Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
if Potions and 80,000 is made by the same author, does it mean they're actually a finished LN for once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Stardust Telepath: a girl meets another girl who's a space alien with forehead touching mind reading powers. the alien is fun and i liked the style with all the cute ufos, gradient hair, and soft lines but i have a really hard time sitting through shows about a character's social anxiety and this is very much one of those.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

GateOfD posted:

if Potions and 80,000 is made by the same author, does it mean they're actually a finished LN for once

you can work on multiple things at once (I’m not googling this so idk)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nobody has ever finished an LN

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i do like the pattern of making officelady isekai characters that are genre savvy.
oh they also wrote Make my Abilities Average

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I remember reading the synopsis for 80,000 Gold when I first started getting into manga and thinking it sounded like an interesting premise. But actually watching it was such a disappointing experience. I gave up around when the fat, arrogant noble is parading around her shop and belittling her (and even sexually threatening her????), but—SURPRISE!—everything has perfectly worked out in the protagonist's favor and the shallow revenge plot is neatly tied up almost as quickly as it was introduced.

Just taking an interesting premise and doing absolutely nothing notable with it. How's she going to handle converting her material wealth in the fantasy world to something usable on Earth? How will the fantasy world change after she introduces Earth goods to it? Things like this are briefly considered and the handwaved away as if the author had no interest in anything other than just straightforward "everything's going pretty well for our hero, I betcha wish you were in her shoes" slop. Which wouldn't even necessarily be a terrible thing if it felt cozy or amusing or anything, but it just... plods along and along. It was a very disillusioning experience in my "manga & anime guy" career.

From what I remember reading, Survive Using Potions is pretty much the same thing. You either have to put hard limits and definitions on "I can make whatever potions I want in whatever container I want at any time and in any quantity" or you have to lean in HARD to exploring how insane that kind of power could be. Instead, you get the protagonist changing her hair color with a potion to escape a second or third story room, rather than doing something fantastical like creating an invisibility potion to sneak out, or a flight potion to leave through the window, or a hypnosis potion, or an intangibility potion, etc.

I feel like I put more thought into this post than the author did for either series.

GateOfD posted:

Baka / Manga Updates says both novel series are still ongoing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wait, what does the show do about the money thing? Because in the manga she takes the gold coins she gets from fantasy world and takes them to some mercs in our world to have them convert it to cash. she also just pays them in gold outright to hire them

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
yea that's how it goes in the anime, guess he stopped before it got there.

think he's just expecting too much in a casual living series

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 9, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Potion ep1 done. pretty fun. The main girl is adorable and spunky. Similar to Abilities Average, the gods misinterpret the cheat requests. Here they send her to a 'magic' world where its really just a regular world with the smallest drop of magic you can imagine. And in Abilities Average, the god includes the stats of dragons and stuff into the equation instead of just humans.

My extra cheat request (on top of regular ones) would probably be able to access the internet of my old world. I think I would get bored otherwise.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The first episode of Berserk Of Gluttony made me think it was going to be a brooding :black101: grimdark :black101: show because he was living a miserable life and was regularly getting beat up by corrupt knights who held complete power over him and he'd pretty much given in to despair and expected to die sometime soon but episode 2 felt more like a light fantasy where he uses his :black101: demonic soul stealing powers :black101: to rescue innocent orphans and he also has a cute love interest

The promo art even has him standing on a ridiculously huge pile of goblin corpses, dressed all in black and wearing a skull mask:

So grimdark

I went and read the first few volumes of the manga and there's a constant threat that he might lose control of his powers because if he doesn't keep stealing souls to feed it then it'll eventually overpower him and make him go berserk and murder everyone around him, but it turns out he can just go kill a bunch of monsters and he's fine. :shrug: He does go and pretty much murder one of the corrupt knights who been beating the poo poo out of him, but it's revealed that the same guy was responsible for the orphans being kidnapped and other horrible deeds so his death was justified. That's okay, another light fantasy is fine.

Also it turns out that his real super power is to summon ridiculous mall ninja weapons :v:

Orb Crabmelt posted:

From what I remember reading, Survive Using Potions is pretty much the same thing. You either have to put hard limits and definitions on "I can make whatever potions I want in whatever container I want at any time and in any quantity" or you have to lean in HARD to exploring how insane that kind of power could be. Instead, you get the protagonist changing her hair color with a potion to escape a second or third story room, rather than doing something fantastical like creating an invisibility potion to sneak out, or a flight potion to leave through the window, or a hypnosis potion, or an intangibility potion, etc.

I feel like I put more thought into this post than the author did for either series.

Yeah I feel that the "Create any potion in any container" skill could be used really creatively because the container could be the cupholder in a fully armed & operational Abrams battle tank, or it could be a ten foot tall goblet made out of gold and diamonds which you could sell for millions of dollar, or it could be cupped in the hand of a huge battle golem, etc etc etc.. It's basically a "create any object you can think of, no limits" cheat power but it remains to be seen if they actually do anything interesting with it

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 9, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
she pretty much does that first thing you mentioned but in fantasy terms

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The only isekai series I can think of that actually ended instead of being discontinued are Mushoku Tensei (which, it's literally the first one it drat better have ended by now) and Shield Hero.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

mycot posted:

The only isekai series I can think of that actually ended instead of being discontinued are Mushoku Tensei (which, it's literally the first one it drat better have ended by now) and Shield Hero.

great track record there

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Konosuba also finished!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Bookworm has ended. (Well, in it's original iteration)

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Slime's WN also ended and the series is near completion if I recall from the authors post.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Shy ep 2 stuck the landing. took a hard turn for the dark and dramatic and those visuals helped make it land. gonna make the thread for it i think since it's second to Frieren this season for me so far

e: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4044016

symbolic fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 9, 2023

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

Slime's WN also ended and the series is near completion if I recall from the authors post.

But how many of those WNs were pointless festivals and other filler?

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

GateOfD posted:

yea that's how it goes in the anime, guess he stopped before it got there.

think he's just expecting too much in a casual living series

I went past that point; I just thought it was a pretty boring answer. Having to balance having access to an alternate reality with real world logistical questions was one of the things that sounded interesting from the synopsis, but it's all neatly solved with "a Blackwater-esque PMC will just take all of her gold dubloons with no questions asked."

I like slice of life stories too, but nothing in 80,000 Gold was very compelling in that regard either. She has no supporting cast to bounce off of except for the most one-dimensional nobodies, so it's only her selling shampoo to nobility. At least until the point I stopped.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Fangz posted:

Bookworm has ended. (Well, in it's original iteration)

LN will be done in a couple of months!

Still has a spinoff though and... something else... related to it that might get written after the author takes a break after 10 years of only Bookworm writing

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New thread first Shy is up :toot:

quote:

Shy
8bit | Masaomi Andou | Yasuhiro Nakanishi | Action, Drama | Manga | Oct 3, 2023
Just as the planet approached its third World War, individuals with superpowers appeared from around the globe to maintain peace. They became the symbols of their respective nations, striving to limit crime and bring evildoers to justice. Teenage heroine Teru "Shy" Momijiyama is Japan's representative in the world of heroes. When a mysterious threat called Amalareiks emerges, Shy must work together with her fellow heroes to stop them at all costs.
PV
Thread

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Hoshikuzu Telepath: Ep1 a solid enough Kirara adaptation. Very cute and genki and fuwa fuwa. Also one of two series this season where the MC is socially awkward and has lesbian subtext in their series.

SHY: Ep2 and the series seems to be getting into the actual plot and action after a relatively slow start

I Favor the Villainess: Ep2 is even gayer and now with more fanservice.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i liked hoshitele, seems like a good kirara. alien girl got a couple laughs out of me which as much as i like these shows doesn't always happen. and it looks nice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

drat you mean the lesbian romance is lesbian

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

After watching the first ep, I find this very difficult to believe

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

drat you mean the lesbian romance is lesbian

Hard to mistake but than AnimeFem called the Vampire anime Yuri Like so who knows!

Wasn't even the dumbest thing in the review though

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Hard to mistake but than AnimeFem called the Vampire anime Yuri Like so who knows!

Wasn't even the dumbest thing in the review though

Have they ever reviewed anything and actually unreservedly liked it. Cause I've yet to come across any that weren't just whining.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Have they ever reviewed anything and actually unreservedly liked it. Cause I've yet to come across any that weren't just whining.

straight 90s shoujo (but not the ones with conflict)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
They like 100 Girlfriends.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

It's easy enough to find positive reviews there. For this season, the second review on the page, for Frieren, is totally positive. The first review (S-rank daughter) has some quibbles, and expresses a hope that I share (that the show doesn't devolve into something really creepy with the father and daughter - which it doesn't look to be foreshadowing, but it's anime so I can't be certain) but is also broadly positive. I don't always agree with their review, but as a viewer who wants relatively low fan service and who doesn't want my popcorn viewing to contain things like uncritical representation of slavery or rape, by and large the reviews help me avoid content that I wouldn't enjoy.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah Anifem issue isn't so much reviewing pristege anime it's more actually being able to handle the lesser known stuff or series that are dealing with messier issues

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yeah Anifem issue isn't so much reviewing pristege anime it's more actually being able to handle the lesser known stuff or series that are dealing with messier issues

Or just like, a comedy.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I haven't read AniFem in a while because their takes were starting to get too hot. Having said that, I think they've actually been a net good influence on The Discourse.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

pork never goes bad posted:

It's easy enough to find positive reviews there. For this season, the second review on the page, for Frieren, is totally positive. The first review (S-rank daughter) has some quibbles, and expresses a hope that I share (that the show doesn't devolve into something really creepy with the father and daughter - which it doesn't look to be foreshadowing, but it's anime so I can't be certain) but is also broadly positive. I don't always agree with their review, but as a viewer who wants relatively low fan service and who doesn't want my popcorn viewing to contain things like uncritical representation of slavery or rape, by and large the reviews help me avoid content that I wouldn't enjoy.

i can find shows that don't do those things, without reading anifem

Silver2195 posted:

I haven't read AniFem in a while because their takes were starting to get too hot. Having said that, I think they've actually been a net good influence on The Discourse.

anifem is barely influencing the discourse and usually they just repeat back whatever crap was making the discourse unreadable to begin with. last time i read an article from them it was praising the class s episode of flip flappers for breaking down and analyzing the tired tropes of the genre. their example of a modern class s work was hibike! euphonium. the euphonium novels had not ended yet. they, were riding the exact same online rumors about kumiko going the straight road, that everyone else was

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my advice is that if you want a low-key fantasy slice of life anime that doesn't have uncritical representations of slavery or rape, consider watching NieA_7 (2000)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pork never goes bad posted:

who doesn't want my popcorn viewing to contain things like uncritical representation of slavery or rape, by and large the reviews help me avoid content that I wouldn't enjoy.
ive literally never stumbled across that in anything ive casually turned on. what on earth are you people watching

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

anime feminist have been utterly toxic to the discourse and the fact that they were only relevant for a year at best makes me cry tears of joy. they are completely repugnant.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

ive literally never stumbled across that in anything ive casually turned on. what on earth are you people watching

Isekai, lol.

Edit: I think somebody on SA once made a great post about how people (often goons) are always saying "it was a good manga/anime/LN, then suddenly slavery!" and actually the manga/anime/LN was always bad, but people who watch that kind of isekai garbage are unable to realize that it's bad until the see the slavery apologism.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 9, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

proudly remembering when anifem referred to the characters in citrus as having 'blowjob knees' and when i said that was an unfortunate choice of words to refer to a yuri series with one of their lead writers DM'd me on twitter to call me a rape apologist and threaten to report me to police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
watching elfen lied and getting really frustrated because i thought all it would be about is an elf that lies a lot