Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

MarcusSA posted:

Blood bowl

Blood Bowl 3 is an absolutely golden example of how to do everything wrong. Insane work by Cyanide, they couldn't have stacked it harder if they tried lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I left my xreal airs at the hotel and nobody turned them in :(

Are they still the best AR glasses for deck, or is there a better alternative?

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Flew part way across the country for a family trip and super glad I took my Deck for the 3.5 hour flights. The unknown passengers next to me enjoyed watching me play Stray both flights. I figured it was a tame enough game I didn't care if anyone looked on. Not like playing BG3 banging my companions or something like that...

Soooo, what are these Xreal Airs, above poster? I haven't kept up on VR/AR stuff in years. A quick Google search piques my interest but I need to find more hands on reviews and information. (Also, I'm sorry you lost them :( they don't seem cheap to lose)

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Essentially just blows up your deck screen to a massive personal theater screen. Works with phone/PC too for movies etc, but I only used it for deck.

You can also get an adapter to have 3dof but it's not really needed if you mostly play laying down.

It's just nice to have as you can really relax, lay down, and play without straining your arms or neck.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hoping between the latest (stable) firmware and me re-calibrating the battery the low battery warnings and cpu/gpu throttling issues clear up. My battery health went from 83% to 95% so I might end up doing it once more to see if I can get it charging back to actually full then using decky to cap charging to 80%.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Well, now I don’t feel so bad about the sale last month because my money just came in: so it wasn’t at all like I just missed it! Finally ordered and waiting on delivery, now!

Harminoff posted:

Essentially just blows up your deck screen to a massive personal theater screen. Works with phone/PC too for movies etc, but I only used it for deck.

You can also get an adapter to have 3dof but it's not really needed if you mostly play laying down.

It's just nice to have as you can really relax, lay down, and play without straining your arms or neck.

I have seen the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode titled “The Game,” so no thank you!
:psylon:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Harminoff posted:

I left my xreal airs at the hotel and nobody turned them in :(

Are they still the best AR glasses for deck, or is there a better alternative?

The 2s are coming out, I think? Seeing people on Reddit talking about them but not sure if they're going through China/Alibaba to get them or not. No idea if they're better or not, but wanted to put that on your radar.

Harminoff posted:

I also love using them with my iPad Mini for watching media. Great for traveling so you can watch Euphoria guilt free.

Very interested in the new iPhone as they apparently work just the same way and would mean one fewer item to bring me traveling too!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Just played ~2.5 hours of CP 2077 on a plane ride using an external 20,000 mAh (@3.7V) battery. First of all, CP plays and looks great if you target 30 fps, it's crazy to be having that experience on a mobile device. And with all of the mods!

This drained the battery pack to around 75-95% which was curious since I'd expect the Deck to give me 1.5-2 hours at that high a sustained load and it has a 5,300 mAh battery. Turns out that the Deck has a 7.4V battery (probably 2x 3.7V cells in series), so that 5,300 mAh @ 7.4V is in reality a 40Wh battery while my 20,000 mAh @ 3.7V is 74Wh.

Given losses in transmission - the external battery gets hot! - and the different durations, it all kinda seems right.

This reddit thread has some good detail in the comments on the battery: https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/om5ccx/how_big_is_the_battery_capacity_of_the_steam/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Thanks for reminding me to charge my power bank.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Does anyone else actually play the mcpelauncher flatpak bedrock edition of minecraft on their deck?

I've had no trouble getting it working but it stutters enough to be annoying. Steam shows it is 60 fps all the time except when it stutters it drops into the teens. It will always happen when you do something like open a chest but it also happens seemingly at random and it kind of sucks.

I use the same flatpak on a (more powerful) pc and it is smooth as butter. But I also think minecraft has pretty low requirements and the deck seems totally capable of maxing out the fps 95% of the time so I don't know what gives.

Minecraft doesn't really have graphics options to lower so I am not sure what to try.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Minecraft is legendarily inefficient in terms of how it simulates and renders, so having it chug every now and then is basically what I would expect

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
That sucks. It does the blip at least once every 10 seconds. But it is smooth on the tiny phone!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It's been a looooong time since I touched Minecraft but iirc the bottleneck is usually CPU, not GPU.

I know that there was a bug with certain types of CPU load where if SMT (threading) was enabled you'd get periodic stutters. This was fixed in SteamOS 3.5, but if you're on the stable release channel you won't have that yet and should probably try disabling it.

edit: you may need decky loader and powertools to toggle SMT off just for Minecraft but it's worth having them installed

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Has anyone gotten the wide-screen, improved graphics pack version of KotOR working on the Deck?

I followed the guide on Reddit, and the game launches, but I'm having an issue.

The cursor doesn't line up with the selection highlight when navigating the menu.

Like, if the cursor is hovering over a menu element, the actual element that is highlighted, and responds to interact functions, is way off to the left. There's also some vertical mis-alignment.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

This is me again offering tech support from memory but it sounds like an issue with the high res menus mod. Have you installed the version that matches the resolution you're running the game at?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Had an ugly moment when I thought the Deck had bricked itself when switching out of Desktop mode - right at the start of a very long week on the road. It was stuck at the "Verifying installation" screen on every restart. First thought it was running a file system check and let it run, but still there after an hour.

TL;DR: The Deck needs to be connected to the network for parts of that verification step, but I hadn't set it up with a new WiFi network at where I'm staying yet. Once I renamed my phone's hotspot to be the same name and password as my home network to which I know it has connected, it got past that screen and booted with no problems.

This is also a useful thing to know: The Deck has A/B OS partitions - maybe just core boot stuff - and can revert to last known working. https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/172def5/stuck_on_verifying_installation_upon_boot_up/

Whew.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Party Boat posted:

This is me again offering tech support from memory but it sounds like an issue with the high res menus mod. Have you installed the version that matches the resolution you're running the game at?

So, I modified the executable, and the instructions said to select the 1024x768 option in the modding program regardless of the desired resolution. I then set the resolution in the ini file to 1281x801 per the guide's instructions.

This is is what I see in game:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

v1ld posted:

Just played ~2.5 hours of CP 2077 on a plane ride using an external 20,000 mAh (@3.7V) battery. First of all, CP plays and looks great if you target 30 fps, it's crazy to be having that experience on a mobile device. And with all of the mods!

This drained the battery pack to around 75-95% which was curious since I'd expect the Deck to give me 1.5-2 hours at that high a sustained load and it has a 5,300 mAh battery. Turns out that the Deck has a 7.4V battery (probably 2x 3.7V cells in series), so that 5,300 mAh @ 7.4V is in reality a 40Wh battery while my 20,000 mAh @ 3.7V is 74Wh.

Given losses in transmission - the external battery gets hot! - and the different durations, it all kinda seems right.

This reddit thread has some good detail in the comments on the battery: https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/om5ccx/how_big_is_the_battery_capacity_of_the_steam/

Yeah my entire experience with cyberpunk 2077 was on the deck and it was great. I saw the DLC is out and I'm tempted to get it, though it's the same price as the base game when I got it on sale. Similarly Starfield looks interesting but not for seventy bucks.

I've lately gotten a streak of games that seem very poorly optimized for the Deck, in that the games don't look particularly demanding yet suck up the battery like crazy and have the fan whirring at full tilt the whole time. Humankind and Warhammer chaos gate were surprisingly taxing.

Someone recommended this Anker 24000 mAh power bank and my only regret is not getting it sooner; it can fast charge the steam deck and the steam deck charger can charge it pretty fast as well.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Annath posted:

So, I modified the executable, and the instructions said to select the 1024x768 option in the modding program regardless of the desired resolution. I then set the resolution in the ini file to 1281x801 per the guide's instructions.

This is is what I see in game:

I'm a bit out of my depth at this point but it looks like the game is scaling / positioning UI elements to the wrong resolution (possibly 1920x1080). Apologies as I've not done the install on deck so I don't know exactly what's gone wrong.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I fixed it, mostly. The UI now fits on the screen. I had to re-run one of the patch files.

However, the mouse still doesn't line up 100%, although it is better, and the top of the screen isn't clickable.

By that I mean that the assorted menu buttons are at the top of the screen, but the mouse can't reach them. There is an invisible barrier preventing the mouse from moving above a certain line.

I think I'll just play KOTOR on the PC...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, I've got a potential RMA issue (or reason for an RMA) if it's even valid. I hope someone here can help.

In short, I think I'm starting to experience temporary burn-in. I have vibrantdeck, at the recommended setting (120? I'll have to check). I was playing the Mega Man legacy collection, and once I was done, I could still see where the energy bars were situated up on the top left, when I quit out and was in my Steam menu. I restarted, just in case it was some sort of bug.

Here's where it gets weird...

When I restarted, I couldn't see the energy bars during the Steam deck loading/splash screen (where there's the Steam logo but nothing else). Then, when I went back into the Steam menu, it was there... But now, about 10-15 minutes out of it, I can't seem to see the burn in anymore. :wtc:

Also, a week ago, I'm now remembering, there was also something in the bottom right, which I thought at the time might've been a small cluster of dead pixels (though now that I think of it, it was more like burn-in).... But that's gone, too.

What's going on? Anyone else experiencing this?

And if I DO have to send it in, would they even accept it for something like this? I've owned it since Oct 3 2022, am I out of warranty?

And would I have to remove the plugins and my copy of F-Zero GX from the system? I have zero experience with any of this, sorry.

gently caress, I don't want to have to send it in, but I also hope it's in warranty still

Edit: welp, my warranty was apparently up a year after it was shipped to me. Can I pay for repairs, then?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 9, 2023

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

It's an IPS screen and they don't have burn in, just a form of image retention that is temporary and will go away. It's possible you have another problem, but you may want to wait and see if it just goes away before making any RMA requests.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah if it was burn-in it would be permanent, what you have is a completely normal thing. Here’s some nerd writing a bunch of poo poo about it:

https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7539

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah if it was burn-in it would be permanent, what you have is a completely normal thing. Here’s some nerd writing a bunch of poo poo about it:

God I love the internet sometimes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

I greatly appreciate this, thank you.

As an aside, because this is something I've been doing since I came to these forums in 2007, I found all of my answers for the RMA process shortly after posting. Turns out they do paid repairs, but I'm extremely thankful that I don't need it.

For the millionth time, thanks goons! :unsmith:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Did they give a quote on the repair? I’m my friend with his busted LB refuses to send his in because he doesn’t wanna go two weeks without it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Detective No. 27 posted:

Did they give a quote on the repair? I’m my friend with his busted LB refuses to send his in because he doesn’t wanna go two weeks without it.

Same.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

No, I didn't ask for a quote, I just googled "steam deck repair outside of warranty", and found some answers. Very glad I don't even need to do that, but I'm very thankful it's an option.

Quick question; there's a YouTube video in that link that kind of 'refreshes' pixels to clear out temporary burn in. I'm guessing no, but is there a way to have youtube installed on the deck so that when I load it up, it just plays that video? I have no desire to use my deck for YouTube but being able to refresh my screen (even though I'm now well aware that that isn't necessary) would be nice.

Is there some sort of single video youtube flatpack or something?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You could create a non-Steam entry for Firefox and in the launch parameters point it at that YouTube page, I think.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

You could create a non-Steam entry for Firefox and in the launch parameters point it at that YouTube page, I think.

I think this is the way. Thanks!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
My screen seems to have a faint glitter pattern when the screen is on but completely black - ever heard of that? Dust or something that got behind the glass?

I don't really mind it, there's no visual issues in normal use, only when the entire screen is black.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Panfilo posted:

My screen seems to have a faint glitter pattern when the screen is on but completely black - ever heard of that? Dust or something that got behind the glass?

I don't really mind it, there's no visual issues in normal use, only when the entire screen is black.

If you have the 512 model and/or an antiglare screen protector that little rainbow artifacting is common to see in certain lighting situations. Might be where it’s coming from?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

BattleBit update means I can no longer join a game without getting "unknown error code: 0"

Sure hope that gets fixed. A new map dropped today and I have been having a ton of fun as of lately.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Vegastar posted:

If you have the 512 model and/or an antiglare screen protector that little rainbow artifacting is common to see in certain lighting situations. Might be where it’s coming from?

Ah, that might be it, yeah.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sonic all stars racing p good

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Super No Vacancy posted:

sonic all stars racing p good

We had a great group from the Steam thread frequently racing *checks notes* a decade ago. Ouch. Real solid game all around!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

All-Stars Transformed was literally the first thing I installed on my Deck when I got it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

still enjoying my steam deck but i don’t understand how a year after release the dumb performance overlay glitch keeps happening

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Gonna be stuck as a passenger for a 5 hour car ride next month. What's a good fun, easy game that I don't necessarily have to pay 100% attention to? I was debating getting Baldur's Gate but that might not really work well with a small screen, no internet, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

BG3 works great without internet.

I'd recommend anything turn-based: Civ games, any JRPG, Pathfinder:Kingmaker/WOTR, etc.