Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

PokeJoe posted:

but if you try sometimes, well you might find, you get the ET you need

i’m already full stocked on alien kush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

but what about alien tush

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I mean if you view it through the lens of what lue would think is less than ideal maybe it is space communism

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

WEH posted:

I mean if you view it through the lens of what lue would think is less than ideal maybe it is space communism

:hmmyes:

better be some gay as gently caress space communism too:

PokeJoe posted:

but what about alien tush

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
after a lifetime of mainlining sci fi poo poo I am ready to know what the kind of career dweebs that call themselves "patriotic" find ontologically shocking

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Tighclops posted:

after a lifetime of mainlining sci fi poo poo I am ready to know what the kind of career dweebs that call themselves "patriotic" find ontologically shocking

It's definitely the gay space communism

I'm glad the books went well I'll do some more tonight or tomorrow for the people who requested some :cheersbird:

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
Not sure how true it is but I read on r/UFOs that he meant to say "Sobering" and not "Sombering"

The aliens might be disgusting straight-edgers :ohdear:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
also lol at various "science communicators" pushing sarcastic "skepticism" re: stuff like grush's claims and then going off to huff covid fumes maskless at crowded events

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I would rather lue simultaneously probe all of my orifices with an interdimensional multi tool at an undisclosed CIA black site than have covid chat enter this thread, please don't

Human.Frank
Jun 2, 2022

Carp posted:

Is it possible that we, as individuals, are at a lower level of complexity than other intelligent life in our cosmic neighborhood? Perhaps the AI alignment problem is actually a human alignment problem, and the whole we are a part of is not yet fully formed. Perhaps through AGI we'll discover a greater collective identity. There must be some science fiction out there that has glimpsed a similar arrangement.
The Culture Series is what you're looking for. According to the books AI will either pump you full of drugs and let you skydive for miles or help you ascend to the next plane of existence. I think one of the books has a description of how The Culture would introduce a lower society like ours to theirs but I can't remember if it included appearing to children in Africa and cattle mutilations or not. The series has it's ups and downs but overall great storyline, there's probably a thread, subreddit, etc etc

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i only remember one oblique mention of Earth in the culture books. it was an SC agent talking about a place where cruel and unusual punishment was banned but they regularly used the electric chair for executions. that was one of the short stories I think but the context of it escapes me

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I think the shock would be that take where aliens made religion. But that's so mainstream that it was the plot line for Assassin's Creed.

For those who haven't played it and likely won't play the first four games basically aliens created all religions and genetically sped up our development with an off switch. the illuminati have an artefact that turns humans into mindless worker bees for the duration it is on. 2012 was the aliens returning to harvest their crop or something. world leaders are in the know and have one of the orbs as corps work for aliens cause aliens colonize like humans.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

I would rather lue simultaneously probe all of my orifices with an interdimensional multi tool at an undisclosed CIA black site than have covid chat enter this thread, please don't

gently caress it, we can mention climate change and capitalism and Tarot cards in this thread

My intent however was just to express frustration at the so-called "reasonable adults" in the room being untrustworthy, obvious dipshits themselves on very important issues that affect people's lives directly. These same people will dismiss the whole David grush thing out of hand because they see "no evidence" but then they'll gently caress off and behave like they don't know how air works because they are intellectually lazy

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Pooky posted:

Not sure how true it is but I read on r/UFOs that he meant to say "Sobering" and not "Sombering"

The aliens might be disgusting straight-edgers :ohdear:

Ross seems to disagree, but on the bright side soul harvesting is back on the menu

https://twitter.com/MikeColangelo/status/1711386573621641299?s=20

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So definitely communism

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
*NOTE*
I am going to attempt to make this Tarot read as vague and open for as possible without any of my own personal details embedded, so that any readers of the thread may extrapolate their own meanings from the cards.
That said, setting and tone are obviously crucial to trances, magic, and séances, enough so that I think it important to set these details into the scenery:

The Draconid meteor shower was at its peak last night and I was sleepless, so on a lark I drove a car out to my father's house out in the sticks where the light pollution from the city is minimal. My dad and my stepmom were off on a trip to Greece, so I wasn't concerned I'd be bothering anyone by showing up in the middle of the night for a bit of stargazing from their driveway. I had brought my trusty tarot deck in the Golden Dawn flavor, that I'd purchased on a trip to New Orleans for a friend's wedding nearly a decade ago...
On the drive out, my mp3 player with some ~20,000+ songs randomly shuffled onto Pink Floyd's Saucerful of Secrets when I hit the freeway, and the 12-minute track ended just as I pulled into the driveway and unpacked the cards from my bag for dealing. It's always fun, to have the timings of things feel so auspicious!

I turned on my vehicle's cabin lights and got to shuffling the Tarot. As the querent, my question for the cosmos was:

How do we free our collective selves, for love, truth, and great justice?

I only ever have done tarot pulls using the 10-card Celtic Cross, but I can blame my familial heritage for this.
This is what I drew from the deck (the numbers are their chronological order):

THIS READ IS FOR YOU (using Tarot as Self-Analysis)

Card 1: "This Covers You"
This card reveals the current subject at hand and the environmental circumstances that would lead to this query being made of the Tarot:

The Emperor (IV) - Son of the Morning
Associations: Dominion, Control over Power, Patriarchy, Regal Authority, Worldly Ambition, Rational Thought, Security, Law & Order, Drive for Achievement, Success, Respect, and Stability

Card 2: "This Crosses You, for Better or Worse"
This crossing card is laid perpendicular to the first covering card and signifies the nature of conflicts and obstacles, or lack thereof, in the querent's way:

8 of Swords - Lord of Shortened Force
Associations: Feeling trapped, Restriction, Lack of Empowerment, Lack of Self-Assertion, Blockage, Binding, and Vicious Cycles

Card 3: "This is Beneath You"
This card embodies aspects of past influences, environments, behaviors, and experiences that have brought the querent to this crossroads:

Knight of Swords - Lord of Winds and Breezes
Associations: Rapid comings and goings, Forthrightness, Sudden Changes and Unexpected Situations, Expanding Social groups with added Conflicts, Mental Challenges

Card 4: "This is Behind You"
This card is an exploration of past influences from recent memory that are currently phasing out of existence, like recent events, feelings, communications, and even dreams:

King of Pentacles - Prince of the Chariot of the Earth
Associations: Worldly Material Success, Security-Minded Financial Advice, Practicality, Shrewdness, Steady Progress in Ambition, Patience in Growing Power, Management, Organization

Card 5: "This Crowns You"
This card is all about potentiality, and helps steer the querent to consider their ideals, goals, avenues for development, available opportunities, and helps to formulate a best possible outcome:

8 of Pentacles - Lord of Prudence
Associations: 'The Work Card', Apprenticeship, Education, Talent, Craftsmanship, Enthusiasm for Learning, Applied Effort, Labors of Love, Skill from both Knowledge and Experience

Card 6: "This is Before You"
This card reveals forthcoming circumstances and influences rising into being in the near future, like new people, fresh ideas, and future situations or conflicts, and it will require attentive action from the querent to resolve if they desire to fulfill the goals and ideals of their Crowning card:

7 of Swords - Lord of Unstable Effort (lol fuckkkkk, this guy. :ninja:)
Associations: Stealth, Doing the Unexpected, Guile, Cunning, Trickery, Cleverness, Disguise, "Popping Smoke", Shapeshifting, Outwardly Transformative Self-Preservation, Discretion, Evasion

OK~ All set, my fine folk? That's the querent's Cross completed. Now onto building up the wizard's staff, or a 4-card totem pole if you will. I ran out of room in the pic for the 10th card to sit on the tippy-top of the column, but it's no biggie:

Card 7: "This is your SELF, as the Querent"
This card sits at the base of the pillar and denotes the state of mind of the querent, including their stances, wants, feelings, and self-assessments:

2 of Swords - Lord of Peace Restored
Associations: Stalemate, Impasse in a Tense Situation, Controlled Emotions, Indecision, Suspension, Straining against Boundaries, Truce in a Struggle, Oppression in Delaying, Balancing Forces at a Simmer, the Aloofness of Paradoxes

Card 8: "This is your Environment and those around you"
Above the base card of the pillar goes the House card, which presents the foundations of the querent's material living situations and their interactions with others that have helped shape the question, like family, friends, coworkers and lovers:

Knight of Wands - Lord of Flame and Lightning
Associations: Escape from Difficulty, Changes in the Air, Creative Energies, Perpetual Motions, Influxes of New People, Ideas and Experiences, Adventure, Excitement, Love of Fun, Sense of Humor, Enthusiasm for Life

Card 9: "This embodies your hopes, fears, and expectations"
This card clarifies the querent's fears, desires, hopes and expectations, and occasionally includes factors related to the unexpected:

7 of Cups - Lord of Illusory Success
Associations: Daydreams, Lack of Focus, State of Confusion, Muddled Energies, Indecisiveness, Romanticism, Escapism, Overactive Imagination, Drug Addictions, Psychic Longings, Castles in the Sky

Card 10: "This is what will come" (:ohdear: no peeking unless you're reading along, please~!)
This card serves as the capstone to the pillar or wizard's staff and cannot be read in isolation to the others cards drawn in the spread (especially cards 5 and 6). It summarizes the most-likely future result for the querent, an outcome based on a culmination of where the entire spread has been leading:

10 of Cups - Lord of Perfected Success :cheers:
Associations: Joy, Realization of Hopes, Harmony in Relationships, Lasting Tranquility, Peace, Unity, Trust, and Rapport, Blissful Fulfillment from Emotional Completion, Serenity, Compatibility, Spiritual Happiness, Undying Love, Celebrations with Loved Ones

Epilogue:
When I drew the last card I took at least one serviceable picture and hopped out of my car - I didn't need to consult my tarot book then and there, I wanted to scope some shooting stars!

At the break of 2am, I was stoned and grooving to music on earbuds in the darkness and exulting in the night air, my eyes staring up into the stars above scanning for Draconids.
A rapper named Stymie was singing on a Nujabes track called Countless Stars, lamenting, "No one's there...", when a bright blue-white streak of light from a falling meteor ripped across the twinkling sky.

I pumped both my fists in thrilled excitement and rejoiced with a sigh, and then - as if on cue - the lights inside my dad's house turned on. He'd returned from his trip that very night, and I'd totally forgotten the dates! I booked it before he spotted me or my car through a window - I was suddenly spooked by the threat of embarrassment and juuust stoned enough to prefer not have to explain myself then and there, if I could help it! lol

Earlier today my dad called me to check in and say hi, to tell me he'd returned from his trip, and to set up plans for a lunch this week. Funny how these things tend to work themselves out in patterns when one maintains an openness to faith~ :blessed:

TLDR: Some things are out there tending the lights at the ends of all the tunnels, and even if you might be convinced they aren't around or able to help sometimes, they love you and look forward to meeting with you again! :h:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Slavvy posted:

So definitely communism

nothing would horrify the US more

President Xi please reveal your alliance with the aliens, we're all waiting.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/1003947

quote:

Researchers identify largest ever solar storm in ancient 14,300-year-old tree rings

An international team of scientists have discovered a huge spike in radiocarbon levels 14,300 years ago by analysing ancient tree-rings found in the French Alps.  
The radiocarbon spike was caused by a massive solar storm, the biggest ever identified. 
Nine such extreme solar storms – known as Miyake Events – have now been identified as having occurred over the last 15,000 years. The most recent confirmed Miyake Events occurred in 993 AD and 774 AD. This newly-identified 14,300-year-old storm is, however, the largest that has ever been found – roughly twice the size of these two. 

The exact nature of these Miyake Events remains very poorly understood as they have never been directly observed instrumentally. They highlight that we still have much to learn about the behaviour of the Sun and the dangers it poses to society on Earth. We do not know what causes such extreme solar storms to occur, how frequently they might occur, or if we can somehow predict them.  

100923_4
Oct 10, 2023
UFOs: Extremely Deep Pocketbooks

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Zodium posted:

can there be more pictures of the white pigeon :shobon:

absolutely there can

sometimes he wears a cape now.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Lmao my cockatiel would be on me like a cassowary if I tried to do that. That's a very regal bird.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sharknado slashfic posted:

Lmao my cockatiel would be on me like a cassowary if I tried to do that. That's a very regal bird.

yeah he's very majestic. alex would have it in shreds, and then me

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

:kimchi:

Carp
May 29, 2002

Human.Frank posted:

The Culture Series is what you're looking for. According to the books AI will either pump you full of drugs and let you skydive for miles or help you ascend to the next plane of existence. I think one of the books has a description of how The Culture would introduce a lower society like ours to theirs but I can't remember if it included appearing to children in Africa and cattle mutilations or not. The series has it's ups and downs but overall great storyline, there's probably a thread, subreddit, etc etc

Thank you for the recommendation. Reading all of the classic sci-fi epics would be worthwhile at some point. Most of my reading was in my late teens/early 20's, and I stuck mainly to William Gibson and Heinlein.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The bow matching the beak :swoon:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I'm glad the books went well I'll do some more tonight or tomorrow for the people who requested some :cheersbird:

Dude, it directly answered the question I was holding in my mind when I made my request. Could not hit a bullseye more centrally if you were a drunk, heavy set pro darts player

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Is there something that would ensomber literally every human regardless of ideology? What is the most somber

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Carp posted:

Thank you for the recommendation. Reading all of the classic sci-fi epics would be worthwhile at some point. Most of my reading was in my late teens/early 20's, and I stuck mainly to William Gibson and Heinlein.

Culture is the best, ive been reading them for years and still haven't read them all because they are best savored for a long time each.

Get this I haven't even read Use of Weapons yet

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Is there something that would ensomber literally every human regardless of ideology? What is the most somber

probably not, there's someone out there for every situation

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

goodness :shobon:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I've been thinking a lot recently about why so many parapolitics nerds are so hostile to UFOs and the idea that there's any truth to the coverup of NHI. There's the obvious - intelligence has used UFOs as disinfo, many popular UFO figures were disinfo agents (knowingly or not). There's everyone's favorite poor sap Paul Bennewitz.

But that can't be the whole of it. Disinfo has taken and takes many, many forms and found its way into every conspiracy narrative, sometimes involving the same UFO people. To believe one can separate all disinfo from truth is to be very naive. Parapolitics relies heavily, heavily on anecdotes and circumstance, as does believing what someone like Grusch says.

I don't have an answer nor any coherent ideas really but I do think the clean lines that conspiracy thinking can lead you towards parallel NDT brain thought, where it's just so obvious what's going on that anything outside of that is something to laugh at, is nonsense. UAP sightings are misidentified drones or natural phenomena, there is an answer right there. CIA black ops were funded through drug trafficking and money laundering through BCCI, it's all so obvious when you take a moment to look.

For my part, the demons who run the world keep everything else secret, so why not UFOs. We know definitively there is a coverup so why can't there be as much truth at the core of it as everything else they lie and steal about.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Lux Anima posted:

*NOTE*
I am going to attempt to make this Tarot read as vague and open for as possible without any of my own personal details embedded, so that any readers of the thread may extrapolate their own meanings from the cards.
That said, setting and tone are obviously crucial to trances, magic, and séances, enough so that I think it important to set these details into the scenery:

The Draconid meteor shower was at its peak last night and I was sleepless, so on a lark I drove a car out to my father's house out in the sticks where the light pollution from the city is minimal. My dad and my stepmom were off on a trip to Greece, so I wasn't concerned I'd be bothering anyone by showing up in the middle of the night for a bit of stargazing from their driveway. I had brought my trusty tarot deck in the Golden Dawn flavor, that I'd purchased on a trip to New Orleans for a friend's wedding nearly a decade ago...

Thank you for sharing!! That seems like quite a lot of swords in the querent's cross, my goodness. I have yet to try any pulls this complex, but it all seems to be fitting with a lot of recent thread readings saying "storm ahead, but beautiful clear skies after," no? here's to all of us :cheers:

mediaphage posted:

yeah he's very majestic. alex would have it in shreds, and then me

:lmao: oh don't worry, if I even intimated to Ama or Charlie I wanted to put a cape on them I would be minus one cape and at least three fingers. Pigeon is just an angel :allears:

Pooky posted:

The bow matching the beak :swoon:
it kept popping up into his face as he strolled around, and he briefly got so mad at it he spontaneously tap danced with rage. I felt bad for laughing but sadly for him it was hilarious so next time it happens I hope to film it

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

my bony fealty posted:

I've been thinking a lot recently about why so many parapolitics nerds are so hostile to UFOs and the idea that there's any truth to the coverup of NHI. There's the obvious - intelligence has used UFOs as disinfo, many popular UFO figures were disinfo agents (knowingly or not). There's everyone's favorite poor sap Paul Bennewitz.

But that can't be the whole of it. Disinfo has taken and takes many, many forms and found its way into every conspiracy narrative, sometimes involving the same UFO people. To believe one can separate all disinfo from truth is to be very naive. Parapolitics relies heavily, heavily on anecdotes and circumstance, as does believing what someone like Grusch says.

I don't have an answer nor any coherent ideas really but I do think the clean lines that conspiracy thinking can lead you towards parallel NDT brain thought, where it's just so obvious what's going on that anything outside of that is something to laugh at, is nonsense. UAP sightings are misidentified drones or natural phenomena, there is an answer right there. CIA black ops were funded through drug trafficking and money laundering through BCCI, it's all so obvious when you take a moment to look.

For my part, the demons who run the world keep everything else secret, so why not UFOs. We know definitively there is a coverup so why can't there be as much truth at the core of it as everything else they lie and steal about.
It's easy to forget if you aren't involved in UFO culture, especially offline, but the vast majority of UFO enthusiasts are right wing and conspicuously boomer (regardless of actual chronological age).

I feel like most parapolitics folks get to it from the left via a simple "billionaires conspire to run the world" base before branching into looking at what those billionaires get up to and having their brains broke by it. Whereas your average UFO believer gets there from 80s and 90s anti-government conspiracy culture (think Survivalist or Christian Identity shitbags). You might get some overlap around 9/11 stuff but otherwise you're more likely to find a UFO person in the wild spouting Q poo poo than talking about MKULTRA.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

My favorite part of the extended Grusch interview was when he calls out NDT as a PhD with a lack of curiosity, says he has credentials too, and then offers to debate him.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Azathoth posted:

It's easy to forget if you aren't involved in UFO culture, especially offline, but the vast majority of UFO enthusiasts are right wing and conspicuously boomer (regardless of actual chronological age).

I feel like most parapolitics folks get to it from the left via a simple "billionaires conspire to run the world" base before branching into looking at what those billionaires get up to and having their brains broke by it. Whereas your average UFO believer gets there from 80s and 90s anti-government conspiracy culture (think Survivalist or Christian Identity shitbags). You might get some overlap around 9/11 stuff but otherwise you're more likely to find a UFO person in the wild spouting Q poo poo than talking about MKULTRA.

alongside the active govt disinfo and the grifters, the "honest" signal-to-noise ratio is also so, so bad, it's easy to get cynical very fast. when you see the umpteenth classic hoax photo or story copy/pasted breathlessly or basic facts mangled for clickbait, it makes you want to throw your hands up

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

absolutely there can

oh my god i love pigeon

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

blatman posted:

oh my god i love pigeon

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

blatman posted:

oh my god i love pigeon

that is one beautiful bird

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

JNCO BILOBA posted:

My favorite part of the extended Grusch interview was when he calls out NDT as a PhD with a lack of curiosity, says he has credentials too, and then offers to debate him.

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
never stop bird posting. I have never been a pigeon fan, but learning about what nice lil companions they are has made me reconsider their weird bobbly nature.

100923_4 posted:

UFOs: Extremely Deep Pocketbooks
what the gently caress is this and why does it crop up in this thread every few weeks. i assume its old hat because no one mentions it, but.....uh wot