handle in every conceivable way if you have to handle it, and the worse the smell will get and the more it will permeate your house and stick around after the corpse is gone.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Baddog posted:

Imagining you and a friend pulling up to the back of a mcdonalds and heaving a bloated rancid deer carcass into their dumpster

"the state told me to do this"

edit for some content - I dunno, maybe call the non emergency police line? They'll get a giggle out of it at least. I'm guessing you don't have enough land where the other wildlife will take care of it in a day or two. And this thing is gonna get kinda nasty quick.

I called the police first, they directed me to the MDC!

I could hypothetically drag it to the trees where the property line is kinda fuzzy but my wife has too much deer-related anxiety to allow that.

Edit: $500 to pay for removal, in case anyone was wondering.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

yep

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

Lmfao yeah gently caress that, drag it into the street

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Worth every penny. Consider Dogs in Elk and do otherwise.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Google, what do I do with a dead deer in my yard?

quote:

If it’s not fresh enough to eat I’ll compost it. I’ve covered one with a big pile of weeds, lowered a brush hog-type tractor mower on top, and stirred it up well. It composted well and didn’t even stink.

Jesus christ dude. I guess his bush hog had skirts on it so it didn't spray 200 feet, but good lord. Must have looked like a massive carpaccio salad.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Now I know what those skirts they sent with mine are really for.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Who doesn't want a yard full of deer tartare?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Will it pulverize teeth? Asking for a friend

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

lol dump that poo poo

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Long sleeve shirt, gloves, mask and make it the cities problem on the street imo

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of an interior cover for this U-shaped window AC? https://www.geappliances.com/applia...BC#ownerSupport

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I had a raccoon get . . . ripe . . . in my attic once.

Glad this deer didn't end up there, at least! :v:

The responses from the authorities on this are downright horrifying though. What the gently caress :psyduck:

I dunno if it's hunting season yet, but my guess would be it got injured (vehicle, weapon, something) and ran off until it couldn't anymore.

Still, spooky as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
My neighborhood has a feral cat problem, so I reached out to our local animal control department to see about trap/release programs.

The good news? The city has one! It's paid for by a grant from the state, so just submit an application and come put down a refundable deposit on a trap, then bring in the cat for free neuter/vax, then release it back to where you found it. The bad news? Well, the grant was fund-limited and the town ran out of money from it after 2,348 cats were brought in in 2023 to date. It's $48 now per cat plus a $100 deposit to use their traps. :v:

I'm glad people are making good use of the program, but Jesus christ, people... fix your cats and stop dumping them all over the place. :wtc:

Sundae fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 9, 2023