Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Who must go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
Israel: Assad must go!

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Have fun in your new residential/agricultural area! No need to thank me!

:smugdon:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Most satisfying who must go meme ever coming

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

idiot bitch

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Who must go?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

just psychopathic

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

"...except if the terrorism is caused by Israel or the US"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

*booming voice* who must go?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hatebag posted:

still lolling at hamas's tears of the kingdom rear end paragliders being an undefeatable military force yielding the most effective palestinian actions of my lifetime

Nintendo rear end war

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
and its starting

https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1711443987720978442

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Am I incorrect in my recollection that one of the only battles Napoleon ever lost was trying to besiege mostly civilians in Palestine, at Acre?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

smarxist posted:

oh my god, i never looked at the stupid Trump Peace Plan for I/P, but someone just posted the map and its absolutely loving insane ahahahaha

the god damned tunnel, the land set aside for agriculture in barren desert

this is just a Bantustan, lol, everything old is new again

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

chairman xi your expertise is requested

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

https://tenor.com/wywA.gif

She loving sucks so much.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Am I incorrect in my recollection that one of the only battles Napoleon ever lost was trying to besiege mostly civilians in Palestine, at Acre?

bitch thought he was Alexander Reborn

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Should have gotten Lasik before WWIII began

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

HallelujahLee posted:

just psychopathic

yeah Ahahaha whew

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Nonsense posted:

Who must go?

It's so over

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

It's more it doesn't work against a real threat, which we've learned about a lot of the IDF. It was designed to prevent the Israeli population from ever feeling the consequences of relatively minor incursions into Palestinian areas. Each battery can intercept, iirc, about 40 rockets. That's a lot for rockets built in secret in underground workshops and hidden in a tiny area.

However, a single battery of Grad MRLS, the oldest and most common rocket artillery in use by the regular armies of Israel's neighbours, fires 120 rockets, so already you see the problem. Iron Dome basically serves the same purpose as the border fences and walls - not a real defence against an enemy you take seriously, but something to keep the boot on the neck of a captive people.

Hamas having capabilities that cause real damage - knocking out tanks, overrunning garrisons, attacking into Israel, and firing large salvos of rockets, was not something anyone expected or prepared against.

Let's be real here though - an enemy with air, artillery, and infantry capable of large-scale combined arms operations sitting inside your country amongst a civilian population that you can't effectively police and who constantly receive material aid from your neighbors (who all also hate your guts) because of your own genocidal rear end policies isn't something you can realistically prepare against. Israel manufactured the worst possible version of this situation for themselves and now they're going to make it worse as quickly as their planes can turn around for more sorties.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Nonsense posted:

Who must go?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Frosted Flake posted:

The Haitian Revolution was Napoleon's Waterloo.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
the aljazeera live page has an "audio only" setting if anyone wants to hear the talk but not see the images. It's pretty surreal and terrifying just hearing things anyway so maybe dont etc, because earlier they had a live interview with a doctor taking shelter and mid interview a bunch of airstrikes struck very near and there was a good 20-30 seconds of "holy poo poo he just died didnt he?". He didn't though and just kept calmly talking afterwards. Can't even imagine the lifelong trauma one must have to be able to keep calm in such a situation.

DTI

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

stop posting that dumb lib fatyucks news twitter

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Bibi is posting videos of Israel bombing civilians, totally "not terrorism"

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Oglethorpe posted:

al jazeera arabic using command and conquer sprites lol what

would love this as a gangtag

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

spain... based?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Who must go?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RehlhOi6Lpg

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

FormaldehydeSon posted:

would love this as a gangtag

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

PawParole posted:

Once upon a time—isn’t that how stories are supposed to begin?—there was a group of people who believed that their god had promised them a particular corner of the Middle East, and decided to take him up on the offer. It so happened that conditions just then were propitious for their project. The cultural politics of the major Western powers of the time favored it, and not merely in an abstract sense: money and weapons could be had for the attempt, and a great deal more could be made available if the project succeeded in establishing a foothold.

Even more crucial was the state of the Middle East at that time. The history of that region has a regular rhythm of systole and diastole that can be traced back very nearly to the earliest clay-tablet records: periods of centralization, in which a single major Middle Eastern power dominates as large a fraction of the world as the current transport technology will allow, alternate with periods of disintegration, in which the region fragments and turns into a chessboard on which powers from outside the region play their own power games. At the time we’re discussing, the Middle East was in one of its diastole phases, fractured into small quarrelling states, and the sudden seizure of a strategically important part of the region drew only a local and ineffective response.

So a new state came into being, surrounded by hostile neighbors, and a great deal of the shrill self-justifying rhetoric already described came from both sides of the new frontiers. Several of the major Western powers supported the new state with significant financial and military aid; of at least equal importance, members of the religious community responsible for creating the new state, who remained back in those same Western nations, engaged in vigorous fundraising efforts to support the new state, and equally vigorous political efforts to get existing governmental support maintained or increased. The resources thus made available to the new state gave it a substantial military edge against its hostile neighbors, and its existence became enough of a fait accompli that some of its neighbors backed away from a wholly confrontational stance.

Still, the state’s survival depended on three things. The first, and by far the most crucial, was the ongoing flow of support from the Western powers to pay for a military establishment far larger than the economic and natural resources of the territory in question would permit. The second was the continued fragmentation and relative weakness of the surrounding states. The third was the maintenance of internal peace within the state and of collective assent to a clear sense of priorities, so that it could respond with its full force to threats from outside instead of squandering its limited resources on civil strife or popular projects that contributed nothing to its survival.

In the long run, none of these three conditions could be met indefinitely. Shifts in cultural politics and, more importantly, in the economic stability of the Western powers of the time turned the large subsidies supporting the state into a political liability that eventually lost out in the struggle for available wealth. Meanwhile, in the Middle East, the power struggles between competing statelets began to give way to a new era of centralization. Finally, the internal cohesion of the state broke down in power struggles between different factions, and too many resources had been committed to politically necessary but practically useless projects such as the support of large religious communities that did nothing but pray and study the scriptures. The arrogant certainty that the state could always overcome its enemies and that the Western powers owed it the subsidies that paid for its survival put bitter icing on an already overbaked cake, and all but guaranteed the final disaster.

And that, dear reader, was why the Crusader kingdom of Jerusalem fell to the armies of Saladin in 1187, and why the last scraps of the kingdoms of Outremer, as the Crusaders called the land now known as Israel, were mopped up by Muslim armies over the century that followed.

forgot to quote this when I read it, but very good post. thank you.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

dry water?

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Congressman on MSNBC saying they have a resolution but cannot bring it to the floor without a speaker and doesn't think they'll have one in the next few days

who would have guessed that holding fake crises on a schedule would pose a security risk

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Congrats to Israel if they singlehandedly undo decades of bloody ethnic and sectarian division in the region by making the main contradiction, colonialism and imperialism, extremely obvious again

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

good news to the starving, thirsty people of gaza, theres stockpiles of food and water right across the border

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Atrocious Joe posted:

Congrats to Israel if they singlehandedly undo decades of bloody ethnic and sectarian division in the region by making the main contradiction, colonialism and imperialism, extremely obvious again

nah the gulf monarchies, egyptian fascists and such are firmly tied to the hip with israel for their survival and will go down with that ship

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Frosted Flake posted:

Yep, the third defeat of his entire career.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
wait napoleon only lost three battles?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

yeah, dehydrated water. just add water and yer good to go

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

wait napoleon only lost three battles?

i think they meant third in order

lost 10 out of 81 according to wiki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lOA1zqag24

quote:

In higher quality. MME Exclusive: Christian singer Julia Botrous honors fighters in Gaza. With subtitles in English. Her newly released 2014 music video "Righteousness Is My Weapon" refers to militant movements in Gaza. Released on July 25, 2014 under Al-Mayadeen television.

Julia is an icon in the Arab world for her patriotic songs dedicated to Lebanese and Palestinian resistance against Israeli occupation.

Julia was born in Beirut, Lebanon on April 1, 1968 into a Greek Orthodox Christian family to a Lebanese father and Palestinian mother.