Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Spergin Morlock posted:

whynotbothgirl.gif except her face is the Lockheed Martin logo

All available manufacturing capacity is fully tapped out until 2040 with a lot of order backlogs.

Money printing: yes

Material printing: still missing that star trek replication

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

The whiplash from this to "Think of the Uyghurs" is going to be wild

im already dead from whiplash

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Didn't get any traction in the history thread so I'll try here

Am I having a stroke or is this saying that the Soviets fielded 2-3 divisions in the middle east and used them to directly fight the IDF? Is this some newly discovered thing or have I just never heard of it out of sheer ignorance? I thought the Arab Israeli wars were Egypt et al fighting the IDF with Soviet equipment + the occasional wink wink nudge nudge Soviet fighter pilot shenanigans and that was it.

Anadyr was 40k (roughly), so it was probably a poo poo ton of advisors and people to run logistics. Tbh, I also thought at most it was a Korean War style Soviet pilots in deniable Egyptian aircraft.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

Didn't get any traction in the history thread so I'll try here

Am I having a stroke or is this saying that the Soviets fielded 2-3 divisions in the middle east and used them to directly fight the IDF? Is this some newly discovered thing or have I just never heard of it out of sheer ignorance? I thought the Arab Israeli wars were Egypt et al fighting the IDF with Soviet equipment + the occasional wink wink nudge nudge Soviet fighter pilot shenanigans and that was it.

So it's sort of the Israeli Neocon / Israel Hawk Neocon version of Soviet Advisors in Korea and Vietnam.

The USSR did carry out division, maybe corps level VDV exercises and prepare them for deployment when Israel was looking to advance on Damascus and Cairo in 1967. In 1973 the Americans apparently anticipated the Soviets entering the conflict, but the Soviets weren't willing to end the world over the Sinai and Israel stopped at the Golan Heights (the Iraqi Army stopped them).

Overall, a lot of Cold War mythology in support of Israel was that it was a front of the Cold War facing Soviet Aggression. This is at odds with tonnes of literature about how the Soviets were not actually planning worldwide conspiracies or spreading revolution, made possible since Soviet archives opened in 1991. The Soviets were occasionally a good ally, but they were never willing to back their allies to the same extent the US was to back theirs and (understandably) often backed down when the US postured to end the world in order to get their way. From the mid-70's the East Germans were more active than the Soviets in Africa, having about 5000 troops there at one time.

The Soviets did actually go to sea more than has been supposed, as a recent USNI title shows, but with the exception of basing in Syria these were mostly diplomatic port calls rather than substantial military support. On land, with the exception of Cuba, they did not have full formations based abroad, even in Syria. More to the point of why this specific example is ridiculous, the Soviets were expelled by the Egyptians before the October War as part of their secret approaches to the US, initiated around 1971, which culminated later in Camp David.

The myth of Soviet involvement persisted even after the Cold War ended. That's not true in other cases, like Nicaragua and it's worth discussing why. While the US today can shrug and admit self-interest in Angola or whatever, that the Soviets were not nearly as involved as they claimed, or that they made the whole thing up, like with the war in Grenada, just generally that conflicts around the world were not a Soviet plot, they can't do that in the case of the Arab-Israeli Wars without at least rhetorically admitting they're playing the same game with Israel today - exaggerating threats and creating the pretence of a need to support Israel to justify their self interest. This applies even more to Israeli hawks who have to explain why they constantly fought aggressive wars against neighbours, which becomes more difficult if they were not conspiring with Moscow to strike them.

At least least that's my interpretation.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've seen a couple of tweets saying Israel should do to Palestinians what China did to Uyghurs.

Lock .4% of them in a community college until they agree to stop bombing bus stations?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

adebisi lives posted:

Lock .4% of them in a community college until they agree to stop bombing bus stations?

wait till you learn how much the Han were genocided by the OCP

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for Ukraine - Ukraine can't meet its debt repayments and needs to sound out major investors over plans to restructure the country's $20 billion in international debt and the possibility of raising fresh financing

https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/ukraine-sounds-out-bondholders-debt-restructuring-new-financing-sources-2023-10-09/

Exclusive: Ukraine sounds out bondholders on debt restructuring, new financing -sources
By Karin Strohecker and Jorgelina Do Rosario
October 9, 2023
12:55 PM UTC · Updated 7 min ago

LONDON, Oct 9 (Reuters) - Ukraine has been sounding out major investors over plans to restructure the country's $20 billion in international debt and the possibility of raising fresh financing, three people with knowledge of the discussions told Reuters.

Interactions have intensified in recent weeks led by the head of the debt management office, Yuri Butsa, who has been seeking investor feedback, they said.

Talks with bondholders were due to start early next year. But concerns that international backing for Ukraine may be waning and few indications that the conflict is close to abating have brought fresh momentum into debt talks, the sources said. The U.S. in late September passed a stop-gap funding bill to avoid a government shutdown that did not include aid for Kyiv.

Bondholders agreed in August 2022 two a two-year payment freeze after Russia's invasion in February shattered its economy and finances, forcing it into a sovereign default. Most of Ukraine's bilateral lenders have suspended repayment obligations until 2027.

Butsa had many direct meetings with creditors, one source familiar with the discussion said on condition of anonymity. Ukraine's ambition is to tap markets early, the source added, to help shore up access to financing while its International Monetary Fund programme runs to 2027, the person said.

Talks are informal and bondholders have yet to form a creditor committee, the sources added.

Ukraine's finance ministry and debt management office said they would provide comment later.

Under the four-year $15.6 billion IMF loan programme approved in April, the Fund stipulated that Kyiv has to overhaul its debt, but did not prescribe a timing.

FROM DEBT REWORK TO FRESH FUNDS

As part of a debt restructuring, Ukraine would issue new bonds to existing holders once losses on existing debt had been agreed upon. But given the risk inherent in lending to a nation at war, investors said they would favour some form of guarantee or backstop by Ukraine's partners to agree to the deal.

The market wants to see some sort of credit enhancement, said a second source familiar with the situation, adding this might prove more difficult for Ukraine to obtain given how much public money had already flowed into the country. Credit enhancements help reduce the default risk by the issuer and thereby borrowing costs - for example through guarantees.

In addition to issuing bonds as part of the debt restructuring, Ukraine also told investors it is weighing options to raise fresh additional financing, the sources said. The options include collateralized and guaranteed structures that could form part of a restructuring solution and potentially facilitate financing for the country, the third source said. These could see Ukraine's international partners - either multilaterals or individual countries - provide collateral for new bonds, akin to the so-called Brady bonds issued by Latin American countries in the late 1980s that were backed by U.S. Treasuries. Whether Ukraine would be able to raise fresh funds from capital markets is unclear, as IMF programmes generally do not envisage that countries can seek non-concessional funding whilst undergoing a debt overhaul. How willing large asset managers would be to lend more money to Ukraine also remains to be seen, the first source said.

The real challenge is making sure that new money commitments from private-sector creditors really materialise, said the first source. Ukraine required much more than $1 billion a year, the person said.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good news for Ukraine - The White House is considering a strategy to bundle Ukraine funding with a forthcoming request for urgent aid to Israel

https://kyivindependent.com/washington-post-white-house-considers-attaching-ukraine-funding-to-israel-aid-package/

Washington Post: White House considers attaching Ukraine funding to Israel aid package
by Olena Goncharova
October 10, 2023 3:08 AM
1 min read

The White House is considering a strategy to bundle Ukraine funding with a forthcoming request for urgent aid to Israel, people familiar with the discussions told the Washington Post. This approach aims to enhance the likelihood of Congress approving assistance for Ukraine, despite facing growing opposition from House Republicans.

No final decisions have been reached regarding the linkage of these requests, as per two senior administration officials who spoke anonymously to protect the privacy of the conversations.

One of these officials noted that such a move might have strategic merit, as it could place pressure on the far-right faction, which vehemently opposes increased Ukraine aid but is firmly in favor of supporting Israel.

Key figures within the Biden administration have communicated with leaders in both the House and Senate, as well as members of influential committees, revealing that the White House intends to seek congressional approval for additional military aid to Israel.

This decision comes in response to a recent attack by Palestinian gunmen from Hamas, who infiltrated Israel and launched the deadliest assault since the 1973 Yom Kippur War. The formal request for aid may be submitted as early as the upcoming week, according to the Washington Post's sources.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

fizzy posted:

Bad news for Ukraine - Ukraine can't meet its debt repayments and needs to sound out major investors over plans to restructure the country's $20 billion in international debt and the possibility of raising fresh financing

drat what a surprise

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Can I just say, just the last 48 hours in Gaza should definitively tell liberals the "Battle of Kiev" wasn't, and raise questions about "Russia's genocidal air campaign".

I wish they didn't have the memory and consistency of goldfish, jfc.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frosted Flake posted:

Can I just say, just the last 48 hours in Gaza should definitively tell liberals the "Battle of Kiev" wasn't, and raise questions about "Russia's genocidal air campaign".

Bad news for the optimism of Frosted Flake - It's not a question of memory. Liberals simply don't view Palestinians as humans.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

It's truly a miracle Ukraine gave up the Soviet nukes based there.

if they didn't, cia couldn't coup them in 2014 because they'd launch the nukes lol, this was all planned out :v:

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

fizzy posted:

Bad news for the optimism of Frosted Flake - It's not a question of memory. Liberals simply don't view Palestinians as humans.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

season 2 episode 10 of madame secretary in flashback we learn that evil russian hillary murdered her husband to steal power continuing her streak of being a much cooler hillary than madame secretary herself ever is anyway despite the fact that ukraine tricked us into doing world war three were still enforcing the no fly zone over ukraine and russia bows to the superiority of our incredible airplanes and decides to invade mariupol with ground forces to teach us a lesson

western europe is just going uhhh guys can we have our energy back please and the president is going no gently caress you we cant show weakness in the face of russian aggression reminder that since the air force one hack isnt being blamed on russia as far as everyone can tell we started this by knocking out moscows power grid for no reason and even the characters who explicitly know this like madame secretarys team describe the conflict as being started by russian aggression however as madame secretary herself is sensible shes pushing for a cease fire

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

fizzy posted:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

just gonna post "Kyiv still has running water, electricity, schools and hospitals" at allegations of Russian genocidal intent

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

gradenko_2000 posted:

just gonna post "Kyiv still has running water, electricity, schools and hospitals" at allegations of Russian genocidal intent

it's incredible watching every last nafo support the things they are accusing russia of doing, because the Good Guys are doing it to Terrorists

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

So it's sort of the Israeli Neocon / Israel Hawk Neocon version of Soviet Advisors in Korea and Vietnam.

The USSR did carry out division, maybe corps level VDV exercises and prepare them for deployment when Israel was looking to advance on Damascus and Cairo in 1967. In 1973 the Americans apparently anticipated the Soviets entering the conflict, but the Soviets weren't willing to end the world over the Sinai and Israel stopped at the Golan Heights (the Iraqi Army stopped them).

Overall, a lot of Cold War mythology in support of Israel was that it was a front of the Cold War facing Soviet Aggression. This is at odds with tonnes of literature about how the Soviets were not actually planning worldwide conspiracies or spreading revolution, made possible since Soviet archives opened in 1991. The Soviets were occasionally a good ally, but they were never willing to back their allies to the same extent the US was to back theirs and (understandably) often backed down when the US postured to end the world in order to get their way. From the mid-70's the East Germans were more active than the Soviets in Africa, having about 5000 troops there at one time.

The Soviets did actually go to sea more than has been supposed, as a recent USNI title shows, but with the exception of basing in Syria these were mostly diplomatic port calls rather than substantial military support. On land, with the exception of Cuba, they did not have full formations based abroad, even in Syria. More to the point of why this specific example is ridiculous, the Soviets were expelled by the Egyptians before the October War as part of their secret approaches to the US, initiated around 1971, which culminated later in Camp David.

The myth of Soviet involvement persisted even after the Cold War ended. That's not true in other cases, like Nicaragua and it's worth discussing why. While the US today can shrug and admit self-interest in Angola or whatever, that the Soviets were not nearly as involved as they claimed, or that they made the whole thing up, like with the war in Grenada, just generally that conflicts around the world were not a Soviet plot, they can't do that in the case of the Arab-Israeli Wars without at least rhetorically admitting they're playing the same game with Israel today - exaggerating threats and creating the pretence of a need to support Israel to justify their self interest. This applies even more to Israeli hawks who have to explain why they constantly fought aggressive wars against neighbours, which becomes more difficult if they were not conspiring with Moscow to strike them.

At least least that's my interpretation.

So the book is, what, cold war fanfic? Did they just make up the supposed Soviet veteran interviews or something? Like this is some jesus rode a dinosaur type stuff to me

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

there's going to be frontline villages in ukraine more intact than the gaza strip by the end of the hamas-israel war

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Danann posted:

there's going to be frontline villages in ukraine more intact than the gaza strip by the end of the hamas-israel war

People keep saying that

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ukrainian politicals to Gaza, Palestinians to robotyne, everyone feels at home bing bong

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

update on the imaginary 2015 christmas war in ukraine aided by american advisors the ukrainian forces easily defeat the russian army in mariupol thanks to madame secretarys husbands junior officer spy with implausibly impressive access to high command apparently donetsk was a more logical target

evil russian hillary almost singles the spy out but racistly blames some other guy sitting next to him who has family in kiev i guess they just executed him and decided the problem was solved??? i dunno madame secretarys husband seems to think its only a matter of time before the actual spys found out and he feels guilty about it

Some Guy TT has issued a correction as of 04:08 on Oct 10, 2023

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

gotta remember this one for later.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
fizzy is such a good loving poster it almost takes out the sting of losing Catpetter all that time ago

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rockstar Massacre posted:

fizzy is such a good loving poster it almost takes out the sting of losing Catpetter all that time ago

Judgy Fucker posted:

fizzy putting in work on the lamest gimmick these forums have ever seen

Good news for people seeking an example of "the duality of humanity" - The above-quoted posts provide a fine example of "the duality of humanity".

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Russia's invasion is so bad, they didn't destroy all the water treatment facilities and power plants on day one like we would have! Dumbasses lmao!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/wydna777/status/1711556271017443438?s=19

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

[Ukraine] We can see Russian...

Mostly Lurking
Sep 25, 2008
Do the nazis in Ukraine give a poo poo about Israel even in a "know where your bread is buttered" sense?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Mostly Lurking posted:

Do the nazis in Ukraine give a poo poo about Israel even in a "know where your bread is buttered" sense?

Their boss is the United States.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
they prefer that Jews stay away

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

Book recommendation: Gregory Feifer's "The Great Gamble"

ty op

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so in the imaginary christmas ukraine war of 2015 the russians have been successfully bullied into cease fire negotiations by the decisive victory at mariupol since europe consists of lousy good for nothing peacemongerers they think this is a good idea and so does madame secretary the problem is the russians arent sufficiently humiliated they got the peace conference going by revealing that ukraine framed russia for hacking air force one to give the united states an excuse to start world war three an explanation too frustratingly close to the truth for the united states to deny

fortunately it turns out that madame secretary was able to threaten the swiss into revealing bank records which imply that evil russian hillary murdered her husband who apparently was the beloved ronald reagan of russia the moral of the story being that america is always right and our enemies are always evil even when were actually wrong and our enemies evilness has nothing to do with why were fighting them

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
zelensky and guaido

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9yR-lqQpfM

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Elias_Maluco posted:

Fascists in Brazil are also really big fans of Israel and from the way they talk, a for the things they choose to express admiration, it seems to me the main reason is because they wish they could deal with the favelas the same way Israel deals with the palestinians in the occupied territory

Brutalize them with total impunity (even more than we already have), build walls around them, bulldoze their houses and reclaim their lands when they want, bomb the poo poo out of them when they retaliate etc etc

edit: they also sympathize with the fact that there, just like here, they believe its the left and the human rights advocates and the UN and etc, that are preventing them from solving the problem once and for all

I feel like the phenomenon of Israeli flags at pro-bolsonaro/taiwan/hong kong/etc rallies is also just a quick shorthand to demonstrate that your movement wants to suck up to and demonstrate usefulness to US empire

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Also the weird evangelical poo poo

dk2m
May 6, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

the videos coming out of Gaza, even compared to what happened in Mariupol, is stark. the difference has always been that Russia actually wants to govern and administer the territory it occupies, israel doesn’t give a gently caress about Palestinians and would rather raze it to the ground. the breathless propaganda of Ukrainian genocide has never made sense with the amount of restraint being shown, and an actual genocide going on by the hands of Israel makes that extremely apparent

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Two Majors - English Channel posted:

Avdeevskoe direction, news from the front. The Russian army is conducting the most massive artillery shelling of enemy positions in recent months:

🖋"Something's going on here!

There are probably 200 of our guns working, and not a single arrival from the Ukrainian Armed Forces since 5 am!

What's happening! “Hurricanes” are working in batches, our “outputs” are causing everything in our positions to fall apart!

They probably hit 200 guns!

It’s even nice: not a single arrival.

This is a spectacular picture, of course, I haven’t seen anything like this for a long time, with our artillery working for so long.

*d*ck! The soul rejoices, Avdeevka, yes, *d!”

⭐️ Such consumption of ammunition by the Russian Armed Forces can only mean one thing. Our people will go forward.

God is with you, guys.

Two Majors
(from t.me/two_majors/13365, via tgsa)

Two Majors - English Channel posted:

❗️Avdeevskoe direction

Storm Z assault units went on the attack. In certain sectors of the front there is an advance of the Russian Armed Forces: two of the three Ukrainian Armed Forces lines are occupied in the unit’s offensive sector. The enemy took helicopters into the air.

Our cannon and rocket artillery has not stopped talking since morning. Comrades familiar with the situation report that the Avdeevsky fortified area is characterized by powerful fortifications of the Ukrainian Armed Forces, which cannot always be destroyed by aviation and artillery. This means there will be shooting battles at extremely short distances.

Two Majors
(from t.me/two_majors/13368, via tgsa)

Apparently Russia's finally making a move and is tapping into their stockpile.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The USA is totally going to lose Ukraine while they're distracted fussing over Israel, aren't they.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

update on the imaginary 2015 christmas war in ukraine aided by american advisors the ukrainian forces easily defeat the russian army in mariupol thanks to madame secretarys husbands junior officer spy with implausibly impressive access to high command apparently donetsk was a more logical target

evil russian hillary almost singles the spy out but racistly blames some other guy sitting next to him who has family in kiev i guess they just executed him and decided the problem was solved??? i dunno madame secretarys husband seems to think its only a matter of time before the actual spys found out and he feels guilty about it

did they extrapolate how the special forces won it or was it a “we killed the general and they all ran off like lost puppies”