Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.

Opopanax posted:

Did anyone who liked all three DGG Halloween movies see Exorcist yet? Because I’m one of those weirdos and I’m curious if I’ll like it at all

I thought Kills was a bit clunky but overall enjoyed the trilogy. Believer has a solid first act and then it falls apart once they start doing Remember Exorcist poo poo. The exorcism itself is boring. 2.5/5 imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Just got out of Late Night with the Devil at the London Film Festival and it's good, it's very good. Great crowd as well.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Harminoff posted:

Any recs for some truly scary, gory movies?

Wife and I tried to watch the grudge but fell asleep due to the slow start. She loves the saw series ( and big series are kinda preferred)

Also will take recs for truly scary ghost movies. Will be showing her hell house and grave encounters soon!

Autopsy of Jane Doe any good?

How do you feel about enclosed spaces because if you don’t like them, The Descent is gonna be terrifying. Also, just solid movie in general.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm not generally claustrophobic but both times I've watched it the cave-in scene near the beginning of The Descent gave me an actual panic attack. I think I have a specific fear of getting stuck in caves.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

WeaponX posted:

How do you feel about enclosed spaces because if you don’t like them, The Descent is gonna be terrifying. Also, just solid movie in general.

Such a good rear end movie.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm not generally claustrophobic but both times I've watched it the cave-in scene near the beginning of The Descent gave me an actual panic attack. I think I have a specific fear of getting stuck in caves.

Yo same. The real life story of the guy who got stuck upside down in the collapsed tunnel and they couldnt get him out so they just let him slowly asphyxiate the. filled the entire thing with cement is one of the most terrifying things I’ve ever heard.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

weekly font posted:

Yo same. The real life story of the guy who got stuck upside down in the collapsed tunnel and they couldnt get him out so they just let him slowly asphyxiate the. filled the entire thing with cement is one of the most terrifying things I’ve ever heard.

I did NOT want to know about this.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

My job requires me to read about wild ways to die and while sometimes funny, can often give you real SAN damage. I didn’t know about this illustration so sorry about the reddit link. The worst part is it actually wasnt asphyx it was cardiac arrest due to a day of blood pooling in his head.

Sometimes real life is worse than the movies.

https://reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/s/bW8aetOyxI

ANYWAY, never watch Descent 2 its S-tier dogshit and not in the fun way

weekly font fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 9, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Night Creatures is a good time. I've really enjoyed every Hammer movie I've seen. They all have a solid little story, a couple really good actors to anchor it, a couple smoking hot babes, just a little bit of blood and murder. They figured out the formula.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I wish someone would have picked up the Hammer model and run with it. Not every movie needs to be huge and sprawling -- to their credit, Hammer's stuff is TIDY. Invest in a few really solid locations and really good talent, and then sprinkle in the good stuff and let it all stew. And never, EVER, turn down the saturation on your movies. House of Usher looks like someone drove a van full of buckets of paint into the walls and it looks awesome, none of that 'horror is faded blue or pale brown' horseshit most studios seemingly buy into these days.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Watching House of Usher the other day was an experience. Corman's Poe movies that I've seen are all great because they're colorful, moody, and chilling. I couldn't believe that House of Usher did so much with only four main actors and a creepy set, and the bright colors of Masque of the Red Death are a huge highlight, as is the castle The Raven takes place in.

Sometimes you just need people with exaggerated accents talking about magic and curses in a drawing room somewhere.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Zwabu posted:

I mean such a fundamentally silly movie as the new Exorcist one could have been fun if they'd gone for a hard campy vibe, but NOOOOOOOO.

Exorcist TV show is basically this, at least the first season. A lot of fun and worth watching imo.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I wish someone would have picked up the Hammer model and run with it. Not every movie needs to be huge and sprawling -- to their credit, Hammer's stuff is TIDY. Invest in a few really solid locations and really good talent, and then sprinkle in the good stuff and let it all stew. And never, EVER, turn down the saturation on your movies. House of Usher looks like someone drove a van full of buckets of paint into the walls and it looks awesome, none of that 'horror is faded blue or pale brown' horseshit most studios seemingly buy into these days.

Keeping horror movies small and cheap is basically Blumhouse's MO, and why they make a killing with every movie. Five Nights at Freddy's is set to be their most expensive film of all time at only 30mil budget.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Keeping horror movies small and cheap is basically Blumhouse's MO, and why they make a killing with every movie. Five Nights at Freddy's is set to be their most expensive film of all time at only 30mil budget.

Blumhouse movies almost never have a smokin hot chick in a tight period dress.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

weekly font posted:

My job requires me to read about wild ways to die and while sometimes funny, can often give you real SAN damage. I didn’t know about this illustration so sorry about the reddit link. The worst part is it actually wasnt asphyx it was cardiac arrest due to a day of blood pooling in his head.

Sometimes real life is worse than the movies.

https://reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/s/bW8aetOyxI

ANYWAY, never watch Descent 2 its S-tier dogshit and not in the fun way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWwPg8ruxfI

I love this YouTube channel and this story has been on my "to watch" list for a while.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Gripweed posted:

Blumhouse movies almost never have a smokin hot chick in a tight period dress.

You make a solid point, are you writing this down, James Wan?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Gonz posted:

Brand new extra long Kane Pixels video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWNMsZ44ooc

It’s a continuation of this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjY897CCu4g

I continue to be extremelt hype for his feature length A24 movie. I hope we get some sort of teaser trailer soon.

Ugh the scene with the thing creeping up on him made my brain tingle in the worst way possible. My palms were sweaty just watching it.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Harminoff posted:

Wife and I tried to watch the grudge but fell asleep due to the slow start. She loves the saw series ( and big series are kinda preferred)

Also will take recs for truly scary ghost movies. Will be showing her hell house and grave encounters soon!

If you haven't seen either Green Room or Blue Ruin, the violence in those is incredibly intense. Blue Ruin is slower and more melancholic but Green Room is like 75 minutes of high anxiety in a 95 minute package.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Gripweed posted:

Night Creatures is a good time. I've really enjoyed every Hammer movie I've seen. They all have a solid little story, a couple really good actors to anchor it, a couple smoking hot babes, just a little bit of blood and murder. They figured out the formula.

I just watched this for the first time a couple of days ago and agree. It's a fun movie and Cushing gets a lot to do which is always a good thing.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Opopanax posted:

Did anyone who liked all three DGG Halloween movies see Exorcist yet? Because I’m one of those weirdos and I’m curious if I’ll like it at all

I loved Halloween 2018, really liked Kills, and Ends is my top-3 (maybe top 2) Halloween films ever

I had opening night tickets to Exorcist Believer but work was brutal all week and I overslept and missed the start time by an hour :negative: If things are better tonight or tomorrow I'm going to try to catch it this week, otherwise I'm planning for it and a rewatch of Saw X with friends early next week. I definitely won't have time for it after next Wednesday, Killers of the Flower Moon is loving 3.5 hours and that's going to physically burn me out worse than work :getin:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

weekly font posted:

Yeah, if that was in the early or mid 90s I remember reading about it when I was young and being moderately disturbed.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Gripweed posted:

It owns

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Harminoff posted:

seconding Lumbermouth on Green Room; it's fantastic, terrific performers including the late and great Anton Yelchin as the lead. also the main bad guy is Patrick Stewart as a Nazi and it's as good as that sounds

Terrifier 2 isn't really scary persay but it's one of the goriest movies recently. maybe ever lol

Hereditary is an absolute monster of a ghost movie too.

for practical gore fx i always return to Carpenter's The Thing and Cronenberg's The Fly, but they're much more sort of, mutation focused rather than carnage

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 10, 2023

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

My partner sent me a link to Old Navy skeleton pajamas that look just like these. I bought them alongside a Silver Shamrock skeleton mask so I can give out candy on Halloween in them

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It looked like they used a wide variety of effects to make the phantoms look spooky in different shots, with the simplest one just being luminous or super reflective paint. It was really cool since it was clearly all super old school SFX stuff.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
Anyone doing Jack o Lanterns this year? Thinking about hitting up the pumpkin patch even though we're in an apartment without a great way to display them and will get 0 trick or treaters.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I had to drag my family to watch Beetlejuice and it was worth it. Great performances by everyone, and lots of plot elements that are weird enough you just have to accept them for what they are, like the sandworms. Hell, Beetlejuice isn't even the focus of the movie, he just shows up to throw more chaos into the story. I was ready to cringe at the ending, but it was explained better than I remember. The "marriage" is just a Green Card thing to get out of a curse; he's lewd at Barbara, not Lydia.

Hot take: Beetlejuice did nothing wrong.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

I had to drag my family to watch Beetlejuice and it was worth it. Great performances by everyone, and lots of plot elements that are weird enough you just have to accept them for what they are, like the sandworms. Hell, Beetlejuice isn't even the focus of the movie, he just shows up to throw more chaos into the story. I was ready to cringe at the ending, but it was explained better than I remember. The "marriage" is just a Green Card thing to get out of a curse; he's lewd at Barbara, not Lydia.

Hot take: Beetlejuice did nothing wrong.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the sequel. I've liked every Jenna Ortega big performance so far and the supporting cast is solid, but there are people on this Earth now old enough to start an account on this site who were born the year Tim Burton last directed something good, and almost old enough to buy beer who were born the last time he did it for one that wasn't a musical or animated

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Psycho II is low-key great and Anthony Perkins is great in it, constantly being like

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The whole Perkins family is really a gift to horror.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Anthony Perkins, the writer of The Last of Shelia, also acted in movies???

/s

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

The whole Perkins family is really a gift to horror.

Oh my God, I never put that together.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Oh my God, I never put that together.

Oz Perkins was the young Norman in one of Psycho sequels too.

It’s also short for “Osgood”, which is a name, I guess.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Psycho II was such a big surprise when I watched it last year. I want to give Psycho III a shot as well if just to see Perkins' voice and personality shine through.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Psycho II was such a big surprise when I watched it last year. I want to give Psycho III a shot as well if just to see Perkins' voice and personality shine through.

All four films are very different in tone and I kind of love them all. 3 is The Sleazy One.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i made a horror movie painting tonight

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Splint Chesthair posted:

I did NOT want to know about this.

Yes you do, and I'm going to tell you. He died in a cave called..... The Nutty Putty Cave while his Mormon brother sang church hymns to him.

They basically also had to be like, "whelp, we can either breaker your legs in a million different places and probably not get you out, so we are just gonna sit here and watch ya die."

Edit: some one actually posted an article on it above.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sid Vicious posted:

i made a horror movie painting tonight

Amber heard strikes again

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

But it’s good I like it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU