Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

HYT for an E-5 is 16 years, so it's entirely possible on active duty. Dunno what the recent advancement rates are for IT, though if a NAM is worth one point hopefully a NM is worth at least a couple.

I'm guessing he meant that he intended to make chief prior to 12 years, but I initially read this as "every good sailor should go to mast at least once during their career".

Some of my absolute favorite SNCOs to work under were red-striper E-6s and E-7s. Kinda like mustang officers, they just had a way less lovely vibe.

(There were exceptions, of course. Not a hard and fast rule.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
its entirely possible he sucks at testing

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

You get gold after 12 years regardless of NJP now.

Usual snowflakes and participation trophies etc.

(I was a gold first for like 3 months)

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Wingnut Ninja posted:

HYT for an E-5 is 16 years, so it's entirely possible on active duty. Dunno what the recent advancement rates are for IT, though if a NAM is worth one point hopefully a NM is worth at least a couple.

I'm guessing he meant that he intended to make chief prior to 12 years, but I initially read this as "every good sailor should go to mast at least once during their career".

Thanks for the info regarding HYT.

And no, he was insinuating that you should make chief before the 12 year point. I have no clue if he ever made it. He was kind of a lovely sailor so I assume he made senior chief.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

lightpole posted:

In Honolulu for 2 days on the 11th, 25th and 8th if anyone is around and needs a drink.

shoot me a dm. I'll be around

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Godholio posted:

Hale Koa's beach bar makes a well-priced and drat fine mai tai.

quite literally one of the worst spots to grab a drink. cheap rear end booze is cheap for a reason. I'll kick in the extra few bucks to not drink plastic bottle liquor.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

McNally posted:

I did a lot of research and have concluded that the Hale Koa has the best mai tai in Hawaii

at least I think I did. That's what the scribbled, nearly unintelligible notes I found in my pockets said.

Rum fire
Duke's
Moku kitchen

Hale Koa uses basement liquor. bottom shelf is a full floor above it.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

bro how the gently caress are you going to be a gold loving IT2?!!?! I made IT1 twice in 10 years.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

About the dude being a gold IT2. The only thing I can think of is that he cross-rated over and is not doing so great for test knowledge in an IWC rate. When I was active about a decade ago, we had a crossrate from the Seabees who was a good dude, great at Navy stuff, but struggled with IS work compared to peers. Thankfully we were Staff and were about to get him CAPed to IS2 and then he made IS1 eventually. If I needed Navy stuff done or interacting with ship's company that weren't Ops folks, he was my guy; if I needed intel analysis or a powerpoint done, I had another IS3/IS2 to do that.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Nick Soapdish posted:

About the dude being a gold IT2. The only thing I can think of is that he cross-rated over and is not doing so great for test knowledge in an IWC rate. When I was active about a decade ago, we had a crossrate from the Seabees who was a good dude, great at Navy stuff, but struggled with IS work compared to peers. Thankfully we were Staff and were about to get him CAPed to IS2 and then he made IS1 eventually. If I needed Navy stuff done or interacting with ship's company that weren't Ops folks, he was my guy; if I needed intel analysis or a powerpoint done, I had another IS3/IS2 to do that.

literally both times I made IT1 I had nothing but my 3.6 PMA straight up 3.0 P evals, only had 4 award points. no time in rate. made it first time up both times up. If you cant make IT1 you should not be an IT period. It's like 30+% to IT1. So every 6 months the top 30% rolls off. If you cant eventually be in that top 30% rerate BM.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nick Soapdish posted:

Gonna agree with this take.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Let people do what they're good at, try to help them get better at the poo poo they're not good at... Doesn't seem like rocket science?

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Wibla posted:

Let people do what they're good at, try to help them get better at the poo poo they're not good at... Doesn't seem like rocket science?

Unfortunately in my experience 60-80% of IT's are trash. Can barely follow the MRC's even if they do they have no comprehension of what they are actually doing. Constantly zeroized the SKL. Frequent security violations. The few good one's usually jump ship after 8-10 years when they know enough to get contract jobs. In my experiences my ITC's barely knew how to log into NMCI. I had one who was good at KMI, but he was a vault rat and couldn't tech to save his life, he couldn't chief either, but that's another discussion.

The biggest issue is A and C schools basically now have a zero wash policy. They WILL push you through. Back in my day if you failed A+. you washed out of A school, if you failed Sec+ you washed out of C school and were basically reduced to being a radioman only as admin rights required Sec+ ( and still does for all other branches).

Without a wash mechanism to weed out the tards we get stuck with a ton of IT2's who dont know poo poo from shoeshine due to the 100% advancement rate to E5.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Wibla posted:

And yet it completely escapes so many SNCOs.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Lemniscate Blue posted:

And yet it completely escapes so many SNCOs.

SNCO's are too busy eating cookies in the mess and sniffing their own jenkem to notice what the JE actually do. Unless of course its a thick E3 latina.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Arione posted:

Unfortunately in my experience 60-80% of IT's are trash. Can barely follow the MRC's even if they do they have no comprehension of what they are actually doing.

I got to do an audit of IT div's 3M deck on the 22.

75% of their cards had a note like "we don't know how to do this" and then they just.... didn't do it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Arione posted:

Rum fire
Duke's
Moku kitchen

Why would you want to mix good liquor with fruit juice? You drink good liquor neat and your use crap liquor with mixers.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

McNally posted:

Why would you want to mix good liquor with fruit juice? You drink good liquor neat and your use crap liquor with mixers.

My guy, you are drinking the wrong mai tais. In fact they probably arent even actual mai tais. There is absolutely zero fruit juice in a maitai, only 1 oz of citrus (lime)

2 ounces of 17-year-old J. Wray Nephew Jamaican Rum ( any aged gold rum will do, I prefer Zacapa XO or diplomatico blue)
½ ounce Holland De Kuyper Orange Curaçao (contreau is a better substitute)
½ ounce French Garnier Orgeat (almond syrup, sold as orgeat syrup in most higher end liquor stores usually by finest call or trader vic's DO NOT BUY TORANI ALMOND)
¼ ounce Rock Candy Syrup (made your own simple syrup, but use rock sugar instead of granulated)
Juice from one whole lime

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Elviscat posted:

I got to do an audit of IT div's 3M deck on the 22.

75% of their cards had a note like "we don't know how to do this" and then they just.... didn't do it.

color me shocked. now send the whole division to NJP

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Hale Koa has the best tasting mai tai on Oahu regardless of the price of its constituent ingredients, but if you wanna pay 3x the price for a worse mai tai at Duke's then go right ahead.

(p.s. if there's no orgeat syrup in it it's just sparkling tropical cocktail)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

McNally posted:

That'd a damned bad take. Fruit juice can rescue bad booze, but good booze can elevate fresh fruit.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

McNally posted:

Youre a bad person and I hope you feel bad about this toxic masculinity. Don't tell me how to drink my liquor. I want some fresh strawberries blended in, maybe a little bit of lime juice, and I'm gonna enjoy the gently caress out of it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it’s ok some people just have bad tastes.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

lightpole posted:

Youre a bad person and I hope you feel bad about this toxic masculinity. Don't tell me how to drink my liquor. I want some fresh strawberries blended in, maybe a little bit of lime juice, and I'm gonna enjoy the gently caress out of it.

you must be a sub guy.....

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I'm a civilian in the merchant marine. Crab Dad and I started building relations in June so I figured I should continue the effort.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

lightpole posted:

I'm a civilian in the merchant marine

This is a Navy thread, pack your bags so we can RHIB you ashore.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Arione posted:

This is a Navy thread, pack your bags so we can RHIB you ashore.

Except the crane on the LPD works around 25% of the time so it’ll be half a day before the rhib can get in the water.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Hekk posted:

Except the crane on the LPD works around 25% of the time so it’ll be half a day before the rhib can get in the water.

I'm from the Zumwalt's, we just poo poo the boat out of back from our wet bay.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Arione posted:

Rum fire
Duke's
Moku kitchen

Duke's and Moku were also good. But I don't do $18 drinks often.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

What I remember from drinking at the Hale Koa bar is having a lot of fun, and getting an awful headache from all the sugar before I could catch a buzz.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Arione posted:

color me shocked. now send the whole division to NJP

Only Nukes are trained to do things like "know that maintenance is not optional" on submarines, sorry.

E: sorry to my coner compatriots, but I watched 2 nukes get masted, suspended busts and ½ months x 2 for a tagout violation that had no adverse effect on people or equipment, then watched 2 a-gangers get their's dismissed after blowing all of aft trim into the bilge because they didn't "have the right level of knowledge" when they guessed what position a valve was in and hung a tag on it.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 9, 2023

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I've met very few good ITs but I think at this point it's easier for me to say I've met very few good Sailors in general. I don't know if it's c schools getting easier/worse, curriculum development, all the bullshit a Sailor has to do thats not his job, etc but everytime I'm onboard for a tech assist or an install I have to fix like 40 other things and give a weeks worth of training.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

PneumonicBook posted:

I've met very few good ITs but I think at this point it's easier for me to say I've met very few good Sailors in general. I don't know if it's c schools getting easier/worse, curriculum development, all the bullshit a Sailor has to do thats not his job, etc but everytime I'm onboard for a tech assist or an install I have to fix like 40 other things and give a weeks worth of training.

Yeah, plus the Navy focuses more on how well you slob a knob rather than if you know your job. To make matters worse IT's dont even do the entire A school curriculum any more. They get half of it (3 months) sent to the fleet, and then they go back to san diego or Pensacola for "part 2" like 6 months to a year later. and then its only 2 weeks.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Arione posted:

Yeah, plus the Navy focuses more on how well you slob a knob rather than if you know your job. To make matters worse IT's dont even do the entire A school curriculum any more. They get half of it (3 months) sent to the fleet, and then they go back to san diego or Pensacola for "part 2" like 6 months to a year later. and then its only 2 weeks.

They tried to do that with FC's for a long time. They called it master/journeyman/apprentice and the idea was you'd get more technical training the longer you were in because the Navy was sick of losing FC/FCA's after one enlistment. It never happened though.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Dukes has the best Brunch

Kalapawai Deli has the best breakfast burrito

Lanikai is the best beach with the best rotating volleyball crew.

The 3am hot dog guy has retired and all hope is lost.

Nashville's remains the lmao option

Thus I have spoken and made such truths known

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Arione posted:

I'm from the Zumwalt's, we just poo poo the boat out of back from our wet bay.

I spent a day on the Zum back in 2018 and I distinctly remember running into a bunch of engineers of trying to solve the problem of water shortening out the electric motor for the wet bay door.

lol

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Arione posted:

My guy, you are drinking the wrong mai tais. In fact they probably arent even actual mai tais. There is absolutely zero fruit juice in a maitai, only 1 oz of citrus (lime)

2 ounces of 17-year-old J. Wray Nephew Jamaican Rum ( any aged gold rum will do, I prefer Zacapa XO or diplomatico blue)
½ ounce Holland De Kuyper Orange Curaçao (contreau is a better substitute)
½ ounce French Garnier Orgeat (almond syrup, sold as orgeat syrup in most higher end liquor stores usually by finest call or trader vic's DO NOT BUY TORANI ALMOND)
¼ ounce Rock Candy Syrup (made your own simple syrup, but use rock sugar instead of granulated)
Juice from one whole lime

Rock candy syrup is typically just 3:1 simple syrup. I make mine with demerara sugar for a hint of molasses flavor. You can also make your own orgeat if you’re a psycopath; It’s just fresh-pressed almond milk made into a 2:1 simple syrup. (Adjust your syrup to account for the liquid you used to make the almond milk.)

Also, strong recommend for Smith and Cross rum.

Why yes I’m on a slippery slope, why do you ask?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

MrYenko posted:

Rock candy syrup is typically just 3:1 simple syrup. I make mine with demerara sugar for a hint of molasses flavor. You can also make your own orgeat if you’re a psycopath; It’s just fresh-pressed almond milk made into a 2:1 simple syrup. (Adjust your syrup to account for the liquid you used to make the almond milk.)

Also, strong recommend for Smith and Cross rum.

Why yes I’m on a slippery slope, why do you ask?

Sounds more like a sticky slope to me.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

The 3am hot dog guy has retired and all hope is lost.

Thus I have spoken and made such truths known

The one outside otooles or mooses because either is a travesty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Laranzu posted:

The one outside otooles or mooses because either is a travesty?

I thought Mooses burnt down/went under?