Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

johnny park posted:

The new Teams client appears to be breaking the Outlook Teams add-in. Anyone else seeing this?

I had to join via browser today because I couldn't find a Join Teams Meeting button that worked. I didn't have a background so everyone saw my goblin cave.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I had to join via browser today because I could find a Join Teams Meeting button that worked. I didn't have a background so everyone saw my goblin cave.

Yeah it's the button and add-in that is just Gone for our users. Microsoft also in its infinite wisdom does not seem to provide a way to actually manually download and install the Teams add-in, as it's "supposed" to do it automatically when Teams is installed. Very cool

I disabled the new Teams client for everyone so hopefully nobody else will get automatically upgraded while we try to figure out what the hell it's doing

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

kuarduck posted:

Yeah, that's your new "Senior" or "Team Lead"

Thanks, I hate the very idea already.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Everyone posted:

Leaving the data world for cyber security...

Thanks for advice. I'm going to give the cyber security world a chance. I'm going to try and pick up a few Azure security certs before end of year, and maybe try to land a job as a SOC Analyst or something. Lots of research to do on all this.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

jaegerx posted:

People still text with their thumbs with touch screens? My friend just told me he's still a thumb typer on his mobile phone. Is this real? I'm a 1 finger txter on my phone.

Single thumb and swipe typing are pretty legit when I'm drunk/high/tired/texting half asleep. Requires less hand eye coordination and usually corrects fuckups like typing emlinayiuoin into elimination correctly. Sometimes.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Just solved an issue in Intune that's been a problem for several days and hoo boy do I feel like a fool. The solution?

Don't rename the installer file without making the change to the installation command

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

hoo boy do I feel like a fool.

yep, sounds right

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

oh hey, check out this new sticker I got

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

tokin opposition posted:

Just solved an issue in Intune that's been a problem for several days and hoo boy do I feel like a fool. The solution?

Don't rename the installer file without making the change to the installation command

I sometimes discuss my experience with various IT things by listing the mistakes I've already made. That's on the list.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

regulargonzalez posted:

Max is 5% , standard is 3.5%. There's been discussion at the C levels about an additional 2% bump, because inflation. If that goes through, and taking into account I got a promotion a few months ago, come January I'll be making about 33% more than I did a year ago, and well over 100% more than I was making in my last non-IT job.

As a 40-something guy with no degree who just got into IT a little over 3 years ago I'm pretty happy with myself.

Hell yeah this gives me hope, I'm right near the start of that right now. If I can pivot to my company's backend I can really get the experience I need to pull that off too.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

New client signed. Government. Asked if it’s siprnet. No response from sales. They didn’t think to ask.

Fml

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
it's wet

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Welp my issue wasn't fixed and I'd like to invite intune app supersedence to eat my farts

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

When I win the Powerball tonight I'm gonna start my own VC

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You misspelled vd

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Both

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

johnny park posted:

The new Teams client appears to be breaking the Outlook Teams add-in. Anyone else seeing this?

Are these virtual machines? Teams has been having problems on virtual machines for a while, especially certain types of AVDs.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Fool posted:

oh hey, check out this new sticker I got

That’s dope. Where did you get it, or did you make it yourself?

In other news:

My new gig is becoming more pleasant every day. When I mentioned I’d be OOO for a few hours the reaction was “no need to tell us man, if we need you and can’t get a hold of you, we’ll try again later. Just let us know when you’re taking a full day off”.

Also the mandatory one day a week in the office isn’t mandatory at all and nobody bats an eye when I come in at 10 and leave at 4 to beat traffic. :eyepop:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ihmemies posted:

Help. I'm at university, so not really a work related thing. But we have a course on data structures and algorithms, and about halfway into the course a guy asks on what to do with an exercise. The exercise provided some test functions to ease testing of your code, and premade classes where you have to implement some methods.

When the program is run, it prints:
code:
test_function is required
Run with --help for more information.
The dude literally doesn't understand what he has to do. He does not understand what the program is trying to say to him - run it with a --help commandline argument. I tried to explain to him what commandline arguments are. Then I tried to explain the concept of commandline. I gave up at the stage when I realized he doesn't understand at all what he is doing. He justs presses the green "play" button in IDE and magic happens.

Previous courses have definitely taught about what are compiled languages, what are executables, how commandline parameters work. I have no idea about how the guy has survived this far.

I haven't been this baffled in a very long time :allbuttons:

My conclusion after a few years is that people love guys like this because they don't feel threatened by them. Worst thing you can do is make someone else think you're smarter than them.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Had to check Entra for the first time in a while (don't really need to we don't have a high volume of people) and wow! I hate this fuckin UI!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

LochNessMonster posted:

That’s dope. Where did you get it, or did you make it yourself?

There's a local artist that does a bunch of "skullie" designs and made stickers of all the major arcana. That one was an instant buy for me.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Reoxygenation posted:

Had to check Entra for the first time in a while (don't really need to we don't have a high volume of people) and wow! I hate this fuckin UI!

I will say that for ALLLLL of azures faults its UI is peerless imo because they offer high contrast dark mode and a search bar that takes you exactly where you want to go.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Thanks for that, I changed it to dark mode immediately :v:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Reoxygenation posted:

The AAD ui is seriously low on my list of complaints about the service.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I've not had the displeasure of butting heads with it too much yet, I just access it mostly whenever there's new users or people that quit as of right now, so feeling blessed (until we inevitably use it more ha ha)

But it's been nearly 4 years since we started using O365 so I have high hopes that the heat death of the universe will come before I need to bother with it (that or I will change jobs)

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Having a rough morning guys. I think I have run out of talent after several years of stagnation in my last job. How in the world does one catch up? I've been trudging my way through Fortinet NSE4 in an attempt to expand my knowledge and all I'm really getting is a shitload of acronyms referencing other acronyms that I don't understand anymore, and all the younger millennials post my generation seem to be light years ahead of me now. Applying what I do know is getting harder and harder, while all of what I do know is way out of date or has been obfuscated by more and more layers now. I've forgotten so much, I honestly don't know how to tackle it. I've gotten to be such poo poo I wouldn't even call myself a network engineer anymore, just a tech.

It's like something (probably trauma) has broken my brain and I'm nowhere near as sharp as I one was. How I've managed to keep my current role is beyond me because I feel like I'm just grasping at straws most days while I keep putting more and more pressure on myself to remain relevant. Since I've undergone treatment for ADHD and a hell of a lot of other things, all my confidence in my ability is gone and all I can think about is the Dunning-Kruger effect I know I had previously. I think the whole goddamned industry has left me behind now and it's scary AF.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Farking Bastage posted:

Having a rough morning guys. I think I have run out of talent after several years of stagnation in my last job. How in the world does one catch up? I've been trudging my way through Fortinet NSE4 in an attempt to expand my knowledge and all I'm really getting is a shitload of acronyms referencing other acronyms that I don't understand anymore, and all the younger millennials post my generation seem to be light years ahead of me now. Applying what I do know is getting harder and harder, while all of what I do know is way out of date or has been obfuscated by more and more layers now. I've forgotten so much, I honestly don't know how to tackle it. I've gotten to be such poo poo I wouldn't even call myself a network engineer anymore, just a tech.

It's like something (probably trauma) has broken my brain and I'm nowhere near as sharp as I one was. How I've managed to keep my current role is beyond me because I feel like I'm just grasping at straws most days while I keep putting more and more pressure on myself to remain relevant. Since I've undergone treatment for ADHD and a hell of a lot of other things, all my confidence in my ability is gone and all I can think about is the Dunning-Kruger effect I know I had previously. I think the whole goddamned industry has left me behind now and it's scary AF.

I'm sorry Bastage, that's a rough feeling but I have a sense that this isn't really any more true than your previous mindset led you to believe.

I think most ppl feel like this. Maybe you need an infusion of a project or greater "thing" to tackle that ISN'T network related, to mix it up and reinvigorate your learning or joy?

Undergoing treatment is good, even if it feels like it's a blow up your ego or anything like that. It'll put you in a more powerful position going forward to better weather or handle that stuff that is related to those diagnoses.

Maybe refresh your memory and internal dataset by taking a look a collating a bunch of things you do know into some kind of binder or note taking system?

Idk. I'm sorry. I feel like that's coming up to me sooner than later.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I'm a web dev and feel that constantly, all the time. The field moves too fast to stay up to date on everything. If a new project calls for a tech stack that I don't know yet, well, I just learn it as I go.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Maybe nowadays the goal is not have perfect memory but have techniques for adapting to new stuff rather than trying to memorize everything.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
lol at the $2k/mo AWS bill in a region where every single service is off.

This is entirely our own fault for not cleaning things up for what it’s worth. But it’s still very funny - and a testament to the importance of cleanup and cost control! This one was due to stopped RDS instances that were never terminated (and thus restarted), over a thousand EBS snapshots, a bevy of unused volumes, load balancers, and EIPs, etc. really adds up to a surprising amount.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
edit wrong thread

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

What are people deploying for users that have basic video editing needs? We had been using Photos, but that functionality was removed. Clipchamp apparently isn't licensed for business users. Any recommendations?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Openshot? Shotcut?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Think about different ways you can learn it too! I'm pretty bad at learning by studying a manual, but I'm good at learning through doing, and I can usually figure my way through documentation while trying to accomplish a specific task.

Having support people you can call if your coworkers can't teach you as you learn can also be a lifesaver. The majority of my M365 skills comes from what I learned through making oodles of tickets.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

you ate my cat posted:

What are people deploying for users that have basic video editing needs? We had been using Photos, but that functionality was removed. Clipchamp apparently isn't licensed for business users. Any recommendations?

just buy them capcut on their phones

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Got fed up with being asked to learn different tech stacks on the fly to only have the project be abandoned after a month, so I straight up told my boss I'm not learning another thing unless it comes with paid training and a raise correlating with the skills being learned.

I havent been asked to learn how to do our devops departments job since.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

ziasquinn posted:

Openshot? Shotcut?

I hadn't seen these, thanks. I'll look into them.

The Fool posted:

just buy them capcut on their phones

Thanks, but I should have mentioned that this needs to be desktop software that doesn't have an online component. This would be for attorneys and paralegal to trim videos for various case needs, so we have data protection requirements.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Defenestrategy posted:

Got fed up with being asked to learn different tech stacks on the fly to only have the project be abandoned after a month, so I straight up told my boss I'm not learning another thing unless it comes with paid training and a raise correlating with the skills being learned.

I havent been asked to learn how to do our devops departments job since.

While your business’ inability to commit is certainly frustrating, and extra responsibility certainly merits extra pay, this is a bit of a self own and a good way to screw up your future promotion prospects. This is from a practical, not a moral perspective. You certainly deserve extra pay for extra work!

In my limited experience, businesses are very reluctant to pay for training that isn’t reimbursement of self study, and that training tends not to be very high quality when it does exist. On the other hand, learning new things and using them in production is essential for building your skillset so you’re qualified for more senior roles. I’d recommend learning the new things, and being open to learning new things, and then if your company won’t reward you for that, take your new skillset elsewhere.

Refusing to learn new things at all, and worse announcing it, is a good tactic if you’re content to stay in your current role. If you want those higher positions, then I think your stance is counterproductive. If you feel you’re being taken advantage of, it’s probably time to try and find a role elsewhere that’s probably going to pay a lot more.

It’s not fair, but I’ve always had to do the work that qualified me for more senior titles before getting those senior titles and the commensurate pay bumps. Again, obviously companies can and do take advantage of eager know-it-alls like yours truly, to which the answer is again to find a new job if you feel you’ve been treated unfairly.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 10, 2023

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Farking Bastage posted:

You don't have to respond to this, but how is your blood sugar? When my blood sugar was high and basically out of control my brain pretty much stopped working properly. I felt really dumb, I couldn't easily learn new things, and generally my brain didn't work so good. Growing up I was that gifted student that never had to try very hard to do anything, and I learned things super fast.

When my blood sugar is under control things are totally different. I'm guessing you see a doctor regularly, but it's something to check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

ziasquinn posted:

Maybe nowadays the goal is not have perfect memory but have techniques for adapting to new stuff rather than trying to memorize everything.

I'd agree with that, I don't want to generalize but the more communication / information is available, the more you realize that you as a person don't know a huge amount of stuff. Which is fine! Fields, especially tech, have become more varied and in-depth on so many levels.

Adaptability is key, and I would argue is a much stronger skillset to possess than in-depth knowledge about something that may or may not change in the future. gently caress, if you question yourself or if you know how to look stuff up that already puts you ahead of the curve, in any field, imo.

The Iron Rose posted:

While your business’ inability to commit is certainly frustrating, and extra responsibility certainly merits extra pay, this is a bit of a self own and a good way to screw up your future promotion prospects. This is from a practical, not a moral perspective. You certainly deserve extra pay for extra work!

In my limited experience, businesses are very reluctant to pay for training that isn’t reimbursement of self study, and that training tends not to be very high quality when it does exist. On the other hand, learning new things and using them in production is essential for building your skillset so you’re qualified for more senior roles. I’d recommend learning the new things, and being open to learning new things, and then if your company won’t reward you for that, take your new skillset elsewhere.

Refusing to learn new things at all, and worse announcing it, is a good tactic if you’re content to stay in your current role. If you want those higher positions, then I think your stance is counterproductive. If you feel you’re being taken advantage of, it’s probably time to try and find a role elsewhere that’s probably going to pay a lot more.

It’s not fair, but I’ve always had to do the work that qualified me for more senior titles before getting those senior titles and the commensurate pay bumps. Again, obviously companies can and do take advantage of eager know-it-alls like yours truly, to which the answer is again to find a new job if you feel you’ve been treated unfairly.

I both agree and disagree with a loooot of this.

In short, I agree with the take that being open that you don't want to learn new stuff is kinda shooting yourself in the foot, but I disagree with saying that it's also bad to announce it, because if you never put your foot down, then you risk the burn out usually comes associated with spreading yourself thin or being put on projects that lead to nothing, especially if management is limp dicked. ESPECIALLY in IT.

I'm personally of the school of thought that being asked to pick up stuff without training or proper extra pay is borderline exploitative, because well when are you meant to do that? On work hours? When you already have to do stuff to help sure the business runs? Outside of work hours - unpaid? I feel like it compounds with the perception that other people feel like you just don't put in any work while you're just being sent chasing your own tail by management.

I'd also argue that a lot of management staff goes with how good or bad the "vibes" are, and that it is terribly exhausting to deal with the whims of people that do not actually have to put any effort into most projects short of approving / disapproving of it.

It's always a tricky situation to be sure, but I guess a lot of it is context dependent on how much you're being hosed with. Asked to pick up stuff for a project that goes to poo poo? Sure. gently caress it. I learned something. Routinely asked to learn new stuff and not getting anything out of it? That's a whole different ball game.

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 10, 2023