Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Negostrike posted:

That island close to Alaska? That's St. Lawrence

Alaska was part of Russia during the US Civil War. It wouldn't be weird to include it here except they left out Hawaii.

Other questions: Why did they leave out the number for Maine? Why did they cut off Oklahoma's panhandle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Nevadas impressive considering it only had 10,000 people

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

and the map also shows that lots of people in connecticut were quisling pieces of poo poo

edit actually looks like almost all of new england had sub-par rates of participation, except possibly rhode island

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 8, 2023

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

EasilyConfused posted:

Alaska was part of Russia during the US Civil War. It wouldn't be weird to include it here except they left out Hawaii.

Other questions: Why did they leave out the number for Maine? Why did they cut off Oklahoma's panhandle?

The Oklahoma panhandle for 40 years belonged to no territory or state.

It was originally part of Texas but it would have placed Texas above the latitude for the Missouri compromise so Texas surrendered it to maintain slavery

Literally nobody cared enough about it to even give it any sort of government for 40 years until they just kind of attached it to Oklahoma

It’s strange since it and the dakotas are the only two places where they’re not using modern borders. Nevada was much smaller even as a state with Vegas belonging to Arizona and the eastern fifth being part of Utah and Wyoming was actually part of the Dakota territory, and Idaho extended farther east

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It was only a few hundred troops, and they stayed in Nevada pretty much doing frontier stuff, but yeah lots of enthusiasm to complete the split from Deseret and get established as a proper independent entity. Battle Born, etc.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

did mormons lean one way or another or just focused on self-preservation? other utopian religions from the area had pretty high union participation rates if they weren't pacifist iirc

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

i say swears online posted:

did mormons lean one way or another or just focused on self-preservation? other utopian religions from the area had pretty high union participation rates if they weren't pacifist iirc

They were focused on self-preservation. They practiced both slavery and polygamy and had been attacked by the us military in the past and had already rebelled against the us government 3 years earlier so it was kind of assumed they would try to secede but they didn’t.

Lincoln basically left the Mormons alone as much as possible including not enforcing anti-bigamy laws because he didn’t want another front to fight in

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

The Mormons had some....history....with the US government already. They weren't exactly pals.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i actually didn't realize how late utah was admitted into the union. idaho had a much smaller population when it became a state

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

and the map also shows that lots of people in connecticut were quisling pieces of poo poo

edit actually looks like almost all of new england had sub-par rates of participation, except possibly rhode island

It's because there's way fewer people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1860_United_States_census#Population_of_U.S._states_and_territories

I dunno how many people are in a division and how participation percentages work out, but Massachusetts has a third the population of New York and a third the divisions, Connecticut has an eighth of the population of New York and an eighth of the divisions. I don't think think there's any especially obvious places that skipped out on their duty aside from the southern states for obvious reasons.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Utah was an independent theocracy for a while and might've gotten away with it if they hadn't randomly massacred some passing settlers because they thought they were American spies.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

#MapsWithoutTasmania

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Vermont had the unusual practice of sending reinforcements to existing units rather than considering each new muster its own battery or regiment. We ended up sending a solid 55% of males between 15 and 40, and losing 8.5% or so.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mandoric posted:

Vermont had the unusual practice of sending reinforcements to existing units rather than considering each new muster its own battery or regiment. We ended up sending a solid 55% of males between 15 and 40, and losing 8.5% or so.

yeah I poked around population numbers a bit after that post and was shocked to see Vermont and NH had the same amount of people in 1860, but I guess makes sense when considering farmland was more telling of high populations than it is today

same with Iowa, it sure filled up quickly in the 1850s

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mandoric posted:

Which amounted to 5 guys in absolute numbers but still very impressive

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Elizabeth having an especially wide border to New South Cornwall, they _really_ despise her.

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It’s strange since it and the dakotas are the only two places where they’re not using modern borders. Nevada was much smaller even as a state with Vegas belonging to Arizona and the eastern fifth being part of Utah and Wyoming was actually part of the Dakota territory, and Idaho extended farther east

They're not using the modern border between Nebraska and South Dakota either. There is a small "divot" in the north-central part of Nebraska, between the current border and the Niobrara River, that was considered part of (South) Dakota until 1882.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BuckT.Trend posted:

They're not using the modern border between Nebraska and South Dakota either. There is a small "divot" in the north-central part of Nebraska, between the current border and the Niobrara River, that was considered part of (South) Dakota until 1882.

A similar thing happened with the southeastern tip of the Dakota Territory in 1871, due to a change in the course of the Missouri River.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Utah was an independent theocracy for a while and might've gotten away with it if they hadn't randomly massacred some passing settlers because they thought they were American spies.

This would be a fun alt history to explore. A completely landlocked and boxed in nation would be so weird in North America. Or South Africa I guess, but there's a different history there.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BonHair posted:

This would be a fun alt history to explore. A completely landlocked and boxed in nation would be so weird in North America. Or South Africa I guess, but there's a different history there.

It wasn't ever legally independent. The mormons applied for statehood and the feds said lol no, stay a territory weirdos. Landlocked and no borders though? Not a problem.

The State of Deseret/Utah

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 9, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

BonHair posted:

While the mormons settled Utah and wanted to make it into a sort of homeland, they never really bottled themselves up there. There were a few more settlements made in various places like Beaver Island in Michigan. They may have sat out the Civil War, but they did go through the effort of sending en to fight in the Mexican-American War. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_Battalion Their original proposal also didn't really want to be landlocked, but it's fairly obvious why that was rejected.

bonus

Technically, we in theory do have a number of landlocked boxed-in nations in the US since there's a whole weird thing about how indian reservations supposed to have some kind of sovereignty of their own. There's definitely plenty of steps in US-native relations where if things happened differently, we may have had genuinely independent nations within the US now. Although on the other side of things, maybe it would've been better if they were fully integrated as citizens instead.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There was a very pat narrative about human migration into the Americas for years, but like all "just-so" stories it turned out to be bullshit. Now nobody knows anything.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

This Oklahoma is almost as desolate as the real one!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

can you actually grow anything where iowa, kansas, and oklahoma are on that map? always thought it was just uneventful, bland desert.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

abelwingnut posted:

can you actually grow anything where iowa, kansas, and oklahoma are on that map? always thought it was just uneventful, bland desert.

:thejoke: there’s like 5000 people living in that entire area and maybe three roads.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Honj Steak posted:

:thejoke: there’s like 5000 people living in that entire area and maybe three roads.

Then it’s a bad joke since those three states are not desolate deserts

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Honj Steak posted:

uh im pretty sure iowa contains broken hill on that map which has 17k people in it. admittedly its not good pastoral land.

abelwingnut posted:

very little of that area constitutes a desert and i would argue none of it is bland, its some of the most starkly beautiful landscape in the country and people lived there for tens of thousands of years

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

very little of that area constitutes a desert and i would argue none of it is bland, its some of the most starkly beautiful landscape in the country and people lived there for tens of thousands of years

This also applies to Iowa, Kansas, and Oklahoma

I know but hear me out it's beautiful when you get out of corn/wheat hell and into the remaining plains

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Great Plains used to be called the Great American Desert.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the high plains are incredibly underrated imo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Byzantine posted:

The Great Plains used to be called the Great American Desert.

But they’re not anymore, because Rain Follows the Plough. :blessed:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The great replacement, but it already has happened

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's just a guy called Roman, the placement is incidental.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Ancient Egyptians dont even own all of Egypt :psyduck:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Does Iceland get to play too?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Guavanaut posted:

Does Iceland get to play too?

They’re clearly part of the Ancient Egyptians.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Googling 'four marvelous civilizations' did not disappoint

America is probably in Southeast Asia or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Googling 'four marvelous civilizations' did not disappoint

America is probably in Southeast Asia or something

Is hard to separate middle east from europe. They all have these funny religions with Jerusalem has capital.

And USA governement buildings does have a Neoclassic Style.

This is where the USA Pope lives.

And is not some ruins in Italia or Greece. But in a town in america.

Tei fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 12, 2023