Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pork Lift posted:

These games have asked me to forgive a lot of characters for all manner of crimes, but Kuwana will never overcome the crime of being a Guy Who Vapes

i never completeley got used to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Maybe it's just that LJ was punching above its weight a little bit with the dilemma it presented. By the end, I felt like both Kuwana and Yagami were wrong. But it's also a topic that doesn't really have a nice, clean solution and that made it far more interesting to me than "punch the bad guys, okay we saved the day."

Also, Yagami, goddamn shut the gently caress up about Sawa-sensei.

if your story revolves around a morally fraught dilemma and concludes by shrugging its shoulders and walking away then that isn’t nuance, it’s laziness/cowardice. don’t take the ticket if you can’t ride the ride

there might be a better version of this story but it’s one that doesn’t have kuwana in it, because the final act exhausts itself trying to justify his actions as morally ambiguous

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Oxxidation posted:

if your story revolves around a morally fraught dilemma and concludes by shrugging its shoulders and walking away then that isn’t nuance, it’s laziness/cowardice. don’t take the ticket if you can’t ride the ride

there might be a better version of this story but it’s one that doesn’t have kuwana in it, because the final act exhausts itself trying to justify his actions as morally ambiguous

Agreed. I understand it's about as sticky a situation as you're going to run into, there are no good answers. The ending felt worse than that. "He's not so bad!" Yeah, yeah he is. We've discussed at length how he is, in this very game in fact.

Also 100% seconded on the vaping. Gaming's most disgusting monster.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the biggest problem I have with Yagami is that he's a total bust in any of the side missions which go for that irreverent Yakuza tone. He's just nowhere near as fun at playing straight man as Kiryu (or Saejima).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I don’t know, his haunted disgust in the Filthy Four DLC mission was good and he’s a gem whenever he gets to share screen time with kaito. he lacks the bottomless enthusiasm of kiryu or ichiban but he’s not exactly a killjoy

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the biggest problem I have with Yagami is that he's a total bust in any of the side missions which go for that irreverent Yakuza tone. He's just nowhere near as fun at playing straight man as Kiryu (or Saejima).

Yeah. I find myself completely disinterested in Yagami in side content (not counting the school stories in this). I do like that Yagami, while in the main story, tends to be more snarky and antagonistic towards people than Kiryu. Yagami can be a bit of a poo poo talker and I like that over the stoicism of Kiryu or the goofy aloofness of Kasuga.

Hot take - the best joke in the entire RGG catalog is "rear end Catchem"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it would take severe brain trauma to dislodge the phrase “scrotum totem” from my memory

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pork Lift posted:

These games have asked me to forgive a lot of characters for all manner of crimes, but Kuwana will never overcome the crime of being a Guy Who Vapes

it was a truly inspired characterisation choice. they can't manage to portray him as Enemy due to his philosophy, so instead they use something else that everyone understands to be evil

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
"we need to improve the law" is so loving cowardly, too. the problem is how the law is enforced, not the details of specific laws that are already ignored by anyone with a speck of power. but yagami has even fewer answers to systemic corruption than he does bullying.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

"we need to improve the law" is so loving cowardly, too. the problem is how the law is enforced, not the details of specific laws that are already ignored by anyone with a speck of power. but yagami has even fewer answers to systemic corruption than he does bullying.

Yagami is a liberal.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
For me where it falls apart is that Yagami's friends all go "he's just like you", and that's fair, Yagami was broken in a different way from his tragic incident he seemingly played a hand in, much like Kuwana, and they both seeked justice for little more than self gratification and ego. Yagami's fight in LJ is a fear that the wrong choice would've set him in this path, that he feels similarly to Kuwana at all is something he has to violently suppress or it exposes his hypocrisy. But it falls apart because his friends aren't making Yagami confront his darkness, they're laughing up how similar he is to the psycho and how cute it is that they can practically finish each other sentences. Actually I think they do do that once?

but idk, this series does a good job at putting interesting, complex scenarios and asking me to forgive someone that i will not at all. Like to some degree I think the intent of 7's finale is that you do feel for Aoki and want him to redeem himself from rock bottom, but nah, he had that stab coming from the moment he deported those sex workers. But it breaks my heart because Ichiban doesn't deserve to have the last of his family taken away by Aoki's evil, like Aoki did to everyone else Ichiban loved.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the ending of yakuza 7 burned me even worse than lost judgment because i hadn't fully checked out by then, despite it getting steadily worse from the tojo clan's reintroduction onward. ichiban spends hours sweating blood to give aoki his due, contrives an impossible plot with a literal shapeshifting man (truly awful contrivance, up there with the rubber bullets), and then aoki stands broken and fully receptive to a proper comeuppance and serving his time, only to gets shivved anyway. waste of my time! gently caress you!!

the perfunctory way it dealt with horinouchi was just another kick in the balls on the way out, it's like they had no idea what to do with him after his first couple of introductory scenes. LAD had plenty of high points but it was seriously sloppy even by this series' broad standards

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 10, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
On Y7's ending, I'm actually pretty sure Aoki getting stabbed is meant to be a reference to some notorious incidents in Japanese politics where right-wing rabblerousers got murdered by their own followers for not being hardcore enough. IMO, particularly through that lens it's not a bad resolution- for all his high-minded speeches and attitude of slick professionalism as well as treachery and manipulation, Aoki was playing with fire and finally got burned. And fitting that given his political prospects collapse when his dirty dealings are unveiled, his control over the hard-right reactionaries he's stirred up also immediately falls apart once the unhinged, entitled grad school thugs lose faith in him. Also some poetic irony that for all the hardened criminals, killers and one flat out Batman villain in his employ, it's the weakest, most pathetic and contemptible henchman of his who ends up his undoing. Heh, it's basically Saruman getting shanked by Wormtongue.

It's definitely not exactly a typical Yakuza ending, though from what I see those tend to be clusterfucks at the best of times. The epilogue also makes more sense considering the devs (and most of Japan) are definitely huge fans of Columbo.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

the ending of yakuza 7 burned me even worse than lost judgment because i hadn't fully checked out by then, despite it getting steadily worse from the tojo clan's reintroduction onward. ichiban spends hours sweating blood to give aoki his due, contrives an impossible plot with a literal shapeshifting man (truly awful contrivance, up there with the rubber bullets), and then aoki stands broken and fully receptive to a proper comeuppance and serving his time, only to gets shivved anyway. waste of my time! gently caress you!!

the perfunctory way it dealt with horinouchi was just another kick in the balls on the way out, it's like they had no idea what to do with him after his first couple of introductory scenes. LAD had plenty of high points but it was seriously sloppy even by this series' broad standards

I feel like Hori and Adachi were part of some chopped out plotline that was clumsily amputated mid dev. The way Adachi gets introduced is so hilariously suspect (hello random yakuza man who just got let out of prison, would you like to go to the place you wind up inexplicably getting dumped into after getting shot anyway) and the cobbled together MIRROR FACE doppelganger fight that's still in the game can point to the idea of another traitor plotline that got snibbed

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

I dunno, I've enjoyed the weird man from Y7, but I suppose I just like dumb poo poo, and that was hella dumb.
As for Aoki, it's really just irony of him raising a lovely rear end in a top hat who thinks he's the only correct one in the world and that anyone who slightly disobeys the morals of the law should be deported or jailed
Horinouchi plot however really went nowhere, but I still consider Y7 to be my favorite story in the series. Its tone is much more enjoyable for me and I'm glad Yakuza's sudden shift into a jRPG allowed secondary characters to shine. In most Yakuzas I can't even remember secondary characters unless they appear for more than one game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Perfect Potato posted:

I feel like Hori and Adachi were part of some chopped out plotline that was clumsily amputated mid dev. The way Adachi gets introduced is so hilariously suspect (hello random yakuza man who just got let out of prison, would you like to go to the place you wind up inexplicably getting dumped into after getting shot anyway) and the cobbled together MIRROR FACE doppelganger fight that's still in the game can point to the idea of another traitor plotline that got snibbed

Heh, that would explain a lot. I do wonder if they realised mid development Adachi was too likeable and the chemistry between the party members too good to really pull off a betrayal plot, so they switched tack mid-development and decided to lean into it. Mirror Face is hardly the silliest thing Yakuza has done straight-faced. It's possible they repurposed some of the intended plotline with Nanba instead, though that could go either way. Maybe they decided having one party member doing that was enough.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just got to the part of Lost Judgment where you play as Saori, what the gently caress????

Not expecting this to last very long but lmao, totally out of left field

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Arist posted:

I just got to the part of Lost Judgment where you play as Saori, what the gently caress????

Not expecting this to last very long but lmao, totally out of left field

did you play regular Judgment?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wrex Ruckus posted:

did you play regular Judgment?

When it came out, and if there was a sequence like that in it I have completely forgotten it

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

there is, it's basically the exact same sequence in fact

not sure why they felt the need to do it again

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Zokari posted:

Twice!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Listen, they made that hostess dress-up mechanic forever ago and drat if they're ever gonna stop using it

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There should be a RGG Musou

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Based on my amount of free time and how long things have been taking I should be finished Kiwami 1 right before Gaiden comes out on Game pass. On that note, thank you whoever said get the heat actions that cancel boss healing asap because what an annoying mechanic. And I will not miss Horny Pokemon Mesuking either.

Plot wise, guess I'll see how much I've picked up on entirely through reading spoilers and discussions about the other games!

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Arzaac posted:

Listen, they made that hostess dress-up mechanic forever ago and drat if they're ever gonna stop using it

this is good tho

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I still just want them to put out the hostess club game from Y0/YK2 as a mobile game. I would play the gently caress out of it.

Make it a gacha game for all I care. It's fun!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

spiritual bypass posted:

There should be a RGG Musou

I was going to make a joke about playable Haruka but then I remembered Yakuza 5 already exists. Which at times already is a RGG musou tbh

But I agree with you, i want more

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Shortly after LJ was released someone said the ideal Judgment would be Amasawa (the MRC president) and Kaito teaming up, with her handling the detective work and him handling punching guys and Yagami being cut out entirely and damned if they weren't correct

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I just realized you weren't quoting yourself for emphasis

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Zokari posted:

there is, it's basically the exact same sequence in fact

it's because she owns, op

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

it's because she owns, op

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Wolfsheim posted:

Shortly after LJ was released someone said the ideal Judgment would be Amasawa (the MRC president) and Kaito teaming up, with her handling the detective work and him handling punching guys and Yagami being cut out entirely and damned if they weren't correct

They can keep Saori and Gendo for the lawyering, it would be perfect! Also: Higashi arcade management minigame. Instant GOTY

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I feel like the Judgment series is so tied to the Yagami character, that (for better or worse) you couldn't continue the series without him. However -

JUDGMENT GAIDEN - THE DEATH OF YAGAMI TAKAYUKI

The game starts with Yagami getting killed. Amasawa and Kaito have to unravel the mystery. Gendo, Saori, and Higashi providing backup.

In the end, it turns out Yagami faked his death to bring this mystery to light and kick off the adventure, but is still in over his head and is rescued by the crew.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
has there been any word when the judgment tv show is coming out?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mordiceius posted:

The game starts with Yagami getting killed. Amasawa and Kaito have to unravel the mystery. Gendo, Saori, and Higashi providing backup.

Keep this, dump the rest

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just finished Ishin. Putting it on the same tier as K1

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I don't dislike Yagami like many here, but I do think of the game where he dies and Kaito/Sugiura share the main role, each 2 styles and you freely swap (Sugiura gets Crane and Snake, Kaito gets his style plus tiger), mostly because (endgame spoileres for both games) Yagami has basically destroyed the ministry of health twice with exposing two massive scandals that came from the very top. The government could absolutely make him disappear for that poo poo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like the Judgment series is so tied to the Yagami character, that (for better or worse) you couldn't continue the series without him. However -

In the end, it turns out Yagami faked his death to bring this mystery to light and kick off the adventure, but is still in over his head and is rescued by the crew.

All of this, but they somehow avoid Yagami having any speaking lines, like in the Kaito DLC.

Or, better yet, he has speaking lines, but they're all hosed up because they're generated by an AI.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

All of this, but they somehow avoid Yagami having any speaking lines, like in the Kaito DLC.

Or, better yet, he has speaking lines, but they're all hosed up because they're generated by an AI.

In the beginning, we just see his "death" but when we rescue him, he has his mouth taped up and is so beaten bloody that he has to go straight to the hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

spiritual bypass posted:

Just finished Ishin. Putting it on the same tier as K1

oof, that bad?