Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah removing more Lector from silence of the lambs is quite a hot take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

mandy - maybe the most boring, annoying movie i've ever watched.

i think super mario bros might be my least favorite movie in recent memory, but i can at least understand why people like it. with mandy i'm pretty lost trying to figure out why people seem enthralled with the overstylized visual nature of the film despite the fact that it's so unbearably boring and frustrating.

the antagonists aren't menacing in the slightest. the protagonists aren't fleshed out enough to care about. so what you wind up with is a 2 hour movie that should've been maybe 1h20m of over the top violence without all the time wasted on trying to establish characters or setting that never get established anyway.

the best thing about the movie are the title cards for the chapters.

really disappointing especially considering that i love death metal and you figure i'd be the target audience for something like this. really i think this is for:

- people who make LSD their personality
- people who desperately want to say they're into "arthouse" movies
- people with small enough brains who thirst for violence and gore regardless of delivery method and are willing to sit through the first hour of this because of one or both of the first two bullet points

this movie makes a good case for why streaming services should let you watch movies at 1.5 or 2x speed

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
All of Us Strangers (Andrew Haigh, 2023) - London Film Festival

Beautiful, moving film, about family, connection, love, and loss starring Andrew Scott and Paul Mescal as two lonely men in a nearly empty London who make a real connection with each other Can't wait to watch it a second time and cry all over again - especially that diner scene. I was worried it was going to basically be a Black Mirror episode, but it ended up being more metaphorical than that, though I still sort of guessed the ending reveal.

Also the best the Croydon Whitgift centre has ever looked on film.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

ShoogaSlim posted:

mandy - maybe the most boring, annoying movie i've ever watched.

i think super mario bros might be my least favorite movie in recent memory, but i can at least understand why people like it. with mandy i'm pretty lost trying to figure out why people seem enthralled with the overstylized visual nature of the film despite the fact that it's so unbearably boring and frustrating.

the antagonists aren't menacing in the slightest. the protagonists aren't fleshed out enough to care about. so what you wind up with is a 2 hour movie that should've been maybe 1h20m of over the top violence without all the time wasted on trying to establish characters or setting that never get established anyway.

the best thing about the movie are the title cards for the chapters.

really disappointing especially considering that i love death metal and you figure i'd be the target audience for something like this. really i think this is for:

- people who make LSD their personality
- people who desperately want to say they're into "arthouse" movies
- people with small enough brains who thirst for violence and gore regardless of delivery method and are willing to sit through the first hour of this because of one or both of the first two bullet points

this movie makes a good case for why streaming services should let you watch movies at 1.5 or 2x speed

no

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

also lol at making weird specific judgments of people based on a film

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I've never seen Mandy but now I want to watch it

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I only saw it recently and it's a very vibes movie, though I was hoping it would lean into the cosmic horror more, while instead the bad guys were just bikers who ingested too much weed. It's got Andrea Riseborough and I always like watching her in stuff.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

MokBa posted:

I've never seen Mandy but now I want to watch it

your funeral. it's extremely cringe.

vibes movies are fine if the vibe is in service of something interesting and not just pretty to look at.

none of the positive reviews on letterboxd say anything about WHY the movie is good except "lol nic cage is crazy huh? 5/5!"

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

the antagonists are extremely menacing, wtf

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Mandy is part of the current Nic Cage comeback, so you do need to enjoy his style. It’s a revenge story and features a lot of vengeance.

Also it’s perfectly fine for a visual medium to be focused on tone and visuals over themes. It may not be your thing, but it has been for many.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Martman posted:

the antagonists are extremely menacing, wtf

the main "big bad" of the movie is a little wuss who gets upset that mandy doesn't like his dumb music and who offers to suck nic cage's dick at the end of the movie. the only thing he kinda maybe has going for him is that he has followers who will do anything for him, but when he's such a little whiny baby it makes those people less menacing, too.

the coolest characters in the movie are the black leather clad subhuman weirdos. i wish the movie were just about them and that there was no nic cage screaming "you ripped mah fav'rit shirt!"

ultimately what makes this movie so terrible in my eyes is that it can't tell whether it wants to be hyper serious or a cheesy campfest. it tries to be both and succeeds at neither.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Mandy is great. Videodrome is great. The Hannibal take is as bad as the Exorcist needs leas Max von Sydow take from the other thread.

Bad hot take thread posting cant be stopped, only mocked

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Us - Some very good performances, and some excellent creepiness. Very effective on an emotional level. The combination of home invasion and existential horror worked really well. Some of the ham-fisted symbolism was eye-rolling (the clock reading 11:11 for example), but stuff like the scissors actually worked in a fairy-tale sort of way.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

ShoogaSlim posted:

the main "big bad" of the movie is a little wuss who gets upset that mandy doesn't like his dumb music and who offers to suck nic cage's dick at the end of the movie. the only thing he kinda maybe has going for him is that he has followers who will do anything for him, but when he's such a little whiny baby it makes those people less menacing, too.

the coolest characters in the movie are the black leather clad subhuman weirdos. i wish the movie were just about them and that there was no nic cage screaming "you ripped mah fav'rit shirt!"

ultimately what makes this movie so terrible in my eyes is that it can't tell whether it wants to be hyper serious or a cheesy campfest. it tries to be both and succeeds at neither.

It’s a man taking on the Manson family while losing his grip on reality through a mix of raw grief and agony and literal psychedelic drugs. Yeah it’s a vibe movie and yeah it’s a slow burn, but it’s also a genuinely great performance from Cage and that slow burn psychedelic prog rock aesthetic very purposely builds toward a very cathartic crescendo.

Genuine condolences if that doesn’t do anything for you.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i fail to understand how it's a "cathartic crescendo" when the movie is 40 minutes too long and doesn't even use any of that extra runtime to encourage us to feel anything for the main characters. if you look at the wikipedia plot summary for mandy, the first ~40 minutes are summed up in like five sentences because so much is shown on screen during that time without anything actually *happening*. cage is a blue collar dude and mandy paints and has weird dreams. so what? that's partially what makes this, and most other vibe movies, a slog.

additionally, as i mentioned earlier, the antagonists aren't menacing at all. they're corny and annoying. as soon as the cult leader comes on screen he's introduced as a whiny baby which renders everything else he does as cartoonishly absurd. if it weren't for their flute to summon the demon gang, there's no movie. those dudes are the coolest and most intriguing part of the movie and a hint at one of its only strong suits where there's world building without being overbearing about how it all works.

also how is it "cathartic" that cage goes on a revenge spree? it's a tragedy and he ends up lost in an acid trip reality (one of the other only strong points of the movie - some of its visuals, especially the ending shot).

for better examples of everything this movie tried to pull off but couldn't, watch once upon a time in hollywood (just the part where cliff visits the manson family ranch is more ominous and tension inducing than the entirety of mandy) and the master.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Can I just say a crescendo is not a climax

it means "growing", it is something you put in music wherever you want it to gradually get louder

:goonsay: I know

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

What is a “vibe movie”?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A movie thats primary emotional response is induced by the vibes it gives off rather than the characters or plot. That is that the film is primarily audio visually concerned.

Consider musically Beach House or the Cocteau Twins, the lyrics are not concerned with meaning as much as they are with the delivery of themselves. Now extrapolate this to film.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Data Graham posted:

Can I just say a crescendo is not a climax

it means "growing", it is something you put in music wherever you want it to gradually get louder

:goonsay: I know

Both uses are valid, climax is literally the secondary definition.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

toggle posted:

What is a “vibe movie”?

Fantasia :hmmyes:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

an example of a good (imo) vibe movie is Drive. Harmony Korine movies like Spring Breakers and The Beach Bum aren't masterpieces but are fun vibe movies.

i recently went to go see a screening of Miami Vice at a theater near me where people were celebrating it as an underdog, under appreciated vibe movie. i wanted to leave like 6 times bc it was so insufferable and stupid.

there's good ones and there's bad ones. Mandy, to me, is quite bad.

i think it all depends on what you want/expect to experience when it comes to a vibe movie. i don't really care about hippies on drugs or over the top violence so Mandy doesn't work for me. if you dig that poo poo then it'll work for you.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I hate this :argh: but who am I to argue with Merriam-Webster

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Data Graham posted:

I hate this :argh: but who am I to argue with Merriam-Webster

Believe me, I was in orchestra for years and I double-checked the definition before posting the original comment.

English is a hosed up and confusing language.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

ShoogaSlim posted:

i fail to understand how it's a "cathartic crescendo" when the movie is 40 minutes too long and doesn't even use any of that extra runtime to encourage us to feel anything for the main characters. if you look at the wikipedia plot summary for mandy, the first ~40 minutes are summed up in like five sentences because so much is shown on screen during that time without anything actually *happening*. cage is a blue collar dude and mandy paints and has weird dreams. so what? that's partially what makes this, and most other vibe movies, a slog.

With all due respect to your experience, film is different from other art forms in a few areas, and this is where Mandy comes in. It uses what’s so specific about movies to create a weird, dreamy mood in a way that pure music, a painting, or a play couldn’t. I thought it was slow but great. Sleazy but highbrow at the same time.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

ShoogaSlim posted:

i recently went to go see a screening of Miami Vice at a theater near me where people were celebrating it as an underdog, under appreciated vibe movie. i wanted to leave like 6 times bc it was so insufferable and stupid.

I have no idea how Miami freaking Vice inspires such vitriol. Or that it gets classified as a vibe movie. It's a pretty standard, lesser-tier Michael Mann film about identity and work. I really enjoyed it, saw it multiple times in the theater, but cannot see how anything about it would be considered "vibe".

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spring breakers isn't really a vibe movie either. Its got a pretty clear narrative told in just a more uhh music video-kind of way.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Miami Vice is incredibly vibes heavy and is also nowhere near the lesser end of Mann's catalogue. Only Heat and Thief can be credibly argued as better

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Miami Vice is incredibly vibes heavy and is also nowhere near the lesser end of Mann's catalogue. Only Heat and Thief can be credibly argued as better

Insane to place The Insider (1999) lower than Miami Vice, and I would argue Collateral (2004) is also superior

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

I think I need to go watch it again. I remember it being atmospheric, but not necessarily in a trippy way.

Though now that I think about it, I always thought the discussion between Crockett and the love interest in the cafe in Cuba was slightly surreal. poo poo, maybe it is a vibes film.

And I always try to downplay my enjoyment of this movie. I recognize that it's operating in a genre practically defined by Michael Mann, himself, and coming up short of his best work.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

null_pointer posted:

I think I need to go watch it again. I remember it being atmospheric, but not necessarily in a trippy way.

Though now that I think about it, I always thought the discussion between Crockett and the love interest in the cafe in Cuba was slightly surreal. poo poo, maybe it is a vibes film.

And I always try to downplay my enjoyment of this movie. I recognize that it's operating in a genre practically defined by Michael Mann, himself, and coming up short of his best work.

https://youtu.be/BIoJRT_Qg8E?si=0Fl3Zg4DDRo9gEt_

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Jenny Agutter posted:

Insane to place The Insider (1999) lower than Miami Vice, and I would argue Collateral (2004) is also superior

This but also Manhunter

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I'd put the director's cut of Blackhat over Miami Vice (and I like Miami Vice)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Those scenes in the boat seem like they’re crying out for Crockett’s Theme. :smith:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Clipperton posted:

I'd put the director's cut of Blackhat over Miami Vice (and I like Miami Vice)

I might too once the Blu Ray comes in.

Jenny Agutter posted:

The problem with Collateral is that it's his most comic booky movie, Tom Cruise's character doesn't feel real the way De Niro's or Caan's do. That and the fact that Mann hadn't quite got down the digital video thing yet so despite having some really good looking shots the cinematography is still way lower than I'd expect from a Mann film.

Insider is good, but as someone who isn't a geriatric Sixty Minutes and Cigarette company scandals are neither relevant or interesting to me personally. It's also limited by being about a couple of people rather than being based on people so you get unsatisfying conclusions to certain scenes and characters e.g. Diana Venora's character.

Miami Vice meanwhile is beautifully shot, has incredible dialogue between Fox, Farrell and Li, incredible action sequences that feel even more gritty than the ones in Heat or Thief, and a ton of those Miami Vibes that sets it apart from his other films.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

This but also Manhunter

I love Manhunter but it feels like it stumbles a bit in the back half and with the conclusion.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

Miami Vice meanwhile has incredible dialogue

ok now you're just trolling

"how fast does this boat go?"

"it goes very fast"

killll meeeee

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

ok now you're just trolling

"how fast does this boat go?"

"it goes very fast"

killll meeeee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1_Lzxie5Qs
If you don't think that exchange is the greatest interlocution in film history then we simply live in different realities.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

Spring breakers isn't really a vibe movie either. Its got a pretty clear narrative told in just a more uhh music video-kind of way.

I'm not sure having a clear narrative necessarily disqualifies it, indeed a simple story can be to the benefit of a "vibe movie" since it means you have to spend less time focusing on it, people will just get that it's happening.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Les Diaboliques I'm unfortunately leaggaly unable to describe what I saw in this film, I hope you understand. That said, is there a greater tragedy than the early death of Vera Clouzut? She was in three films, all directed by her husband, and both of the two I watched she was perfect in.

Anyways you looking for a Hitchcock style thriller set in a French boys boarding school with two women with far more chemistry with each other than with their husband/lover getting into to some murder flavored hijinx then this is the film for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

videodrome - first time seeing this as i try to watch more horror movies during october. this is probably one of the better of the bunch i've attempted so far and has an impressively time resistant plot. replace "videodrome" in the dialogue with "instagram" or "youtube" and you have the same movie basically.

the body horror stuff works when it relates to videotapes and televisions, but when it starts getting into the whole gun attached to max's hand, the meaning was lost on me and felt more like it was just trying to be weird and gross just to commit to the bit instead of meaningfully supplement the narrative. could be wrong/missing something there.

overall decent. i'd happily watch more cronenberg after that.

2.5/5 maybe 3