Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Maybe try turning battery optimization off for the Gmail app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Is your system storage full (or near full)? Sync tends to go screwy when there's little to no storage space left.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Maybe try turning battery optimization off for the Gmail app?

This worked. I think.

Set it to unrestricted and now some test emails got through right away even when the app isn't open.

No idea what I did to have it so screwy in optimised mode though. My Outlook app stays optimised and alerts me to new mail without issue. Guess I'll just have to take the hopefully tiny battery life hit leaving it unrestricted.

Thanks!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Bright Bart posted:

This worked. I think.

Set it to unrestricted and now some test emails got through right away even when the app isn't open.

No idea what I did to have it so screwy in optimised mode though. My Outlook app stays optimised and alerts me to new mail without issue. Guess I'll just have to take the hopefully tiny battery life hit leaving it unrestricted.

Thanks!

Samsung automatically sticks apps in deep sleep mode. You have to remove the app from the deep sleep list so it can work in the background.

See: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00088422/

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Nalin posted:

Samsung automatically sticks apps in deep sleep mode. You have to remove the app from the deep sleep list so it can work in the background.

See: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00088422/

It is in Never Sleeping. But it was, too.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

pretty sure apps only get put into deep sleep automatically if you never open them, which is unlikely for your main email client

it's there for people who install hundreds of apps they never actually use

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Got great battery life on my Pixel 7 today, I reset to factory settings a few days after Android 14 dropped as I was getting a lot of UI stuttering. Can't compare it directly to Android 13 since it didn't have the screen on time since last full charge metric.

Hopefully the battery lasts a lot longer in work tomorrow when I'll be in 5G.

Any idea why YouTube has so much background activity? I have it restricted under App battery usage.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Got great battery life on my Pixel 7 today, I reset to factory settings a few days after Android 14 dropped as I was getting a lot of UI stuttering. Can't compare it directly to Android 13 since it didn't have the screen on time since last full charge metric.

Hopefully the battery lasts a lot longer in work tomorrow when I'll be in 5G.

Any idea why YouTube has so much background activity? I have it restricted under App battery usage.

I was just thinking yesterday my Pixel 7 Pro was getting unusually good battery life but I attributed it to trying out Firefox with adblock as opposed to stock Chrome.

3hrs25min Screen-On time today and just hit 69% (nice).

Edit: Also YouTube almost always seems to show some ridiculous background time even if I watch like 20 minutes of video during the day.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
drat they updated my pixel 8 pro and watch 2 ship dates from October 13th to fuckin November 13th :qq:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

hark posted:

drat they updated my pixel 8 pro and watch 2 ship dates from October 13th to fuckin November 13th :qq:

Did you order right when it went live or wait until the end of the event?

If you're not right on top of it, you may have missed the first batch

Just checked mine and the estimated delivery shows the 12th so far.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

AlexDeGruven posted:

Did you order right when it went live or wait until the end of the event?

If you're not right on top of it, you may have missed the first batch

Just checked mine and the estimated delivery shows the 12th so far.

I thought I was on time, since it originally said earlier. but it's later as of today.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I saw a Samsung s23 in person and gently caress, it's the perfect size... I'm half tempted to cancel my pixel 8 order because it's so tiny

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I saw a Samsung s23 in person and gently caress, it's the perfect size... I'm half tempted to cancel my pixel 8 order because it's so tiny

Aren't they like...the same size?

Edit: The Pixel is 4.3mm taller which seems insignificant to me personally, but the camera bar does stick out more.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Oct 9, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Mental Hospitality posted:

Aren't they like...the same size?

Edit: The Pixel is 4.3mm taller which seems insignificant to me personally, but the camera bar does stick out more.

I don't want to fiddle around with gsmarena from my mobile browser but it could be quite a bit smaller.

My S21 was tiny when I bought it. But it looks like a regular big ol' phone compared to the S23 and it's a 0.1" difference in screen.

e: nvm the Pixel 8 is also 6.1"

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 9, 2023

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Pixel 8 in blue, Galaxy S23 in red.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It was more of, it's such a drastic change in size for the phone. it was fairly easy to thumb.

I use my thumb for everything and grumble when i have to two hand my phone. The only reason I originally got the XL was for the battery size.

Now that I'm comparing the two, there isn't a huge difference between the pixel 8 and the s23, but the only pixel 8 that was at best buy on display was the pro....which is bigger than the too big 4XL. So maybe it's fine. I wanted a smaller phone regardless.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I'm just a Samsung guy.

I don't even laugh at the Apple folks. I am just as much in a cult. Only mine is dedicated to a faceless chaebol instead of a deceased guy who liked turtlenecks.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

speaking of samsung, apparently the S24 is going back to exynos in europe and only the US is getting the SD8gen3

snapdragon everywhere was too good to last

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think the SD8 Gen 3 may be...interesting.

There's all kinds of wild rumors running about. Some point to it being 3nm, some point to it being 4nm, some even point to a Samsung foundry manufactured part and some say TSMC.

Maybe it's all of them. Maybe there will be 3nm SD8 Gen 3 models produced by TSMC, maybe there will be 4nm ones produced by Samsung Systems LSI, maybe some of the rumors are wrong, who really knows.

What we do know is that TSMC's 3nm yields are abysmal. Like really bad. Since the yields are so bad and Apple has bought up nearly all the production capacity, there likely isn't much production capacity left for a 3nm SD8 Gen 3. This has likely lead to some 11th hour plan changes for multiple companies.

It may very well be that TSMC can't deliver a 3nm SD8 Gen 3 until later in 2024 so Qualcomm fell back on Samsung LSI to manufacture 4nm SD8 Gen 3 alongside Exynos 2400s. But then there's also a rumor that Samsung is going to start producting SD8 Gen 3 models on THEIR 3nm process later this year. So maybe the 4nm parts are produced by TSMC.

I think one thing that enthusiasts have to get into their heads though is that Qualcomm doesn't care where their poo poo is made as long as there's enough to ship to all their customers. The common narrative is that Qualcomm moved to TSMC due to efficiency concerns, but it's just a narrative. As long as the new design hits their performance goals in a reference device with a hand picked chip, that's all they care about. Otherwise, thermals and battery are a thing for the phone maker to solve. Qualcomm moved to TSMC becuase Samsung's 4nm yields were low and they couldn't supply them with enough functioning chips. Samsung's 4nm yields on their newest process refinement are on par with TSMC now, so it's possible (and honestly likely) that they'll move production back for at least some stuff (i mean, they never left for some of their chips.)

I will laugh like CRAZY though if the S24U ends up having a Samsung LSI SD8 Gen 3 in it because of all the collective head implosions.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 9, 2023

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

I will laugh like CRAZY though if the S24U ends up having a Samsung LSI SD8 Gen 3 in it because of all the collective head implosions.

Do you expect a fully custom Google chip by the Pixel 10 or later?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I've noticed several threads on the Pixel subreddit from P6/7 owners claiming their phones are running cooler with longer battery life since Android 14. I'd still like to see some empirical evidence to such claims though. I feel like I've been getting home at the end of the day with maybe 10-15% more charge but that could very well be based on a multitude of factors.

https://www.androidpolice.com/android-14-fixes-heat-battery-issues-pixel-7-6-report/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Incessant Excess posted:

Do you expect a fully custom Google chip by the Pixel 10 or later?

I don't even know how to define that to tell you the truth because there's a few different interpretations.

Is it when Google does the full tape-out in house without outside design expertise? If so, how will we know when that happens without comparing SoCs under microscopes? Everyone keeps saying that the Tensor G3 is just the cancelled Exynos 2300, but that oversimplifes things. It doesn't have the same GPU that the 2300 would have had, it also has all custom ISPs. So, even if the 4+4+1 design of the general compute cluster is lifted from the 2300, can we really call it a 2300 if only like 1/3rd of the die is shared?

Is it when Google stops using reference ARM processors? If that's the case, are we saying that Qualcomm doesn't have a fully custom design since they are using off the shelf ARM parts as the man processing cores (only sometimes making semi-custom ARM cores) or are we saying that having a full in house GPU is enough to meet that definition?

if Google goes full custom ARM designs but uses a Mali GPU, is that a fully custom chip?

If Google offloads all main smartphone tasks to ISPs on the die and keeps a few reference cores around to run 3rd party apps, is that fully custom?

Is the definition no reliance on ouside chip design, can we even say Apple is fully custom then since they rely on Qualcomm for a modem?

One could argue that its moot now since the major hurdle is surmounted (long term update plan.)

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

One could argue that its moot now since the major hurdle is surmounted (long term update plan.)

Hmm, complex subject, thanks for laying it out tho.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Mental Hospitality posted:

I've noticed several threads on the Pixel subreddit from P6/7 owners claiming their phones are running cooler with longer battery life since Android 14. I'd still like to see some empirical evidence to such claims though. I feel like I've been getting home at the end of the day with maybe 10-15% more charge but that could very well be based on a multitude of factors.

https://www.androidpolice.com/android-14-fixes-heat-battery-issues-pixel-7-6-report/

That's just confirmation bias and stuff like that gets posted every single update. Phones would be pushing 24h SoT if it were true.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

BabyFur Denny posted:

That's just confirmation bias and stuff like that gets posted every single update. Phones would be pushing 24h SoT if it were true.

I thought last year Pixel 6 owners were saying their phones were running hotter and getting worse battery life after A13. Maybe I'm misremembering, you are probably right though. Google didn't seem to stress any sort of background battery life improvements with A14 that I know of, and if it was significant they'd probably have mentioned that.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 9, 2023

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Gonna cross post this from the wear os thread since that thread is dead apparently. Or maybe my questions are dumb.

After further messing around with the blood pressure I'm more certain it's a gimmick. I just got off my exercise bike and it still shows my blood pressure right where the calibration was. What is even the point of putting it in the watch. Or am I doing something really wrong with it?

Resdfru posted:

Does Samsung still have reactivation lock or did that get lost when they switched to wear os? Had it on my active 2 and it seems useful but I can't find it anywhere on my new galaxy watch 6. Google just leads me to outdated instructions and people trying to disable it

So I did the stuff to unlock blood pressure monitoring in the US and its effectively useless? Unless I'm doing something wrong it just seems to give me numbers around whatever I got in my last calibration, and my blood pressure cuff shows a much different number. unless I'm supposed to do something its not telling me I can see why it doesn't have FDA approval, its more than useless, its dangerous.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, it's not dead, it's just none of us have bothered with blood pressure stuff so not one to respond to you. Blood pressure is such a finicky metric, no wrist based wearable is going to provide anything close to anything really all that useful since you have to be very purposeful when taking blood pressure.

Also, who knows if it's even actually working right if you have to take steps to enable it in the US.

To my knowledge, WearOS doesn't have any sort of Activation Lock.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Thanks. Good points. I guess no way to know if the steps to enable in the US change the way it works outside of the US. To be clear I never expected it to match the accuracy of a device made for blood pressure but it doesn't actually seem to measure since it gives the same reading whether I take it in the morning or 5 seconds after doing a bunch of cardio.

Thanks for the activation lock info.

I meant dead in both that no one responded but also this thread get a ton of posts and that one doesn't (not just replies to me)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The WearOS thread is slower, I think, partly because a lot fewer people have WearOS devices than Android devices. Also, there is just less news about and fewer updates for WearOS than for Android, so there is just less to drive conversation.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I found there's a fair few threads like that; sometimes years pass between sincere posts

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Looks like Ultra HDR will debut on the Pixel 8 phones: https://www.androidpolice.com/android-14-ultra-hdr-hands-on/

There are some example photos here, note that right now on Android only Chrome will display them properly: https://github.com/MishaalRahmanGH/Ultra_HDR_Samples

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Touched a tethered Pixel 8 pro at Best Buy today. Form factor seems fine (same size as Pixel 7 with a Spigen case), but i could not actually hold it properly due to the tether.

I could not figure out how to switch to pro controls on the camera app. Also, switching from the default video mode would crash the camera app back to desktop.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

BabyFur Denny posted:

Although I couldn't do a definite like-for-like comparison, my screen on time is definitely better than on Android 13 in the house on WiFi.

Battery life still sucks at work though.

That's 13 hours on battery.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Mr. Mercury posted:

I found there's a fair few threads like that; sometimes years pass between sincere posts
I find myself talking to myself in many threads lol. WearOS is one of them.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Shipped notification just came in. Hell yes. Now I just need to wait for FedEx to not gently caress up.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I ordered the watch a few days after the phone order and now they're showing the same date range of next week aaaaaaa

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

What the gently caress T Mobile why doesn't my Pixel 7 have 14 yet?!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Kirios posted:

What the gently caress T Mobile why doesn't my Pixel 7 have 14 yet?!

It's evidently become their MO.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

hark posted:

whew! just got done with a customer service chat, and apparently that shipping date update was an error and they are actually sending it out on the 13th. we'll see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
GrapheneOS has had 14 available for a few days now. This ROM is awesome.