Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I know that ambassadors are mostly figureheads and diplomacy is done by State officials, but seems like at least the first 3 of these guys would be useful to have right now...

https://x.com/RobbieGramer/status/1711128961550270673?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I feel like people making Biden out as a boogeyman during the primaries has ironically helped his image (at least in places like this), because most of the time he's exceeding those expectations (even if exceeding said expectations isn't actually helpful enough), and when he legit does something lovely it doesn't feel like a betrayal because it doesn't run counter to the biden people have in their heads

It's a bit of a reverse of how when Obama campaigned then governed as a centrist, people who somehow saw Lenin on his poster and expected a leftist firebrand felt they'd been swindled.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

NomNomNom posted:

If they lost money wouldn't they deduct those losses from their income?

Depends how you structure the 25% minimum. If you do it as 25% gross revenue that's bad, but the closer to net you put taxes the more stuff rich people can exempt that they really shouldn't because one of the ways rich people currently achieve near zero tax is by being able to write down 'losses'(like depreciation on their building) against income and bank those losses year to year for windfalls. The classic ways are to donate to a pocket charitable foundation you corruptly control(Like say, donating your portrait to them and writing off its cost, then renting it for a dollar a year), or ironically, running a 'farm' that mostly exists to speculate on agricultural land, where to plant a crop of suburban housing in 5 years and run lots of purchases through the currently very generous farm exemptions that give you big tax rebates. US farms have massive tax advantages, especially as a way to hold land vacant for speculative purposes because nearly all vacant land is farm zoned(but much of it isn't actually viable for farming, its a historical artifact from the westward expansion). You need to be very careful not to make farms go broke trying to make 'farms' not viable as a tax shelters.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Killer robot posted:

It's a bit of a reverse of how when Obama campaigned then governed as a centrist, people who somehow saw Lenin on his poster and expected a leftist firebrand felt they'd been swindled.

It's almost like people are used to creating their own headcanon and become irrationally upset when reality doesn't go the way they've scripted it.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Re: The attack on Israel.

Let's be honest, as much as some folks here would like us to do nothing more with Israel over the Palestinian issue, what's happened this week will mean it's at LEAST a decade before any folks not already convinced that Israel are in the wrong will budge even an inch towards separating the two. The goal of the Palestinians to actually fight Israel's encroachment got set back years, if not decades. I'm sure Hamas feel like they've "Struck a gigantic blow against the opressors", but really, it's the equivalent of seeing a land mine, and determining it's a great idea to jump and down on it, then wondering why it exploded.

So, if you were looking towards pushing the BDS of Israel into the more-mainstream parts of society, well, I wouldn't hold my breath.

And as for Biden's statement on taxes, we really need to just scrap the tax code entirely. There's just too many exemptions (capital gains, death taxes), loopholes (moving funds overseas to avoid being taxed), and just plain shenanigans. How about a new law that states you can't pay less then the minimum tax rate on ALL reported profit. So, some business reports 2.5 Billion in profit to stockholders? Fine, we''ll take that 2.5 billion as a MINIMUM to figure out a corp's tax burden (so if it's a 22% tax rate, then 22% of 2.5 billion, or what, $500million roughly?)

They need to burn it all down root and tree and rebuild it

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Killer robot posted:

Considering that one of his main campaign platform positions was the creation of a public health care option, I think pretty much everyone was qualified to feel swindled when he dropped that almost instantly after winning.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

SirFozzie posted:

Re: The attack on Israel.

Let's be honest, as much as some folks here would like us to do nothing more with Israel over the Palestinian issue, what's happened this week will mean it's at LEAST a decade before any folks not already convinced that Israel are in the wrong will budge even an inch towards separating the two. The goal of the Palestinians to actually fight Israel's encroachment got set back years, if not decades. I'm sure Hamas feel like they've "Struck a gigantic blow against the opressors", but really, it's the equivalent of seeing a land mine, and determining it's a great idea to jump and down on it, then wondering why it exploded.

I don't agree that the attack is counterproductive for Hamas. They've geopolitically re-centered Israel-Palestine, probably indefinitely halting Israeli normalization with Saudi Arabia. And they've caused the worst disaster in the history of Israeli intelligence & military at a time when they needed to show credibility to disillusioned Palestinians.

Just like Bibi benefits from launching campaigns into enemy territory, so does Hamas, even though in both cases the net result is just profound misery for everyone.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

They've embarrassed the Israeli military and intelligence services. The reaction will be to be crush more apartment buildings than ever.

It's kind of silly to prognosticate on the big winner here, because nothing will be accomplished but suffering. The Israeli center and center-right is already siding with Bibi again.

Now I realize "believe in the peace process" is also near meaningless when unemployment is 50% and 10% of people in Gaza have access to clean water. But this comes at a moment where Bibi was historically weak. That's now down the drain, he can happily play Big Strong Wartime Leader, despite the incompetence and extremism of his regime being a root cause of this.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I mean you have to separate Hamas and Palestinians, the attack can be good for Hamas and bad for the population of Gaza.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

James Garfield posted:

I mean you have to separate Hamas and Palestinians, the attack can be good for Hamas and bad for the population of Gaza.
Correct

Also Hamas as it is now doesn’t exist without the complete blockade of Gaza

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

The entire dynamic both major current political centers in the conflict benefit from is the conflict, Hamas dies if a reasonable solution exists (that is, if Israel engages in the peace process in good faith) and Likud is propped up by the worst kind of hardliners and has historically acted provocative to stir up violence whenever it needs political support (this one just looks to be robbing their actual security needs to prop up settlements in the west bank). Hamas are terrorists with an ideal that cant be achieved, their ideal is incompatible with peace.

The US keeps international intervention from working to defuse the situation, and everyone in power has a reason to fuel the fire. Something like this was inevitable, and as always its the civilians who end up burned.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They want gentle backdoor negotiations,
:same:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
National Security Council spokesman just announced that Hamas attacked a music festival in Israel last night and gunned down at least 260 people.

9 Americans who were attending are confirmed dead, several more injured, and several more missing. No confirmation if the missing Americans were part of the group that was kidnapped or just unaccounted for.

https://twitter.com/weijia/status/1711355401982050609

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 9, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Uh, what about non Americans?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tiny Timbs posted:

Uh, what about non Americans?

260 - 9 = 251.

The NSC is just announcing missing/dead Americans from the music festival because they are a U.S. government agency and are warning people who had friends and family there.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sorry I took “gunned down” as injured and dead, not dead

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Efb

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Again, not clear if the 251 were fatalities or fatalities and wounded.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tiny Timbs posted:

Sorry I took “gunned down” as injured and dead, not dead

- 260 people total killed at the music festival.

- "At least" 9 Americans dead (i.e. 9 confirmed dead)

- Roughly 100 additional people were taken hostage/are missing.

- About a dozen Americans injured and some unknown amount missing/unaccounted/possibly kidnapped.

- Some of the missing or critically injured people might be dead as well, so that is why they are saying "at least" 9 Americans dead.

So far, all the known American deaths/missing people/injured were at this music festival. The NSC is warning Americans that if they had friends or family attending the music festival, then they might be dead/kidnapped. There are no confirmed American deaths/injuries/kidnappings outside of the festival as of yet.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1711091011982623125

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 9, 2023

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Again, not clear if the 251 were fatalities or fatalities and wounded.
Gun downed always means killed.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Whelp. Gaza won't exist in a year. That's disheartening.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

AlternateNu posted:

Whelp. Gaza won't exist in a year. That's disheartening.

It will still exist. There will most likely be a few hundred to a few thousand fewer people. Israel has launched multiple official invasions into Gaza and could have bombed it to the ground multiple times. There isn't a strategic military reason to do so and there isn't even political support for doing so among the right-wing parties in Israel.

People are forgetting the second intifada and Gaza wars in the late 2000's and early 2010's.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1711402158766067744

Haha they frankensteined RFK. The mob has gathered up their pitchforks and torches and are.....agreeing with the monster!

WaPo had an article on this last week

Also, McCarthy's comms director seems to think that McCarthy is going to be in the speakers race

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1711406636860871134

And his people are getting that out there

https://twitter.com/CraigCaplan/status/1711414989368467964

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 9, 2023

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo 260 deaths is a lot and I think implies multiple shooters and a plan.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Holy poo poo 260 deaths is a lot and I think implies multiple shooters and a plan.

There were over 1,000 members of Hamas involved in the attacks and they simultaneously attacked several towns, military bases, and large civilian gatherings across southern and northern Israel.

So, I think it is safe to say there were multiple shooters and a plan.

Either that or there was one very busy shooter, roughly 999 people supplying him with ammo, and several long road trips up north and then back down.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The festival grounds were three miles from the Gaza strips wall. Some of the paraglider attackers and other assailants accosted the festival first before encroaching further into Israel. Wapo article described trucks pulling into the grounds and herding hostages, other festival attendees were executed on spot. The reports are harrowing. Unclear if target of opportunity or to what degree it was a pre planned target, mostly because they were walking distance from Gaza either is plausible.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Dube's among the more widely respected economists for minimum wage and more general labor economics as a whole. He's posted similar a few times before, his general take on Hot Labor Summer:

https://twitter.com/arindube/status/1711405644450803853
https://twitter.com/arindube/status/1711427550436589971

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Washington Post has confirmation that at least five Americans have been taken hostage by Hamas.

There are likely more, but the five confirmed hostages are all from the same family and consist of:

- An 80-year old woman.
- Her three grandchildren (ages 12,13, and 14).
- Her son-in-law (age 50).

quote:

American says 5 family members, including 80-year-old, kidnapped in Israel

Onn, who graduated from high school in Fairfax, Va., said among those taken were Carmela Dan, 80, a grandmother with citizenship in both the United States and France; and three Israeli grandchildren: Sahar Kalderon, 14, Erez Kalderon, 12, and Noya Dan, 13. Ofer Kalderon, 50, the father of the two Kalderon children, was also kidnapped, Onn said.

Onn said she initially learned of the kidnapping in a WhatsApp channel the family uses. Hamas militants were in the family home farther south, in Kibbutz Nir Oz, where numerous attacks were reported. Video of one of the children being held captive in Gaza later emerged, she said.

“This is a parent’s worst nightmare,” Onn said.

Onn, who moved to Israel eight years ago and works in the technology industry, said that she feels safe where she lives, and plans to use her English-language abilities and connections in the United States to do whatever she can to help.

“I want people to take this from the point of view of a mother, or a father, or a sister, or a brother, and say, ‘How would you feel if you woke up with a terrorist in your house? Who kidnapped you? Who kidnapped someone in your family?’” she said. “This is not political. This is humanitarian.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...DPMAWU7VWYVK7IA

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 9, 2023

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

zoux posted:

Also, McCarthy's comms director seems to think that McCarthy is going to be in the speakers race

How would this work? Don't they need the same number of votes to get McCarthy back into the position that they needed to kick him out? So they'd have to flip some D's or the crazy 8(8) Republicans?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PoopShipDestroyer posted:

How would this work? Don't they need the same number of votes to get McCarthy back into the position that they needed to kick him out? So they'd have to flip some D's or the crazy 8(8) Republicans?

Oh it wouldn't work at all. Scalise and Jordan were already going to struggle to get the votes, with McCarthy in the mix, no one is getting elected speaker. I hope it never ends.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

zoux posted:

Oh it wouldn't work at all. Scalise and Jordan were already going to struggle to get the votes, with McCarthy in the mix, no one is getting elected speaker. I hope it never ends.

Wait, McCarthy's back in the mix? I thought he did a "a pox on both your houses" to his conference and refused to run to get the speakership back again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Wait, McCarthy's back in the mix? I thought he did a "a pox on both your houses" to his conference and refused to run to get the speakership back again.

https://twitter.com/SusanPage/status/1711478628737802514

Jake Sherman, who lives inside of McCarthy's inside jacket pocket, also seems to think that he's eventually going to announce as a candidate.

https://twitter.com/MollyBeck/status/1711475104595460116

Sounds like the WI Lege has given up their pipe dream of impeachment

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It seems like maybe he just did that to get the focus off him for a few days so there'd be a few days to work out where everyone stands. The only candidates right now are ultra-conservatives, neither of them is emerging as a clear frontrunner over the other, and the GOP moderates are still making lots of loud and discontented noises about McCarthy's ouster and the new Speaker candidates. So while McCarthy hasn't officially put his name back in the hat yet, he's pretty openly dropping hints that he'd be happy to take the position back.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Captain_Maclaine posted:

He did, so I'm not entirely sure what's going on? I guess some Rs are trying to draft him regardless of his wishes (and to try and soothe his wounded pride by saying "Look we won't accept a 'no' here we NEED you, nobody else could do what you do") but an infinitely funnier option is that the Ds are doing it behind the scenes because Chaos

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My completely uninformed opinion is that McCarthy probably had the same basic human instinct Boehner and Ryan had of “gently caress those guys” but then the part of him that wanted to be Speaker bad enough to willingly create this mess that everyone predicated kicked in and he’ll run.

Spites gotta play a role too. Even if you don’t think you can or want to Speaker again gently caress letting someone else have it easy.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

My completely uninformed opinion is that McCarthy probably had the same basic human instinct Boehner and Ryan had of “gently caress those guys” but then the part of him that wanted to be Speaker bad enough to willingly create this mess that everyone predicated kicked in and he’ll run.

Spites gotta play a role too. Even if you don’t think you can or want to Speaker again gently caress letting someone else have it easy.

There's something kind of incredible about someone witnessing the last two speakers from his party get absolutely poo poo on by his own side, seeing no positive change in the party to the contrary, and then saying "Yeah, that's the job I want to have."

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Sundae posted:

There's something kind of incredible about someone witnessing the last two speakers from his party get absolutely poo poo on by his own side, seeing no positive change in the party to the contrary, and then saying "Yeah, that's the job I want to have."

Absolute stupid power corrupts absolutely

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Dislike me? Don't spend $10 on a title. Donate to the Palestinian Red Crescent or Doctors Without Borders
https://www.palestinercs.org/en
https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

Sundae posted:

I don't think any human could be a Republican house speaker . At this point its not herding cats, its herding arsonists who have no interest in governing.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

He's not getting off that easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1711404032768594207

It could also be that Jake Sherman is trying to work the narrative to get him in the race so that he wouldn't have hitched his wagon to the Chicxulub meteor that is McCarthy's political career right now