Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
why the gently caress is this dlc so goddamned hard

why make me fight six of those instant guard assholes that poo poo spikes everywhere with level 1 stats and also not be able to look at the move controls to refresh myself

why is the tower climb completely rear end unless you switch it to easy so it actually puts up half the things you need to get up unless you're a SA2 speedrunner

bums me the hell out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

why the gently caress is this dlc so goddamned hard

why make me fight six of those instant guard assholes that poo poo spikes everywhere with level 1 stats and also not be able to look at the move controls to refresh myself

why is the tower climb completely rear end unless you switch it to easy so it actually puts up half the things you need to get up unless you're a SA2 speedrunner

bums me the hell out

All 4 trials come down to one simple rule: Learn how to parry (the last two are far easier than the first two at least)

As for the one prior to the final boss, Parry, Quick Cyloop, and the Stomp attack are your best friends (Note: Don’t try the Cyloop on Wyvern during the second phase as he breaks out of it much quicker, thereby giving you less time to attack than you would if you just started comboing him normally. Also to save time during the Knight rematch try to avoid hitting his shield at all costs and instead just quick step around until the lock on cursor moves over to his body)

The final battle is worth all the hassle in my opinion at least

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 8, 2023

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I hate just how much of the last trial just wastes you time. I really wish it had checkpoints to at least let you restart a section with whatever rings you had. (And yeah, you could end up in hopeless scenarios, but it'd at least be nice when you get a really clean clear of boss 1 to not have to re do it)

Unskippable cutscenes, making you do the pre-super section, where you can lose a poo poo load of rings to a single hit.

Easy & medium should also probably increase your rings.

e: I love being hit by the boss because I can't see an attack coming because the camera doesn't face the loving right way after getting hit/sent away.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 8, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I hate just how much of the last trial just wastes you time. I really wish it had checkpoints to at least let you restart a section with whatever rings you had. (And yeah, you could end up in hopeless scenarios, but it'd at least be nice when you get a really clean clear of boss 1 to not have to re do it)

Unskippable cutscenes, making you do the pre-super section, where you can lose a poo poo load of rings to a single hit.

Easy & medium should also probably increase your rings.

Wyvern is probably the worst of it since you have to go through a needlessly long approach sequence, waste some rings by sitting through his opening animation before the fight even starts, and can’t actually attack him until you go through 2 parrying sequences. Knight is also sort of annoying due to the shield getting in your way and the fact that he will not loving stay still (not to mention the spikes during the approach sequence)

Yeah, some checkpoints would have been nice at least (Parrying now requiring timing I’m fine with but I don’t understand why the trials have to reset all your stats to level 1)

The Tails, Knuckles, and Amy sections were fun (though I wish you got to do more with them) and the final boss and ending are a huge improvement over the main game but otherwise most of Sonic’s sections are just a slog

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 8, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Having to do the entire Wyvern run is by far the biggest problem with the Titan Trial. It's such a braindead piece of gameplay and the odds of you taking damage during it are basically nil if you've already done it once or twice. You should be able to skip it after doing it once.

I assume Oxyclean's comment about not being able to see the hit coming is about Giganto. You just gotta wait for the camera to reorient and absolutely do not boost back in, because yeah, he'll just whack you right back out and waste more rings. You just gotta wait a couple seconds.

Knight's spikes in the pre-fight are definitely one of the biggest kill points I experienced, you gotta get under him, I'm pretty sure the spikes appear under his wheels. If you try to stay outside him on the edge, he'll just zip over to you and the spikes will hit you before you can react but if you stay inside him and you're underneath his main body, he doesn't seem to be able to hit you with the spikes. You can do Knight extremely quickly, so even if you're low on rings, you can still win, but those spikes can absolutely murder your run. Also, his big hand attack is a one-shot.

As others have said, punch-punch-punch-stomp as much as you can. Hit a quick cyloop as soon as you can, it's invaluable in pushing the bosses to their second phases ASAP. If you burst down Knight fast enough, you can just skip the second "shield riding" phase. Although I've seen people just go around his shield, which I never did. I did the first shield ride, then just bursted him down him right to the shield bounce phase. He has a really fast uppercut attack during the shield bounce phase that will immediately end your damage phase, so be ready for that.

Like LarryB said though, it's risky to cyloop during Wyvern's second phase, because he breaks out very fast and immediately attacks with a very different cadence (I think it comes out much quicker than his normal attack), which can immediately end your damage phase if it hits.

Rings DO NOT DRAIN during Grand Slam and it does a shitton of damage. Use Grand Slam every single time you see the prompt. You can try and stretch it a bit and get in one more stomp combo because the prompt will linger for a bit, but don't let it vanish, it's SO MUCH free time and damage.

If you're experience any other hard points in the trials, share them, hopefully we can help.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Larryb posted:

Also to save time during the Knight rematch try to avoid hitting his shield at all costs and instead just quick step around until the lock on cursor moves over to his body)
What does this mean? When he raises his shield after a parry during phase 1? I didn't seem to see the target point change, it just felt like I wasn't allowed to attack until he lowered.

For phase 2 I assume I still need to parry the shield into him to actually open him up for damage?

MJeff posted:

I assume Oxyclean's comment about not being able to see the hit coming is about Giganto. You just gotta wait for the camera to reorient and absolutely do not boost back in, because yeah, he'll just whack you right back out and waste more rings. You just gotta wait a couple seconds.

Yeah, that's what I mean. It just feels annoying that I need to wait because of a very unnecessary camera change.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

and also not be able to look at the move controls to refresh myself

this is such a big one lol i barely remember how to play as sonic

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

What does this mean? When he raises his shield after a parry during phase 1? I didn't seem to see the target point change, it just felt like I wasn't allowed to attack until he lowered.

For phase 2 I assume I still need to parry the shield into him to actually open him up for damage?

Yeah, that's what I mean. It just feels annoying that I need to wait because of a very unnecessary camera change.

Yup, just keep dodging around him with the shoulder buttons while staying close and the targeting cursor should eventually move. And yeah, I believe you have to parry his shield during the second phase before you can attack.

Also how do you properly do the shield riding segments anyway? The steering controls seem really finicky

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 8, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Here's a video of somebody just ignoring the shield:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn0aKm5hqmQ&t=659s

Larryb posted:

Also how do you properly do the shield riding segments anyway? The steering controls seem really finicky

Just bulldoze through the missiles the best you can. It is very finicky, ESPECIALLY the second time, but bright side, you got a nice chunk of free damage when you hit him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dodging around the shield to move the target cursor is also a good thing to train yourself on as later when you face the final boss that's pretty much required in order to get anywhere

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3QVhTk51bo

And here's a video of what LarryB is talking about. Looks pretty straight forward. Attack the shield, press your bumper button, Sonic zips right by it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yuzXdEm1no

Here's a much funnier skip, but capped at 1 ATK, I feel like this wouldn't do too much.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 8, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also speaking of the final boss, here's some things to keep in mind once you reach that as well:

-There's a purple cord attached to him that will constantly heal all damage you do, as such you need to get rid of it ASAP by starting a combo on the head then immediately dodging to change the cursor over to the cord. Attack the cord repeatedly in order to dislodge it and then wail on the boss until he falls down

-Once this happens you'll need to Cyloop his back to dislodge a giant sword (or maybe it's a cannon, I'm not sure), the weapon will land nearby you at which point you need to Cyloop it again

-Once it gets back up the cord will return and you'll need to repeat the process (also at some point during the second phase the camera will flip around behind the boss and he'll start flailing his arms, all you have to do is parry immediately and you'll be fine)

If you know what you're doing this is probably one of the easier fights in the game (but still a fun one regardless)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Just cleared it. Yay. I wasn't bothered too much by the original ending, but this feels more fitting.

I had thankfully remembered the cord thing from others mentioning it, and kinda bumbled my way to into realizing it wanted me to cyloop some stuff. Was totally throw off by some of the attacks (like flailing one) cause it just sort of didn't make sense? Like oh, suddenly im here and I can't seem to move, but I also don't look trapped? Then I eventually got hit by something that took Sonic out of super with a real long cutscene???

Also, wtf, now that I'm done I'm still now allowed to use the jukebox? I want to do some collection clean up but the default tracks for the DLC are pretty meh after awhile.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I have not been able to figure out what triggers that cutscene where Sonic gets knocked out of super.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MJeff posted:

I have not been able to figure out what triggers that cutscene where Sonic gets knocked out of super.

I always assumed it was just something that automatically happens during the fight and there’s no way to avoid it

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

MJeff posted:

Pretty sure it's just failing to parry a ball in the 2nd phase

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Larryb posted:

I always assumed it was just something that automatically happens during the fight and there’s no way to avoid it

That's my theory, yeah. I think it's just a bit of ~~~cinema~~~ since the fight is pretty close to over by that point anyway.

But you do take a pretty heavy hit to your rings and max rings. Would suck to lose because of it if it is unavoidable.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Evil Eagle posted:

Pretty sure it's just failing to parry a ball in the 2nd phase

It's this. It only happens one time, but taking that hit will drop you to 100 rings (or just kill you if you're already under 100 rings).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

It's this. It only happens one time, but taking that hit will drop you to 100 rings (or just kill you if you're already under 100 rings).

So how/when are you supposed to dodge it then? There was no prompt that I could tell so I assumed it was just a cutscene

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 8, 2023

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I've put the DLC down twice already cos it does such a bad job of directing where to go. I can't tell if the floating boxes I'm on are taking me towards the emerald I'm looking for (which is also on a floating box in the middle of the sky) or if I'm just doing another heart piece puzzle.

It isn't helped by the fact that I haven't touched the game since I cleared it out on launch. I even had to look up where to start the story cos it was so poorly signposted.

I swear the main game wasn't this poorly focused.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1711411197264662565

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've put a bunch of Looper's fangame recommendations on my Steam Deck, they are perfect for it.

I've already played the SMS remakes but I'm always down to play them again, I unironically love Sonic 2 SMS even in non-remake form.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Trip is apparently a sungazer lizard, putting paid to my "Sticks in a helmet" theories.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

Trip is apparently a sungazer lizard, putting paid to my "Sticks in a helmet" theories.

source?

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

Directly from Iizuka, apparently back in August: https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2023/08/02/meet-trip-the-first-new-sonic-character-created-by-naoto-ohshima-in-decades

quote:

"When you look at her, obviously she's covered in armor, and the reason why she's covered in armor in the game is the base of her character is a sungazer lizard in English," Iizuka says. "In Japanese, it's more direct – it's literally 'armored lizard' in Japanese. But the sungazer is that animal that was being referenced for the deign of Trip."

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ah. Glad that’s resolved.

They sure are getting more obscure animals as characters lately, both the games and IDW. At least a little bit anyway

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, not counting stuff like the Biolizard I think this might be our first reptile character in the franchise since Espio and Vector. Interested to see what she looks like under that helmet now

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Lyric was a snake...thing?? kinda

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Lyric was a snake...thing?? kinda

Oh yeah, forgot about him (but to be fair he sucked)

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Larryb posted:

So how/when are you supposed to dodge it then? There was no prompt that I could tell so I assumed it was just a cutscene

Parry all of the orbs he shoots at you.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Do mods to increase object draw distance play nicely with the DLC?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP_oqgYKyVc

Okay, this is very cute. It's really nice to have a segment where all four of them just hang out with each other. It's also a lot like a Sonic Boom episode with how much they mess with each other, like Knuckles pointing out that Mighty and Ray are just better versions of Sonic and Tails. :v:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lol at Knuckles saying he likes Fang's hat.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
"Your only way out is to start over with a new identity. If you want, I can get you the birth certificate of a child who died in 1953. It's hardly been used."
"No. I am not a quitter."
"Who's not a quitter? My dead friend Fang the Hunter, or my new friend Knack the Weasel?"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
they're gonna put mighty, ray, bean, and bark in superstars and also bring back honey

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Looper posted:

they're gonna put mighty, ray, bean, and bark in superstars and also bring back honey

Ok but where Shadow

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
in a sealed capsule on prison island

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Looper posted:

And Sonic Origins busted Sonic. And the Hornet from Daytona. And Akira.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

They should put Mario in Superstars and Sonic in Wonder :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ok but where Shadow

Shadow is Modern Sonic only according to the developers (just like how Fang, Mighty, and Ray appear to be forever locked in the Classic era apart from the recent TailsTube short)

I’ve never understood that mandate to be honest, there was no problem with the Archie comic continuing to use those characters even after they switched over to the modern designs.

I also don’t get why Classic Sonic is mute, Generations just had Kate and Mike do a slightly higher pitched voice for their classic counterparts so I don’t understand why Roger couldn’t have just done the same

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 11, 2023