Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

To clarify the rules, syqs are not illegal in cspam and not currently illegal in this thread. They got banned in the Ukraine thread through a combination of excessive overuse (people who didn't know how to turn it off even when it wasn't insane or funny enough) and stupid forums war bullshit.

I expect they will not be banned in this thread as long as they are not overused to the point of excess and do not lead to stupid forums war bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Stringent posted:

if hezbollah commits, the damage isn't going to be done on the lebanon border.
they could throw a hell of a lot of rockets at tel aviv and they have some ballistic missiles. many more than hamas does. the towns in northern israel would have to bug out or go into their bunkers for how long, i dunno, but for awhile.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

keep punching joe posted:

Doesn't America and the EU just give Israel an infinite ammo cheat though?

This would be true if America and the EU weren't pouring more than 100% of their ammunition producing capacity directly into Ukraine

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Freezer posted:

Doesn't Israel bomb Lebanon and Syria on a regular basis because gently caress you what are you gonna do about it?

syria yes lebanon not really as far as i know

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Nonsense posted:

AlJazeera Arabic seems to be showing columns of Israeli self-propelled artillery driving to Gaza, so that story seems dubious

Yeah, Israel would have to be pretty foolish to give more than a token percentage of their artillery rounds to Ukraine.

On the other hand, hubris has destroyed mightier empires.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Freezer posted:

Doesn't Israel bomb Lebanon and Syria on a regular basis because gently caress you what are you gonna do about it?

not for much longer

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

oh so that's what they meant when they were calling it Israel's 9/11

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

AlJazeera Arabic seems to be showing columns of Israeli self-propelled artillery driving to Gaza, so that story seems dubious

man i wish al jazeera arabic had some kinda CC or something, cuz al jazeera english kinda sucks

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

oh so that's what they meant when they were calling it Israel's 9/11

netanyahu was reading "my pet goyim" at a children's school that day when news of the attack arrived

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Freezer posted:

more or less. just syria tho.
theyd just send over planes every once in a while to protect 'strategic interests'

then retreat behind america going neener neener

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

speng31b posted:

To clarify the rules, syqs are not illegal in cspam and not currently illegal in this thread. They got banned in the Ukraine thread through a combination of excessive overuse (people who didn't know how to turn it off even when it wasn't insane or funny enough) and stupid forums war bullshit.

I expect they will not be banned in this thread as long as they are not insanely overused and do not lead to stupid forums war bullshit.

what are the rules for just quoting someone without removing the link?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

This would be true if America and the EU weren't pouring more than 100% of their ammunition producing capacity directly into Ukraine

Yeah, have to imagine at this point our "surplus" poo poo is spoken for and we're not sharing our good stuff

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/haaretzcom/status/1711329340804186619

speng31b
May 8, 2010

crepeface posted:

what are the rules for just quoting someone without removing the link?

that is against the rules but i rarely enforce it because i think it's kind of a dumb rule because just removing the hyperlink makes it legal, but other mods might choose differently. I'd probably start to enforce it if it leads to obvious drama.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

speng31b posted:

that is against the rules but i rarely enforce it because i think it's kind of a dumb rule because just removing the hyperlink makes it legal, but other mods might choose differently. I'd probably start to enforce it if it leads to obvious drama.

fair

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

speng31b posted:

I expect they will not be banned in this thread as long as they are not overused to the point of excess and do not lead to stupid forums war bullshit.

I only brought it up because we had two people doing jt on the same page and it looked like it was ramping up fwiw

Ty for moderating this mess

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
I don’t see the point of SYQ for this. Oh wow, those posters are complete pieces of poo poo? We’ve known this for a year and a half! :nallears:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Next season of Blowback lookin good

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Dokapon Findom posted:

I don’t see the point of SYQ for this. Oh wow, those posters are complete pieces of poo poo? We’ve known this for a year and a half! :nallears:

sometimes its funny

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
a member of Hizbullah was killed in the israeli bombing of lebanon

https://twitter.com/ajarabic/status/1711420226942685689?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I completely forgot the house doesn't even have a speaker so they can't do an appropriations bill to fund Israel right now

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Waving flag graphics designers are the real winners

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
What's SYQ? I tried looking it up, but all I can find is an international airport in Costa Rica.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I completely forgot the house doesn't even have a speaker so they can't do an appropriations bill to find Israel right now

lol

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I am calling on President Xi to enforce a no fly zone over Gaza and the West Bank

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I completely forgot the house doesn't even have a speaker so they can't do an appropriations bill to fund Israel right now

lol

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Hi 👋 posting professor here! Just wanted to clarify that removing the identifying markings of a subforum when engaging in a flame war is actually illegal according to the Geneva Posting Conventions 🙌

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

William Bear posted:

What's SYQ? I tried looking it up, but all I can find is an international airport in Costa Rica.

its like psyche. like you cant just SYQ someone out, right?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Hamas is making this a historic Indigenous Peoples' Day

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

William Bear posted:

source your quote aka reposting the text of a bad post from somewhere else but without the quote blocks so it looks like you are posting it in earnest. but people use it now to just mean "quote from another subforum"

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

we should not post SYQ because we respect costa rica's right to self determination

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

William Bear posted:

idk, what's SYQ with you?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Atrocious Joe posted:

Hamas is making this a historic Indigenous Peoples' Day

they closed all the libraries in honor of hamas's success

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

syq is cool but it has to be good enough to actually fool someone

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

KomradeX posted:

This is what car brain gets you

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
SYQos

Yes! Haha yes!

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
It hasn't been mentioned here, but this attack occurred during the holiday of Jewish holiday of Shmini Atzeret / Simchat Torah, which is one of the major holidays on the Jewish calendar. Within the Orthodox community outside of Israel, people only learned about the attacks piecemeal, because we didn't have access to electronic media. In my synagogue we heard fairly early, because we have a hatzala ambulance driver in our congregation who saw it on CNN at the hospital and told our rabbi, who made an announcement with the little he knew. Others found out later in the day, through friends of friends. I'm on the Upper West Side in New York City, with dozens of synagogues, and you could almost see the ripple effect - it's a holiday built around dancing and celebration, and no one knew what to do. There's a part of the service where there's a singing call and response between members of the congregation. In the synagogue my stepson goes to, they have a tradition of dividing those in fun ways - for example, all people who are Cohens, then everyone answers. All the people who have been members of the shul for more than 20 years. All the Mets fans. Lefties. They asked for all the people who have family members in Israel to do the calling. And then - no one sang the response. In a shul filled with easily over 150 people, it turned out there wasn't a single person there who didn't have a family member who lives there. No one knew if they had a family member who was killed, who was wounded, who was kidnapped. Yesterday, when the holiday had ended within Israel but not yet outside its borders, people were asking rabbis if it was okay to ask their non-Jewish neighbors or doormen to call their parents and siblings to see if they were safe. If it matters to anyone here, my stepson and his wife live there. All of my husband's siblings are there (his mother was born in Jerusalem in the 30s). We spent last night on WhatsApp and on the phone.

I came here late last night because this is one of the places I get my news after events. I expected to see ongoing links as things had progressed. I did not expect to see a thread that not only had few links, but one that read like a thread you would see after an Israeli attack.

700 Jews were killed in one day - the largest Jewish civilian death toll in one day since the Holocaust. And since it took place, Jewish communities in the West have seen upticks in incidents tied to the conflict. Thank G-d only vandalism, so far. We need to take care not to conflate Israel and Israeli policies with Jews and Judaism. They are completely separate. And by extension of that, I know we're not supposed to conflate Israeli deaths with Jewish deaths. And yet. At a time when violent anti-semitism is on the rise around the world, and when people who hate Jews have no problem conflating them, when are we allowed to talk about it? This was an act of war aimed directly and almost entirely against civilians. There are videos of unarmed Jewish people being rounded up that are being disseminated by the people responsible for the roundups, people who call us Jews interchangeably with Zionists, and it feels like we are required to think that this is entirely geopolitical, nothing to see here. It's become distasteful to see Jews as Jewish victims if they live in Israel.

The amount of sympathy for Palestinians in this thread is understandable. And necessary. But the lack of sympathy for Israelis here is palpable. Hamas does not represent all Palestinians. We can't conflate that either. It does no one any favors.

I'm bowing out of this thread. I'm not looking for a fight. I'm certainly not saying Israelis are, or will be, the only victims, or the only ones that matter. But I wanted to remind people that people like me are here.

I'm praying for peace.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

they could throw a hell of a lot of rockets at tel aviv and they have some ballistic missiles. many more than hamas does. the towns in northern israel would have to bug out or go into their bunkers for how long, i dunno, but for awhile.

no, what hezbollah is really good at is assassination. they're slow, cold and careful. if they're really committed to this, i wouldn't expect to hear from them for a few months at least.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Lol the idiots lost their thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

William Bear posted:

SYQ = "source your quote", a common response to someone copy pasting a dumbass post when linking to the post was banned for stirring up possible forum drama