Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Xyven posted:

We haven't gotten any quotes, but public pricing for adjustable walls is painful.

I'm really thinking just suck it up (and bribe a friend with carpentry skills to help me out).

These pads look semi-reasonable, instead of cutting and gluing together your own layers like the foam factory.
https://www.ucsspirit.com/products/climbing-bouldering/climbing-bouldering-accessories/222-series-fat-pads-non-folding. I haven't asked what the shipping is going to be though!

Kilter said they now only partner with lemur because in the past they had so many issues with missing pieces/incorrectly drilled holes. I dug into it online and it seems like the old, much cheaper but apparently meh option was onsite. Completely different design, just bolting into the wall and the top supported by a cable or 2.

These diy plans seem popular, still looking around for something else though - https://www.etsy.com/ClimberDad/listing/1326857382/1-day-build-climbing-wall-self Not in love with just depending on the straps to hold the thing up, although completely freestanding and semi-mobile is pretty cool.

Something like the onsite with the kicker bolted into the wall and two winches holding the top *seems* pretty simple. Maybe add some more backup lines, and gotta make sure the bottom of the wall is well secured to the kicker! But I'd like to see some plans from someone who did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Baddog posted:

I'm really thinking just suck it up (and bribe a friend with carpentry skills to help me out).

These pads look semi-reasonable, instead of cutting and gluing together your own layers like the foam factory.
https://www.ucsspirit.com/products/climbing-bouldering/climbing-bouldering-accessories/222-series-fat-pads-non-folding. I haven't asked what the shipping is going to be though!

Kilter said they now only partner with lemur because in the past they had so many issues with missing pieces/incorrectly drilled holes. I dug into it online and it seems like the old, much cheaper but apparently meh option was onsite. Completely different design, just bolting into the wall and the top supported by a cable or 2.

These diy plans seem popular, still looking around for something else though - https://www.etsy.com/ClimberDad/listing/1326857382/1-day-build-climbing-wall-self Not in love with just depending on the straps to hold the thing up, although completely freestanding and semi-mobile is pretty cool.

Something like the onsite with the kicker bolted into the wall and two winches holding the top *seems* pretty simple. Maybe add some more backup lines, and gotta make sure the bottom of the wall is well secured to the kicker! But I'd like to see some plans from someone who did it.

oh wow. those plans look almost exactly like what i'm looking for. im also planning on building a basement wall.

i don't see anything particularly wrong with using straps for tensioning. we used to use loaded nylon webbing for safety structures all the time where i used to work (designing lifting & fall protection equipment). i don't see much difference here

alternatively, just from pics, it looks like it would be trivial to replace the straps with a solid member anyway

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 3, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

oh wow. those plans look almost exactly like what i'm looking for. im also planning on building a basement wall.

i don't see anything particularly wrong with using straps for tensioning. we used to use loaded nylon webbing for safety structures all the time where i used to work (designing lifting & fall protection equipment). i don't see much difference here

alternatively, just from pics, it looks like it would be trivial to replace the straps with a solid member anyway

I guess if you still want it adjustable with some solid supports along the floor, could drill holes at the angles you want and put a locking pin through. Use the straps to ease it down.

Sigmund Fraud posted:

Why not just a Moon board? It's way cheaper but perhaps not as sexy. Add a chain winch to make it adjustable. You can use the OG 2016 holds if you feel strong otherwise another layout. You don't NEED the fancy lights or app integration.

They've got a how-to guide online.

This one page thing is kinda sparse! https://www.moonboard.com/Content/Information/How-to-build-a-MoonBoard.pdf

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Has anyone climbed at Devil’s Head, CO? I got the guidebook for it and it sounds like an awesome area, but wanted to see if anyone has first hand experience.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Slow News Day posted:

Has anyone climbed at Devil’s Head, CO? I got the guidebook for it and it sounds like an awesome area, but wanted to see if anyone has first hand experience.

I have mixed feelings on it. Are you looking sport or trad? The area is very pretty and there are fun climbs and tons of choss. I haven't been up there in probably 5 years though. It felt like there was a lot of bush whacking back then.

It is totally worth going for some visits if you are in the area though.

E: Looking at my ticks on mountain project I gave most everything 1-2 stars. Wishbone Dihedral was my only 4 star climb on the list. It was very good. I also liked mini-splitter and upperdeck-n-spackle.

Looks like the last time I was there was 2017... drat.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 4, 2023

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

I’ve been there twice, I climbed Time Warp and The Buzz That Was and thought they were both great, was less impressed by some other routes there. Not very busy either time which was nice.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Planning a trip to the Denver area in early November (weather permitting) and it’s one of the places I’m considering. The other is Eldorado Canyon.

Sport only this time around. Lost my trad rack and can’t replace it for a while.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Slow News Day posted:

Planning a trip to the Denver area in early November (weather permitting) and it’s one of the places I’m considering. The other is Eldorado Canyon.

Sport only this time around. Lost my trad rack and can’t replace it for a while.

sport only and eldo?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I like devils head a lot, and rampart range road closes for the winter on or before Dec 1 depending on snowfall. You should call the ranger station before heading out.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/psicc/recarea/?recid=12927

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sport only. Devil's Head if the road is open, clear Creek, Boulder canyon. They all have 5 star routes so you can be picky. If you want to feel good about your climbing grade for sure clear Creek.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Does anyone (^^) know where around Boulder I can set up some top ropes? I don't have gear so it'd have to be slings or fixed anchors with a walk on/off

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Happiness Commando posted:

Does anyone (^^) know where around Boulder I can set up some top ropes? I don't have gear so it'd have to be slings or fixed anchors with a walk on/off

What grades are you looking for?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

It never ceases to amaze me how much more beat I feel after like 3 outdoor climbs vs like 30 in a gym

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Slimy Hog posted:

What grades are you looking for?

Eh. 5.easy through 10s I guess?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Baddog posted:

Onsite quote was 2800 for the 10x10 frame with just chains (another 800 for an electric winch setup). And THEN 2200 for shipping. I know its coming from canada, but drat. So 5K for a pretty bare bones setup. Almost 6K with the nice electric.

Lumber prices have come down, right?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Happiness Commando posted:

Eh. 5.easy through 10s I guess?

Off the top of my head you can hike up the back of Nip and Tuck and Elephant buttresses (if you make anchors off a tree) in bocan

Anything on table mountain can be hiked up to but it's not great climbing, has short walls, can get busy + hot.

I know there's a couple 5.9s in lumpy you can set up trs on but I've never climbed them

Try searching the MP forums for front range top rope?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I'm continuing to go to that difficult wall you can solo and it is excellent training. Sessions are quick because it's hard, but my finger strength is increasing fast without me doing anything to my pulleys because there's far less crimping (though not none). My footwork and body positioning needs to be absolutely ace and I've made significant progress actually implementing three points of contact and straight arms and deadpointing, since I can't rely on my strength the way I can when I pull plastic in the gym. I've strung together about 15 meters combined on some points of the traverse. It will likely take me very much longer to get the route, and it is 3 grades beyond my ability, but it's way more fun than any artificial gym I've been in.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Slimy Hog posted:

Try searching the MP forums for front range top rope?

I've never tried searching the forums. Thats a decent idea. Searching the region isn't great cause even if you untick trad and sport and only tick TR, the results are full of trad/TR routes

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Squamish is very nice and for some reason nobody was there this weekend

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

weather's poo poo so i went to the climbing gym instead of the superhard traverse on real rock. flashed two routes above my previous PR grade L M A O.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've been climbing like absolute rear end at the gym lately and it's making me real sad :(

I think I should see a doctor, I've developed this weird bump on the knuckle of my index finger and have slightly limited ROM in it. Zero pain, don't think that's a contributing factor for my poor climbing but it just generally makes me go "Hmmm" every time I think about it. But I don't want to take time off climbing for whatever it is :(

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Sab669 posted:

I've been climbing like absolute rear end at the gym lately and it's making me real sad :(

I think I should see a doctor, I've developed this weird bump on the knuckle of my index finger and have slightly limited ROM in it. Zero pain, don't think that's a contributing factor for my poor climbing but it just generally makes me go "Hmmm" every time I think about it. But I don't want to take time off climbing for whatever it is :(

Bone spur? No pain at all though huh.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

If there's pain, it's definitely a 1. Doesn't feel any different than if I squeeze any of my other fingers. But looking at Google Images for bonen spurs, doesn't look dissimilar from my own finger :thunk:

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

We ended up going with Revival Climbing for an 8'x12' 45⁰ fixed angle wall, ended up costing around 8k for the frame and shipping. Now I just need to wait two months for it to get here.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Xyven posted:

We ended up going with Revival Climbing for an 8'x12' 45⁰ fixed angle wall, ended up costing around 8k for the frame and shipping. Now I just need to wait two months for it to get here.

Nice, that's a good looking wall!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Sport only. Devil's Head if the road is open, clear Creek, Boulder canyon. They all have 5 star routes so you can be picky. If you want to feel good about your climbing grade for sure clear Creek.

Sorry, what do you mean by this? Softer grades?

Baddog posted:

sport only and eldo?

Well, I'm trying to decide based on which areas I have guidebooks for: Eldo, Devil's Head, and a bunch of stuff in the Golden area (North Table, Morrison, Lookout, Golden Gate).

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Slow News Day posted:

Well, I'm trying to decide based on which areas I have guidebooks for: Eldo, Devil's Head, and a bunch of stuff in the Golden area (North Table, Morrison, Lookout, Golden Gate).

My understanding is that eldo is almost all trad, and even the bolted routes really need some protection placed. If I'm wrong someone let me know, cus we'll go check 'em out too!

Clear creek and boulder canyon have an insane amount of really good sport routes though.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Baddog posted:

My understanding is that eldo is almost all trad, and even the bolted routes really need some protection placed. If I'm wrong someone let me know, cus we'll go check 'em out too!

Clear creek and boulder canyon have an insane amount of really good sport routes though.

Yeah, if you're not climbing trad or climbing something super duper hard I don't think there's much reason to go to Eldo over somewhere else in the front range

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Baddog is correct.

Clear Creek is indeed soft imo. 10a/b in clear Creek is a 9 in Bocan I find.

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

how do you avoid loving your climbing partners? seems almost inevitable when you go on a trip to some place romantic and do cool poo poo together.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Why would one want to avoid that?

All I want is a belay partner who will also let me touch her boobs :saddowns:

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

I married my climbing partner :shrug:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Xyven posted:

I married my climbing partner :shrug:

A sound strategy to avoid loving

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Papercut posted:

A sound strategy to avoid loving

That'll do it

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Everyone is just trying to get belaid

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Slow News Day posted:

Sorry, what do you mean by this? Softer grades?

Yeah I don't have the eldo guidebook, but most all the sport routes I've seen there on the proj are more like sport pitches after a pitch or three of trad climbing to approach them. I think you will be disappointed going there with just a stack of quickdraws.

North Table is a skip imo if you're visiting. Very few redeeming qualities there. Tiers of Zion on lookout is pretty nice if you're looking to climb in the sub .10 range.

What grade are you looking to climb when you're here?

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Sigmund Fraud posted:

how do you avoid loving your climbing partners? seems almost inevitable when you go on a trip to some place romantic and do cool poo poo together.

People overweight negative experiences and loss in their mental arithmetic, so maintain a frigid neutrality by having at least one epic for every six enjoyable climbs.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Anachronist posted:

Yeah I don't have the eldo guidebook, but most all the sport routes I've seen there on the proj are more like sport pitches after a pitch or three of trad climbing to approach them. I think you will be disappointed going there with just a stack of quickdraws.

North Table is a skip imo if you're visiting. Very few redeeming qualities there. Tiers of Zion on lookout is pretty nice if you're looking to climb in the sub .10 range.

What grade are you looking to climb when you're here?

I think 10s and maybe some lower 11s. I have a shoulder injury that's preventing me from harder stuff at the moment.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I heard the pencil snap this afternoon. would not recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

ploots posted:

I heard the pencil snap this afternoon. would not recommend.

Pulley rupture, I take it?