Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maxwells Demon posted:

So is Neuvilette the 5* character to get in the present/near future that's strong in the meta? Or target Furina and/or Baizhu?
Depends what you need.

Neuvilette is a strong onfield carry that doesn't want a lot of the traditional supports like Bennett, which is both a pro and a con. (Pro: frees them up for the other side of abyss, Con: if you only have a few characters leveled you might have to level other characters to support him.)

Furina is looking to be really strong especially with her recent changes but she still kind of wants a second healer on the team, and can't replace Xingqiu or Yelan as off-field hydro appliers, she's more a secondary support who applies some hydro and also gives the team some buffs.

Baizhu is a really good defensive option with pretty good dendro application but as a dendro applier Nahida is worlds better and as a healer he's not that much better than Yaoyao.

Pick whichever character you like the vibe of/the gameplay of the most, they're all strong. If you want to just roll for sheer meta then Furina will probably support basically every upcoming Fontaine character extremely well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The orbs did generate in that clip from what I can see. They form behind Neuv right around the edge of the screen and you can see as soon as you start the CA he gets healed multiple times for each orb being absorbed. My best guess on why the CA fizzled is maybe you just held the attack button a fraction of a second too short.

I'm looking frame by frame but I can't see any, in what second of the clip you see them? His circle of water orb consumption also fully expanded so it should have taken them for the CA.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
He does heal, so even if they're invisible it does suggest that something happened. Not that it's not still a bug.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

No Wave posted:

He does heal, so even if they're invisible it does suggest that something happened. Not that it's not still a bug.

It looks like he only absorbed two orbs for some reason, based on the size of his charging ring. Which also explains how it's possible to release the charge before the big beam started firing. I'm not sure why he wouldn't have generated or picked up more orbs than that, though... I haven't experienced this issue.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
I've the skill fail to spawn the orbs quite a few times in weird situations but it does need to hit to spawn them so its more likely to happen. This only the second time I've seen an ult just fail to spawn the orbs or spawn enough of them to CA.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Hey does anyone care enough to read a ~1000 word essay about monday patch changes or should I just post the tldr.
I realized I've been at this for way too long and I'm only like halfway done :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i will read it

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
That area is a structure with some stuff above and below it on different levels and walls and such, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the orbs just spawned on top of the wall or under the floor or on the opposite side of the wall and ended up out of range.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Nakar posted:

That area is a structure with some stuff above and below it on different levels and walls and such, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the orbs just spawned on top of the wall or under the floor or on the opposite side of the wall and ended up out of range.

Something like that happened during the Scara weekly boss fight. The orbs in the first phase were unusable since they spawned below the floor (I assume down where phase 2 happens but not sure).

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I really hope Neuvellette sets the new standard and they introduce more dragons that are nearly or stronger than the Archons. It isn't like beating up Stormterror and Azhdaha would prevent us from playing as them since we've been beating Childe up for just as long

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

This is really confusing but there are both dragons as well as the Seven Sovereigns https://genshin-impact.fandom.com/wiki/Seven_Sovereigns. Neuvillette and Apep are the two that are confirmed to be part of the Seven Sovereigns and thus have really crazy powers. Normal dragons aren't necessarily that special and we don't really know how Dvalin and Azhdaha fit in.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Azhdaha also has two different human forms so it stands to reason that Dvalon could too if he cared to, and we're in desperate need for more geo characters so a pure DPS Geo Dragon would be pretty neat if it came along with, idk, him getting out on good behavior and not wanting to live the rest of his life in a prison because of erosion but his latest interaction has started to change his perspective. Put that in the patch where Geo also gets better reactions too

Kale
May 14, 2010

This game has some of the most random callbacks sometimes with NPC's. I went into the Library in Mondstadt for the event and the light novel writer from the Tsurumi Island quest that went off on a pilgrimage at the end of it was just in there going on about how Lisa would make a good light novel character. I wonder if she shows up at all in the House of Daena or any other libraries and this is some sort of chain thing, but I swear I've seen them pop up somewhere else too.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Kale posted:

This game has some of the most random callbacks sometimes with NPC's. I went into the Library in Mondstadt for the event and the light novel writer from the Tsurumi Island quest that went off on a pilgrimage at the end of it was just in there going on about how Lisa would make a good light novel character. I wonder if she shows up at all in the House of Daena or any other libraries and this is some sort of chain thing, but I swear I've seen them pop up somewhere else too.
Genshin is really great at giving NPC characters lives outside of the main story and having real endings. It's one of the only games I actually want to talk to every NPC. They're not all going to have a story but a lot of them do, and they do resolve them. It's neat

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Ok...

Monday beta update is here and theres a lot going on, big sigh. It's hard to call it a nerf, because it comes with so many flexibility and QoL improvements. I'm seeing a huge amount of positivity tho so I think it's good to talk about it.

As a recap: Furina is an off-field damage dealer that amps the whole team's damage when you lose or gain life. This effect is sneakily easy to abuse because if you're bad you're gonna get hit by enemies anyway and if you're good it's pretty easy to find, like, "nega-openings" in enemy attack patterns where you can get hit without messing up your offense. What this update did was make it easier to reach a decent level of buff while capping the max buff at around 3/4 of it's old value. I think more casual players/spreadsheeters (ie everyone thats not me) are pretty happy because this ease of use stuff makes Furi look a lot better. Whereas evil and hosed up non-casuals/non-spreadsheeters (ie pretty much just me) are happy cause old Furi was a messed up kinda powercreepy unit that had the potential to constrain future unit design while marginalizing the reactions system. Oh and also everyone is happy because her new (higher) floor makes her more splashable in non-fontaine teams. A big win all around?

Alright, short section done, time for essay.

Charlotte: They made her A4 more annoying to read :geno:

Furina: There's subsections :smith:

-Subsection 1: Rotations:

Furinas burst was changed:
18s CD, 18s duration, 70 cost -> 15s CD, 18s duration, 60 cost

Before, Furi had 2 types of team rotations available: 20s, and flexible. Now that her burst CD is 15s, she can work in 15s rotations by using her skill once every other rotation, after exactly 30s. There's sub-subsections :smithicide:

--Sub-subsection 1.1: 15s Rotations: New and exciting! 3 big problems! One! 15s rotations with 60 burst cost actually need more energy generation per second than her old 18s/70, and noticably more than her old extended 20s/70. Oh no! Two! The only 15s rotation-compatible full-party healers are "Burst every other rotation Baizhu" and "4Maidens heal hat proto amber catalyst." Not great! Three! 15s rotation hydros are kinda poopy :(. At least for what her teams want to do. Combined with problem 1 this makes 15s rotation teams so energy hungry that you're stuck on Fav most of the time and might still need ER sands. But it does open potential new teams I guess?

The main healer you're trying to sneak into the teams is Benny, who only works at max potential on your second rotation. But it does work, Benny's healing ticks are quick enough that on the second pass he'll catch your characters while they're performing their skills/bursts, and being Benny he brings more than enough positives to excuse the clunk.

Weird Ganyu: MHGanyu/FatesRosa/Furi/Bennett
Whose vape is it anyway? (it's Furina's :ssh:)(mostly) Klee: MHKlee/Nahida/Furi/Bennett (<-Not a burgeon team)
I don't have Faru C6, but...: MHWanderer/FatesVenti/Furi/Bennett
Remember Ning?: Onfield MHNingguang/Albedo/Furi/Bennett

The important connection here is that Furi becomes a sort of "Bizarro Kazuha" for teams where using him is awkward or unhelpful. Instead of res shred, she enables the march hunter set for NA/CA onfielders, which for chars that needed to settle for stuff like lavawalker or 2x/2x is a big jump. In doing so, she essentially drags the team dps of raw damage teams up, and pins it to a new minimum.

There was an additional section here detailing hypothetical future units that would work well with 15s Furi. It is gone now. Because I am kind. Those characters aren't real right now so don't worry about it. :nallears:

Also yes you can play a lovely onfield Furina with Candace/Kazuha/Benny now and it isn't that terrible but there's dozens of actually good Furi teams you can run instead, come on.

--Sub-subsection 1.2: 20s/Flex Rotations: Very excellent! Double hydro Furi teams can now cut down their ER requirements by about ~25%, making Festering and Pipe very comfy options, and depending on the team you might even be able to use dps weapons (like her signature!) without unreasonable ER substats. On solo hydro teams, Furi is now much more likely to be able to use Festering/Pipe instead of Fav, though dedicated dps weapons are still sketchy.

Usually on these sorts of Furi teams, you have an off-element healer on an ER build, and this usual unit usually carries Fav. Theres tons of variations, but with this other Fav I'd estimate that she's roughly on par with Yelan now: around ~180% er on average for solo hydro. But just like Yelan, she herself doesn't lose too much damage from carrying another Fav herself, so she should be able to work together with the healer('s Fav) to make the team energy-rich and pretty comfy. This is great for rainbow element teams, or teams where another important unit is running as a solo element but still wants their burst.

Overall a legitimate straightforward buff for these teams. The only thing to note here is, what happens if you burst when your previous burst hasn't expired yet? It seems as though the new burst replaces the previous one, and you reset your fanfare. Not a problem in 20s rotations, but in Flex rotations you really want to make use of the peak of that burst instead of wasting it.

-Subsection 2: Fanfare stacks:

Furina's Fanfare buff was quietly the most hosed up part of her kit, increasing both her personal and team damage to potentially unhealthy/powercreepy levels. There have been 3 changes in regards to this mechanic: skill self-damage has been increased, Fanfare gain from life loss/gain has been increased, and max fanfare has been decreased. Theres a lot of fiddly numbers going on but if I got my stuff right and the summon's attack rates are accurate it's actually pretty simple. Looks like the changes cleaned up the math a decent bit:

If all your summons hit all their moves, you will lose about 50% health from all your teammates in around 20 seconds. Thats 200 stacks, so you get around 10 stacks per second, which means you get 2.5 damage% per second if you don't heal or get hit.

Compare Yelan's 3.5 per second, except her's is onfielder only. Pretty fair :). If you're at 75% HP after 10 seconds (100 fanfare), a group heal to max gives you 100 more stacks, for a bonus 25 dmg% (50% total), in half the time! That's why full-party healers are so important; they not only let you get more fanfare overall, they let you frontload it, too! Worth spending a few seconds in Koko burst to enable it, IMO. For more examples, Hu Tao and Shinobu's skills take 30% hp, so you instantly get 30 stacks, or 7.5 damage%. Getting knocked to 25% health by a Maguu Kenki burst and healing back to 100% by standing on Benny circle gets you 150 stacks, or 37.5 damage%.

Hey wait a sec, that last example was kinda suspicious, wasn't it? If it were that easy to rack up fanfare stacks you could super easily ramp up to more than 50 or 60 damage% by getting some backliners sniped and healed, and you could do it at the beginning of a rotation, too. Haha, lets just ignore that and go back to our spreadsheets, where we specifically make sure not to take damage and heal, even tho taking damage and healing is directly beneficial :)

So lets look at our 3 Furina team modes: 15s Furina, 20s Furina (plus Flex Furina), and Fontaine Furina.

--Sub-subsection 2.1: 15s Furina. It's complicated.

You will lose 37.5% of each unit's health every 15 seconds. 150 stacks. But you only get this full amount at the end. Since these are usually gonna be Benny teams, your first rotation gets practically no healing when you want it (the front part of your rotation). Around this point you only get a pitiful ~15-20 damage% boost. AKA, the burst damage% Raiden's eyeball gives that literally everyone forgets about.

HOWEVER, on your second rotation, a full-healer Benny will top off everyone while they're performing their skills and bursts, giving you an immediate 150 stacks, plus the stacks from the critters who've been attacking all this time, starting you off with around a 50+ damage% boost for the whole team! And increasing! This is more than the mega-boost from the end of Yelan's burst, or the element% from a 1000 EM Kazuha. Only here, it's for every teammate and damage type, and for the entire remaining ~10s of your rotation! Legitimately huge.

This is why I firmly believe that, despite the big flop of the first rotation, and the fact that it turns Furi into an ER junkie, 15s Furina is not only viable, but excellent.

--Sub-subsection 2.2: 20s Furina. A known quantity and I've been typing this so long that I've begun to yearn for the mines :smith:

All you need to know is that Furi's new and easy to remember ~2.5 damage% per second used to be around 1.67, so this is a pretty good buff :]
(It also makes the spreadsheets look closer to what a "real" Furina team would look like :ssh:)

--Sub-subsection 2.3: Fontaine Furina. Has been bullied :(

As we all know, literally the only possible way in the entire game to max out Furina's fanfare stacks was using Fontaine characters like Neuvillette that wiggle their HP back and forth. Now these characters are stuck at 75 dmg%, when thet could easily go up to the old 99. How mean! It's so sad, that the Fontas lost their unique, exclusive access to an easy 99 dmg% boost, which was an extremely cool and normal amount of dmg% to get! Especially since nobody else could have possibly used it! Darn!

Ok but seriously, it's not really a huge deal. It's still very silly and still makes her an easy BiS in these sorts of teams, all that stuff we knew about already still applies. Is what I want to say. But really, I think that not a lot of people understood how silly teamwide 99 dmg% was. And now they never will ;)

-Subsection 3: Miscellaneous

Furina's Elemental burst damage has been lowered but the way it works means it never gets fanfare stacks so who cares.

Furina's old C2 (onfield hydro hits) has been switched with her old C6 (supercharge her stacks stuff, extra HP for her once her stacks are maxed out). Sucks for you if you wanted to onfield her! But this is a very Nahida C2 move: turbobuffing her enhancements, instead of her personal damage. Too bad 5 star constellations, were never real in the first place

Furina's old C3 (Skill) has been switched with her old C5 (burst). Hm? Are they trying to focus on her buffing? Don't care, 5 star cons are fake

Furina's skill no longer snapshots HP.
???
Why would it? Is this a bugfix? Both her weapon and a constellation increased her HP dynamically. And before now this was just worthless I guess? Did it used to snapshot everything and Harbinger of Dawn was just horrifically OP? If anyone knows the answer, will they quote this entire post?

Please don't.

Conclusion: neat buffs, neat nerf. Right now Furina is something like a cross between Kazuha and Yelan: both a strong buffer and enabler for a broad but specific "genre" of teams, and an independent damage dealer that is incidentally improves the damage of you main dps, too. In exchange, she loses Kazuha's practical combat utility and Yelan's steady and reliable application. Which is probably a bad thing cause those are pretty big reasons I like Yelan/Kazu so much :(

Whatever, the kits not changing now. Hopefully in the next round of changes they do something about her healing mode because right now it's pretty much a huge flop :/

Alright, I'm chopping this post here. Go home everyone 👋

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

gently caress I forgot about Shinobu teams!!!

Eh, whatever. I'm sick of typing. I'm sure some youtuber is gonna make an hour long video about this nonsense closer to her launch

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Greatly enjoyed the post! Greatly dislike videos!

Also helps strengthening my resolve to save pulls!

Thanks!

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

MoonCrab posted:

???
Why would it? Is this a bugfix? Both her weapon and a constellation increased her HP dynamically. And before now this was just worthless I guess? Did it used to snapshot everything and Harbinger of Dawn was just horrifically OP? If anyone knows the answer, will they quote this entire post?

Well, if it snapshotted hp, there's no point in having a dynamic scale if it only takes the value on cast.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

valuum posted:

Yeah this! Are you in the beta or just well informed of the changes?

Are you even allowed to disclose if you're in the beta?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MoonCrab posted:

???
It used to just snapshot her max HP, and nothing else. This was definitely a bug. The only possible usecase for this was Yelan's C4.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

MoonCrab posted:

Ok...
——-
Alright, I'm chopping this post here. Go home everyone 👋

Thanks - a lot easier to read that than watch some 15 minute video milking it.

The biggest thing that jumped out to me there is that I saw a decent amount of people saving to c2 her because they wanted her on field, and now it’s “sorry plebes, you can c6 her to get that”. Doesn’t really matter to me (I want her for Neuvi) but I’m curious if people are screaming and shaking and pissing and making GBS threads themselves over that constellation change given they were skipping units to get that c2.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The C2 (now C6) was less than 3 seconds of onfield every 20 seconds so I didn't see any hype for it in the first place. The changes are buffs except in very specific comps. We didn't even know about the C2's existence until the Neuvillette banner and it's still the neuvillette banner so there's nothing to have skipped.

Also Ayaka+Charlotte+Furina+Kazuha, this is probably better than kokomi shenhe.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

valuum posted:

Also helps strengthening my resolve to save pulls!

Thanks!

tbh, furina could be sub-dehya tier, and i'd still sink 180 pulls to get her if i have to

which in some ways she is, since the only other 4.x character that interests me is the lantern rite 5*, so i'm not really getting the full benefit from her i guess

eh, french aqua-from-konosuba is still worth it for that novelty alone

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tree Reformat posted:

tbh, furina could be sub-dehya tier, and i'd still sink 180 pulls to get her if i have to

which in some ways she is, since the only other 4.x character that interests me is the lantern rite 5*, so i'm not really getting the full benefit from her i guess

I am getting all of the archons. There's no other non negotiable characters, but I am getting every single one.

I think maybe no constellations though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Must be nice not tempted by fontaine characters

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rio posted:

The biggest thing that jumped out to me there is that I saw a decent amount of people saving to c2 her because they wanted her on field, and now it’s “sorry plebes, you can c6 her to get that”. Doesn’t really matter to me (I want her for Neuvi) but I’m curious if people are screaming and shaking and pissing and making GBS threads themselves over that constellation change given they were skipping units to get that c2.
that constellation let her onfield less than dori's c6 lets her onfield. people just saw 'hydro infusion' and assumed this was the key to her replacing ayato.

if you want to onfield furina you're gonna need like, c6 candace.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tree Reformat posted:

the recent changes make furina way more universal of a character so she isn't nearly as stapled to the fontaine crew. she can supply enough hp drain to give substantial buffs by herself.

Kale
May 14, 2010

rio posted:

Given that its the internet almost certainly

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Endorph posted:

the recent changes make furina way more universal of a character so she isn't nearly as stapled to the fontaine crew. she can supply enough hp drain to give substantial buffs by herself.

Who needs HP drain when you can just be bad at video games?

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Still not excited about Furina so I'll wait to see people testing her and if any of those teams seem appealing.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I somehow entirely missed that her ult buffs the entire team, not just her summons. :psyduck: Which probably means I should just get her despite my plan to only do a pity and see if I win the 50/50...

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I don't care if furina sucks I'll pull for all disaster girls

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Trying to imagine the laziest possible Furina team and I'm not sure if it's between all-Archons AFK Hyperbloom or just running Furina with Kokomi as the on-field DPS and tapping LMB and E/Q occasionally while watching something else on another screen.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

MNSNTZR posted:

love the positivity for thinking that it’s only going to take a month. i’ve given up and put him on 4 pc wanderer’s troupe because, one, they’re good enough where marechausse likely can’t keep up and, two, my mental well-being. same reason why wanderer is on 2 glad/2 vv and is a little shy of a 1m burst still

I mean, I have a lot of boxes to tick before Neuv will be truly useful. At L70, mine has a decent weapon with HP%, 4pc mare with a hydro goblet, a HP% sands and an ATK% circlet with Crit% and CD subs for now. Not perfect, but it's not like I plan on ever attempting Abyss 11.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

delfin posted:

I mean, I have a lot of boxes to tick before Neuv will be truly useful. At L70, mine has a decent weapon with HP%, 4pc mare with a hydro goblet, a HP% sands and an ATK% circlet with Crit% and CD subs for now. Not perfect, but it's not like I plan on ever attempting Abyss 11.

I too thought this way but then did 11 and 12 for the first time. Abyss is very much geared to buffing Neuv a ridiculous amount. I was level 80 and using wanderer’s troupe. If you’ve got a good second team give it a go!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

drat it would my wishes stop turning into drat books

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm not sure if the last two events having pretty much the same backstory ("Merchants carelessness leads to invasive species in the water which is a potential ecological disaster, but they escape serious punishment") is a coincidence, laziness, or an attempt to work a recurring theme.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Considering that the second's event fish releaser's text references the first event fish release, it's a recurring theme.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Finally rolled a nice MH circlet, and Neuvillette is looking pretty good.

This guy is not what I expected. I thought he was just a DPS, but no, he's a tank. He can just undo all the incoming damage he's soaking up. Also, with Prototype Amber, he heals the party. He's like Noelle, except with weak healing, huge damage output, and a useful element.

I think my favorite team for him is EM Raiden/Nahida/Beidou. I already ran this team with on-field Kokomi driving hyperblooms, but Neuvillette can do that while dealing hilarious amounts of damage. This team works great against groups of enemies, but for single target fights, you probably want something with Fischl and Kazuha. I have trouble getting Kazuha to consistenty swirl hydro, though, and I probably need to wait for Sevvy to make a video about that exact subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Since he's all about charged attacks, isn't Beidou mostly wasted in that comp (even in group fights), and someone like Fischl or Yae (EM scaling woo) be a better turret option in general?

Edit:
Neat, for some reason I thought her burst didn't trigger on charged attacks.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 11, 2023