Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Bruceski posted:

Is Island Sanctuary workshop XP a flat rate based on time crafting, or is there a way to optimize for it? I've noticed it isn't in proportion to cowries.

I'm pretty sure it's flat, so you just need to make sure you're crafting something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Bruceski posted:

Is Island Sanctuary workshop XP a flat rate based on time crafting, or is there a way to optimize for it? I've noticed it isn't in proportion to cowries.

It's flat rate.

If you are crafting, you're getting XP. Cowries are just based of supply/demand. XP is just "Yes/no - are you crafting?"

So if you don't care about cowries, don't worry about following any guides. Just throw up whatever you can craft that you have infinite materials.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Great, thanks.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

quiggy posted:

Blue Mage is really cool and I'm sad it doesn't seem like we're getting another limited job in 7.0.

I think BLU's one of those things that the devs personally really loved and put together during open time they had available, and then polished up and gave it to us afterwards. That was how YoshiP explained it, anyways. Until there's some open time again, when the devs aren't having to add Duty Support to old dungeons, rework two already existing Jobs (on top of adding new stuff to everything else) or do a game-wide graphics update on a 10-year-old MMO, there's not going to be time for another limited Job.

BLU didn't launch until 4.5 and not gotten substantial updates until the X.45 patches in ShB and EW, so I'd honestly never expect them to add another limited Job on an X.0 update. Being added during the patches when there's much less work needed to be done for already extant Jobs makes much more sense.

Onean fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 9, 2023

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I committed to finally getting my crafters and gatherers up to speed over the weekend. So far I have two Brilliant tools and an Indagator chestpiece to show for it, as well as a Diadochos top in order to make some money back. Of course, I know that just crafting the gear is one thing, pentamelding it is another entirely.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Why isn't the game as good as this image

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Mordiceius posted:

I’m having so much fun with blue mage that when I’m not playing blue mage, I’m wishing I was.

Blue is the best. Now that they're adding a dedicated face slot for glasses, letting blu's do more poo poo is my number 2 most wanted thing behind an account wide transmog index. It's stupid that blue mages can't do the potd-alikes or the exploratory zones at this point. Like just let me solo potd with blu, all it takes is a dedicated blu leaderboard, just let people do it! Find a way to not give necromancer or whatever if that's the holdup. And Eureka/Bozja would only be improved by letting blu's run around. Block em from BA and DR if you gotta. Let me do variant's as blu you corwards!!!!

Edit: Give me a mentor-roulette alike except it's blue mage only.
Edit 2: Uhh guess I am getting ahead of myself about variants, since those are 90 and maybe they will let blu in down the line when they raise the blu cap to 90.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 9, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

:sickos:

KoB
May 1, 2009
Now that BLU is 'caught up' (assuming it will always be 10 lvls behind) Im anticipating them announcing a new limited job

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
I'm so tired. I am going to die in a P10S clear party that can barely make it past turrets.

Edit: PF burnout is real and I think I'm going to take a break from this game.

Joe Chip fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 10, 2023

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Onean posted:

I think BLU's one of those things that the devs personally really loved and put together during open time they had available, and then polished up and gave it to us afterwards. That was how YoshiP explained it, anyways. Until there's some open time again, when the devs aren't having to add Duty Support to old dungeons, rework two already existing Jobs (on top of adding new stuff to everything else) or do a game-wide graphics update on a 10-year-old MMO, there's not going to be time for another limited Job.

BLU didn't launch until 4.5 and not gotten substantial updates until the X.45 patches in ShB and EW, so I'd honestly never expect them to add another limited Job on an X.0 update. Being added during the patches when there's much less work needed to be done for already extant Jobs makes much more sense.

Oh yeah, totally. Doesn't mean I can't want a thing :v:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

lines posted:

It took until like lv60 DRK to realise I'd essentially deleted the second skill of my AOE combo just after getting it. I feel you.

I was going to say "uh isn't stalwart soul at level 72, which is loving insane" until I looked it up and apparently they moved it to level 40 back in 6.1, thank goodness

Joe Chip posted:

I'm so tired. I am going to die in a P10S clear party that can barely make it past turrets.

you have my empathy for trap parties but I encourage you to keep trying. 10s is a really good fight but 11s is way easier. 12s is cool

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Joe Chip posted:

This was me with P3S and every loving party being birds. Still not over the burnout from that. :smith:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I gave PFing P1S a shot back in the day and decided that I probably didn't want to drive myself insane after a couple hours of attempts with people who could not understand the concept of clock positions regardless of how much it was explained. League might be frustrating as hell at times, but I've at least got a reasonable chance of carrying alone in ranked.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

Vermain posted:

a couple hours

:shepicide:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
one of the important skills to develop in PF is determining whether a group is a non-starter and when to simply dip. it's extremely mercenary and frustrating and feels bad to do which is why i don't PF anymore

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mister Olympus posted:

one of the important skills to develop in PF is determining whether a group is a non-starter and when to simply dip. it's extremely mercenary and frustrating and feels bad to do which is why i don't PF anymore

Yeah. In PF if you aren't willing to just abandon a doomed group (and you'll be doing this frequently), you're just going to subject yourself to suffering rather than progress. I could only take so many nights spending multiple hours going through one awful group after another before I abandoned the concept entirely. I'm happy with a mediocre static as long as everybody's having fun and at least making consistent forward progress, even if I'm not rocking BIS on week two or even month two.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
You can get a good sense of the overall group's skill within a few pulls, usually. When I was doing PF savage I'd give it 3 pulls before making a judgment; if the group feels pretty good for prog/clear then I'll stay for a while, if the group is bad I leave by pull #5.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

this does apply to statics too but the process is a bit longer-term and maybe more awkward, but also can be negotiated out in a way PF can't, and is more about incompatible goals rather than strictly just prog speed.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Shinjobi posted:

Why isn't the game as good as this image

flying sardine isn't a dps filler spell

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Being good at PF means knowing when to cut your losses and dip or not being afraid to call out the specific problem/person causing the issue and asking them to shape up.

This is especially true for mechanics that are 100% solo responsibility and don't rely on other people whatsoever. So for example, stuff like P5S Devour or current Zeromus EX Void Bio. If someone is repeatedly dying on a mechanic like that, that's an immediate red flag. It's harder for mechanics that do somewhat rely on other people since it's harder to tell who exactly screwed up (e.g. P10S bonds 3), but being aware of other players' movement and mechanic resolution capabilities and knowing when to leave alleviates a lot of frustration in PF.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

yeah it owns to be super upfront about raid problems without a hint of rudeness and just act kind of oblivious if people start having meltdowns about it. really frees you from any guilt

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The caveat is of course that this means you need to be good enough to do your own rotation, resolve mechanics AND be able to watch 7 other people and resolve their mechanics mentally to know what's going wrong and that's a lot. Throwing out a false accusation can collapse an otherwise good party.

An example of this is the meteors in Zeromus EX. If someone is blowing up on the first set, that's a red flag since there's a ton of space. But on the second set? Hard to tell if it's their fault or if they truly had no room because someone in the first set messed up. But that's why sac strat exists since there's a decent amount of time before the next body/heal check. But going even further, if you get a person who refuses to do sac strat to salvage a run because it isn't their fault that someone in the 1st set messed up meteors, that's a bad sign.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Realization just hit me, but I'm betting one Eorzea-buck that the next class will use a whip + pistol and go full Indiana Jones adventure fantasy.
One Eorzea-buck = one /pat

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It can take me ages to learn how to parse something, separate the noise from the data, but once I've turned a diagram on a page into space on the arena floor, *snap* I've got it never forget the thing. Zone into some 3 year old trial roulette, people say "I've forgotten this whole fight" and I'm wondering how that's possible because my feet are already doing the steps. Some people don't seem to have that same skill and I have no idea how to help. Unfortunately those people are in my static. And I don't want to cut them loose because I'd rather spend hours failing with friends than succeed with randos, that's where my joy comes from, but... bruh. This pattern never changes, after that mechanic goes out you always need to go HERE and then read the tell to go HERE and end up HERE. That's it, every time.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Bruceski posted:

It can take me ages to learn how to parse something, separate the noise from the data, but once I've turned a diagram on a page into space on the arena floor, *snap* I've got it never forget the thing. Zone into some 3 year old trial roulette, people say "I've forgotten this whole fight" and I'm wondering how that's possible because my feet are already doing the steps. Some people don't seem to have that same skill and I have no idea how to help. Unfortunately those people are in my static. And I don't want to cut them loose because I'd rather spend hours failing with friends than succeed with randos, that's where my joy comes from, but... bruh. This pattern never changes, after that mechanic goes out you always need to go HERE and then read the tell to go HERE and end up HERE. That's it, every time.

I'm just really bad at games but I love my wol a lot :v:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I joined a static in the middle of August that was on HH prog for P10S when I joined. It took us a full month to finally get the p10s clear. Half a month later and we were only up to D&L on p11s and lost an entire week to reclearing p10s. I swore in the middle of the raid which is something I never do, and realised my expectations of prog speed were completely out of whack with the rest of the static, so I left. Sometimes it’s honestly better for you to just cut and run.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Portrait Collage? Portrait Collage.

(Some of these are way old and quickly done but eh)

How are y'all making these portrait collages? They are very cool, as are the portraits themselves of course

Tagesreste
Jan 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Hi everyone!

If you didn't get enough Rival Wings during Mogtomes, we now have a calendar for scheduled RW events for the duration of patch 6.5. Like what I posted before Mogtomes, this will let you know where to go and when (roughly) matches should start. Each suggested world is there as a gathering point in case you want to form premades, but you can queue from anywhere on that DC. This may get adjusted if participation levels drop, but we're giving this a shot as it seems people have gotten through the new patch content really fast, and we were able to get consistent RW since Wednesday night.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Bruceski posted:

I suspect the unwritten second part of "I don't remember this fight" is "... because I ran it once or twice when it was fresh content three years ago." There are a lot of fights where I never developed any kind of muscle memory at all, and I suspect a lot of people are in the same boat.

Also, yes, some of us are not very good at video games, so please have patience with us

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Alder posted:

I'm just really bad at games but I love my wol a lot :v:

this is me. i feel that i suck rear end all the time when i have to play with other humans. the reality is that 97% of the time i am whipping rear end and slidecasting dosis while i pirouette and keep the regens and shields up. but its those 3% of fights where i do something stupid and get hit by the square enix building or w/e that destroys me

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

From my own experience of doing ult and savage prog, loving up and causing wipes is something that you have to accept and live with if you are going to spend any time trying to do the harder content. Most people are fine with others loving up (even in PF, in my experience), as long as people own up to it and are seen to be doing something to prevent it from happening the next time. The only real frustration, for me at least, is when people don't post at least a "mb" in chat, and then you notice the same person loving up on the same mechanism over and over again.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Note Block posted:

How are y'all making these portrait collages? They are very cool, as are the portraits themselves of course

I just edit screenshots with paint to get each portrait in a file by itself, and then copy-paste them all one at a time into the collage using paint again. The main thing is just making sure the dimensions of the individual portraits are all the same and I didn't accidentally crop one smaller than the rest.

There's probably a better way to do it with Photoshop or something, but I have no experience with that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

I suspect the unwritten second part of "I don't remember this fight" is "... because I ran it once or twice when it was fresh content three years ago." There are a lot of fights where I never developed any kind of muscle memory at all, and I suspect a lot of people are in the same boat.

That's the part that feels weird to me because I have a very kinetic memory. I did those fights a couple times three years ago too, but forgetting how to do them would be like forgetting how to drive to a friend's house I visited once ten years ago; completely normal for most people, but not something that happens to me. I have difficulty hanging onto names and faces ten minutes after learning them, but dances are forever.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
are the drop rates on ex mounts really this abysmal on release? 74 totems and i've seen a single mount drop from ex7

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Note Block posted:

I took a bunch of screenshots from the portrait menu, cropped them to the same dimensions, and then plopped them all into the same canvas. :v:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Frida Call Me posted:

are the drop rates on ex mounts really this abysmal on release? 74 totems and i've seen a single mount drop from ex7

The drop rates aren't published so we're not completely sure but it's very likely a 5% chance for a mount on release. You've been unlucky.

The raised chance in the next patch is likely 10%, which is further increased to 15%-20% -- I can't find a firm study -- in the next expansion.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

but also you're going to have one of those per expansion if you do them as they come out, it's just how it goes

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

No thanks I'll just unsync it when I'm level 100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

people call me sick for pf-ing savage, and they're right

but the idea of farming ex mounts synched terrifies me