Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

twistedmentat posted:

You need to buy seeds constantly, this is by far the worst part of the game. Even if you use fertilizer the chances of you getting enough seeds to plant is pretty small.

If you use gold star tier fertilizer you'll always at least break even, and later in the game you can have automated plots for all crops that have a large initial investment and an ongoing opportunity cost, but no actual ongoing seed/fertilizer/material cost.

A large amount of the game's features (automation via zombies) that mitigate the grind are locked behind getting into the back area of the basement area, so push for it if you've not gotten in there yet. Alchemy is also extremely important; though it's trial-and-error methodology sucks when you just want One Specific Thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jawnycat posted:

If you use gold star tier fertilizer you'll always at least break even, and later in the game you can have automated plots for all crops that have a large initial investment and an ongoing opportunity cost, but no actual ongoing seed/fertilizer/material cost.

A large amount of the game's features (automation via zombies) that mitigate the grind are locked behind getting into the back area of the basement area, so push for it if you've not gotten in there yet. Alchemy is also extremely important; though it's trial-and-error methodology sucks when you just want One Specific Thing.

Where is the woman in the swamp? I found navigating it really annoying because there's a lot of places that look like you can walk over it but you can't.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

twistedmentat posted:

Where is the woman in the swamp? I found navigating it really annoying because there's a lot of places that look like you can walk over it but you can't.

You approach the swamp from the north side, and then the path circles all the way around in a loop to the house. There is a bridge you can build from the other side to cut down on trips back. So bring some building supplies.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
A great don't starve challenge, is starting in spring with the robot.

Playing subnautica below zero, I got to the end in early access and now I started a new game entirely. Lost about 40 minutes of play time last night, because I thought "wouldn't it suck if I encountered a bug? I haven't saved in about 40 minutes". I saved it, which made the game soft lock. About 5 minutes later I quit and reloaded .... my previous save. I'm now saving every ten minutes.

It's fun! Yes it's not quite as good as the first one but it's fine, and almost as good. I like the big difference it makes when you finally start building your own base. I think in the original you start out with the fabricator. In this one you find it instead, fairly early.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I am still in awe how Below Zero is worse than the sum of its parts. A lot of the parts are better than in OG Subnautica, just progression feels so much worse.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Antigravitas posted:

I am still in awe how Below Zero is worse than the sum of its parts. A lot of the parts are better than in OG Subnautica, just progression feels so much worse.

I couldn't put my finger on it, but 2 hours into BZ I put it down and never felt even slightly compelled to open it again. Weird because I binged my Subnautica playthrough and thought I wanted more, but BZ just wasn't it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

I couldn't put my finger on it, but 2 hours into BZ I put it down and never felt even slightly compelled to open it again. Weird because I binged my Subnautica playthrough and thought I wanted more, but BZ just wasn't it.

Same and I think a lot of it comes down to it being Subnautica 2. It's hard to pull off that magic of exploration twice, since if you finished the first you've already felt the fear of the depths. It also goes from "wow I wonder what this new technology can let me do" and turns it into "tell me what I need to do in order to get the Mantis suit"

Progression was certainly an issue like others have said though. The original had a lot of areas with distinct appearances and a small variety of materials that required you to move from place to place more. S2 felt a lot more vertical, where you had small areas with a wide variety of materials that fed you everything you need until you abruptly found that some random rock was missing and had to go find it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

BZ was smaller in scale, had more unskippable story content and forced gimmick sections like the motorsled or remote controlled penguin. It just felt like the gimmick sequel, when the original did everything right, including not giving us too much of the story at any given time, letting us discover it (silent protagonist helped with this).

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I liked BZ and finished the game but it felt like I had to look up what to do next a lot more than I did with Subnautica 1. I also didn't care the snow mobile zone at all.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

twistedmentat posted:

As Kain said the swamp path is a big spiral, it's got a few offshoot dead-end paths but so long as you keep going clockwise you'll reach the center eventually. The shortcut bridge takes ~10 poo poo wood planks, good wood planks and nails each to build, just so you know what to bring. Once you've mined all the iron in the spiral and built the bridge, there's never a reason to go through it again.

thread posted:

-general BZ talk-

Never did like the voiced protagonist, and the several reworks they did to the story really did a number on it. I really liked where it was going in one of the earlier builds (where your sister was alive and in the station orbiting the planet, sending you aid packages and you sending up research stuff) but that all got scrapped into nothingness.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
My biggest problem with Graveyard Keeper fishing is that there's no way to automate it. Zombie anglers or zombie fishing boats would be a lot of fun.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I almost bought Intergalactic Fishing during the sale, but then I decided it was maybe too chill.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think BreathsEdge is another example of a game that had a lot of potential to be great for the same reasons as Subnautica, but kind of whiffed. Both games are kind of similar in spite of different environments.

BreathsEdge is a lot more lighthearted, story driven and linear. One thing working for Subnautica also is that even though both games have oxygen as a limiter, in Subnautica you can always go to the surface-you're mainly gated by depth more than anything but on the surface can freely travel through most of the world all the time. But since in BreathsEdge you're in space, that means you're tethered to oxygen sources which kind of nudge you to the next areas of the game. Then you get the space car and barely have to deal with oxygen anymore.

You can build a base but there's only a few things that require base modules to progress, so really the base just exists as infrastructure to support the 1 or 2 things you cannot make otherwise.

I guess what I really loved about Subnautica was the Cyclops, which was like a mobile base that could carry a seamoth/prawn suit in it's vehicle bay and store a ton of stuff. Also getting attacked by leviathans and having water leaking and fires breaking out gave very 20000 leagues under the sea feel to me. The DLC comes up short because the Seatruck is a pale follow up to the cyclops. It's cool that it's modular but that's about it.

BreathsEdge is gonna have a sequel and I hope it's more sandbox oriented but I'm not holding my breath (see what I did there?)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Breathsedge's largest problem was that it was trying to be funny and wasn't

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

CuddleCryptid posted:

Here are your tutorial messages delivered by a robotic voice that is trying to be deadpan, while also sped up and is now almost incomprehensible.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I could maybe stand not funny, but it's second largest problem was that the gameplay was tedious as poo poo

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

But there’s a button that makes you pee. Pee! And a chicken.

The height of comedy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Watching a video about Necesse sure looks like its come a long way.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

grate deceiver posted:

I could maybe stand not funny, but it's second largest problem was that the gameplay was tedious as poo poo

It was far worse in early apha, where tools only got like 6 uses before they broke.

Subnautica but in space has potential and I hope they explore that in the sequel.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MarcusSA posted:

Watching a video about Necesse sure looks like its come a long way.

It's honestly fantastic, I played it nonstop for about a week. Combining rimworld lite colony management with terraria/minecraft style dungeon diving is just so perfect. The game's got a very satisfying power curve too. I highly highly recommend Necesse.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

explosivo posted:

It's honestly fantastic, I played it nonstop for about a week. Combining rimworld lite colony management with terraria/minecraft style dungeon diving is just so perfect. The game's got a very satisfying power curve too. I highly highly recommend Necesse.

Seconding this. It's mostly really chill, except the boss fights, but there's only a couple that you can trigger accidentally, so it's usually not a problem to carve out a giant room to fight the boss in. Except hte Pirate King. He's kind of a jerk, but you can recruit him after you beat him, and then he sells you gold furniture and pirate-y stuff (a boat, a cannon, and I think a parrot, plus other things). You can also now give your villagers armor and weapons, and recruit them to adventure with you (the game scales up enemy density and health to compensate). Raids can get annoying (stop killing off my only animal handler!), but they're thankfully optional, so I eventually just turned them off.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Messed around with the Enshrouded demo that dropped with NextFest, it seems like it’s got some solid bones to it. Combat felt decently engaging and there’s a fun sense of exploration to the world.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

explosivo posted:

I bought Necesse awhile back and then never played much of it, I think I was distracted by something else at the time. These posts are making me want to give it another go. Anything I should know/tips for starting out, or is it all pretty self explanatory?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I found it pretty self explanatory many moons ago.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I found it pretty self explanatory many moons ago.

Yeah I just started a new save and it walks you through the basics pretty quickly.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

How solo-friendly is Necesse? I've had it on my wishlist for a while but never bit because the trailers focus pretty hard on the multiplayer aspect.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Necesse looks great but I'm waiting for it to hit 1.0 before I jump in. Too many EA experiences I've undercut for myself by playing every content addition piecemeal.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MerrMan posted:

How solo-friendly is Necesse? I've had it on my wishlist for a while but never bit because the trailers focus pretty hard on the multiplayer aspect.

It's great solo, and you do get summons and can hire party members that follow you so you can have backup in combat.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

What separates Necesse from being top-down terraria? I get that the building mechanics are more complex but is there rimworld style interactions and random events?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CuddleCryptid posted:

What separates Necesse from being top-down terraria? I get that the building mechanics are more complex but is there rimworld style interactions and random events?

It's mostly the colony management stuff going on that draws the rimworld comparison. Colonists you hire need a place to live/food to eat/gear/nice rooms, etc. There's work orders that can be made for any crafting station to automate crafting if you have villagers that can do it, there's job priorities, farming, gear set rules/allowed zones, etc. A lot of the same tools that you have in Rimworld. It's great being able to set up work orders for example to smelt any ore into bars indefinitely, so whenever you drop ore in a chest someone will come grab it and start smelting it and storing it where you want it so when you come back from dungeon diving you have chests full of materials to use. Fishermen can be paid to bring back fish, miners can be paid to go mining and bring back ore, you can also enlist your villagers to come down into a dungeon with you. You get raided much like in Rimworld but the Necesse raids are just a steady stream of relatively easy goons flowing into your base and isn't really anything to write home about.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'll also be trying out Necesse, a big fan of basically everything it seems to model after... and for once, not gonna spend hours of watching starting guides and tips before playing and just going in without knowing much. Maybe my expertise of the genre will help me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TeaJay posted:

I'll also be trying out Necesse, a big fan of basically everything it seems to model after... and for once, not gonna spend hours of watching starting guides and tips before playing and just going in without knowing much. Maybe my expertise of the genre will help me.

Everything felt really natural tbh when I first started my new game.

I put on a YouTube video of AA playing fresh and I definitely didn’t miss anything or do anything “wrong”

It’s a great little game and I’m glad to see how far it’s come in the like 5 years (or whatever) of EA ifs had lol

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MarcusSA posted:

I put on a YouTube video of AA playing fresh and I definitely didn’t miss anything or do anything “wrong”

I've also been watching AA play it and fall in love with it over the last couple streams. Was pretty fun when he found out after like one and a half streams that you could make work orders and he got 100x more excited about the game

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

explosivo posted:

I've also been watching AA play it and fall in love with it over the last couple streams. Was pretty fun when he found out after like one and a half streams that you could make work orders and he got 100x more excited about the game

Yeah I don’t normally watch 2 hour plays but I got sucked into his.

The game also has some wacky weapons and summons and poo poo. It’s awesome.

Edit: I just checked and the game is $4.99 till the 19th and I could easily recommend it for that price.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 11, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

explosivo posted:

It's mostly the colony management stuff going on that draws the rimworld comparison. Colonists you hire need a place to live/food to eat/gear/nice rooms, etc. There's work orders that can be made for any crafting station to automate crafting if you have villagers that can do it, there's job priorities, farming, gear set rules/allowed zones, etc. A lot of the same tools that you have in Rimworld. It's great being able to set up work orders for example to smelt any ore into bars indefinitely, so whenever you drop ore in a chest someone will come grab it and start smelting it and storing it where you want it so when you come back from dungeon diving you have chests full of materials to use. Fishermen can be paid to bring back fish, miners can be paid to go mining and bring back ore, you can also enlist your villagers to come down into a dungeon with you. You get raided much like in Rimworld but the Necesse raids are just a steady stream of relatively easy goons flowing into your base and isn't really anything to write home about.

Thanks for the clarification, it sounds good. If the thread likes it then I assume it's good for it's own sake as it stands now, which is usually the issue with EA games of this type. I've played a lot of them where it ends up being "middle of game coming soon" written on a cobwebbed door.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Necesse is very solo-friendly and also pretty player-friendly - like making raids optional, and having systems be relatively simple and mostly explained (there are a few exceptions).

A few tips for new players:
You can't get an Animal Handler until after you beat the Pirate boss (unless that's been changed and I didn't notice), so don't worry about it yet. Making pens for livestock and capturing a couple of sheep and cows early on (before depopulating your starting island) is a good idea. You can bring a roped cow/sheep back home with a recall scroll. You only need 2, and a feed trough with wheat in it (the only thing it accepts), and they'll multiply. You can make shears and a bucket at an anvil (I think), which will let you shear sheep and milk cows. This includes sheep and cows in neighboring friendly villages. Animal Handlers basically automate getting wool and milk, so I get why they're gated. Also, you can set a limit for the livestock zone (from the colony menu), and when you have a handler, they'll kill the animals that exceed the population limit, so you'll also build up beef, mutton, and leather, in smaller quantities.

The "intended" order for the biomes is Forest/Plains > Snow > Dungeon (the "creepy castle" place with the blue candelabras and void enemies; also you can recruit mages in them for free) > Swamp > Desert > Pirate King > Deep Cave versions of all the biomes, in the same order (except there's no Deep Dungeon, afaik). I put "intended" in quotes because there's nothing stopping you from going to the "next" biome (or later) before you kill the boss of your "current" one. I actually like to dip into the next biome before fighting some of the later bosses and do a little exploring and mining to get better gear. All the biomes have bosses and unique ores now, I think (including the Deep Caverns, some of which were missing unique ores). I think there's also been some post-Deep-Desert-Cavern stuff added, but I haven't gotten there yet in my current game.

Trees and bushes can grow in any biome, not just the one they're found in. I have a garden with fruit trees/bushes from all over - lemons, bananas, coconuts, blackberries... exotic foods from far away climates!

Yes, you move slowly at first. There are armor sets and trinkets that will speed that up. Same with mining speed - better tools, trinkets, potions, and (eventually) food can all make you dig faster.

Every boss will drop one of 4 items each time you kill them, and the first 4 are guaranteed to be one of each item (to clarify: each boss has a set of 4 things, plus they all drop other loot as well).

Your summoned creatures appear to be invulnerable to damage. At least, I've never noticed one dying. Armor sets can give a bonus to the amount of summoned creatures you can have out. I've gotten up to 5, but I bet more is possible. Snowmen summons look silly but they're cool (:haw:) because they have a ranged attack.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 12, 2023

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Power Walrus posted:

I just want 7D2D with Rust’s graphics and combat. 7D2D would be my perfect game but I find the combat so disconnected and boring.

New game The Front just out on early access is said to be a cross between 7d2d and Rust. Not tried myself. Youtubers more positive about it than steam reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ6EhvXwLB0

Icarus, Enshrouded, and many other 2023 games annoy me for feeling tough to run on my 3060ti/1440p/i5-12500, which isn't stellar but isn't a shitbox. Icarus defaults to 'Low/Ultraperformance DLSS'. Fizzy antialiasing TAA distracts me.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I eyeballed that but anything promising aspects of Rust reads to me as “kicking over sandcastles” than stuff I tend to like. That said I’ll wait and see!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

re: Necesse

I guess a legit tactic to get your colony started is to sail to neighboring island and raid their beds, wheat and candelabras

Building squares for settlers is a bit more of a chore than in say, Rimworld, though. Especially when in this game too they all want their own separate box. Although I'm guessing I'm not meant to hoard every possible recruit in the beginning. For now I have the elder, one random villager, guard and a farmer. There's a hunter roaming my island whom I probably want to recruit too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

chird posted:

New game The Front just out on early access is said to be a cross between 7d2d and Rust. Not tried myself. Youtubers more positive about it than steam reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ6EhvXwLB0

Icarus, Enshrouded, and many other 2023 games annoy me for feeling tough to run on my 3060ti/1440p/i5-12500, which isn't stellar but isn't a shitbox. Icarus defaults to 'Low/Ultraperformance DLSS'. Fizzy antialiasing TAA distracts me.

Icarus isn't well optimized, it's better than it was at release by a country mile, but it's still got a long way to go. I'm using a 3090, 3950x and 128gb of ddr5 ram and it still stutters and hops around at times.