Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is the same thing as they can't

Feels like this touches on the general disconnect where people think because something is technically feasible from an engineering/manufacturing standpoint, that makes it possible. When in reality structural political issues can make things just as impossible as no longer having the technical knowledge or equipment.

Thread favourite bar rad dun was in this boat last time I checked. The USA could technically rebuild its shipbuilding capacity the same way it could technically construct a healthcare system or a functional rail network. But in reality they can't, full stop.

Slavvy has issued a correction as of 20:27 on Oct 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

PawParole posted:

the shah was overthrown before Reagan was in office

Oh yeah I mixed up the awful GOP presidents. Also Iran Contra.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Banned for can't/won't reductivism

e: won't is much funnier than can't

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

e: won't is much funnier than can't

This is true.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

Feels like this touches on the general disconnect where people think because something is technically feasible from an engineering/manufacturing standpoint, that makes it possible. When in reality structural political issues can make things just as impossible as no longer having the technical knowledge or equipment.

Thread favourite bar rad dun was in this boat last time I checked. The USA could technically rebuild its shipbuilding capacity the same way it could technically construct a healthcare system or a functional rail network. But in reality they can't, full stop.

This drives me crazy since I did some research on retooling Canadian industry during WW2 and Canadian wartime production of guns and associated systems. It's very, very hard to explain to the average person how far we've fallen, even in the military. I imagine it's just about impossible to explain to a civilian that pipe and boilermakers were retooled to make hundreds of guns and carriages, but we can't do that anymore because we don't even have the civilian industries anymore. There are no Canadian railroad workshops to convert from making locomotives to Leopard 2s, no manufacturer of boilers, grain elevating and conveying machinery, hydraulic turbines, tugs, and reciprocating and centrifugal pumps to make 60% of GPMGs in service worldwide, plus the machinery for 4 destroyers and hundreds of light antiaircraft guns. You see what I mean? That's not even getting into the state's will or ability to harness industry (lol), the state abolished tariffs and let the industry dissolve.

Okay, take that a step further. What about pure military industry? Do you really imagine the state able to purchase land, get started on a factory in 2 months, have it built and productive in 8, and produce 1 million rifles in a few years? To oversee the creation of a specialized industry where 126,000 men and women are employed? That can build 4,047 naval vessels, including over 300 anti-submarine warships, 4 destroyers, and 410 cargo ships?

It doesn't matter if we could do this stuff in theory, nobody can even imagine doing it, let alone bring themselves to try.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, basically they could theoretically do it, but it would costs billions in new costs and take years, and eventually produce a fighter that probably is going to be not nearly worth the price.

The US theoretically has resources in terms of USD, but also tremendous liabilities and would need to convert a ton of potential spending to restart parts of its MIC that have basically have been dismantled.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 01:04 on Oct 10, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
the "we can build high speed rail just as fast as china if we went serious, ackstually" argument

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
i could build high speed rail whenever I want, super easy. I just don't want to is all.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

America doesn't build HSR in America to prove that it could not build other things, if it wanted to

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, basically they could theoretically do it, but it would costs billions in new costs and take years, and eventually produce a fighter that probably is going to be not nearly worth the costs.

The US theoretically has resources in terms of USD, but also tremendous liabilities and would need to convert a ton of potential spending to restart parts of its MIC that have basically lapsed.

in other words cant do it

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Centrist Committee posted:

in other words cant do it

It is bad enough it is probably a waste to try it versus just building a new fighter.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ardennes posted:

It is bad enough it is probably a waste to try it versus just building a new fighter.

what if we just let the PLA in and kill them through biohazard housing, toliets and food in US bases

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think neoliberalism is so entrenched now that even legally, to say nothing of legislatively, they wouldn't be able to more-or-less force a cutlery maker to make Bren guns.

It's not just things the government has forgotten how to do, it's things that I'm reasonably sure they're not "allowed" to do anymore.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Palladium posted:

the "we can build high speed rail just as fast as china if we went serious, ackstually" argument

a successor state could do it, but lol at the underpants gnomes level fantasy of the current state reforming itself to be able to do mega-projects again

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Palladium posted:

what if we just let the PLA in and kill them through biohazard housing, toliets and food in US bases

Now picturing PLA troops walking into a McDonald's and reacting like the dudes who liberated Auschwitz

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Crossposting from the econ thread,

Mandoric posted:

So, uh, not sure what thread to even put this in, it's suitable for P/I, U/R, WW3, or here equally.

- Panama canal restricted
- Suez potentially within 50 miles of a war zone, additionally the Red Sea overlooked by Yemen in a situation where Iran, Iraq, and the Saudis might all find themselves loosely sharing a side
- Trunk rail lines from east Asia run through either Iran or Russia; even trucks have to cross Iran and Iraq, which has threatened involvement if the US intervenes directly, unless using the Caspian ferry crossing which appears to be an utter "budget 1-7 days to cross depending on how long the ferry has to wait to dock, expect to pay a deboarding fee based on how desperate the captain thinks you are" shitshow
- Oh, and the only four-lane highway for that Caspian crossing also involves the Azeri-Armenian border

If the P/I situation develops into a regional war or the US hawks get their way, that leaves shipping to Europe forced to go around either the Cape of Good Hope or Cape Horn, doesn't it? gently caress, Imperial Military Geography devotes two whole chapters to basically going "lol if this happened we'd be hosed" and that was the world-state of a century ago with an assumption that Britain would in fact benefit from France and Germany getting squeezed, could manufacture anything it needed as long as it could get the raw materials, and could get almost all of the raw materials from Canada or the African colonies. Can't imagine what it would look like trying to spread the pain across a JITified final-assembly-focused EU.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Like 40% of the British budget went to cruisers on foreign station. The US is not going to be able to guarantee the treat supply.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Lostconfused posted:

Well they're not making anymore F-22, so it would have to be F-15.

Very impressive that they can't restart the production of F-22 at all. Just making a weapon you can never use, but it's not even a deterrent like a nuke.

Imagine trying to restart production of -anything- where all the physical tools forms and inspection devices have been eradicated, like some random car model from 1983 or whatever. Even if you have the blueprints, there is a lot of special tooling and fixturing that needs to be created measured and approved before you can begin machining operations

Edit: didn't refresh thread before posting, lol don't care

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I think neoliberalism is so entrenched now that even legally, to say nothing of legislatively, they wouldn't be able to more-or-less force a cutlery maker to make Bren guns.

I'm sure we could pass a law offering tax credits for armament manufacturing in low-income areas.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

Like 40% of the British budget went to cruisers on foreign station. The US is not going to be able to guarantee the treat supply.

A large powerful yet overstretched empire that over promises to it's many vassals then can't deliver in a time of need, leaving them up the creek. Fractional reserve military power.

Feels familiar but I can't put a name on it.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
We would pay private companies to build the things and it’ll all not get built at all and still cost 40000 gazillion dollars. not only would we lose a war, we’d go bankrupt paying the billionaires to lose it as they sit in their private villas in some country that isn’t at war.

on the other hand, maybe global warming will slow a bit once the US shuts down so who can say if a war is good or bad?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

500excf type r posted:

Imagine trying to restart production of -anything- where all the physical tools forms and inspection devices have been eradicated, like some random car model from 1983 or whatever. Even if you have the blueprints, there is a lot of special tooling and fixturing that needs to be created measured and approved before you can begin machining operations

one of the big war-hawk demands is that the US restart plutonium production, which will be funny af to see how big of a money pit that will be

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

500excf type r posted:

Didn't they look into doing this for the Saturn V and decide it was impossible and easier to just give Elon money

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

DesertIslandHermit posted:

A shame that Ian Miles Cheong apparently deleted the tweet thread explaining that Iran can be beaten in 6 months because the new US generation plays Fortnite.

Nerds trying to posture their escapist hobbies as exploitable virtues is always the most pathetic thing.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

Didn't they look into doing this for the Saturn V and decide it was impossible and easier to just give Elon money

Part of it is that you can’t (cheaply) recreate old technology because even the screws and wires are different, so what were cheap commercial components then would have to be painstakingly made only for this application now. Think incandescent indicator lights and things like that.

When we restore guns for the museum, we have to either hunt down British screws and bolts and other fittings from the 30’s, or worse, 1880’s or 1900’s, or make it ourselves.

Some things you can’t do. For example, wound asbestos rags were used as part of the recoil mechanism, wrapping around part of the cylinder. Obviously, we can’t do that now.

There are also materials that were cheap then but are prohibitively expensive now like brasses and bronzes.

It all can be done, 6pdr and 17pdr AT guns, 13, 18 and 25pdr field guns all restored to firing condition and firing blanks and saluting rounds, BL 4.5 inch and 5.5 inch guns in the works. The thing is, each of these took months or years of work whereas the assembly lines were making them in days.

Now, having said all that, it’s not actually easier to just give Elon money, in terms of an easier way to have a functioning space program. If you take my example above, people would argue that just giving BAE money is an easier way to get field guns than recreating the capacity of the arsenals that built them. The thing is, it would be easier to supply them once the requisite capacity exists, and without a profit motive you could have them turn specialized screws or whatever else you need to do.

I guess I’m trying to say two things. Making new “old” technology is small scale, specialized and expensive, like the people who make Napoleonic uniforms and muskets for reenactors. That does add costs and complications, for sure. However, if the project is taken seriously, you could do all of these things, and get better results than dumping money onto private sector.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
yeah no poo poo, everyone knows we “can” go to the moon or build HSR or provide medicine and clean drinking water to those in need but we all know we can’t actually build anything with actual use value anymore because the entire system is designed to siphon off value before it can be allowed to take the form of actual, useful (read: functional) commodities. it’s not even enough to build useless poo poo anymore, that was the dream of the 1990s. now everything is designed around service contracts and extraction of monopoly rents. this cursed dying empire literally can’t produce use values anymore

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Part of it is that you can’t (cheaply) recreate old technology because even the screws and wires are different, so what were cheap commercial components then would have to be painstakingly made only for this application now. Think incandescent indicator lights and things like that.

When we restore guns for the museum, we have to either hunt down British screws and bolts and other fittings from the 30’s, or worse, 1880’s or 1900’s, or make it ourselves.

Some things you can’t do. For example, wound asbestos rags were used as part of the recoil mechanism, wrapping around part of the cylinder. Obviously, we can’t do that now.

There are also materials that were cheap then but are prohibitively expensive now like brasses and bronzes.

It all can be done, 6pdr and 17pdr AT guns, 13, 18 and 25pdr field guns all restored to firing condition and firing blanks and saluting rounds, BL 4.5 inch and 5.5 inch guns in the works. The thing is, each of these took months or years of work whereas the assembly lines were making them in days.

Now, having said all that, it’s not actually easier to just give Elon money, in terms of an easier way to have a functioning space program. If you take my example above, people would argue that just giving BAE money is an easier way to get field guns than recreating the capacity of the arsenals that built them. The thing is, it would be easier to supply them once the requisite capacity exists, and without a profit motive you could have them turn specialized screws or whatever else you need to do.

I guess I’m trying to say two things. Making new “old” technology is small scale, specialized and expensive, like the people who make Napoleonic uniforms and muskets for reenactors. That does add costs and complications, for sure. However, if the project is taken seriously, you could do all of these things, and get better results than dumping money onto private sector.

DC-3s and C-47s, which are still in use commercially in a few places because they're still really good at certain tasks (bush cargo operations in particular like them), are getting annoyingly difficult to keep running because no one makes the parts anymore and literally all of the remaining spare parts stocks were purchased by one company, who charges out the rear end for them even though they still have shitloads of everything lying around, because where else are you gonna go?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Centrist Committee posted:

yeah no poo poo, everyone knows we “can” go to the moon or build HSR or provide medicine and clean drinking water to those in need but we all know we can’t actually build anything with actual use value anymore because the entire system is designed to siphon off value before it can be allowed to take the form of actual, useful (read: functional) commodities. it’s not even enough to build useless poo poo anymore, that was the dream of the 1990s. now everything is designed around service contracts and extraction of monopoly rents. this cursed dying empire literally can’t produce use values anymore

exchange value becomes use value for the capitalists

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

fart simpson posted:

exchange value becomes use value for the capitalists

number go up

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

got any better ideas?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

It's not just things the government has forgotten how to do, it's things that I'm reasonably sure they're not "allowed" to do anymore.

Have you read the WSJ article that was doing the "at what cost" bit for Russia's military industry expanding?

Russia’s Economy Goes All In on War - WSJ

quote:

The militarization of the economy has propped up industrial production, provided jobs and helped raise wages. The growth it generates, coupled with ample revenues from high global oil prices, means that Moscow can continue to fund the war for now, economists say.

At the same time, the ramped-up defense outlays have fueled imbalances. The country has grappled with surging inflation and a labor shortage. The military spending will do little to raise long-term productivity, economists say.

The government will also need to borrow more to cover the growing war bill. High military spending is diverting resources away from fields such as education and healthcare, which are essential for long-term growth.

“The longer the war lasts, the more addicted the economy will become to military spending, raising the risk of stagnation or even outright crisis once the conflict is over,” said Vasily Astrov, an economist at the Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies.

In Tambov, a city south of Moscow, a bread-baking factory is now making drones for the military.

Employees at the Tambovsky Bakery are assembling carbon frames, antennas and camera holders, using 3-D printers to make some of the parts. They then package the quadcopters in camouflage backpacks to be sent to the front, according to the firm’s posts on VK, a Russian social network. The company didn’t respond to a request for comment.

Last month, the bakery tested a new batch of its Bekas drones. Alexander Rudik, the project coordinator at the company, said in an earlier video posted on VK that bread production isn’t affected.

Siberia-based quad-bike maker Ykt-Sokol, whose vehicles are usually used for hunting, carrying logs or crossing lakes, is now supplying them to the Russian army in Ukraine. It is currently working on a government contract for 70 vehicles, the company told state newswire TASS in August. It didn’t respond to a request for comment.

The militarization of the economy has sparked controversy in some quarters.

Several shopping centers in the city of Izhevsk, west of the Ural mountains, have been converted into drone-making enterprises. Local residents signed petitions to protest weapons manufacturing in their neighborhood and a tenant of one of the shopping centers filed a lawsuit for breach of contract, according to the petitions, the tenant’s website and a court document. Aeroscan, the company that has taken over one of the malls, didn’t respond to a request for comment.

In September, Putin visited one of the shopping centers to inspect the drone production.

like yeah sure russia's making more drones out of shopping malls and bakeries but have you considered inflation goes up and you have a labor shortage!?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

WW3 looking more likely and more losery than ever folks

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

500excf type r posted:

I'll admit it does bring a smile to my face imagining a total effort by the government to make from scratch brand new Renault Alliances

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

poemdexter posted:

We would pay private companies to build the things and it’ll all not get built at all and still cost 40000 gazillion dollars. not only would we lose a war, we’d go bankrupt paying the billionaires to lose it as they sit in their private villas in some country that isn’t at war.

on the other hand, maybe global warming will slow a bit once the US shuts down so who can say if a war is good or bad?

We already pay private companies to develop things. I say develop and not build because, lol, where's the fun in finishing a project?
Very little development of stuff for the DoD doesn't get funded by the DoD from the ground up. I assume something similar happens in medical research.
The idea that our free economy is what drives innovation is bullshit. Our government spending drives innovation.
Our entire Military–industrial complex-based economy is driven by dudes who get paid by US tax dollars to build moats around Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, and SAIC.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

tadashi posted:

We already pay private companies to develop things. I say develop and not build because, lol, where's the fun in finishing a project?

relatable

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

wanted to revisit this pdf... lol again

Securing Defense-Critical Supply Chains - Feb 2022 (pdf).

quote:

The Military Services have experienced casting and forging capability and capacity challenges that can be attributed in part to the impacts of offshoring and waves of industry consolidation since the mid- 20th century. For example, the United States has only one foundry that can produce the large titanium castings required for some key systems. The Army has also identified shortfalls in production and heat treatment of specialty alloys that are mission critical. The Navy has documented C&F capacity and quality issues affecting many facets of shipbuilding. The Air Force has identified needs for the ability to cast single crystal turbine blades and large thin-wall titanium components, an additional source for an extrusion press used for powder nickel super alloy billets, and downstream post-processing capacities and capabilities—including heat treating, coating, hole drilling, machining, and hot isostatic pressing to help eliminate unwanted voids and provide increased strength in cast products. Although some suppliers have updated equipment over time in an attempt to meet the Services’ needs, many commercial and OIB C&F plants have aging equipment or are limited by existing facilities, infrastructure, and, for commercial firms, state and federal operating permits.

U.S. supply chains currently involve significant materials and products from foreign manufacturers. Multiple U.S. sources report that China and other foreign suppliers can often deliver a completed item for the same cost that a U.S. forge will pay for the raw materials needed to produce the parts of an item. As shown above in Figure 4, China is the world’s leading producer of cast products by a wide margin. DoD counts on foreign countries, including China, for very large cast and forged products used in the production of some defense systems and many machine tools and manufacturing systems in which the DoD is reliant.

As domestic capacity and overall market share erode, fewer U.S. and allied firms can afford improvements to equipment and processes. Limited access to capital for America’s small and medium size producers has hindered their ability to invest in the necessary technologies. This includes the adoption of innovative processes and complementary technologies such as additive manufacturing, robotic automation, and digital engineering to support reverse engineering of aging parts.

Low-volume work driven by U.S. Government and DoD procurement practices incurs high startup costs and produces limited profits. Many small and medium sized manufacturers find it challenging to create sustainable businesses or production lines in this space. Although many trade policy actions are conducted pursuant to specific authorities and designed to remedy injury to domestic industry and respond to unfair or unreasonable foreign trade practices, participants in DoD industry listening sessions reported that tariffs on raw materials used in U.S.-made C&F parts made U.S. products significantly more expensive than parts made in China, driving U.S. suppliers out of business. Other challenges included traditional concerns about non-standard technical data packages, complex contracting process, burdensome accounting system requirements, small and unreliable demand, and a slow Government sales cycle.

quote:

The nearly 30 million small businesses in the United States account for over 40 percent of U.S.
GDP and provide critical goods, services, and technologies for the manufacturing industry and defense supply chains. The DoD has a strategic interest in leveraging small business innovation and capabilities to address global challenges and ensure mission success. A strong, dynamic, and robust small business industrial base is vital to national security and is an important pillar in the DoD’s ability to utilize the most cutting-edge technologies and advanced capabilities. The DoD has spent over $80 billion in prime contracts to small businesses over the past two fiscal years, and the DoD recognizes small businesses are key to ensuring U.S. technical dominance.

Despite their importance, small businesses face an uphill battle in participating in defense procurements. Government business practices can create barriers and reduce incentives for the most innovative businesses that may be able to supply the DoD with goods and services critical to national security. Some of these practices include having multiple or ambiguous points of entry into the defense marketplace, unclear communication of opportunities for small businesses, lack of access to information on requirements for bids and the complexity of Federal contracting requirements. Over time, this leads to a deterioration in capabilities and innovation to the detriment of the small business sector and the DIB.

Furthermore, the broader industrial and supply chain challenges faced by the United States disproportionately impact small business suppliers. An erosion of industrial capabilities over the last several decades has diminished critical prime contractor suppliers and impacted the sub-tiers of domestic supply chains. These vulnerabilities mainly impact small businesses, which represent a majority of prime and sub-tier defense suppliers. By recognizing these vulnerabilities now, DoD can respond by leveraging a diverse set of small business suppliers to strengthen domestic supply chains, reduce reliance on sole-source supply, and ensure the United States continues to lead in innovation.

The United States’ most innovative small businesses are under increasing threat from attempts by foreign actors to influence or disrupt them through adversarial capital, cyberespionage, or a direct cyberattack. DoD is working to develop additional self-assessment and training resources for small businesses to support cyber compliance.

quote:

Diminished Domestic Manufacturing Capacity
During the period of 2010 to 2019, the U.S. trade deficit in manufactured goods more than doubled, reaching $833 billion, and productivity in the manufacturing sector fell by 4 percent over the same period. Today there are 25 percent fewer U.S. manufacturing firms and plants than there were in 1997, reflecting not only closures but also fewer manufacturing startups. Loss of domestic manufacturing capacity can have a deleterious effect on defense capabilities, resulting in the DoD securing more components from foreign sources. The increased dependence on imports has inflated the size and complexity of supply chains, and created more opportunities for supply chain disruptions and potential threats.

Over the past few decades, the United States has moved from a manufacturing economy to largely becoming a service economy. One reason is consumer’s preference—including Government consumers—for lowest cost items, which has driven labor-intensive manufacturing to low-wage countries. This offshoring has reduced SMM’s capacity by more than 50 percent since the 1990s. Also, increasingly complex technology is often contingent upon advanced manufacturing and compelling specialization, which is often capital intensive and out of reach or difficult for new entrants. By the beginning of this decade—and driven home by the emergence of COVID-19 pandemic—it became abundantly clear that the United States is not able to support a wide spectrum of demand with our domestic manufacturing capacity.

Uneven Access to Investment Capital
Annual manufacturing investment growth averages 1–2 percent. This is lower than the overall GDP growth rate, indicating that society is underinvesting in manufacturing. Some of the contributing factors to this low investment growth are: limited venture capital interest, high cost of capital compared to Europe and Asia, and the outsourcing of manufacturing to other countries using the strategy “Invent here, and Manufacture there.” This strategy captures increased margins by manufacturing in lowwage countries, but lowers the incentive to invest in manufacturing domestically.

Low venture capital interest is attributed to the fact that venture capitalists seek large and quick returns on investment and the manufacturing sector requires longer than average times to yield returns. In addition, investments in manufacturing require larger amounts of investment capital for facilities, equipment, and materials. As such, the key metric of return on assets is not as favorable for the manufacturing sector as for software or services.

As noted in other specific supply chain sectors, manufacturing and supply chain resiliency is greatly impacted by intrinsic aspects of the acquisition policy for DoD product procurement. The cyclical demand and the low-volume nature of DoD procurement, when compared to commercial products, creates volatility in the manufacturing supply chain. These factors limit the ability of companies to invest in new manufacturing technologies and capital equipment, and creates a disincentive for new entrants to the DoD supply chain, particularly from nontraditional companies.

quote:

Low-volume work driven by US Government and DoD procurement practices incurs high startup costs and produces limited profits. Many small and medium sized manufacturers find it challenging to create sustainable businesses or production lines in this space. Although many trade policy actions are con- ducted pursuant to specific authorities and designed to remedy injury to domestic industry and respond to unfair or unreasonable foreign trade practices, participants in DoD industry listening sessions reported that tariffs on raw materials used in U.S.-made C&F parts made U.S. products significantly more expen- sive than parts made in China, driving US suppliers out of business. Other challenges included tradi- tional concerns about non-standard technical data packages, complex contracting process, burdensome accounting system requirements, small and unreliable demand, and a slow Government sales cycle.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Wait you're telling me you can't run a state defense industry using the cult of small business?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Oldest Man posted:

Wait you're telling me you can't run a state defense industry using the cult of small business?

I don’t know how to articulate how much people have been trained to have a distaste for heavy industry and will privilege any bullshit that’s lean, digital, innovative or a start up.

States were built on heavy industry, it’s literally the foundation of post-medieval armies going back to bell foundries making the first bombards, but they would rather have people working out of a WeWork not produce anything than have steel mills producing armour plate or gun barrels.

It’s the weirdest goddamn thing.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

I don’t know how to articulate how much people have been trained to have a distaste for heavy industry and will privilege any bullshit that’s lean, digital, innovative or a start up.

States were built on heavy industry, it’s literally the foundation of post-medieval armies going back to bell foundries making the first bombards, but they would rather have people working out of a WeWork not produce anything than have steel mills producing armour plate or gun barrels.

It’s the weirdest goddamn thing.

wework makes the right people rich via rent extraction, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Delta-Wye posted:

wework makes the right people rich via rent extraction, hth

I agree but you can’t fight a war with rent extraction, so they’ve put the military in an unenviable position.