Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Alright just got Kill Team Octarius. The important question is should I paint the guardsmen as Armageddon Steel Legion or semi-canon Great War French

Paint me like one of your French girls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

I have been working on a project.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

I like it

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Atlas Hugged posted:

Hell yeah

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Atlas Hugged posted:

Just in time for GW to announce they're reprinting Rogue Trader 1e.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I just saw that and am very excited.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Just in time for GW to announce they're reprinting Rogue Trader 1e.

Where was this announced? I never got hold of a copy back in the day, so I might see about grabbing one of the reprints when they go on sale.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Where was this announced? I never got hold of a copy back in the day, so I might see about grabbing one of the reprints when they go on sale.

on their site

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

The article seems to show when the book will stop being for sale, but is it for sale right now?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

The article seems to show when the book will stop being for sale, but is it for sale right now?

every sunday they do a roundup of things going up for order/preorder next saturday

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

mllaneza posted:

Red pants and all!

Xlorp posted:

Paint me like one of your French girls

Thought of the day: it is sweet and fitting to die for the Emperor

Really fun models to paint, though no idea how people churn out enough of them for a full 40k army lol

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Jack B Nimble posted:

Next sat.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
You paint fast. Wow.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Awesome, thanks y'all, I've read some of the RT book off of a friend's shelf but I've never owned one myself, so that's an instant buy for me assuming it's less the eBay prices for originals.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Awesome, thanks y'all, I've read some of the RT book off of a friend's shelf but I've never owned one myself, so that's an instant buy for me assuming it's less the eBay prices for originals.

I think you'll be look at Warhammer World prices, so £40 I think.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Why is the warcry starter set dogshit compared to the Kill Team one

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

E2M2 posted:

Why is the warcry starter set dogshit compared to the Kill Team one

warcry had starter boxes like the KT ones and they ended up bookending shelves in game stores. GW is still looking for a format that people will actually buy

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

SuperKlaus posted:

You paint fast. Wow.

Thanks, I was very bored Sunday lol. Couple questions about the game:
-I understand tac ops have been massively erratad, is it possible to reasonably proxy the new ones with the old deck? The replacement just has one deck, right?
-On that note, what's a good recommendation for Vet Guard/Kommandos tac ops to get a handle on learning the game?
-Are any of the Into the Dark season boxes still available or am I gonna have to shell out like $150 for just the terrain?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

StashAugustine posted:

-I understand tac ops have been massively erratad, is it possible to reasonably proxy the new ones with the old deck? The replacement just has one deck, right?
-On that note, what's a good recommendation for Vet Guard/Kommandos tac ops to get a handle on learning the game?
-Are any of the Into the Dark season boxes still available or am I gonna have to shell out like $150 for just the terrain?

The Into the Dark set is still on eBay below MSRP.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

1. These are the rule changes. (I recommend using them, they're much better.) Here are the updated cards. Here is a tool for your games.

There are also new missions but they're less radical and can just be found on Wahapedia if you want them.

There is also a new season coming, probably to be announced this week.

2. This is a question where the answer is the entire game.

Broadly, Kommandos like all of their generic Tac Ops (except Executioner and Stalk Target) and can pick either set to mix it up. New players should experiment with both Infiltrate and S&D, and avoid the Kommandos' fairly crappy faction Tac Ops. (Only Get Stuck In is reasonably doable, and it's mediocre.)

Vet Guard are in the opposite situation. Stand Fast or Glory In Death are nearly autoscore gimmes, depending on the matchup. (Remember, you can only take one faction Tac Op.) However, Security is pretty rough, since it's so predictable. The ops that require you to keep dudes alive are probably not happening, so VG players are best served getting good at winning that clusterfuck fight over the middle that always happens when swarm teams take Security.

3. They're all out of print, although you can still find copies of Kill Team ITD floating around sometimes. Again, there's a new season coming out, and at this point nobody's going to begrudge a local tournament or league for only playing on open anyway.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 9, 2023

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

Vet Guard are in the opposite situation. Stand Fast or Glory In Death are nearly autoscore gimmes, depending on the matchup. (Remember, you can only take one faction Tac Op.) However, Security is pretty rough, since it's so predictable. The ops that require you to keep dudes alive are probably not happening, so VG players are best served getting good at winning that clusterfuck fight over the middle that always happens when swarm teams take Security.

Glory in Death is nearly stone cold unplayable. You have to be winning on primary to score it, which most of the time means that you're already winning the match. I have never ever heard any VG player ever recommend taking it, ever.

VG players I have talked to/listened to, along with my own experience is to take stand fast, and then some combination of secure Centre line, seize ground, and central control.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
If you're losing on primary as VG, you're just losing. GID is once again a real pick against elite teams now that the primary cap was raised.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Cease to Hope posted:

warcry had starter boxes like the KT ones and they ended up bookending shelves in game stores. GW is still looking for a format that people will actually buy

Yeah, the FEC vs SCE box has two at my local warhammer store. Hell, in canada you can still get heart of ghur on a couple sites, jesus christ

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 10, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I got a Supa-Stompa/Gargant painted recently, model from Vanguard.

Looks like I forgot to finish the eye, oops.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Throw some Cassandra in there and call it done

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I played more MESBG, this time with Troll!

I did not win a single combat with my Troll.

It is nice to know that no matter the game, I will always, always average 1.5 on d6 rolls. I still had fun and I love this game.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Lumpy posted:

I played more MESBG, this time with Troll!

I did not win a single combat with my Troll.

It is nice to know that no matter the game, I will always, always average 1.5 on d6 rolls. I still had fun and I love this game.

Yeah its great. I love it

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

My primary gaming buddy has much less access than he used to, and we've had to limit our time spent on only our most preferred systems. What we're doing most lately is MESBG by far, some Warmaster, and some homebrewed Man O War streamlined rules.

We're both currently 4 out of 5 scenarios through the Battle Companies narrative campaign. I was feeling bad about our respective luck getting through these until I did the force composition points math. Now I am unfazed by getting really chewed up on them. Four team wipeouts out of eight games played. By quirk of how fast the end comes, we have not yet had the opportunity to voluntarily bottle in those losses.

He's got Durin's Folk. Easterlings for me. This format is a whole bunch less competitive against each other than the usual tourney-style powerlist or LotR battle recreation. Also, give them all names; it's better that way. Small unit tactical game.

A lucky Ranger hero is a thing of wonder and beauty.

Xlorp fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 10, 2023

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Yeah, the FEC vs SCE box has two at my local warhammer store. Hell, in canada you can still get heart of ghur on a couple sites, jesus christ

the last box of first-edition warcry is still available on amazon on clearance, and it is almost as old as kill team 2e

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

They really should have made it more like KT2ed. It just does not offer same level of gameplay. So far main appeal is minis and terrain with are all great and tend to be good in aos proper

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just to be certain - when you take your non-faction Tac Ops, they must all be from the same one of your team's possible archetypes, right?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Covermeinsunshine posted:

They really should have made it more like KT2ed. It just does not offer same level of gameplay. So far main appeal is minis and terrain with are all great and tend to be good in aos proper

the yahtzee activations are fun in a beer and pretzels way and i do love all of the weird unique chaos cultists they had

just, y'know, not enough to drop $200 on it.

SuperKlaus posted:

Just to be certain - when you take your non-faction Tac Ops, they must all be from the same one of your team's possible archetypes, right?

yep

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Covermeinsunshine posted:

I also really like the alternate takes on mainstream guys. Loved the nurgle bog men. Just not enough to buy it.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I would be sad if they changed Warcry. It really is one of the best beer & pretzels mini games there is, and one that has absolutely amazing minis.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

also quick question is there a good mod/collection for epic armageddon on TTS

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lumpy posted:

I would be sad if they changed Warcry. It really is one of the best beer & pretzels mini games there is, and one that has absolutely amazing minis.

It seems like the main change is trying to find a format where people will buy it.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I have a Warcry band (Spire Tyrants) and a monster (Fomoroid Crusher) as part of my AoS army, and they're cool, I would like to try the game. But can I just say it really irks me that the leader and boss types in the warbands are physically a different scale to their subordinates. Like twice the mass, and on proportionally bigger bases. I don't know why but I find it insanely annoying.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Genghis Cohen posted:

I have a Warcry band (Spire Tyrants) and a monster (Fomoroid Crusher) as part of my AoS army, and they're cool, I would like to try the game. But can I just say it really irks me that the leader and boss types in the warbands are physically a different scale to their subordinates. Like twice the mass, and on proportionally bigger bases. I don't know why but I find it insanely annoying.

They're Chaos champions. Chaos makes you big, it's a rule.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Cease to Hope posted:

It seems like the main change is trying to find a format where people will buy it.

Other than rename it to "Warhammer 40,000" ? I think they've been trying to figure that out for all their games for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lumpy posted:

Other than rename it to "Warhammer 40,000" ? I think they've been trying to figure that out for all their games for a while now.

Underworlds is fairly successful.

It may just be a matter of too many lines, though.