Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Electric Wrigglies posted:

China is creating artificial islands in the South China Sea and putting quite substantial bases on them with runways, ports, repair infrastructure, etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/21/china-has-fully-militarized-three-islands-in-south-china-sea-us-admiral-says

Yeah, I got what you meant by China, it was more the title of Blacklantis that caught my eye. Absolutely sounds like a film from the 70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

CW: T-90 with visible crew members gets absolutely obliterated by ... something

Seriously, don't watch this if you don't want to see three tankers almost certainly killed.

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1711061120826433557

BUT, anyone who is willing to watch and would know; what the hell could cause that? A hit from another tank? A mine? Javelin?

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Moon Slayer posted:

Seriously, don't watch this if you don't want to see three tankers almost certainly killed.

BUT, anyone who is willing to watch and would know; what the hell could cause that? A hit from another tank? A mine? Javelin?

Evaporated is correct. Wow.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
At a guess the biggest visible factor there is an ammo cookoff.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Moon Slayer posted:

ATGM (Javelin likely) see quote below

edit: here is a single frame where you can see it before impact

:nws: https://i.imgur.com/lIqsX4g.jpg :nws:

Tuna-Fish posted:

I think the flight path looks more like a TOW or a NLAW.

(Javelin and NLAW are both top-attack missiles, but work very differently. Javelin flies in an arc and comes down from above. NLAW flies straight over the target at distance of a meter or so, and fires a shaped charge downwards while it passes over it. This missile is coming too straight on to be a Javelin, imho.)

mannerup fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 9, 2023

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Maybe ammo explosion. The entire turret blew up. I don't think Russian tanks in this war are known as being particularly sturdy? Edit: beaten.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Maybe ammo explosion. The entire turret blew up. I don't think Russian tanks in this war are known as being particularly sturdy? Edit: beaten.

Note that this is the T-90*M*, which has a brand new turret that's supposed to be better at that handling these...

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Javelins come at the target from the top, right? I wonder if it didn't just drop straight down an open hatch.

e:

mannerup posted:

or maybe not

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

Bloody hell. :stare:

Other than the smoky exhaust there i saw no sign of an internal fire, there was nothing... then there was even less, quick for the crew.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Javelins can switch between top attack and direct attack, but there's no shortage of ATGM in Ukraine. Stugna, Javelin... and then there's the good ol' APFSDS that will turn into a fiery inferno inside the tank as well. No way of knowing what happened there from some pixelated still frames without getting a wide view.

It's interesting that the commander appears to be outside. You'd think he'd be buttoned up while actively shooting…

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Javelins can be used in either direct-fire mode or top-down attack mode. Good eyes to whomever spotted it in that frame. Note that it's a tandem warhead munition, too: the first shaped charge gets past reactive armor, etc. The second penetrates the hull. That liquid copper rod formed by the shaped charge probably caused the internal ammunition supply to detonate catastrophically.

Antigravitas posted:

Javelins can switch between top attack and direct attack, but there's no shortage of ATGM in Ukraine. Stugna, Javelin... and then there's the good ol' APFSDS that will turn into a fiery inferno inside the tank as well. No way of knowing what happened there from some pixelated still frames without getting a wide view.

It's interesting that the commander appears to be outside. You'd think he'd be buttoned up while actively shooting…

You have significantly better visibility when you pop your head out of the hatch. It's a trade-off of situational awareness and protection. The situation dictates which is less risky. (Spoiler: there is no no-risk option.)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Electric Wrigglies posted:

China is creating artificial islands in the South China Sea and putting quite substantial bases on them with runways, ports, repair infrastructure, etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/21/china-has-fully-militarized-three-islands-in-south-china-sea-us-admiral-says

you can tell where their military installations are because they've always got tons of basketball courts:

this is from mischief reef sited in the article

this is from paracel islands reef north west of it:

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

mannerup posted:

ATGM (Javelin likely)

(Javelin and NLAW are both top-attack missiles, but work very differently. Javelin flies in an arc and comes down from above. NLAW flies straight over the target at distance of a meter or so, and fires a shaped charge downwards while it passes over it. This missile is coming too straight on to be a Javelin, imho.)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

You have significantly better visibility when you pop your head out of the hatch. It's a trade-off of situational awareness and protection. The situation dictates which is less risky. (Spoiler: there is no no-risk option.)

We were told similar things with Strykers. The gunner inside can’t look every direction at once, but 3 more sets of eyeballs (all of which had some kind of optics) could help direct the vehicle gunner’s attention.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

notwithoutmyanus posted:

It it goes bang and vanishes, it was high explosive ammunition getting hit. If you see a jet of fire suddenly erupt out of the hatches (sometimes followed by a bang) it was the propellant getting hit. If you see it just casually sitting there with a bit of smoke coming out of it and eventually some normal looking fire, the fuel caught fire.

The T-90M still uses the same autoloader as the T-72. This means the ammunition and propellant is stored throughout much of the center-mass cross-section of the vehicle, directly underneath where the crew is sitting. Ammunition is stored in a ring along the bottom of the carousel (and tank), with a propellant charge stored just above each one. The side of the tank has less than 100mm of solid steel armor, in this case with an additional rubber skirt with ERA bricks stacked on it hanging in front of the armor. Something like TOW or Javelin could be expected to blast a hole in well over 600mm of similar steel armor. The Explosive Reactive Armor adds a bit of protection, but with such thin armor behind it there's only so much it can do even without considering you can get the ERA to literally throw itself out of the way by setting it off early with a tandem warhead (think smaller explosive warhead stuck to a pole on the front of the primary warhead).

In this case the jet of superheated metal from the HEAT warhead probably hit one of the High Explosive rounds in the autoloader, causing that shell to explode and likely setting off a few more HE rounds stored next to it in the process.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 9, 2023

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
GG not kidding about the tank getting obliterated.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Tuna-Fish posted:

you're right, thanks for the info

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Moon Slayer posted:

A bit optimistic I feel. Everyone in that tank turned into a physics problem milliseconds after that projectile hit.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Apparently this narrative has grown from random Americans with brains ravaged by multiple covid hospitalisations to Mr Concerning

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1711332349210661185?t=AwUvABjpWPDawNLQJhpS1g&s=19

And I don't get what is the point they are making? That the war is not entertaining with POV FPS trench clears anymore? That it is a psyop now and nobody is fighting actually?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Other people claim to exist, and yet they all disappear when I close my eyes

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
Yes, they are trying to sow doubt on the existence of fighting in Ukraine, and more generally the idea of Ukrainian resistance to Russian aggression, so they can cut funding and support and let Russia win.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Remethat the goal of disinformation is not to make you believe a specific thing, but to make you doubt everything.

Fascism is ultimately a nihilistic philosophy, and so it inevitably comes to believe in whatever it wants at that moment. Its final conclusion is that "nothing matters", and thus it's counsel is not actually strength, as it likes to pretend, but only despair.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I will never understand that. Even Russia routinely confirms that intense fighting continues. Is Russia also in the pocket of Democrats? It's even dumber than flat Earth.

d64
Jan 15, 2003
I think it's deliberately vague what the point is. It's just "asking questions" and making unsure people feel like something "is off" about the issue. People will fill in their specific angle and take themselves.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Other people claim to exist, and yet they all disappear when I close my eyes

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Warbadger posted:

It it goes bang and vanishes, it was high explosive ammunition getting hit. If you see a jet of fire suddenly erupt out of the hatches (sometimes followed by a bang) it was the propellant getting hit. If you see it just casually sitting there with a bit of smoke coming out of it and eventually some normal looking fire, the fuel caught fire.

The T-90M still uses the same autoloader as the T-72. This means the ammunition and propellant is stored throughout much of the center-mass cross-section of the vehicle, directly underneath where the crew is sitting. Ammunition is stored in a ring along the bottom of the carousel (and tank), with a propellant charge stored just above each one. The side of the tank has less than 100mm of solid steel armor, in this case with an additional rubber skirt with ERA bricks stacked on it hanging in front of the armor. Something like TOW or Javelin could be expected to blast a hole in well over 600mm of similar steel armor. The Explosive Reactive Armor adds a bit of protection, but with such thin armor behind it there's only so much it can do even without considering you can get the ERA to literally throw itself out of the way by setting it off early with a tandem warhead (think smaller explosive warhead stuck to a pole on the front of the primary warhead).

In this case the jet of superheated metal from the HEAT warhead probably hit one of the High Explosive rounds in the autoloader, causing that shell to explode and likely setting off a few more HE rounds stored next to it in the process.

To add on to what you're saying, here's what the storage/autoloader looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu7ZEJkKoV8

There's no protective shield between the crew and ammo. I remember being shocked and pretty nauseous when I first sat in a T-72 and just saw the empty ammo storage grooves just sitting there, as I operated in an Abrams where all of the ammo was kept in secure storage bins. The T-64/T-80 and T-72 use different autoloader designs from one another, but they're effectively similar in this regard. Anything that penetrates the cabin has a really high chance of cooking the ammo and killing the crew. No tank in the world is safe from catastrophic cookoffs, but plenty of tanks are designed to protect the crew from cookoffs as much as possible. You also wouldn't need to hit an HE round in the T-tank as they use two-piece ammunition with the propellant charges sticking out in the open, but an HE round would just instantly erupt like in that video.

Autoloader designs aren't necessarily awful as a rule in this regard. The French Leclerc has a different autoloader design that keeps ammo in a more secure space. The Israeli Merkava has a "semi-autoloading" system that feeds rounds to a human loader to improve crew safety as well.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

fatherboxx posted:

Apparently this narrative has grown from random Americans with brains ravaged by multiple covid hospitalisations to Mr Concerning

[url]https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1711332349210661185?t=AwUvABjpWPDawNLQJhpS1g&s=19[url]

And I don't get what is the point they are making? That the war is not entertaining with POV FPS trench clears anymore? That it is a psyop now and nobody is fighting actually?

"We're giving money away to the corrupt Ukrainians who aren't even using it for war like they promised." basically.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1711332349210661185?t=AwUvABjpWPDawNLQJhpS1g&s=19

Considering how much Musk was involved with micromanaging Starlink availability on the front and talking with Putin, I think this might just be trolling(or whatever passes for trolling in boomer humor).

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

ummel posted:

"We're giving money away to the corrupt Ukrainians who aren't even using it for war like they promised." basically.

AFU can indulge him personally with photos of results of cluster munition and M30A1 strikes if he desires

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

To add on to what you're saying, here's what the storage/autoloader looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu7ZEJkKoV8

There's no protective shield between the crew and ammo. I remember being shocked and pretty nauseous when I first sat in a T-72 and just saw the empty ammo storage grooves just sitting there, as I operated in an Abrams where all of the ammo was kept in secure storage bins. The T-64/T-80 and T-72 use different autoloader designs from one another, but they're effectively similar in this regard. Anything that penetrates the cabin has a really high chance of cooking the ammo and killing the crew. No tank in the world is safe from catastrophic cookoffs, but plenty of tanks are designed to protect the crew from cookoffs as much as possible. You also wouldn't need to hit an HE round in the T-tank as they use two-piece ammunition with the propellant charges sticking out in the open, but an HE round would just instantly erupt like in that video.

Autoloader designs aren't necessarily awful as a rule in this regard. The French Leclerc has a different autoloader design that keeps ammo in a more secure space. The Israeli Merkava has a "semi-autoloading" system that feeds rounds to a human loader to improve crew safety as well.

Right, it's not the fact that it's "an autoloader", it's that the specific chassis used by the T-64/T-72 as designed in the 1950-60's and all their descendants (T-80/90/ZTZ-96/ZTZ-99/etc.) are designed explicitly around these specific T-64/T-72 autoloaders. There is no space available in the chassis to move this around, make any significant changes to how it works, or to add any additional armor around it. It will remain this way until they design an actual new tank and an actual new autoloader.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 9, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Warbadger posted:

Right, it's not the fact that it's "an autoloader", it's that the specific chassis used by the T-64/T-72 as designed in the 1950-60's and all their descendants (T-80/90/ZTZ-96/ZTZ-99/etc.) are designed explicitly around these specific T-64/T-72 autoloaders. There is no space available in the chassis to move this around, make any significant changes to how it works, or to add any additional armor around it. It will remain this way until they design an actual new tank and an actual new autoloader.

Not a single T-14 Armata crew member has been killed by ammo explosion in Ukraine, so it looks like Russia has finally designed a safe tank!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

fatherboxx posted:

A common propaganda line is that the war is going so badly and Ukraine is losing so many lives and territory that they have to hush it up. Not showing any fighting is a tacit admission that Ukraine is losing thousands of troops a day and the only sane position is to capitulate immediately.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I was wondering if it’s this ^^^ and also that “globalists” control the media.

Cutting both ways! So clever!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

A Russian major having a particularly bad day.

(cw: guy is wounded and disorientated but there isn't any gore)

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1711395147387158649

Full text of tweet:

quote:

Fighters of the Ukrainian 3rd Assault Brigade took into capture a Russian officer in the rank of Major, a commander of the Alga battalion belonging to the 72nd Brigade. The video was published on their Telegram channel (subtitles added).

It's a bit difficult to judge what exactly happened from the video, but probably the Russian battalion was unexpectedly attacked, which resulted in many casualties (by the Major's admission).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PainterofCrap posted:

I was wondering if it’s this ^^^ and also that “globalists” control the media.

Cutting both ways! So clever!

I just assumed it was the usual "Jews control the media" nonsense.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

One of my girlfriend's good friends has a batshit insane aunt who fell deep into all the conspiracies around COVID, tried to join the far right Ottawa trucker occupation thing, all that jazz.

Anyway said crazy aunt's line since last year based on social media she consumes has been that the entire Ukraine-Russia war itself is fake. Like it's not real and all footage is computer generated in order to both trick the sheeple into thinking that Russia is bad and also specifically to launder all COVID vaccine deaths that she claims were covered up by "those people" .

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

fatherboxx posted:

the gently caress do they mean, internet is chock full of combat footage from Ukraine?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Szarrukin posted:

the gently caress do they mean, internet is chock full of combat footage from Ukraine?

It’s like how they ask why Muslims aren’t condemning extremists : yes they obviously are, but that would ruin their point so they never, ever look.

It’s a lot easier to say something doesn’t exist if you ignore it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Never mind that, all the news channels were non-stop Ukraine war footage for like the first month or so of the war. But yeah, the point is to make people doubt what they remember seeing. Trump and Musk both posted the exact same text too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Ynglaur posted:

Remethat the goal of disinformation is not to make you believe a specific thing, but to make you doubt everything.

Fascism is ultimately a nihilistic philosophy, and so it inevitably comes to believe in whatever it wants at that moment. Its final conclusion is that "nothing matters", and thus it's counsel is not actually strength, as it likes to pretend, but only despair.

This is also one of the ways that far-right propaganda is effective even against people who aren't right-wingers themselves. You might get the occasional outlier like the "Qanon is basically real other than Trump wanting to save us from the adenochrome eaters" types but mostly you just need people to absorb the doubt and despair even if they still reject the details.