Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Hmm, I didn't realise I could get windows 11 for 20 bucks, that's a bit of a game changer.

I've already hooked up the drives (though haven't finished setting up the rig as my CPU was stolen in delivery), but it wouldn't be too much effort to take out the windows SSD and do what you said instead.

Plus it turns out the Windows SSD is only 180GB. No idea if that's enough for the long term.

If I'm popping the old storage drives in anyway it won't matter too much about transferring files to USB etc either, windows 11 should just access them up without wanting to reformat them or anything right?

When I give my son the old parts in about 3 years, I'll probably just pop in a new storage SSD for him along with a new case.

Actually, that being said, windows 10 will still be fine to use in about 3 years right (it'll be a 5 year old using it)? The old parts don't support windows 11 apparently so it's what the rig is stuck with.

It's got a gtx 1660ti, so should let him play a plethora of games when he's finally old enough.

Hunter Noventa posted:

I keep windows on a separate drive just on the off chance that something does go wrong with it, it doesn't take everything else with it. Saved my bacon earlier this year when I had to reinstall 10 out of nowhere, but didn't effectively lose anything.

And then you go ahead and reaffirm the core reason why I keep windows on a separate drive. That peace of mind that it's just the windows install that needs corrected feels kinda invaluable.

Kin fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Windows 10 will stop getting security updates towards the end of 2025 as far as anyone knows.

E: peace of mind comes from adequate backups

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Is there a way to adjust how wide the alt+tab menu is? I don't know if it's always been like that or if I'm legit bugged out or something but on my ultrawide, the menu fills the first row and then starts filling from the second, making the window previews being far apart and making it more difficult to find the window you're looking for at a glance. Win+tab is just slow for my tastes.

edit: Because this behaviour is *really* not smart:

Dessel fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 6, 2023

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Kin posted:

Hmm, I didn't realise I could get windows 11 for 20 bucks, that's a bit of a game changer.

I've already hooked up the drives (though haven't finished setting up the rig as my CPU was stolen in delivery), but it wouldn't be too much effort to take out the windows SSD and do what you said instead.

Plus it turns out the Windows SSD is only 180GB. No idea if that's enough for the long term.

If I'm popping the old storage drives in anyway it won't matter too much about transferring files to USB etc either, windows 11 should just access them up without wanting to reformat them or anything right?

When I give my son the old parts in about 3 years, I'll probably just pop in a new storage SSD for him along with a new case.

Actually, that being said, windows 10 will still be fine to use in about 3 years right (it'll be a 5 year old using it)? The old parts don't support windows 11 apparently so it's what the rig is stuck with.

It's got a gtx 1660ti, so should let him play a plethora of games when he's finally old enough.

And then you go ahead and reaffirm the core reason why I keep windows on a separate drive. That peace of mind that it's just the windows install that needs corrected feels kinda invaluable.

Sorry about the delay.

That small of an SSD would work for Windows, and additional programs. My current install of Win11 22 gig, not counting the User folder, which varies greatly from person to person.

You would probably notice a speed increase running Windows off the nvme, especially if that SSD is on the older side.

As Flipperwaldt said, Win10 updates end somewhere in 2025. You could use any number of Linux installs, which work extremely well with Steam and I think Minecraft (no personal experience on the latter though).

There shouldn't be any issue with simply plugging the drive from the previous system into the new and it sees everything, but occasionally it can go sideways. I had a storage drive that, honestly I'm not sure WTF happened. Somehow it got fully associated with the previous Windows install, and when I plugged it into the new install (this is when I built a new system), it could not read the file structure at all. I didn't go into trying to get the stuff off it too hard, as it was simply old backups. But I lost everything on the drive.

I've also had the weird issue, though this might have been a Win10 thing, where the Administration level of the previous Windows install is still on the drive, and I have had to give myself permission to edit anything on the drive. I haven't had that one that I recall since moving to Win11 though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Koskun posted:

There shouldn't be any issue with simply plugging the drive from the previous system into the new and it sees everything, but occasionally it can go sideways. I had a storage drive that, honestly I'm not sure WTF happened. Somehow it got fully associated with the previous Windows install, and when I plugged it into the new install (this is when I built a new system), it could not read the file structure at all. I didn't go into trying to get the stuff off it too hard, as it was simply old backups. But I lost everything on the drive.

Was Bitlocker enabled on the storage drive, maybe?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Koskun posted:

I've also had the weird issue, though this might have been a Win10 thing, where the Administration level of the previous Windows install is still on the drive, and I have had to give myself permission to edit anything on the drive. I haven't had that one that I recall since moving to Win11 though.

I guess the no issues is what I'm hoping will happen given I'm porting all 3 drives across from the current system (including the windows drive).

I suppose it's whether it goes "hey new motherboard? New CPU? new RAM? New SATA ports and drives I don't recognise? time for some hijinks".

That being said, there's no risk of windows automatically formatting the drives I'm porting across is there, like in the case it can't read them for whatever reason?

I'm beginning to think that the safest thing to do is boot up my old parts first and back up all the storage files to an extremal HDD like you suggested.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

No, Windows will not destroy disks it doesn't recognize.
It will respect the security settings (file/folder access control lists) set on NTFS partitions managed by other Windows installations and refuse to grant access to items where the only readers/writers are user accounts it does not recognize, unless you elevate yourself to local administrator and tell it to override that.
It will recognize encrypted disks and leave them alone, unless you give it a decryption key.
It will recognize parts of software-RAID volumes where they are incomplete and leave them alone, unless you tell it to do otherwise.
It will recognize partition types that belong to other OS'es and leave them alone.
The one case where Windows might start trying to do some automatic recovery is if you have a straight up corrupted NTFS partition, and then your data might already be lost anyway.

Of course, still follow the old advice during Windows installation: Physically detach/disable all disks you are not installing Windows on. Re-attach them after installation is done.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 7, 2023

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Yeah the Windows installer is quite good at not loving with any pre-existing data you don't explicitly tell it to gently caress with.

The only exception I've seen is when it decides to put the boot record on a different drive to the one you're installing Windows on, which is mostly where the advice to unplug all your other drives during install comes from.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Cool, cheers for the advice.

I've already installed the NVMe drive into the motherboard (and I'm a bit reluctant to pull that out due to the thermal paste/heat synch enclosure it's now in, but that's a brand new drive anyway.

I'm not that familiar with NVMes, but from what everyone's saying, popping in the SSD, with windows 10 already on it, should boot fine and then it'll give me the option to format the NVMe drive.

Sorry for all the questions too. I'm kinda sitting here twiddling my thumbs until the CPU arrives. I already feel like I've been underprepared for building the new system, so just trying to plan for any eventualities until I can turn it on.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Was Bitlocker enabled on the storage drive, maybe?

Bitlocker on a standard drive will just ask for password / recovery key, should not be a problem.

My guess would be that Koskun's drive got set as a Dynamic Disk for some reason. Dynamic Disks can be moved to a new system, but if you don't know what's up you probably don't even know where to start and all you see is a disk that you can't read. They're a bit of a PITA. (Dynamic Disks, for those who are asking WTF, are how windows used to do software mirror / RAID. Back in the day it was exclusive to Windows Server, but starting with 7 they allowed mirrors in Pro.)

Storage Spaces are much better and easily portable to a new system, as long as OS version number is same or newer.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Kin posted:

Cool, cheers for the advice.

I've already installed the NVMe drive into the motherboard (and I'm a bit reluctant to pull that out due to the thermal paste/heat synch enclosure it's now in, but that's a brand new drive anyway.

I'm not that familiar with NVMes, but from what everyone's saying, popping in the SSD, with windows 10 already on it, should boot fine and then it'll give me the option to format the NVMe drive.

Sorry for all the questions too. I'm kinda sitting here twiddling my thumbs until the CPU arrives. I already feel like I've been underprepared for building the new system, so just trying to plan for any eventualities until I can turn it on.

Dude, install Windows 11 onto the NVMe drive. Once that's done, get whatever you need to off the SATA SSD and then wipe it.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Dessel posted:

Is there a way to adjust how wide the alt+tab menu is? I don't know if it's always been like that or if I'm legit bugged out or something but on my ultrawide, the menu fills the first row and then starts filling from the second, making the window previews being far apart and making it more difficult to find the window you're looking for at a glance. Win+tab is just slow for my tastes.

edit: Because this behaviour is *really* not smart:

Just to quote my own stupidity this was due to DisplayFusion changing Windows 11's default alt+tab behavior, disabling any adjustments in options solved it. I did like it's more compact UI compared to Windows 11 default though.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Dude, install Windows 11 onto the NVMe drive. Once that's done, get whatever you need to off the SATA SSD and then wipe it.

Looks like after all my overthinking, you're right.

Got the rig built today and while it's detecting the physical drives in the bios, it isn't detecting a bootable device :/

UEFI is mentioned all over the bios (including the logo), so maybe my windows 10 config wasn't set up with that enabled?

Anyway, I'll get a copy of windows 11 and stick it on the NVMe drive.

Out of sheer laziness (and not wanting to play around with the old parts), but what would happen if I just left the SSD with windows 10 still hooked up?

Would windows 11 just see it as a drive full of files, or not see the drive at all (I think from what you said, it would be accessible).

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Kin posted:

Looks like after all my overthinking, you're right.

Got the rig built today and while it's detecting the physical drives in the bios, it isn't detecting a bootable device :/

UEFI is mentioned all over the bios (including the logo), so maybe my windows 10 config wasn't set up with that enabled?

Anyway, I'll get a copy of windows 11 and stick it on the NVMe drive.

Out of sheer laziness (and not wanting to play around with the old parts), but what would happen if I just left the SSD with windows 10 still hooked up?

Would windows 11 just see it as a drive full of files, or not see the drive at all (I think from what you said, it would be accessible).

It shows up as a disk full of files. That's literally what it is. You may also see weird partitions that the Windows install on the drive wouldn't have exposed, but they won't hurt anything.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Excellent thanks for the confirmation.

Also, this is showing my age and ignorance, but last time I installed windows on my old machine, it was from the disc drive rather than a USB.

Will any USB drive do? Or does it need to be an empty one, etc?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Windows media creator will erase the USB stick you give it, so don't use one with data you need to keep.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

nielsm posted:

The Windows media creator will erase the USB stick you give it, so don't use one with data you need to keep.

Cheers for that.

Looks like I've got a 2 hour wait until the copying finishes from my emptiest USB drive to give me one I can use :/

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kin posted:

Cheers for that.

Looks like I've got a 2 hour wait until the copying finishes from my emptiest USB drive to give me one I can use :/

Jesus gently caress, my dude, use a USB 3 drive.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Jesus gently caress, my dude, use a USB 3 drive.

That's with a USB3 I'm afraid.

I have a few 4TB storage drives in different rooms for different purposes and the least empty one has about 800GB to transfer.

That 2 hours was at the 100MBs max speed I seem to get which I think is due to the max disc read/write speed right?

I know it's overkill to use a 4TB extremal HDD as a boot/install device for windows, but it's all I've got handy (and it'll be temporary before I reformat it after installing windows).

I haven't actually needed or bought a thumb stick for a good while. I found some in a drawer but one was only 2GB and the other 256MB or some poo poo.

They're probably cheap enough now that I should pick one up for the odd situation like this over the next decade.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Windows can boot from an external drive now? I always remember having trouble doing that

Sorry haven’t been following the conversation well if that’s already been discussed

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kin posted:

That's with a USB3 I'm afraid.

I have a few 4TB storage drives in different rooms for different purposes and the least empty one has about 800GB to transfer.

That 2 hours was at the 100MBs max speed I seem to get which I think is due to the max disc read/write speed right?

I know it's overkill to use a 4TB extremal HDD as a boot/install device for windows, but it's all I've got handy (and it'll be temporary before I reformat it after installing windows).

I haven't actually needed or bought a thumb stick for a good while. I found some in a drawer but one was only 2GB and the other 256MB or some poo poo.

They're probably cheap enough now that I should pick one up for the odd situation like this over the next decade.

yeah, okay, fine, it is the spinning rust that is your limiting factor here. I just.... you could go out, buy a usb 3.0 flash drive, come home, run the media creation tool, let it download the image and write to the drive, and probably finish with the installation in two hours.

Since you haven't had to reinstall windows in what appears to be a decade, let me tell you, reinstalls are so quick and fast and (except for one thing*) painless, it makes hitting the nuke-and-pave button real convenient and easy.

*The one thing is that you need to yank the ethernet before you do that first restart to expose the "set up a login without having to have a Microsoft account" button.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 9, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kin posted:

yes, they are literally $5

Having a scratch-use USB stick around is a really useful troubleshooting tool. Keeping a windows installer stick around is good because you can also use some recovery features. Also you can make things like a linux live boot for certain things that are difficult in windows, or a macrium bootable stick, or a memtest stick.

Last Chance posted:

Windows can boot from an external drive now? I always remember having trouble doing that

Sorry haven’t been following the conversation well if that’s already been discussed

It's the windows installer being made here.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Last Chance posted:

But yes it can do that. It's not officially supported on non-Enterprise editions, but can be made work just fine with a special tool. Look for a Windows-to-Go tool if you want to try it out. Especially if you use a USB3/USB-C connected SSD to host the system, you will barely notice a difference from one booted from an internal drive.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Thanks for the pointers. It's weird I've just never felt I had a need for a thumb drive (though I've got one ordered now).

Even working from home has me using laptops and synched sharepoints for things like client presentations if they're ever in person.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

yeah, okay, fine, it is the spinning rust that is your limiting factor here. I just.... you could go out, buy a usb 3.0 flash drive, come home, run the media creation tool, let it download the image and write to the drive, and probably finish with the installation in two hours.

Since you haven't had to reinstall windows in what appears to be a decade, let me tell you, reinstalls are so quick and fast and (except for one thing*) painless, it makes hitting the nuke-and-pave button real convenient and easy.

*The one thing is that you need to yank the ethernet before you do that first restart to expose the "set up a login without having to have a Microsoft account" button.

Thanks for the pointers with the install too. I recall that the last time I installed windows it did feel faster than windows 7 or whatever the gently caress I upgraded from before.

Fortunately, I've got a Microsoft account for windows (Office 365, etc), can you not disable the requirements to sign in with a user account/password afterwards on windows 11?

Or is there another reason to skip it?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kin posted:

Fortunately, I've got a Microsoft account for windows (Office 365, etc), can you not disable the requirements to sign in with a user account/password afterwards on windows 11?

You can skip it by:
1. using rufus to make your installer stick (and not being connected to the internet during setup)
2. following these convoluted instructions
3. saying that you already have a MS account, then using "test@test.com" and whatever password, which should fail and then allow you to make a local account

Kin posted:

Or is there another reason to skip it?

Don't use a MS account if you prefer not having MS collect data.

Do use one if you want to take advantage of the services they provide (free 5gb onedrive, bitlocker recovery keys in the MS cloud, etc) in exchange for your data.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I'd honestly suggest just using your microsoft account and setting up windows with that. Using Rufus works yes, though I have a 50/50 ratio of it making a modified install. Remember though, it looks like Kin hasn't installed Windows in near a decade. Going through those convoluted instructions, to me, is more headache than it's worth.

As to install time Kin. It's about 10 minutes from starting the install from a USB thumb drive to being at the desktop now. Especially since you will be installing to a nvme drive.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Aha, thanks again for the info.

That's me more or less in a basic setup for Windows 11, though the key I got from SAmart doesn't work so it's not activated yet (that being said I've not restarted it yet so that might be what I need to do). Other than that it was nice and speedy.

There was some weird poo poo during setup where it detected another two 2TB drives in addition to the NVMe drive that was attached (though it said it couldn't install to them because they were the wrong format or something). I'd unhooked all of my old SATAs leaving just the external HDD and the NVMe connected, so I dunno what else it spotted.

One mistake I made after logging in was telling it to restore the backup of my old Windows 10 install. All that's seemingly done is make a set of shortcuts on the taskbar (Spotify, chrome, etc), but not actually install the apps. I'm not quite sure if it's restored the files from my Windows install because I never really stored anything on it. I kinda wish I'd selected the clean install so that if there was something I didn't remember to install, I clearly didn't use it anymore.

One thing though, I'm getting a weird issue where telling Chrome/edge to save to desktop doesn't actually save things to the desktop. As in, it doesn't appear on the actual desktop.

Also, it's more of a personal taste issue, but getting used to the taskbar being on the bottom is gonna take a while. For the last 20-odd years, I'd moved the taskbar to the top of the screen because it's about the only thing I liked about a Mac. It was nice to basically have all the many buttons for browsers/apps/windows all in one place.

Now to hook up the drives, copy poo poo across and I think I'm basically ready to test the new rig out on some games.

Edit: oh and can anyone explain how I restore my USB drive back to it's original state now Windows 11 is installed?

I've managed to find the options to reformat the unallocated space in Disk Management, but after deleting the boot partition, it's not left with 2 separate slots of unallocated space 2048GB and 1677.99GB. I can't seem to merge them together, is there an option I'm missing somewhere?

Kin fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 10, 2023

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

Kin posted:

Aha, thanks again for the info.

That's me more or less in a basic setup for Windows 11, though the key I got from SAmart doesn't work so it's not activated yet (that being said I've not restarted it yet so that might be what I need to do). Other than that it was nice and speedy.

There was some weird poo poo during setup where it detected another two 2TB drives in addition to the NVMe drive that was attached (though it said it couldn't install to them because they were the wrong format or something). I'd unhooked all of my old SATAs leaving just the external HDD and the NVMe connected, so I dunno what else it spotted.

One mistake I made after logging in was telling it to restore the backup of my old Windows 10 install. All that's seemingly done is make a set of shortcuts on the taskbar (Spotify, chrome, etc), but not actually install the apps. I'm not quite sure if it's restored the files from my Windows install because I never really stored anything on it. I kinda wish I'd selected the clean install so that if there was something I didn't remember to install, I clearly didn't use it anymore.

One thing though, I'm getting a weird issue where telling Chrome/edge to save to desktop doesn't actually save things to the desktop. As in, it doesn't appear on the actual desktop.

Also, it's more of a personal taste issue, but getting used to the taskbar being on the bottom is gonna take a while. For the last 20-odd years, I'd moved the taskbar to the top of the screen because it's about the only thing I liked about a Mac. It was nice to basically have all the many buttons for browsers/apps/windows all in one place.

Now to hook up the drives, copy poo poo across and I think I'm basically ready to test the new rig out on some games.

Edit: oh and can anyone explain how I restore my USB drive back to it's original state now Windows 11 is installed?

I've managed to find the options to reformat the unallocated space in Disk Management, but after deleting the boot partition, it's not left with 2 separate slots of unallocated space 2048GB and 1677.99GB. I can't seem to merge them together, is there an option I'm missing somewhere?
Shoot a message (if you have that ability) to the seller. My guess is it's a regional thing, as you aren't in the USA correct?

Sounds like it detected the external? Is that partitioned by chance?

I've not messed with backup restores practically ever. Hopefully someone here has some knowledge of that.

Saving to the desktop might be a permission thing.

There is a program that can let you move the taskbar, but it usually breaks in some way when Microsoft rolls out a major update. It can also, at times, cause some other weirdness. I think they are eventually letting the user move the taskbar, but it isn't in yet.

The USB drive you mentioned. Is this an external or a Thumb Drive? Probably the easiest way is to right-click the Start Button, select Disk Management, find the drive (make VERY certain you select the correct drive), remove the partitions, and then do a new partition of the full capacity. Once you formatted it should be ready to be used.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
This is a small issue I've been noticing lately, but the Windows menus are acting as if either the right arrow key or Tab key are being pressed down, but to the best of my knowledge, I don't have any stuck keys on my keyboard. Just clicking the power button in the start menu doesn't work, because white highlighted outline switches to the user profile button instead, and so forth with other menus.

I'm using USB hubs for my keyboard and mice, but testing out typing in notepad doesn't indicate that any key presses are being done. If anyone has any clues about what's going on, I'd appreciate it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

god please help me posted:

This is a small issue I've been noticing lately, but the Windows menus are acting as if either the right arrow key or Tab key are being pressed down, but to the best of my knowledge, I don't have any stuck keys on my keyboard. Just clicking the power button in the start menu doesn't work, because white highlighted outline switches to the user profile button instead, and so forth with other menus.

I'm using USB hubs for my keyboard and mice, but testing out typing in notepad doesn't indicate that any key presses are being done. If anyone has any clues about what's going on, I'd appreciate it.

Do you have a game pad plugged in?

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
...Yes, I do. Problem solved, muchas gracias! :sweatdrop:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

god please help me posted:

...Yes, I do. Problem solved, muchas gracias! :sweatdrop:

lol no worries, always glad when it's something easy like that

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Those long instructions boil down to

"On the "Sign in" page, use these steps:

Use the "Shift + F10" keyboard shortcut to open Command Prompt.
Type the following command to release the current network configuration and press Enter: oobe\bypassnro"

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Koskun posted:

Shoot a message (if you have that ability) to the seller. My guess is it's a regional thing, as you aren't in the USA correct?

Sounds like it detected the external? Is that partitioned by chance?

I've not messed with backup restores practically ever. Hopefully someone here has some knowledge of that.

Saving to the desktop might be a permission thing.

There is a program that can let you move the taskbar, but it usually breaks in some way when Microsoft rolls out a major update. It can also, at times, cause some other weirdness. I think they are eventually letting the user move the taskbar, but it isn't in yet.

The USB drive you mentioned. Is this an external or a Thumb Drive? Probably the easiest way is to right-click the Start Button, select Disk Management, find the drive (make VERY certain you select the correct drive), remove the partitions, and then do a new partition of the full capacity. Once you formatted it should be ready to be used.

Yeah, the seller managed to help me fix the windows key issue so that's all good now.

As for the extrernal. It's a WD mypassport.

Originally it was a single partition 4TB drive but, after I turned it into a windows 11 boot installer, it created a 30GB partition for the installer and left two separate chunks of unallocated space. One that was 2TB and another just under that.

I deleted that 30GB partition, but the disk manager won't let me merge those two chunks of unallocated space if you know what I mean.

With one of them being exactly 2TB, is there maybe some windows limitation thing where it can only create 2TB partitions at a time?

When I format one of the spaces, I've then got the option to punch in a specific size, if I set that to be the size of both unallocated spaces, rather than the max size of the individual unallocated space, will that merge it?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Is there any way to make windows not spin up my external hard drives whenever I'm accessing my ssds? Getting tired of having plug them back in whenever I want to download something or watch a movie and if I leave them plugged in every time I open file explorer or some other things unrelated to the HDD I have to wait 20+ seconds for windows to respond again while it spins up these slow rear end WD Reds.

I thought I had indexing turned off but I did not, might be fixed.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 10, 2023

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Has anyone had any luck with Night Light turning on automatically? I feel like it worked fine in Windows 10, but I don''t think it's worked since I updated to 11 however many years ago. It's set to follow sunset/sunrise, but it's always off after the sun sets.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Has anyone had any luck with Night Light turning on automatically? I feel like it worked fine in Windows 10, but I don''t think it's worked since I updated to 11 however many years ago. It's set to follow sunset/sunrise, but it's always off after the sun sets.

Of course, the very next day it behaves. Thanks, Murphy!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I have the most annoying bug on Windows 11. It started happening a couple of weeks ago. The audio sound level will automatically adjust if some threshold is reached. As in, if it gets "too loud", the audio level will go down for a bit, until the music (or game or person talking) gets quieter, then it goes up again. For highly dynamic music (such as metal or electronic) it can just switch up and down every second, it's crazy.

I've turned off every audio effect or audio processing in Windows, nothing changes that behavior. I have a generic sound car, built-in my desktop's motherboard. It uses a generic Microsoft driver, which seems bugged.

Is there anyway for me to fix this, or to troubleshoot it in more details?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Kinda sounds like something has ducking turned on and your mic is active, tbh. Does it still happen when you have headphones on or only when you listen to music on your speakers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

My work Win11 PC is on MS account, the home machine is an older Win10 that's I've managed to avoid infecting. Maybe today I'll have some time to dig through the logs on the home PC and see how it was trying to log in.

Anyway, I now have a new fun issue, this laptop doesn't detect any USB-C monitor any more. But I'll just have our IT deal with this poo poo now :shrug:
So this is from a while back but it turned out to be pretty ridiculous.

The issue was being unable to RDP to my home PC from my work machine. It seems to pass the work domain by default but even if I manually specify the right one, it still fails with "Unknown user name or bad password":

I can RPD from anything else on the local network
I can RDP from my phone
I can RDP from my work machine using a different account I created

Just not this one. You know what does work? Using the "modern" UWP RDP app.

I've still no idea what the actual cause is, my only suspicion is that it might be upset at accented characters in the user name. But it does work from other devices using the native app so :iiam: