Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
If I wanted to make 40K a tv series then I'd do Star Wars The Clone Wars: Gaunt's Ghosts. If I wanted to make it a live-action film then I'd make Alien: Eisenhorn. Big war epics work better as animated shows than live-action, unless you're willing to drop a pile of money on it like Band of Brothers (which GW won't and shouldn't attempt). They can portray the scale a lot better, and the ensemble cast approach translates well to voice-acting. Live-action in this setting would best reserved for suspense or horror: The filmmakers can afford a narrower focus with a few good actors that can carry a character-driven narrative.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
Even though you'd want to do Eisenhorn first, I feel like the first Ravenor book works best for adaptation. Crazy small scale fight sequences, the circus scene would be amazing and the climax happens on board a ship and on an alien cantina type area. All eminently affordable for a high end TV drama.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
You'd definitely need need some kind of animated introduction just to set some exposition.

Like a monk narrating as a stylized, vague animation (almost cave paintings) whizzes through man first reaching for the stars, the pinnacle of man's achievement, the coming of old night, the rise of the emperor, the mythical crusade, the fall of Horus and his ascension to the throne where he watches over us all (stained glass window of Big E on throne flickering by candlelight). Keep it very vague and quick. Like a child's story.

Then pull back through the church as it gets bigger and ridiculously bigger, pulls out of the window and it's on the back of a titan in a giant gently caress-off war. Show Title Card.

Then you can switch to Eisenhorn flying to the hibernating world in his little sector or a guard unit being called up or whatever story you're doing and the audience already has a loose idea that "this world is stupidly far into the future, everyone is crazy and WTF was that walking cathedral with a loving chainsaw a minute ago?" without getting fatigued by it. And you keep it mythical and undefined so you can scale the story to how you need it.

Soldiers talk about the Emperor? Oh yeah, that distant figure from the start, right? They think he's real? Is he?

Talk about the ruinous powers? Oh yeah, the ones the monk said corrupted that Emperor guy's son, right?

The Emperors angels? Oh yeah, we saw that artwork. So they're like, soldiers, right? Pfft! Bet they're just dudes in armour.

Inquisitors? Guess it's the whole church thing going on. Guess they don't like whatever corrupted that Horus guy, right?

Then gradually ease the audience in and save your budget for big payoffs, like a drop pod of astartes saving the day with insane violence or a greater daemon manifesting or whatever, You've set the scene and can leave it to the audience to decide if it's all a myth or if it's the literal world and the fans don't have it spoilt with an overly specific exposition dump.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Yeah but the first Ravenor book is also kinda boring and the climax twist that these meth like drugs are turning people to Chaos won’t really hit with new fans.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Dark Coil books as inspiration and make the movies independent film rather than even trying for mass appeal.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Sextro posted:

Dark Coil books as inspiration and make the movies independent film rather than even trying for mass appeal.

Sort of like Love, Death and Robots but with 40k shorts.

Of course, that would involve GW allowing talented people to submit work without getting sued into poverty

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If you can film Dune you can film 40k.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

AnEdgelord posted:

If you can film Dune you can film 40k.

yeah 40k isnt blood meridian levels of hosed up, you can make it, hell its tamer then GOT in lots of ways. i am more curious when we get a trailer, my guess end of this year.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
You can make it, but there is something very quintessentially 40k that is hard to put a finger on, that GoT or Dune don't have. There is an anime-like element of silliness that is still somehow cool and believable. Like, chaining a book to yourself is very silly. But several big characters do it in 40k and its not just an aesthetic thing.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Pron on VHS posted:

You can make it, but there is something very quintessentially 40k that is hard to put a finger on, that GoT or Dune don't have. There is an anime-like element of silliness that is still somehow cool and believable. Like, chaining a book to yourself is very silly. But several big characters do it in 40k and its not just an aesthetic thing.

Have you ever actually read Dune?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah 40k isnt blood meridian levels of hosed up, you can make it, hell its tamer then GOT in lots of ways. i am more curious when we get a trailer, my guess end of this year.

Trailer for what

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
My only take is I don’t agree you have to be so precious with featuring space marines. If you want a relatable human protagonist to be the center of a show you could make it about a lotara sarrin type, probably a woman but doesn’t have to be, but someone who has to run a fleet and also be basically a mother for a chapter of man children astartes.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Telsa Cola posted:

Trailer for what

I think Henry Cavill is producing, and I assume is starring in, some 40k show or movie. I hope it's Cain and he's Cain and we get like Charlie Day to play jurgen

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Olanphonia posted:

I think Henry Cavill is producing, and I assume is starring in, some 40k show or movie. I hope it's Cain and he's Cain and we get like Charlie Day to play jurgen

Ah, yeah I am aware of that but I would be surprised if we saw a trailer for that before like the end of next year. I haven't heard about any movement on that outside him signing on.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I don’t think there is any actual show production happening yet

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

I was howling at the "Legio Cataegis Retirement Centre - CLOSED" bit.

Brilliant.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Warden posted:

I was howling at the "Legio Cataegis Retirement Centre - CLOSED" bit.

Brilliant.

I was a fan of that and the Erda, don't touch my poo poo post it note in the lab. Also the license plate on the eldar vehicle.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Cavill is doing Eisenhorn and filming hasn't started yet but there have been claims it is actively moving forward as a project

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I think the best bet for a 40k show or movie would be a totally original story set on a new planet. Any attempt to adapt a book would either be unfilmable or too expensive or would have some other weird issue, IMHO

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 18, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dog_Meat posted:

Sort of like Love, Death and Robots but with 40k shorts.

Of course, that would involve GW allowing talented people to submit work without getting sued into poverty

Oh that actually happened to someone and isn't just some unhinged nonsense?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Telsa Cola posted:

I was a fan of that and the Erda, don't touch my poo poo post it note in the lab. Also the license plate on the eldar vehicle.

Emwattnot is amazing, he's done literally hundreds of these cartoons (most of them as 40k ports of popular memes) and all of them are filled with little jokes in the background. And he almost always works in Alpharius as well.

https://imgur.com/a/BWwkAKD

a recent one:

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 9, 2023

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I always thought that 40k was unfilmable until I saw Dune. I'm not sure if it can be applied to a TV series, which let's be honest would be the best fit for Eisenhorn.

As Cavill is unattached right now, I'm hoping he's working on this.

Plucky Brit fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 9, 2023

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

On the whole film adaptation subject, I think it's important to not limit your imagination. Tempering a creative exercise such as this with a bit of realism is useful, but you can't be so cynical that you assume the most boring alternative and give up there. Take the whole space marine thing as an example: Using 'Inquisitor: Martyr' as a point of comparison, the space marine character you meet there is a big, weird freakish judge holden rear end motherfucker and everything about him is unnerving. "Only have space marines at the end" is making a few assumptions, namely that they're obviously gonna be rolling in in squad strength, shouting for the emperor and being space mariney, which would get monotonous and take away from the impact of astartes dread in the long run. Brotherhood of the Snake (which is a personal favorite even though it's a bit divisive) shows how alien a single space marine can appear to a baseline human while still exploring the humanity of space marines, other works really focus on the monstrous and inhuman aspects of space marines. Caius Thorn (from Inquisitor: Martyr), to conclude that point, is interesting because he's not just Johnitus Wickium being cool and invincible. He gets ripped almost in half pretty early on and then he's just a weird gently caress hanging around being ominous. Weird fucks are fun to tell stories about.

All of this goes for the general setting as well. It doesn't have to be the same skull-faced spire copy pasted forever in space verdun, that's making the assumption that the work is gonna take the path of least resistance and effort. Eisenhorn alone showcases a plethora of different locales, cultures and planets. The galaxy is vast, and the Imperium looks vastly different from sector to sector and from planet to planet, it's boring to assume that the whole film or series is just gonna look like a darktide level (no shade, some of those levels looked real good, but it's a game). The joy of creative exercises is that you're not limited by budgets and production constraints, you can just imagine a real good art and design crew and decide that everything is just gonna look loving killer.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

D-Pad posted:

Cavill is doing Eisenhorn and filming hasn't started yet but there have been claims it is actively moving forward as a project

You're conflating two things. An Eisenhorn show was in very early development by the guy who did Man in The High Castle but the last news on it was in 2020 so it's either dead or very dormant.

Cavill has signed a deal with Amazon to develop a TV show in the 40k universe but it isn't confirmed as Eisenhorn (though he is on record as a fan of them).

Whether the earlier deal has become part of the later deal is up to conjecture.

If the show had started shooting or gotten beyond early development stages we'd have had an announcement of some kind, casting notices, etc.

I'd hope they'd shoot in the UK and I'm in the UK industry and haven't heard anything about it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Garro has to be the single dullest character in the Heresy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is a lot of competition for that accolade

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I've always said the best possible 40k tv show is a three season reteling of the Gothic War. You shoot it like a cross between battlestar galactica and downton abbey, following the bridge crew, fighter pilots on a Dictator class carrier, and some poor rating that was stolen from an imperial world and thrown into the hell of working the base of the ship. The rating if the audience stand in and gets given the "welcome to the universe, maggot' exposition, while the bridge crew advance the story and the fighter pilots provide the action.

Season 1 deals with pirates and whatnot - orks and aeldari, while introducing the world. Throw in a pirate rival, occasional references to the mysterious 'Archenemy', and those are your bad guys. You have Inquisitor Horst in the background seeing patterns that something is coming. It ends with the chaos fleet arriving for the Battle of Rebo, and Blackstone 3 (the home base for most of the first season) being captured.

Season 2 introduces the planet killer, we learn about Abaddon, the other blackstones are captured, and ends with Tartarus exploding. The main character ship gets like, one space marine. It is presented like they are in Astartes.

Season 3 is the slope down to the chaos fleet being brought to bay and killed, with the aid of the aeldari.

It's got everything you need from a tv show to keep my attention:

1,) Spaceships

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can successor chapters have successors or do they all draw direct lineage from the original legions.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Can successor chapters have successors or do they all draw direct lineage from the original legions.

Mechanically/functionally yes, but you still basically say you are a succesor of the ultramarines or whatever iirc.

Like it's all basically ultramarine genestock anyways, but in theory a stable enough succesor chapter could submit the geneseed and have another chapter split off from them.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

gently caress, I'm free of anthologies now that I've reached Titandeath, huh. Praise Him on Terra.

Reminds me though, now that I'm nearly in the endgame: any side stories that are (relatively speaking) must-reads? I'm thinking the primarchs series the various novellas and whatever else is out there.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Arc Hammer posted:

IIRC part of the geneseed tithe from the various chapters is used to establish new chapters and I'm reasonably sure there are multiple successor chapters in the fluff that are directly descended from earlier successor chapters.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

More great quotes from Chris Tester:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF6AM2nLLA0

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 11, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

Trailer for what

the show that amazon is making. I am going to assume we will get a teaser or some poo poo in the next couple months or at least more details.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Anyone have any opinion on the Rose in Darkness or Rose at War sororitas audiobooks?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Anyone have any opinion on the Rose in Darkness or Rose at War sororitas audiobooks?

Never heard those, but I have a friend who plays Sisters and bought them saying they are cringeworthy. Especially the singing parts.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Lorgar and Guilliman exchange at the end is great. A madman and a guy trying to deal with a madman and being completely baffled by the words he's hearing

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the show that amazon is making. I am going to assume we will get a teaser or some poo poo in the next couple months or at least more details.

There will be no teaser as they haven't even begun shooting yet. Principal photography and casting on large shows like that is announced when it happens. There won't be a teaser or trailer until shooting has wrapped. I finished S3 of Alex Rider back in March and there still isn't a trailer out for that.

They'll maybe announce more but it is so early development I doubt they've even got scripts yet.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So that Pariah show is only 3 episodes. I am kind of at my wits end with Warhammer tv. I wanted to support what they're doing, but getting a new episode of something, anything, is like.. months of nothing. then a trickle of something. I like the fact that they throw in a free mini (Tho this years selection is dogshit), as they look cool, and the cost of those alone are close to the cost of the service for a year. I don't paint too often these days. I feel like that entire service should be free at this point to pull in new fans. My hope was within two years they'd have the Astartes guy pumping out 12 episode seasons every 6 months with a huge team backing him up.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 12, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Philthy posted:

So that Pariah show is only 3 episodes. I am kind of at my wits end with Warhammer tv. I wanted to support what they're doing, but getting a new episode of something, anything, is like.. months of nothing. then a trickle of something. I like the fact that they throw in a free mini (Tho this years selection is dogshit), as they look cool, and the cost of those alone are close to the cost of the service for a year. I don't paint too often these days. I feel like that entire service should be free at this point to pull in new fans. My hope was within two years they'd have the Astartes guy pumping out 12 episode seasons every 6 months with a huge team backing him up.

yeah. i feel like its gonna end up being like a subchannel on amazon or something at some point.

a lovely king posted:

There will be no teaser as they haven't even begun shooting yet. Principal photography and casting on large shows like that is announced when it happens. There won't be a teaser or trailer until shooting has wrapped. I finished S3 of Alex Rider back in March and there still isn't a trailer out for that.

They'll maybe announce more but it is so early development I doubt they've even got scripts yet.

sorry. i am dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya I dunno how you get a studio like M2 to make such a cool 40K show, and then only order up 3 episodes of it.

At least with conventional Hammer and Bolter animations like the Interrogator and Blacktalon series we got a full seasons worth of 9 and 6 episodes respectively.

Interrogator has probably been my favorite thing to come out of WH+ so far.