Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Midsommar was one of the last great movies going experiences I had. Total mayhem in bright white so you can see the people next to you losing their poo poo when the rock shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

magiccarpet posted:

Midsommar was one of the last great movies going experiences I had. Total mayhem in bright white so you can see the people next to you losing their poo poo when the rock shows up.

Man, if there's one thing that would've made me enjoy Midsommar, it would be The Rock showing up in it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Gripweed posted:

Man, if there's one thing that would've made me enjoy Midsommar, it would be The Rock showing up in it.

So to be clear we’re all picturing the lovely CGI Scorpion King stabbing the poo poo out of that old Swedish guy with his tail, right?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
https://i.imgur.com/tDMTirh.mp4

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I’m picturing him being thrown off the cliff.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Dear diary,

It is my second week in the castle. Last night, in a fit of I know not what*, I made what I now believe to be a grievous mistake.

I went through the wondrous lists of both Tubi and Amazon Prime (with AMC/shudder/P+) and added every single horror anthology I could find to my watchlist.

Tonight, I began watching them, along with my ghastly host (despite the isolated location of his forbidding abode, his internet connection is excellent.)

I began in no particular order, but soon discovered that I had unwittingly added many that were absolutely ridiculous, amateurish tripe.

Some of them bordered on the offensive, both in the cheapness of their production values, and in the utter incompetence of their writing. To say that the Count was not amused, would be a grave understatement.

I am now hastily going through the process of removing all this tepid awfulness from my watchlists.

But at the same time, I wonder: are there any horror anthologies that are worthy of viewing, or even perhaps individual segments from anthologies, that are? I am starting to fear that my very life may depend upon it.

It is my hope that I might find it possible to please my host, who I find more than a bit aloof and mysterious, and who grows a little more frightening with each passing night.

I feel myself growing a bit weaker by the day, it becomes difficult to focus and even write, and I have horrid dreams each night.

I hope to be able to return to my beloved Mina soon, but alas, the Count has told me I cannot, unless I can show him some legitimately good anthology horror.

—- J. Harker

*ed.- it was proven to be a combination of alcohol, some as-yet unidentified flower-based plant, and severe blood loss/anemia

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 9, 2023

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i watched get out tonight also. it turns out watching horror films helps me forget real life horror for moments at a time 💪

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mover posted:

Midsommar owns

grobbo
May 29, 2014

MrMojok posted:

Dear diary,

It is my second week in the castle. Last night, in a fit of I know not what*, I made what I now believe to be a grievous mistake.

I went through the wondrous lists of both Tubi and Amazon Prime (with AMC/shudder/P+) and added every single horror anthology I could find to my watchlist.

Tonight, I began watching them, along with my ghastly host (despite the isolated location of his forbidding abode, his internet connection is excellent.)

I began in no particular order, but soon discovered that I had unwittingly added many that were absolutely ridiculous, amateurish tripe.

Some of them bordered on the offensive, both in the cheapness of their production values, and in the utter incompetence of their writing. To say that the Count was not amused, would be a grave understatement.

I am now hastily going through the process of removing all this tepid awfulness from my watchlists.

But at the same time, I wonder: are there any horror anthologies that are worthy of viewing, or even perhaps individual segments from anthologies, that are? I am starting to fear that my very life may depend upon it.

It is my hope that I might find it possible to please my host, who I find more than a bit aloof and mysterious, and who grows a little more frightening with each passing night.

I feel myself growing a bit weaker by the day, it becomes difficult to focus and even write, and I have horrid dreams each night.

I hope to be able to return to my beloved Mina soon, but alas, the Count has told me I cannot, unless I can show him some legitimately good anthology horror.

—- J. Harker

*ed.- it was proven to be a combination of alcohol, some as-yet unidentified flower-based plant, and severe blood loss/anemia

5 June.

The case of MrMojok grows more interesting the more I get to understand the man. He seems to have some settled scheme of his own, but what it is I do not know. His redeeming quality is a love of horror. Just now his hobby is watching anthology films.

I enquired which anthologies he had already tried and failed to enjoy, and suggested that Mario Bava's Black Sabbath, The Company of Wolves, and Kwaidan were all older classics, and that Trick 'R' Treat remains good straightforward fun.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
VHS 85 was good but a couple of the stories have such little closure it’s like what was the point

it’s annoying because they seemed to tie into each other but really went nowhere. some of it was great.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I was watching Audition for the first time in a LONG time over the weekend, and needed to look something up. The top is where I was in the movie, the second was the first search result thumbnail. I'm scared of my powers and it's totally not a coincidence.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Xiahou Dun posted:

So to be clear we’re all picturing the lovely CGI Scorpion King stabbing the poo poo out of that old Swedish guy with his tail, right?

I was imagining something like Scatman Crothers at the end of The Shining.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Gonz posted:

Brand new extra long Kane Pixels video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWNMsZ44ooc

It’s a continuation of this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjY897CCu4g

I continue to be extremelt hype for his feature length A24 movie. I hope we get some sort of teaser trailer soon.

this rocks, k pixels has really tapped into my love of youtube dead mall explorations. definitely eager to see the feature

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I really liked V/H/S 85. Definitley the best wraparound story they've ever done, and all of the segments were fun in different ways. Dreamkiller was probably my least favorite but it was really well done and was a fun mystery. I just kinda knew where it was going, especially since Derrickson had some similar concepts in The Black Phone. Still well worth watching.

I also went to see Evil Dead: The Musical on Saturday night. Highly recommended, it's funny and gory and the songs are really catchy. I cannot stress enough how much blood will be sprayed on you in the splash zone. At the halfway point I was like "eh, that's a lot of blood, but not as much as I expected". But the finale more than made up for that.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
1.MEG 2
2 The Nun
3. Totally killer
4. No one will save you
5. Fear the night
6. The Prodigy
7. Wrath of Becky
8. Birdbox Barcelona
9. Angry black girl and her monster

I’m randomly picking a recent movie I haven’t seen before that is at least horror adjacent every day this month.

No one will save you surprised the poo poo out of me at how good it was and I was surprised how terribly boring the Meg 2 was.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
FYI we have a pretty fun thread going on in the new spooky subforum where people post about the horror movies they're watching this month. Feel free to join in if you want to!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042950

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

magiccarpet posted:

I saw it in the theater three times. :suspense:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

A Fancy Hat posted:

I really liked V/H/S 85. Definitley the best wraparound story they've ever done, and all of the segments were fun in different ways. Dreamkiller was probably my least favorite but it was really well done and was a fun mystery. I just kinda knew where it was going, especially since Derrickson had some similar concepts in The Black Phone. Still well worth watching.

I also went to see Evil Dead: The Musical on Saturday night. Highly recommended, it's funny and gory and the songs are really catchy. I cannot stress enough how much blood will be sprayed on you in the splash zone. At the halfway point I was like "eh, that's a lot of blood, but not as much as I expected". But the finale more than made up for that.

I saw the OG off-broadway Evil Dead the Musical and it is one of my fondest memories. I left absolutely soaked in stage blood with a copy of the soundtrack.

That show rules. If a tour comes vaguely near you it’s worth it. More horror live theater!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

FYI we have a pretty fun thread going on in the new spooky subforum where people post about the horror movies they're watching this month. Feel free to join in if you want to!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042950

still aint even made a dang list yet

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Crescent Wrench posted:

I’m the guy who complains when movies run over 90min and I still saw it more than once. That sound design was incredible in the theatre.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Crescent Wrench posted:

I'll say this about Aster, love his stuff or hate it, it's always worth seeing with an audience.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Midsommar is fun. It has value not only just as one of the most faithful cinematic representations of tripping, but also just separate from The Wicker Man because honestly The Wicker Man is so weirdly charmingly itself and more musical than most people remember (until the next rewatch).

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
some spooky fun going on in the haunted forum

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I saw the new Exorcist movie in a theater. The one with the two girls.

Don't be like me. It's a dog, with fleas. Woof.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I ain’t trusting that man with horror again so don’t worry

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Evil dies tonight!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Let me take over the franchise. I have a killer idea. Check it out;

The Exorcists

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
jason vs hereditary

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I mean such a fundamentally silly movie as the new Exorcist one could have been fun if they'd gone for a hard campy vibe, but NOOOOOOOO.

I could have used the protagonists looking up various YouTube videos on how do DIY exorcise.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the exorcism of emily rose ftw

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

The Exorcists

That's a hell of an act, what do you call it?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gripweed posted:

The Exorcists

Close but the pitch was exactly the same as the James Cameron Aliens pitch: Exorcist$

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

WHY BONER NOW posted:

That's a hell of an act, what do you call it?

The righteous gemstones

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Did anyone who liked all three DGG Halloween movies see Exorcist yet? Because I’m one of those weirdos and I’m curious if I’ll like it at all

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

halloween kills owned and halloween ends did not own

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Saw this on imgur and someone needs to make a higher res version

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Opopanax posted:

Did anyone who liked all three DGG Halloween movies see Exorcist yet? Because I’m one of those weirdos and I’m curious if I’ll like it at all

I liked all three of the Halloween movies, Ends most of all, and the new Exorcist is just extremely okay. It’s a bit boring in all honesty, even though it tries some interesting bits like adding a Haitian priest and blinding Ellen Berstyn’s character.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Any recs for some truly scary, gory movies?

Wife and I tried to watch the grudge but fell asleep due to the slow start. She loves the saw series ( and big series are kinda preferred)

Also will take recs for truly scary ghost movies. Will be showing her hell house and grave encounters soon!

Autopsy of Jane Doe any good?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Harminoff posted:

Yes, you should watch it it’s cool and creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Harminoff posted:

Any recs for some truly scary, gory movies?
Wife and I tried to watch the grudge but fell asleep due to the slow start. She loves the saw series ( and big series are kinda preferred)

Also will take recs for truly scary ghost movies. Will be showing her hell house and grave encounters soon!

Re-Animator is probably a go to

I'd also recommend something that's not super gory but I think enjoyable which is The Resurrected.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 9, 2023