Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Poppers posted:

Oh loving great. Now we’re going to have this forums usual suspects parroting le epic Father Pixzaballs :imunfunny: for the next loving forever. This has to be the worst possible outcome of this situation.

his name is pizza ball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Lol jesus the Israeli army arrests and prosecutes 700 Palestinian kids a year?

those are the ones that survive

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lol jesus the Israeli army arrests and prosecutes 700 Palestinian kids a year?

Sounds low

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

The UN doesn't have any power or authority to do anything and mostly exists to legitimize western interests on the international stage which is why the UN is isolated in America and not literally anywhere else

America very much hated the UN for the last couple of decades

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Poppers posted:

Oh loving great. Now we’re going to have this forums usual suspects parroting le epic Father Pixzaballs :imunfunny: for the next loving forever. This has to be the worst possible outcome of this situation.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Poppers posted:

Poppers posted:

Seems mayhaps I’ve struck a chord no?

Poppers posted:

Genocide… ftw!

pizza balls

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

webcams for christ posted:

thank you, father pizza balls

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Shut the gently caress up

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Poppers posted:

Genocide… ftw!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Poppers posted:

Seems mayhaps I’ve struck a chord no?

freakeing EPIC gbs 2.1 posts

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Too Many Birds posted:

tehran is surrounded by mountains it would be an extremely difficult city to attack

I just want to say I appreciate this joke

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

webcams for christ posted:

thank you, father pizza balls

Atrocious Joe posted:

The Italian born Cardinal Pizzaballa

HallelujahLee posted:

hezbollah and pizzaballa versus israel

Mia Wasikowska posted:

father pizzaballa ftw

Homeless Friend posted:

grazie papa pizzaballs

pizza ball

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
well aside from whatever the hell is going on right now,

https://twitter.com/Dauragon/status/1711400116106510602

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

SURGE BAIBEEEEEE

*wolf howl*

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Jake Tapper is asking Kirby if the SEALS will be sent in to save the US citizen hostages

Kirby is saying they won't talk publicly about that option

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I've got pizza balls of steel

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

well aside from whatever the hell is going on right now,

https://twitter.com/Dauragon/status/1711400116106510602

the everpresent sinophibia seeping through

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Typo posted:

America very much hates the UN

If we actually hated the UN we would have left by now, get real

The US has veto power over anything impactful the UN can do and can literally just ignore everything else because the UN is incapable of sanctioning or punishing the US without the support of the security council (which the US has veto power over)

The US loves the UN. It's just a very easy political target for people who can get riled up one way or another because they weren't paying attention in civics class and never figured out the UN was just an extension of American power

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Atrocious Joe posted:

Jake Tapper is asking Kirby if the SEALS will be sent in to save the US citizen hostages

lmfao theyre going to crash another helicopter

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
It's CARDINAL Pizza Balls. He didn't get ordained a bishop and incardinated by the Pope himself to be called "Father".

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

If we actually hated the UN we would have left by now, get real

The US has veto power over anything impactful the UN can do and can literally just ignore everything else because the UN is incapable of sanctioning or punishing the US without the support of the security council (which the US has veto power over)

The US loves the UN. It's just a very easy political target for people who can get riled up one way or another because they weren't paying attention in civics class and never figured out the UN was just an extension of American power

that guys a dumbass

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Rules Based International Order

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Atrocious Joe posted:

when i was a kid i always thought navy ("gay" branch) seals were fail whereas delta force was cool.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

sweat drips down my furrowed brow as i close the wonton wrapper around the mozzarella

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What could they even do?

Send in peacekeepers, to watch from the sidelines and do nothing?

The UN doesn't have any power or authority to do anything and mostly exists to legitimize western interests on the international stage which is why the UN is isolated in America and not literally anywhere else

It would have made so much more sense to have the UN in the Mediterranean somewhere but instead we put it two thousand miles out of reach of any countries other than America and our hat

Canadian Forces Major Paeta Hess-Von Krudener – stationed as a United Nations peacekeeper in Lebanon – was killed on July 25, 2006 when the Israeli Air Force dropped a bomb on his UN post. Since the time of the incident, the Israeli government has claimed its attack on the UN post was an accident. Canada issued the results of its inquiry into the incident on Feb. 1, 2008. Unfortunately, this claim of the Israelis rings hollow in light of the specifics of the incident.

What did the Canadian inquiry into the incident reveal?

The Canadian Board of Inquiry (BOI) concluded that the incident which killed Hess-Von Krudener was “tragic and preventable,” and that “the IDF [i.e. Israeli Army] is responsible for the death of Major Hess-Von Krudener.” This conclusion was based on an analysis by the BOI of UN and IDF protocols in place at the time of the incident. (It is important to note that Israel refused to honour the Canadian BOI’s requests for access to IDF personnel and information related to the incident. )

UN peacekeeping operations in southern Lebanon have long-established communications links with the IDF – links that were frequently used as Israel advanced its war operations in southern Lebanon in the days leading up to July 25th. Peacekeepers systematically reported all incidents of the IDF firing close to their positions, and the UN commanders were frequently required to protest such attacks, and demand that they be called off. On the day that Hess-Von Krudener was killed, three distinct waves of Israeli attacks involving both artillery and bombs converged on his UN bunker (starting at 12h11, at 14h18, and at 18h29), and all three triggered formal communications of protests from the UN in Lebanon to the IDF.3

The final wave of attacks – starting at 18h29 – was so intense that the UN command initiated explicit communications with the Israelis at multiple levels of command (e.g. “you are killing my people”), and made plans to evacuate the UN peacekeepers at the post. Nevertheless, the post was destroyed around 19h30 when the Israeli Air Force dropped a massive bomb on the site. This final attack occurred approximately 40 minutes after protests for the 18h29 attack had been lodged with the IDF.

Why is it difficult to believe the attack was an Israeli accident?

The IDF has admitted to destroying the UN bunker that sheltered Hess-Von Krudener, but its explanations of the incident as an accident are highly unconvincing:

- The weapon that killed Hess-Von Krudener was calibrated and targeted to destroy the UN bunker. The bomb that Israel dropped on the bunker was a 500 kg. GPS-guided Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM.) The UN bunker was built to withstand attacks from 155 mm artillery – the munitions used earlier in the day – but could not withstand an attack from this “bunker busting” bomb. The IDF would not presumably have used this bomb if it didn’t believe it was attacking a fortified bunker. Also, as a satellite-guided (GPS) munition, the bomb did not “miss” some other target, but was directed precisely to the UN bunker as a target.

- Israeli claims that the accident was the result of use of old and flawed maps was preposterous. The UN bunker at which Hess-Von Krudener was stationed had functioned as a UN post for over 30 years. Both the UN in Lebanon, and the Lebanese government extensively documented thousands of Israeli reconnaissance flights over Lebanon in the 2-3 years leading up to the war of 2006. Finally, the fact that numerous Israeli attacks had already been “called off” from the post – even earlier that day – makes such claims sound entirely unpersuasive.

- There was no evidence of Hezbollah activity in the vicinity of the UN post at the time Israeli attack. Israel had also at one time suggested that the bomb was errant fire intended for Hezbollah activity nearby. A detailed Human Rights Watch report on this and other attacks surveyed the scene in the days immediately following the attack, and found no evidence of Hezbollah activity (e.g. munitions casings, other equipment, dead fighters) in the area.

Why might Israel have deliberately targeted the UN bunker?

While faulting the IDF for the incident overall, the Canadian BOI does not speculate as to how the IDF allowed the attack to occur. Rather, the BOI accepted Israel’s explanation that the incident was the result of an Israeli “operational error.” Assuming Israeli “good will,” the BOI claims that the facts support this finding. As “facts,” the BOI report cites:

- Israeli “Duty.” The BOI assumes that Israeli adherence to the Convention on the Safety of UN and Associated Personnel is a “fact” which would prevent an intentional attack. This despite the fact that 36 of 45 UN positions in Lebanon reported Israeli hits or near hits throughout the war.

- Israeli knowledge of the foreseeable results. The BOI assumes that, knowing the consequences of the attack, Israel would never have allowed such an attack to proceed. This despite similar past incidents: e.g. the bombing of the UN in Cana in 1996, the sinking of the USS Liberty in 1967.

Cynthia Hess-Von Krudener, widow of the dead Canadian peacekeeper asserts that Israel intended to destroy the bunker. She says that in the days prior to his death, her husband emailed her with concerns about Israeli bombing of Lebanese schools and hospitals. One of his emails speaks about Israel waging “a campaign of terror against the Lebanese people.” Ms. Hess-Von Krudener believes that Israel destroyed the UN post to silence the reports of the peacekeepers: “Obviously they [the Israelis] were unhappy with what they [the peacekeepers] were observing. Maybe that post was in the way as well. I know my husband was reporting war crimes. And I guess [the Israelis] don’t want to deal with that.”

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

William Bear posted:

It's CARDINAL Pizza Balls. He didn't get ordained a bishop and incardinated by the Pope himself to be called "Father".

thats right

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Freedom for all of Palestine, death to state of israel and all its running dogs.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Send tapper to gaza

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

William Bear posted:

mama mia

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

William Bear posted:

strictly speaking its His Eminence Pizzaballa

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i wonder if theres anything in the bible about how easy it is to cross between palestine and egypt

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
also the AJE UN reporter guy makes me lol, reminds me of the "succulent chinese meal" guy

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

hopefully the next pope is pizzaballa

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

"Not every Palestinian supports Hamas" seems to be the liberal line about why Israel should not do a genocide. Hearing it on the BBC (from Owen Jones?) and MSNBC

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Poppers posted:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Tom Guycot posted:

Freedom for all of Palestine, death to state of israel and all its running dogs.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

William Bear posted:

Pope Francis' statement on the war was pretty bland, but the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem, the chief Catholic bishop in the region, called the Gaza Strip an "open-air prison" the other week. Good for you, Cardinal Pierbattista Pizzaballa! And your name is awesome, too.

"sea to the river" for pizza ball!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

eeyyyyy im makin da pizzaballs

im walkin' hereaaaa