Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1711404032768594207

It could also be that Jake Sherman is trying to work the narrative to get him in the race so that he wouldn't have hitched his wagon to the Chicxulub meteor that is McCarthy's political career right now

hey.

hey now.

the chicxulub meteor's level of destruction is an aspirational goal for today's republican party. don't poo poo-talk it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I'm hoping McCarthy winds up with the speakership again mostly because it would be extremely funny

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I wouldn't say no to another round of marathon voting for Speaker. That was some quality entertainment.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I hope the house elects a speaker and then removes them the same day. The funniest option would be Trump Ron Desantis but McCarthy is more plausible.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
mccarthy ends back up as speaker of the house, after bargaining away to matt gaetz the option to give him a mighty kick in the balls whenever the mood comes over him. mccarthy is very smug about his political acumen

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

James Garfield posted:

I hope the house elects a speaker and then removes them the same day. The funniest option would be Trump Ron Desantis but McCarthy is more plausible.

Every morning, they elect a new speaker. Every evening, they move to vacate.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/MollyBeck/status/1711475104595460116

Sounds like the WI Lege has given up their pipe dream of impeachment

I'm a total dumbass about this, but are there laws that regulate a judge recusing themselves? It seems like that would be incredibly difficult to define, and all recusals I've heard have been voluntary to be all "Ceasars wife" about things.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I ate a probation for posting the Hamas attack headline and article.

It was in giant bold type on every American news outlet I look at and certainly seems USCE adjacent at a minimum. It seems to be generating a lot of discussion here but I don't want another time out. So...

Is there another thread that we should be discussing this issue that's more appropriate?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 10, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Agents are GO! posted:

The Republican speaker election is simply a real life embodiment of Vault 11 from FONV.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I ate a probation for posting the Hamas attack headline and article.

It was in giant bold type on every American news outlet I look at and certainly seems USCE adjacent at a minimum. It seems to be generating a lot of discussion here but I don't want another time out. So...

Is there another thread that we should be discussing this issue that's more appropriate?

Yes, there is an I/P thread in this very sub. It’s a general I/P thread and not specific to current events but it’s where the posting is.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Silly Burrito posted:

Absolute stupid power corrupts absolutely
But he didn't have power given the situation!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jakesherman/status/1711533159735607547?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ

That’s two off the board for Scalise or Jordan. Doubt they’re the only two. I really don’t see how they elect a speaker from here.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Agents are GO! posted:

Every law student, history major, and kid needing to take the AP American history test in the next five years just cursed your name and they don’t know why.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
is there any research on whether absolutely horrifying stuff that is also kind of inside baseball move the needle on the voter's intentions at all?

like, sure this is all a staggering display of incompetence and the continuation of the long running breakdown of our modern political system, but does anyone actually notice? the government hasn't even shut down yet

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You guys really need a rule that if the speakers chair is vacant for more than X days or if Supply fails then the President is empowered to call an election.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Oracle posted:

Every law student, history major, and kid needing to take the AP American history test in the next five years just cursed your name and they don’t know why.

McCarthy, McHenry, McCarthy, the next name on McCarthy's list, McCarthy, the third name on McCarthy's list, Gaetz (just so the house can move to vacate him 415-20), McCarthy, Skillings. Did I get it right?

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Oracle posted:

The year of the four speakers.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nervous posted:

McCarthy, McHenry, McCarthy, the next name on McCarthy's list, McCarthy, the third name on McCarthy's list, Gaetz (just so the house can move to vacate him 415-20), McCarthy, Skillings. Did I get it right?

Pelosi for 15 minutes
(so she can give herself her office back)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
If McCarthy was smart he would've preemptively resigned being Speaker when Gaetz started signalling and pull a Mao/Achilles and then just go radio silent/no comment until the Republicans come back to him hat in hands after flailing around for a few rounds unable to elect a new speaker; only agreeing to be speaker if given full confidence. No matter how long it takes. That's the only way to win this sort of brinkmanship in my opinion if "regular" horse trading wasn't going to suffice to give a secure enough speakership.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Raenir Salazar posted:

If McCarthy was smart

Yes, well.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/jakesherman/status/1711533159735607547?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ

That’s two off the board for Scalise or Jordan. Doubt they’re the only two. I really don’t see how they elect a speaker from here.
Trump's influence in the party is way less than assumed if Jordan doesn't win this

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Sarcastro posted:

Yes, well.

yeah, there are few things as bi-partisan in DC as "Kevin McCarthy is a gd moron"

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It only need six anti-Trumpers, right?

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

deoju posted:

I'm a total dumbass about this, but are there laws that regulate a judge recusing themselves? It seems like that would be incredibly difficult to define, and all recusals I've heard have been voluntary to be all "Ceasars wife" about things.

Several years back, the then conservative majority adopted a rule that said recusal would be at the discretion of the justices themselves. This was done so then Chief Justice Patience Roggensack would not have to recuse herself from a case involving a real estate group (have I mentioned the rule itself was suggested by the real estate group?). :v:

Melomane Mallet fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 10, 2023

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Raenir Salazar posted:

If McCarthy was smart he would've preemptively resigned being Speaker when Gaetz started signalling and pull a Mao/Achilles and then just go radio silent/no comment until the Republicans come back to him hat in hands after flailing around for a few rounds unable to elect a new speaker; only agreeing to be speaker if given full confidence. No matter how long it takes. That's the only way to win this sort of brinkmanship in my opinion if "regular" horse trading wasn't going to suffice to give a secure enough speakership.

This is also known as the Tsar Ivan IV maneuver, and requires a whole lot more spine/psychopathy than McCarthy has shown himself capable of carrying off.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

mccarthy ends back up as speaker of the house, after bargaining away to matt gaetz the option to give him a mighty kick in the balls whenever the mood comes over him. mccarthy is very smug about his political acumen

Every time it happens, a tearful McCarthy gives a presser complaining that the Democrats didn't physically stop Matt Gaetz from kicking him in the balls.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It seems to me that McCarthy is suddenly floating his name for a come back, because he was too loving stupid to realize nobody else can win the vote until the race to replace him started. Which, in an odd moment of serendipity is almost the move a smart person would have made. Except he threw a tantrum when he should have just magnanimously "stepped aside" to let everyone else see there was nobody else both dumb enough to run and capable of winning.

The funny thing is Scalise seems to have actually thought he could win.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
McCarthy may believe, or have believed, that the position was so toxic that once he stepped out, things would spiral so poorly that he'd be able to negotiate reentry on more favorable terms.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Melomane Mallet posted:

Several years back, the then conservative majority adopted a rule that said recusal would be at the discretion of the justices themselves. This was done so then Chief Justice Patience Roggensack would not have to recuse herself from a case involving a real estate group (have I mentioned the rule itself was suggested by the real estate group?). :v:

Hey now, conservative hypocrisy sucks but there's no need to come up with goofy fake rude insult-names for them, what are you even trying to imply by distorting their name like that from (checks notes) what the gently caress
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patience_D._Roggensack

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

ElegantFugue posted:

Hey now, conservative hypocrisy sucks but there's no need to come up with goofy fake rude insult-names for them, what are you even trying to imply by distorting their name like that from (checks notes) what the gently caress
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patience_D._Roggensack

Sounds like a name from One Piece

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Discendo Vox posted:

McCarthy may believe, or have believed, that the position was so toxic that once he stepped out, things would spiral so poorly that he'd be able to negotiate reentry on more favorable terms.

While I think it's very likely that the new rule remove the ability for Gaetz to gently caress everything up on his own, I don't buy that he actually thought he was coming back.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

A hundred years from now, gas-pedaling the Speaker's dick and balls every morning will be seen as an august tradition of the venerable House, its origins shrouded in time

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

A hundred years from now, gas-pedaling the Speaker's dick and balls every morning will be seen as an august tradition of the venerable House, its origins shrouded in time

what happens if the speaker of the house does not possess male genitalia?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Natty Ninefingers posted:

what happens if the speaker of the house does not possess male genitalia?

In that unlikely event, a dick and balls will be provided to the successful applicant.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Failed Imagineer posted:

In that unlikely event, a dick and balls will be provided to the successful applicant.

If they haven't already claimed it themselves.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

What about gentle backdoor negotiations?

(I'm so glad gas pedaling has entered the lexicon.)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Agents are GO! posted:

What about gentle backdoor negotiations?

Certainly, but all processes going through the backdoor may be subject to filibustering

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gyges posted:

It seems to me that McCarthy is suddenly floating his name for a come back, because he was too loving stupid to realize nobody else can win the vote until the race to replace him started. Which, in an odd moment of serendipity is almost the move a smart person would have made. Except he threw a tantrum when he should have just magnanimously "stepped aside" to let everyone else see there was nobody else both dumb enough to run and capable of winning.

The funny thing is Scalise seems to have actually thought he could win.

Eh, I think it was actually a clever move. Scalise and Jordan probably wouldn't be falling apart nearly as badly if McCarthy had been in the race from the start, since they and the media both would have been able to put their primary focus on McCarthy. By pretending to back out, he left them without an easy target to agree on, and ensured their descent into maximum clownshow bullshit. Now that they've sufficiently embarrassed themselves in front of everyone, he can come back in and start reminding people that Scalise and Jordan don't have to be the only options.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Republican caucus meeting today to try and get a firm gauge of support for each candidate and get the caucus to pick a Speaker with one round of voting.

Doesn't look like it is currently possible for anyone to get a majority, but they aren't sure how many people are posturing for negotiating purposes and how many people will follow through on their promise to only ever vote for one candidate.

Party leaders aren't confident that they will resolve it this week, but we will have a clearer picture by the end of today.

McCarthy continues to say he is absolutely not a candidate and not asking anyone to support him, but says he would accept the Speakership again if the caucus unified and asked him.

Jim Jordan appears to have the most support, but he still only has about 20% of the required votes from people publicly supporting him. Most of the caucus is not announcing their preferences publicly.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1711721825338613894

quote:

The Republicans vying to be the next House speaker will make their case to GOP lawmakers Tuesday, the first formal step to settle a race triggered a week ago after an internal revolt ousted Speaker Kevin McCarthy and left the House leaderless.

Tensions are high, and the two declared candidates have already split the conference. Majority Leader Steve Scalise, R-La., has secured some endorsements from center-right and swing district members, and right-wing firebrand Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, snagged the support of former President Donald Trump and various House conservatives.

A GOP candidate will need to win a simple majority of the House to be elected speaker — at least 217 of the 221 Republicans (no Democrats are expected to join Republicans, and there are two empty seats). It's unclear when that vote would take place, and it could again be a messy process like the 15 rounds of voting it took McCarthy, R-Calif., to win the gavel.

House Republicans met for two hours Monday, and multiple lawmakers told NBC News it wasn't clear whether they would elect a speaker by the end of the week. Rep. Kelly Armstrong, R-N.D., called it a "coin flip." Rep. Don Bacon, R-Neb., cautioned, “This is going to take a while to come to fruition.”

Meanwhile, Rep. Max Miller, R-Ohio, a Jordan backer, called for a one-week delay in the speaker vote, saying Republicans need to get things right.

"It's been less than a week. The body's still warm," Miller said.

The next speaker will face major challenges, including a Nov. 17 deadline to fund the government or face a shutdown, as well as a growing conflict between Israel and Hamas.

Scalise and Jordan will make their pitches at 5 p.m. Tuesday at a closed-door candidates forum. Then, House Republicans are expected to hold a private, secret ballot election at 9 a.m. Wednesday to choose their nominee before they call the floor vote.

A dark horse candidate is McCarthy himself, as some Republicans insist he be reinstated. They include Reps. David Valadao, a fellow California Republican, and Mike Lawler, R-N.Y., a freshman who represents a swing district.

“I know, among conversations that I’ve had with many colleagues, people are disgusted by what happened. It shouldn’t have happened,” Lawler told reporters Monday.

“I think there’s a vast majority of the conference that really wants to get back to the work that we were all elected to do. And a lot of people believe that Kevin McCarthy is the right person to lead us,” he said.

Lawler dismissed suggestions that McCarthy couldn’t get 217 votes after eight Republicans voted to oust him.

“Who can? Does anybody have the votes? No,” he said. “Last week was unprecedented. So I think for anybody to just declare, ‘Well, that’s not possible’ — obviously anything’s possible in this place.”

But some of the eight GOP foes who voted to oust McCarthy, including Reps. Matt Gaetz of Florida and Tim Burchett of Tennessee, say there's zero chance they will reverse course and back him.

"Math is real. Time to move forward," Gaetz wrote on X in response to Lawler.

Rep. Nancy Mace, R-S.C., one of the eight who voted to remove McCarthy, reposted Gaetz’s tweet, adding: “It is not at all surprising that people who vote for trillion dollar deficits, massive Omnibus bills and CRs can’t count.” (“CRs” are continuing resolutions, which are temporary spending bills.)

Rep. Andy Biggs, R-Ariz., rolled his eyes when he was asked about a McCarthy comeback, declining to comment beyond the eye-roll.

And even as McCarthy took on a speaker-like role Monday by holding a news conference and laying out his vision for U.S.-Israel relations going forward, he insisted later that he isn't running for the job.

“No, I’m not a candidate,” he said Monday on NBC's “Meet the Press Now.” “Whoever the conference picks I’m going to support.”

Still, he declined to endorse either Scalise or Jordan, and he didn't rule out returning to the position if his colleagues back him: “Let the conference decide that. ... I’m not going to be a player in that.”

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

“I’m not running but I’ll accept the position if I’m elected” doesn’t seem particularly different from running for the position to me.