Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Cassette Moodcore posted:

gently caress the Israeli government, free Palestine, it annoys the hell out of me people in America blindly support Israel

even calling it all "terrorism" is a deliberate negation of Palestine. it can't be a war, or an invasion because that would be admitting that Palestine is real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Hammerstein posted:

And he's right. After the Yom Kippur war they had to painstakingly recreate the myth of the invincible IDF, by huffing their own farts. In 2006 that myth got more cracks and over the last days Hamas shattered that illusion, together with the chimera of all-seeing, all-knowing Mossad.

The strongest army in the region turned out to be nothing but concentration camp thugs, led by morons blinded by hubris and racism.

And now they strike back in the only way they know, namely by dropping big bombs into tightly packed residental areas. Bankrolled and supplied by a kindly Uncle Sam, masturbating himself into a coma facing a growing mountain of corpses

for a supposedly defeated military they sure are doing a lot of bombings

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

let me tell you how seriously they take that duty

Israel stormed the Al-Aqsa mosque with riot cops and used flashbangs and rubber bullets on worshippers and Jordan Issued a Stern Statement.

not a single Arab government gives a poo poo about Palestine, they have grown fat on the scraps that capital has tossed them. hamas is doing this themselves because nobody is coming to save them.

palestinians thought the world would give a gently caress when they marched towards the walls in peace only to get murdered by IDF snipers like they were game animals in the thousands.

as it turns out the world western libs/leftists just want the palestinians to gently caress off and die in silence

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Typo posted:

idk how you'd classify carpet bombing civilians as a win. is the las vegas shooter the biggest winner you know?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Typo posted:

The Germans reduced Stalingrad to rubble. I guess that was them winning?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
you expect the usual frothing madness from Likud types. the sensible liberal zionists explaining that the policy of containing gaza has failed, and so it will be necessary to physically remove every gazan, that is a development I would have figured needed another day or so to crop up

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Typo posted:

Defeated in the sense of that their aura of total superiority was broken. Now they will mobilize and commit some of the worst atrocities since Babi Yar.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Cassette Moodcore posted:

gently caress the Israeli government, free Palestine, it annoys the hell out of me people in America blindly support Israel

It makes no sense. 100% of the countries we support are transactional, we give x to get y. Except Israel. We've proven we can install friendly Islamic leaders, what the gently caress is the purpose in supporting Israel now?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Grem posted:

It makes no sense. 100% of the countries we support are transactional, we give x to get y. Except Israel. We've proven we can install friendly Islamic leaders, what the gently caress is the purpose in supporting Israel now?

To evangelicals, bringing about the promised apocalypse.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Al! posted:

idk how you'd classify carpet bombing civilians as a win. is the las vegas shooter the biggest winner you know?

he has a rely high kdr thats for sure

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Apparently a gathering of journalists in Gaza where targeted by an airstrike with three confirmed dead. The update in the morning is going to be horrific, Israel has been bombing non stop.

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1711537538718896440

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1711533213728838080

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Zodium posted:

most people westerners think that by not submitting to genocide, the palestinians have tacitly agreed to being genocided

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
how bad is it in Gaza?

edit: because I just got up and it seems real bad

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

crepeface posted:

how bad is it in Gaza?

its been really really bad for decades

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Norman Finkelstein will solve this just wait

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Al! posted:

hey frosted flake do they make any ammunition where the primer and powder are separated and ignited by striking the middle from the side?

lol yeah, mercury fulminate, like on rimfire ammunition.

Al! posted:

i guess im asking is, could it be classified as a rim-fire warehouse?

drat it lol

I knew your question was too specific. I should recognize a fellow primary explosives aficionado.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 01:53 on Oct 10, 2023

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Malleum posted:

you shouldnt sleep on the d&d thread, theres an honest to god hasbra reg that bought an account this morning to defend israels e-honor lmao

it's nice to know this dump is still relevant enough to waste the shekels on :3:

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good news for Israel - The United Arab Emirates has reportedly warned the Assad regime in Syria not to enter the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/uae-said-to-warn-assad-against-joining-hamas-conflict-against-israel/

UAE said to warn Assad against joining Hamas conflict against Israel
Today, 3:26 am

The United Arab Emirates has reportedly warned the Assad regime in Syria not to enter the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas.

Abu Dhabi has also warned Damascus not to allow any attacks against Israel from its soil, the Axios news site reports, citing two sources briefed on the matter.

The diplomacy is part of a US-led effort to prevent Hezbollah and other parties from joining the ongoing war.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

crepeface posted:

how bad is it in Gaza?

it seems to be somewhere between moderate civillian terror and total sterilization of the gaza strip

i'm hoping it's not as bad as some people ITT are making it out to be personally, but yeah it seems really really bad

Engorged Pedipalps has issued a correction as of 01:58 on Oct 10, 2023

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

GI Joe jobs posted:

Norman Finkelstein will solve this just wait

Have Roger Waters or Brian Eno spoken since this all kicked off?

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Atrocious Joe posted:

They're all Franks anyway

if they wanted to be called franks they should have kept speaking frankish

Typo posted:

bernadotte was the best king

eeh

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

it seems to be somewhere between mild civillian terror and total sterilization of the gaza strip

i'm hoping it's not as bad as some people ITT are making it out to be personally

Operation total sterilization is in action they just aren't calling it that directly.

Wow betide any who disrespect the techno dance concerts.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

it seems to be somewhere between mild civillian terror and total sterilization of the gaza strip

i'm hoping it's not as bad as some people ITT are making it out to be personally

dude they cut off their water supply

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

To evangelicals, bringing about the promised apocalypse.

I always see this brought out and it seems like a post hoc rationalization, like how US neocons worked to twist US Catholicism to support what the US was already up to in Latin America.

I mention this because when real-deal American Evangelicals first went to the Middle East, their focus was on the Arabs, not the Jews.

Artillery of Heaven: American Missionaries and the Failed Conversion of the Middle East

(Why yes, I did first read this book years ago because of the title)

The complex relationship between America and the Arab world goes back further than most people realize. In Artillery of Heaven, Ussama Makdisi presents a foundational American encounter with the Arab world that occurred in the nineteenth century, shortly after the arrival of the first American Protestant missionaries in the Middle East. He tells the dramatic tale of the conversion and death of As'ad Shidyaq, the earliest Arab convert to American Protestantism. The struggle over this man's body and soul—and over how his story might be told—changed the actors and cultures on both sides.
In the unfamiliar, multireligious landscape of the Middle East, American missionaries at first conflated Arabs with Native Americans and American culture with an uncompromising evangelical Christianity. In turn, their Christian and Muslim opponents in the Ottoman Empire condemned the missionaries as malevolent intruders. Yet during the ensuing confrontation within and across cultures an unanticipated spirit of toleration was born that cannot be credited to either Americans or Arabs alone. Makdisi provides a genuinely transnational narrative for this new, liberal awakening in the Middle East, and the challenges that beset it.

By exploring missed opportunities for cultural understanding, by retrieving unused historical evidence, and by juxtaposing for the first time Arab perspectives and archives with American ones, this book counters a notion of an inevitable clash of civilizations and thus reshapes our view of the history of America in the Arab world.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

And food. They can just bomb anything with a roof then wait.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Al! posted:

yeah dude i know

the reality is probably close to as bad as it can be and it's loving me up so i'm trying to hope they're not just incinerating the entire strip block by block

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

it seems to be somewhere between moderate civillian terror and total sterilization of the gaza strip

i'm hoping it's not as bad as some people ITT are making it out to be personally, but yeah it seems really really bad

:allears:

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for the popular support rating of the current Israeli government - The ironclad social contract that Israeli citizens would serve in the military and live along enemy borders, and in exchange the army would defend them, was shattered Saturday when hundreds of Hamas terrorists breached Israel’s defenses from the Gaza Strip, pouring in by air, land, and sea on a rampage that would leave hundreds dead.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/no-one-to-talk-to-israelis-feel-abandoned-by-trusted-army-after-terror-assault/

‘No one to talk to’: Israelis feel abandoned by trusted army after terror assault
By AP and TOI STAFF
Today, 2:21 am

It was, they thought, an ironclad social contract. Israeli citizens would serve in the military and live along enemy borders. In exchange, the army would defend them.

That contract was shattered Saturday when hundreds of Hamas terrorists breached Israel’s defenses from the Gaza Strip, pouring in by air, land, and sea on a murderous rampage that would leave hundreds dead.

The infiltration caught Israel’s storied high-tech army completely unaware and stunned a country that prides itself on military prowess.

Further shocking Israelis was how long it took the military to respond. As thousands in southern Israel suddenly found themselves besieged, their cries for help went unanswered for hours. Holed up inside homes and safe rooms as terrorists sprayed bullets, torched homes, and hurled grenades, they turned in desperation to social media, to journalists, and to friends, beseeching the army to save them.

The weekend attacks and the military’s response brought an unsettling new sense of vulnerability and abandonment. Thousands of families had no idea whether loved ones were alive or had been taken as captives to Gaza. At the height of the violence, there was no one to turn to for guidance or information. Contact centers were eventually set up, but the focus was on soliciting information from families rather than offering it.

Six members of Jonathan Silver’s family are missing, and he approached authorities for help. At least three relatives are captive in Gaza, he said, and the others are assumed to be there, too. He saw a video of a cousin and two children taken hostage from their kibbutz, Nir Oz.

But the family has received no information, Silver said.

“We tried to reach everybody – the homeland command, police, friends, acquaintances, people on the kibbutz,” he said. And for hours, “there was no one to talk to.”

He’s particularly concerned for his aunt, who has Parkinson’s disease and needs her medication. He’s frustrated, but he also said now is not the time to criticize too deeply.

“I have a lot of questions and a lot to say. The day of reckoning will come,” he said, but “now I prefer to stand beside the army.”

In Israel, military service is compulsory for most Jewish men and women. In the eyes of many citizens, it is the glue that keeps the country together in a region widely hostile to its presence, and it’s recognized worldwide for its technological advances and intelligence-gathering capabilities.

That it could be taken so completely by surprise by a terrorist group is something Israelis are hard-pressed to fathom.

For Merav Leshem Gonen, a feeling of helplessness gripped her when her daughter called in a panic from a music festival that was attacked.

“Mommy, we were bombed. They shot at us. The car was shot, we cannot drive, everybody here is hurt,” Gonen recounted her daughter saying.

“She was talking to me and said, ‘Mommy, help us, we don’t know what to do.’ And I’m saying, ‘We love you, and it’s OK. We are trying to find a way to take you out of there. We are sending people,'” Gonen told a news conference outside Tel Aviv. “And I know I’m lying because we don’t have answers, and we didn’t have any answers. Nobody had.”

Journalist Amir Tibon had good fortune that many others didn’t: While the army struggled to regroup, his 62-year-old father, a retired general, entered the breach. Noam Tibon headed from his home in Tel Aviv to Nahal Oz, a kibbutz where his son, his wife, and their two young daughters were hunkering in a safe room. On the way, he connected with another retired general and a group of commandos.

After firefights with terrorists along the way, the elder Tibon extricated his son and family. More than a dozen others at Nahal Oz did not survive.

“The terms of the contract between us and the state had always been clear: We protect the border, and the state protects us,” Amir Tibon wrote in an article retelling the rescue for his newspaper, Haaretz.

“We fulfilled our share of the deal heroically. For all too many of our beloved friends and neighbors, on this black day of Saturday, October 7, the state of Israel did not fulfill its share.”

Maayan Zin said she learned that her two daughters had been abducted when a relative sent her photos from a Telegram group appearing to show them sitting on mattresses in captivity. She’s among dozens of distraught families who say there’s been a lack of support from Israeli authorities about their loved ones held in Gaza.

“There is no information. No one has contacted me since yesterday. Not the army, not the government, not the police,” she said.

At first, she couldn’t believe what she saw in the images. “I thought it was Photoshopped,” she said.

But videos she found online confirmed her worst fears. Dafna, 15, and Ella, 8, were shown weeping and terrified. Their father, her ex-husband, was seen being taken across the border into Gaza, his leg bleeding heavily.

“Just bring my daughters home,” Zin pleaded. “Bring everybody home.”

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

yeah dude i know

the reality is probably close to as bad as it can be and it's loving me up so i'm trying to hope they're not just incinerating the entire strip block by block

the situation is bad but they will be stopped, Palestine will win

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Atrocious Joe posted:

hope he stays there

????

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

fizzy posted:

Bad news for the popular support rating of the current Israeli government - The ironclad social contract that Israeli citizens would serve in the military and live along enemy borders, and in exchange the army would defend them, was shattered Saturday when hundreds of Hamas terrorists breached Israel’s defenses from the Gaza Strip, pouring in by air, land, and sea on a rampage that would leave hundreds dead.

Clearly Hamas doesn't know what they're doing and has doomed their own cause tho (which until this very moment was doing so good and everyone was happy with it)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

yeah man sometimes you realize your post sounds worse than you intended it to be so you go back and try to fix it

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for Israeli reserve soldiers - Reserve soldiers from all over the country complained on social media Sunday that they were not properly equipped by the military for anticipated large-scale operations.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/reserve-soldiers-complain-that-equipment-is-lacking-or-substandard/

Reserve soldiers complain that equipment is lacking or substandard
By SUE SURKES and JESSICA STEINBERG
Today, 9:02 am

Reserve soldiers from all over the country complained on social media Sunday that they were not properly equipped by the military for anticipated large-scale operations, with many seeking to privately purchase the required gear.

Israel on Saturday began drafting tens of thousands of reservists after the Hamas terror group launched a devastating assault into Israel from the Gaza Strip, killing over 700 people and kidnapping over 100.

But as reservists began reporting to their units near Gaza, in the West Bank, and at the northern border, complaints started coming in about a lack of equipment, with many fighters focusing on the need for ceramic plates for their protective vests. The plates help to prevent projectiles such as bullets from penetrating the vest.

On Monday morning, IDF spokesman Rear Adm. Daniel Hagari denied there were shortages and said the issue was simply a logistical one.

“There is no shortage of equipment in the IDF. It takes time to move some of the equipment, but there is no shortage,” Hagari said.

Nevertheless, many sought to privately secure the equipment they need.

On Sunday, army suppliers Marom Dolphin in Alon Tavor, northern Israel, was buzzing, as teenage volunteers filled boxes with army gear for delivery, and soldiers, or their friends and relatives, jostled to buy vests with soft or hard body armor plates.

By the evening, the highest level of hard (ceramic) body plate had run out, with the office promising to bring more from the factory on Monday, they reported.

Online, a reservist from the elite Engineering Corps unit Yahalom wrote, “We were given vests, but while most of them are new, they’ve been in storage for decades and there is no room in them for ceramics or equipment that a fighter should be supplied with to go into combat.”

Alon Peretz, 25, from Netanya on the central coast, wrote on WhatsApp, “Friends, I need urgent help. I must buy 100 ceramic vests and another 120 helmets.”

Peretz, who was set to join his Border Police unit on Monday, works as a fundraiser for startup companies. He returned from vacation overseas on Saturday and, on hearing that soldiers needed equipment, helped set up a group called Civilian Fundraising.

“We have teams of fighters without proper helmets, without vests,” he told The Times of Israel, citing the names of elite and regular infantry units that had submitted equipment requests. Some of the fighters were in the Gaza area, others on the border with Lebanon.

The 12 men running Civilian Fundraising — six in Netanya and another six in nearby Herzliya — also include Maor Udi, a reserve airforce technician, who distributes supermarket food to homes for a living and has a background in logistics.

“You can’t believe how quickly word is spreading,” he said. “We opened the first group at 9 p.m. last night and by 1 a.m. there were 600 people.” Since then, another four groups have been launched. “Some people want to help, others are on bases without equipment. I don’t know where the government is, where the army is. We’re trying to give the best help we can.”

Amit, from a different WhatsApp group (he asked to withhold his surname), was raising money to buy vests and other equipment for reservists in a tank company that he commanded from the last Gaza War in 2014 until the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic, as a conscripted soldier and then as a career soldier. He is now recognized as disabled and is not called up for reserve duty.

“We have around 50 fighters training and getting their tanks ready in the south, and they all need vests in case they need to leave their tanks,” he said. “Our first priority is to get ceramic vests for the tank commanders, those who put their heads outside the hatch and are therefore the most exposed.”

The tank teams also needed flame-resistant Nomex gloves but these cannot be purchased in Israel, he said.

Amit said he was trying to get hold of gloves from soldiers who had been released from military duty and no longer needed them.

He was also turning for help to relatives and friends in the US and asking Israelis abroad who had been mobilized and were flying back to Israel to go to an army store and buy a couple of vests to put in their suitcases.

“I don’t know if the problem is that they (the IDF) haven’t opened the storerooms yet” but he was getting constant messages for help, he said.

Sam Cogan, 27, who is exempt from reserve duty because of an injury sustained during training for an explosives unit, heard from his army buddies on the Lebanon border that there was little food, no basic equipment, no flashlights to see at night, kneepads, goggles or hydration packs. It was also freezing cold.

On Sunday, Cogan and his sister shopped for nonperishable food items such as dried sausages and instant noodles, along with flashlights, kneepads, and portable camping stoves to make hot water and coffee.

Having spent NIS 20,000 (around $5,000), Cogan opened a GoFundMe page at 4 p.m. to raise $5,000. By 8 p.m., the account had $8,000.

Cogan’s mother, Lainie Blum Cogan, remembered buying kneepads for the entire squad when her son was in active service.

“Infantry soldiers are treated very poorly in terms of food and equipment,” she said.

The issue of a lack of supplies for soldiers has been ongoing, despite optimistic pronouncements from politicians.

In January 2019, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared during a surprise visit to a weapons depot at the Sirkin base in central Israel that the military was “ready for the day the order is given,” and prepared to deliver a “crushing attack.”

The visit came in the wake of a report and subsequent statements from Maj. Gen. (res.) Yitzhak Brick, then the chief complaints officer at the Defense Ministry, about the poor standards of the army’s emergency storage units, among other things.

Saying that his claims were based on conversations with commanders in the field rather than military top brass, Brick charged that the current situation in the IDF was “worse than it was at the time of the Yom Kippur War” in 1973, when Israel was famously caught off guard in a surprise attack by Egypt and Syria.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/Thom_Hartmann/status/1711160523465933217?s=20

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

i wanna make it (wit chu)
RWN emergency episode part 2

https://pca.st/episode/356bb110-c481-4294-bddb-04b7d324885a

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1711516776666636441?t=IWWLxt_p25KCSzh7krvrXA&s=19

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

fizzy posted:

Bad news for the popular support rating of the current Israeli government - The ironclad social contract that[b] Israeli citizens would serve in the military and live along enemy borders,

You know, they could have stayed far, far away from them...

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for Israeli Lieutenant Colonel Alim Abdallah - Israeli Lieutenant Colonel Alim Abdallah was killed in clashes near Israel’s border with Lebanon.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/liveblog/2023/10/9/israel-hamas-war-live-news-israel-orders-complete-siege-of-gaza-strip

Israel names deputy commander killed in border clashes
1m ago (01:04 GMT)

We have more on the Israeli deputy commander who was killed in clashes near Israel’s border with Lebanon.

The Israeli military has identified the soldier as Lieutenant Colonel Alim Abdallah.

“The Deputy Commander of the 300th Brigade, LTC Alim Abdallah – from the Druze village of Yanuh-Jat – was killed”, the Israeli military said in a post on X.

https://twitter.com/IDF/status/1711530379222339816

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don't even know how to deal with talking points like this