Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(February 10, 1918)

The Rectangle(Gasoline Alley)(December 15, 1918)

Little Nemo(July 7, 1907)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Yes, in Finnish the verb "laskea" can mean either "to count", or "to place / to lower".

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hippocrass posted:

The Rectangle(Gasoline Alley)(December 15, 1918)

“Gofussing.” That’s a spelling I haven’t seen before.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think that's an em dash, not a hyphen. There they go - fussing again.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I can believe you’d take gofussing from me.

Also I shouldn’t try to read things immediately after waking up.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I don't want to inline it in case no one cares, but a Youtube channel I like recently did a video on local izakayas that made me think of Uramachi Sakaba and Haraiso Days, so there's the link for anyone who wants it.

amigolupus posted:

I'm suddenly reminded of how Lindesfarne slammed that one moth friend of hers for being shallow because she was only interested in this firefly guy for something he can give her (i.e. his big, shining rear end). Holbrook likes doing the Not Like Other Girls poo poo, but Lindesfarne's a hypocrite because one of the biggest reasons she was dating Fenton was because he can give her access to unlimited flight.

His strips have a big problem with protagonist centered morality. There are no bad actions, only specific bad actors.

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 30, 1959)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BOOni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 10/8/03

Brenda Starr 11/4/51

Smokey Stover 4/14/57

Everyday Movies 11/4/36

"This mascara doesn't seem to make me glamorous -- guess I'm too healthy looking."

I Dream of Scarlet 5/3/42

Selachian fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 10, 2023

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 4/30 - 5/2/42

The sheer gall of this cliffhanger/resolution pair, my god.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
We had a good Judge Parker strip last week:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo when did Parker get hardcore?

And seconding that the Storefri comic was loving good. Especially the one where we just saw the shadows and the teacher's reaction. Not everything has to be a huge word bubble.

And I say that even as SomethingPositive used to be a favorite comic, ah well.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I often force myself to leave out capital letters and periods in texts so my friends and family dont think im a psycho

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Proper grammar is the only way. Full punctuation and accents are mandatory. Paragraphs inside single messages rather than new messages for line breaks. No emotes.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Is this that fan death some people keep going on about?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Never gently caress The Tailpipe Hot

Est. 1845 by Rev. Obed Marsh

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "310 - Jucika Understands"

"Tavasz miatt nem működik! = Out of order because of spring!"

"311 - Jucika Runs Over"

"Kórház = Hospital"

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

goatface posted:

Proper grammar is the only way. Full punctuation and accents are mandatory. Paragraphs inside single messages rather than new messages for line breaks. No emotes.

With footnotes or inline citations? Which does SMS support, anyway?

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (October 11, 1935)

Peanuts (October 11, 1976)

Crankshaft

I've heard of men with three balls in their bag, but that was usually from an erectile disfunction treatment.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (October 15-17, 1934)

Thimble Theater (May 13, 1940)

Out Our Way (January 4-6, 1943; spoiler for Ick content, the Ick-iest in awhile.)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Hi, Giant Ethicist. You don't have PMs, so I'll just have to ask this here. I recently finished reading Minami's Lover by Shungiko Uchida, and she seems to be a manga author of some importance in Japan about which there's very little information in English- as far as I can tell, Minami's Lover is the only thing she's written to have been translated into English, despite her appearing to be a figure of some notoriety in Japan. She appears to be most famous for the yonkoma series We Are Reproducing which my book describes as being about pregnancy and single motherhood and which limited Internet searches describe as nineties-era Japanese feminism. My question is, would you be interested in attempting to translate any of this series for the thread?

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 10, 2023

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (January 6, 1943)

Is that the first OOW cat we've seen?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Nostalgamus posted:

Is that the first OOW cat we've seen?

The first one in a long time. Most of the ones I can remember are from the 20s.

There's just something about the way Williams drew cats that makes you realize he'd rather be doing dogs...um, DORGZ.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

davidspackage posted:

I often force myself to leave out capital letters and periods in texts so my friends and family dont think im a psycho

One of my friends turned off capital letters completely, and I feel like that's moving too far in the other direction

Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Some Guy TT posted:

Hi, Giant Ethicist. You don't have PMs, so I'll just have to ask this here. I recently finished reading Minami's Lover by Shungiko Uchida, and she seems to be a manga author of some importance in Japan about which there's very little information in English- as far as I can tell, Minami's Lover is the only thing she's written to have been translated into English, despite her appearing to be a figure of some notoriety in Japan. She appears to be most famous for the yonkoma series [b]We Are Reproducing[b] which my book describes as being about pregnancy and single motherhood and which limited Internet searches describe as nineties-era Japanese feminism. My question is, would you be interested in attempting to translate any of this series for the thread?
I was going to say “I might could,” but then I looked into things and ended up buying the first volume (of 22! So we’ll see how long I keep up with it) on Kindle so it looks like I’ll be giving it a go anyway.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Heart of the City Does a MASTERCLASS In Making Nothing Happen

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Well, I'd rather be Arlo than a Plugger.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Oh yeah there's another story where something is :airquote:happening.:airquote:

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 9, 2023

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 7/29/51

Archie 5/20-22/48

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Phoebe

BCN

See, Georgia?! More of this!

Less of this!

Wallace

Curtis

I know this is going to end in Greg messing with him but I'm really having fun with it in the meantime.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vargo posted:

Phoebe

BCN

Why did you change the order of these comics?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Zereth posted:

Why did you change the order of these comics?

Most of the time I'm using Powered Descent's automatic script and my normal order is the order they come in. Today I created the images manually and just listed them in the arbitrary order in which I clicked on them in GoComics

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

In place of what would've gone here tonight, what would've gone here last night: It's A Sketchy Life for October 6, 1927! We lead with two from Don Herold:

Two from Emilio Amero:

Russell Patterson:

And LJ Holton:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I like that Savarna is loving stoked to see Diana. That makes sense.

Now I want a story where they team up to save the dumbass Mozz and Phantom.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

This isn't usually my kinda thing and I know very little about this style, but I have to ask: why do so many of these characters seem to have crossed eyes?

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

i don't like snoopy and the merchandising of the cute character and how he took over the strip and changed the tone

but it was a gift so now I must display it forever

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

that's very cute!!!

classic proto-/actual-dog snoopy supremacy, though

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Dunkin' on Sputter

And thus ends our run with Sputter!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I like that Savarna is loving stoked to see Diana. That makes sense.

Now I want a story where they team up to save the dumbass Mozz and Phantom.

I want the story where Diana tells Savarna what Mozz did and then stops Savarna from grabbing the grenade launcher by calling dibs.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I read somewhere that millennials come off as jerk in texts because they insist on ending sentences with periods and a period tends to read as a bit abrupt in conversation. Now I am forced to leave the ends of my texts naked lest people think I'm not friendly

Vargo posted:

BCN

See, Georgia?! More of this!

My daycare when I was a little kid had these books. Even pulling them out of the shelf to look at the covers was too scary for me. A few years ago I heard they were re-releasing the books in special anniversary editions, but with new less-scary art so the kiddos wouldn't get nightmares. I try not to go all "kids these days :arghfist::corsair:," but boy it was hard when I heard that. Not that it's the kids' fault. It's their parents that think they can't handle a spooky drawing

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Little boy is tripping balls confirmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

My daycare when I was a little kid had these books. Even pulling them out of the shelf to look at the covers was too scary for me. A few years ago I heard they were re-releasing the books in special anniversary editions, but with new less-scary art so the kiddos wouldn't get nightmares. I try not to go all "kids these days :arghfist::corsair:," but boy it was hard when I heard that. Not that it's the kids' fault. It's their parents that think they can't handle a spooky drawing