Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I heard Unity did some kind of hosed up stuff w their pricings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

I heard Unity did some kind of hosed up stuff w their pricings

The real issue is that they tried to retroactively change terms for existing Unity projects, meaning no-one will ever start a major new project in Unity again because you can't trust them not to pull the rug out from under you once it's too late to change.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I don't think changing your prices is technically not allowed, it's just that normally that will make people grumble and maybe stop purchasing. What made it absurd in this case is that there are existing games built in Unity and it is not trivial (or even feasible) to move games off Unity, so they were basically holding people hostage.

mystes
May 31, 2006

They also were going to charge per installation and it didn't seem like they had initially even thought through how many issues there would be with that and when people started pointing them out they were just like "oh that just will magically not count somehow"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The issue was that their pricing model was completely insane and they could've absolutely gotten away with a 5% royalty rate like Unreal.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

loving yourself in the long term for predicted short term games is a tradition as old as capitalism itself :ancap:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

mycot posted:

I don't think changing your prices is technically not allowed, it's just that normally that will make people grumble and maybe stop purchasing. What made it absurd in this case is that there are existing games built in Unity and it is not trivial (or even feasible) to move games off Unity, so they were basically holding people hostage.

The Caves of Qud developer and goon Unormal livetweeted porting CoQ to Godot in like 3 hours as a public gently caress you to Unity:

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/1703163364229161236

Most unity devs would have a harder time because CoQ sort of had contingencies in place for this kind of situation but it was very lol-worthy

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Hadlock posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1545990/Deadeye_Deepfake_Simulacrum/

Has anyone played Deadeye Deepfake Simulacrum ? It looks like OG Deux Ex meets the "art style" of Adventure from Atari 2600

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MUEXGaxFDA&t=2461s
This video actually doesn't talk about the game but I like it better than what's actually on the store page. I've got it time-indexed to 41:01

"UwU-core deus ex with cruelty squad characteristics."
"This game lets you make it into whatever genre you thought this game was at first look"
"Deadeye Deepfake Simulacrum is an amazing reminder of why indie passion projects are awesome. made by one developer, its like an UWUcore mix of cruelty squad, deus ex and quadrilateral cowboy."

Reviews look really really good, it was released to early access last october as v0.6 and as of this september they're up to v0.7.5 with a load of updates inbetween but the above quoted is the only stuff I can find about Deadeye Deepfake Simulacrum here in the thread.

I got around to trying a bit of this today and it's as good as the impressions made it out to be. The combat plays like a less frantic hotline Miami which means I'm bad at it, but hacking and stealthing your way through a level and completing it that way is a nice change of pace and as satisfying

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lamplighters League update:

I decided to give the game some more time and now that I have learned the tried and true stealth method of "kite one dude away from the main group, enter combat and kill him while he's the only aggroed enemy and then reset to stealth" maybe I will have the wherewithal to keep going lol

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

mycot posted:

Previous terms of service said you were allowed to keep using the one current when you started as long as you didn't update to a new version of the engine, which they tried to disappear off the internet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2181610/Heretics_Fork/

Been playing this and its quite fun. You know those single tower defense games? Yeah this is one of those but compressed down into a nice bite sized 30 minute session for each game if you last that long. Has 6 different employees which can change up the play style a lot, lots of tower types to unlock.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The demo of the Deep Rock Galactic Vampire Survivors clone is pretty disappointing, it feels incredibly bland and low-budget. I don't know what I was expecting from a VS clone this late to the game but it turns out it's not even developed by the DRG team, it's just someone else using the IP with their blessing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Zereth posted:

Previous terms of service said you were allowed to keep using the one current when you started as long as you didn't update to a new version of the engine, which they tried to disappear off the internet.

Which feeds into the 'you would have to be insane to lock yourself to Unity now, even if they appear to have backed off for now' thing.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Woo, it's Next Fest time, and you know what that means: time for some Next Fest Demo Impressions:

NICE - GUNHEAD: A reimagining of CRYPTARK, the action roguelite where you delve into shipwrecks and take out their interconnected defense systems while blasting away said defenses, but now as a FPS instead of a top-down shooter. Feels pretty fun, and while I wasn't sure at first, it feels like combat is a bit more visually clear and less chaotic with the new camera change, among other changes.

HMM - RoboCop: Rogue City: Amusing FPS where you lumber forward slowly and gun down thugs as their bullets bounce off of you, while also being able to pick up objects or thugs and chuck them for explosive results. You're in control but it almost feels like you're playing a rail shooter you'd see in the arcades. I liked the Robocop music and visuals/aesthetic being faithfully recreated, and I'm not against shooting games where you move slowly like Gungrave, but I'm just not sure of the lasting appeal of this game as it just feels a bit too simple in terms of mechanics and so linear in terms of level design. Curious to see how it develops, but I'm not sure where it can go from here so I'm a bit wary.

HMM - The Last Faith: A 2D Bloodborne-esque metroidvania. I was really expecting to enjoy this based on all the hype, but I'll admit I feel a bit letdown: it's not bad, but it just felt much less smooth and refined than I expected. It's hard to explain, but it just had a lot of stiffness and awkwardness to the controls and other elements felt confusing or lazy. Dialogue interactions feel so lifeless, and little things like transitions between screens feel so lazy as they just go black and come back with you warped into a new position instead of a smooth walk in/out. Combat felt a bit clunky/awkward with a terrible parry and frustrating poise where a lot of attacks, like a dog leaping at you, cannot be interrupted even with the heaviest weapons. There's also weird design choices like needing to farm healing items, and these elaborate executions that don't serve a real purpose? I'm still gonna keep my eye on it: might just being too nitpicky and might be a case of the demo not being a great first impression as it just dumps you in the thick of it without much of a tutorial. Interested to hear what others think.

NICE - Ghostrunner 2: It's more Ghostrunner, which is good because I liked Ghostrunner, and now it includes some bike segments which are like F-Zero crossed with Battletoads turbo tunnels: fun, but a bit trial and errory (but then again, that's the name of the game). Unfortunately it does seem to include a lot of the issues I had with Ghostrunner previously, such as some awkwardness with the movement where it can treat billboard wallruns as you climbing onto the billboard instead, and the game feels like it is lacking audio, especially when it comes to enemy attacks which can hurt the clarity of combat. So it's not as much of an improvement as I wanted, but again, it still seems quite fun and delivers more of what it did right before with some extra treats. I guess treat it more like an expansion pack than a new game since it feels so familiar.

NICE- Rabbit and Steel: Do you enjoy raids, particularly FFXIV raids, but hate all the MMORPG crap that gets in the way? Well, this game has got you covered as it aims to deliver just that: get all of your DPS/GCD optimization and stacking and splitting and not standing in the red and jugging mechanics and loot rolling and so on, but in a very compact, accessible, and cute coop roguelite form. It's like Touhou bullet hell meats MMORPG raids, so assemble your crew and get in there. It seems like you can also play it solo, but it focuses more on bullet-hell there instead of cooperative mechanics like splitting/stacking and other formations.

OK - The Last Exterminator: Not bad: pretty much a BUILD-engine game ala Duke Nukem or Ion Fury, but where roach people are invading the world and you blast them away as this Michael Cera-sounding dork protagonist. It's not mind-blowing or creative or anything as it just delivers the standard fare you'd expect: bit disappointed as you'd think with the whole bug theme they'd go for more exotic weaponry ala Blood, but no, you got your pistol/shotgun/uzi/etc as usual. Still fun though, and impressed at the amount of polish the world has: so many explosions and chaos and arcade machines that actually have playable games within them. It's a BUILD game through and through.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 11, 2023

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

How'd you feel about talking to citizens and solving crimes in RoboCop?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Last Faith will be out in a month so I won't be trying it now, but I was in some open beta earlier and then the game at least felt a bit unpolished and -finished. Aesthetic was good but if there's nothing there to interact with then it's all moot. We'll see.

According to some listing Enshrouded is the most wishlisted game on the Nextfest and I'll be trying it out later. "Similar to Valheim and V Rising", expecting a crafting game/ARPG romp with a co-op with friends.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1203620/Enshrouded/

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

pseudorandom name posted:

How'd you feel about talking to citizens and solving crimes in RoboCop?

friendly neighborhood robocop

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2179850/Cobalt_Core/

Don't sleep on this demo if you at all enjoy deckbuilders, it's very fun!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh its by the Starshine Heavy Industries people :3

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Azran posted:

That was a cute demo.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Hahahaha, apparently Unity's CEO is stepping down.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20231009494331/en/Unity-Announces-Leadership-Transition - Following up on last night's post now that something more official than a tweet by Schrier has been found

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Croccers posted:

That was a cute demo.

I liked the 'Big crystal' gag during the boss fight, strong Weird Twitter energy

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Sab669 posted:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20231009494331/en/Unity-Announces-Leadership-Transition - Following up on last night's post now that something more official than a tweet by Schrier has been found

Whitehurst is a private capital ghoul and industry outsider, so him as interim CEO won't restore anyone's confidence in Unity. As seems to be par for the course, they couldn't have hosed this up harder if they tried.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

deep dish peat moss posted:

The demo of the Deep Rock Galactic Vampire Survivors clone is pretty disappointing, it feels incredibly bland and low-budget. I don't know what I was expecting from a VS clone this late to the game but it turns out it's not even developed by the DRG team, it's just someone else using the IP with their blessing.

After the free hololive VS like came out and is loving amazing, anything less than that is real bad if they're gonna charge for it

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

FutureCop posted:

Woo, it's Next Fest time, and you know what that means: time for some Next Fest Demo Impressions:

NICE - GUNHEAD: A reimagining of CRYPTARK, the action roguelite where you delve into shipwrecks and take out their interconnected defense systems while blasting away said defenses, but now as a FPS instead of a top-down shooter. Feels pretty fun, and while I wasn't sure at first, it feels like combat is a bit more visually clear and less chaotic with the new camera change, among other changes.

drat, gave this a try since I loved Cryptark and it's great! And it's coming out in early November? Definitive buy for me. If the demo is to go by they managed to successfuly transition to 3D in a similar way as Mario 64 and Risk of Rain 2.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Azran posted:

Wow, that was super fun, day 1 purchase for me. Thanks!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Whitehurst is a private capital ghoul and industry outsider, so him as interim CEO won't restore anyone's confidence in Unity. As seems to be par for the course, they couldn't have hosed this up harder if they tried.

He was a tech ceo for more than a decade. Honestly he or someone like him makes a lot of sense for unity, given they aren’t just a games company anymore.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

He was at both IBM and Red Hat, but regardless the point of an Interim CEO isn't to restore confidence, it's to occupy a seat until someone else "more qualified" is found :shrug: (hence Interim)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

occupying a seat sounds exactly like what a CEO does tho

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Jordan7hm posted:

He was a tech ceo for more than a decade. Honestly he or someone like him makes a lot of sense for unity, given they aren’t just a games company anymore.

I'm not sure how converting Red Hat from a software development company to a software company katamari and then selling it to IBM could possibly be relevant to running Unity or restoring trust in the company after what just happened, but I suppose time will tell.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The point is that I wouldn't especially call him an "industry outsider" when he's been in the IT world since 2007. OK it's not gaming, but to a degree software is software. Especially when it's enterprise software being sold to other businesses, and generally not so focused on sales to consumer.

And again his job isn't the "restore trust in the company". He's an Interim, he's just there as a temporary stop gap to see to the day-to-day operations of the company, not any sort of long term strategy. Like, if your doctor said "Your surgery is scheduled for next month, in the mean time here are some pills to manage your symptoms" would you think to yourself, "Boy I hope these pills cure me"? No, they aren't intended to be a fix, it's a band aid. Time won't tell anything about this guy because he doesn't have a lot of time.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Remember that Steve Jobs also served as Apple's "interim CEO" from 1997-2000.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Remember that Steve Jobs also served as Apple's "interim CEO" from 1997-2000.
Yeah and he immediately pulled Apple out of the gutter with the iMac and put them on the wildly successful path that they're still on today. If this new Unity guy somehow does something similar then he probably deserves to be permanent CEO

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

he will not

PHOOsun
Nov 18, 2010

3V3RYBODY STOP WH4T YOUR3 DO1NG 1MM3D14T3LY
Got some bad news, just got the following message from an old friend on steam:

" Steam gave me $50 today in honor of the fall sales - OBVIOUS SCAM LINK https :// steamcommunmitty.com/gift/activation=Mor345hFvm2r "

Not quite asking me to vote for their team, but pretty close, and using the same website as the team vote scam, I think.

Good news:

I love Monster Hunter World, got over 1k hours in it + Iceborne, and seeing people in thread going through it brought back many happy memories. However Iceborne was in many ways bad (clutch claw, always needing to head bang walls and weaken armour to do expected dps to finish hunts in reasonable time)

However there is a solution through the power of mods that fixes the problems with Iceborne and makes it a much smoother experience.

The Iceborne Community Edition mod pack is so good for a returning vet like myself, the only downside is you will only be able to play multiplayer with other folk playing the mod pack. As most of the fun I had in Monster Hunter World was jumping into random players games to smack down monsters with them, the mod pack not being that well known means there isnt as many players in it as there is in unmodded Monster Hunter.

The upside to the mod pack is in the changes to weapons / skill gems / quests make the game feel fresh again.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Is there a sensible explanation of the differences between MH World and Rise, because winding up in the Steam discussions to read community answers to this question has made me hate both games

I played MHW up to High Rank on PS4 at release but never actually finished it and didn't bother with Iceborne. While I grabbed Rise for a Steam Deck game and have yet to start it, World's on sale for PC right now at Gamebillet, and since I'm an old man I find myself returning to things I know

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Squiggle posted:

Is there a sensible explanation of the differences between MH World and Rise, because winding up in the Steam discussions to read community answers to this question has made me hate both games

I played MHW up to High Rank on PS4 at release but never actually finished it and didn't bother with Iceborne. While I grabbed Rise for a Steam Deck game and have yet to start it, World's on sale for PC right now at Gamebillet, and since I'm an old man I find myself returning to things I know

Rise:
Worse multiplayer systems for playing with randoms (it's virtually impossible)
much less content than World (46 large monsters in Rise vs 71 in Iceborne) (edit: Sunbreak adds a handful more to Rise)
More mobility (you get a grappling hook and a mount)
Less 'hunting' e.g. you don't stalk your prey by following tracks and investigating, you just enter the map and beeline to them, fight them, and leave
You can get AI companions to hunt with that are better than random players
You get a dog
Has an annoying tower defense mode you're required to play sometimes
More verticality in levels (because of the grappling hook)

Iceborne:
Way more content
Much better multiplayer systems for playing with randoms
Clutch Claw (an optional mechanic that lets you make fights much easier if you use it well, some people hate it because it feels 'necessary', I think it's cool and adds an additional layer of strategy)
Monsters scale to number of players, so solo hunts are much shorter
Much more intense/difficult high-end hunts
More active players
You have to track monsters around the map by following and investigating footprints, etc.
Less of a "gear grind" (arguably the heart and soul of MonHun) because you can farm extremely strong weapons as direct drops from end-game event bosses, and there's one single armor set that comes from one of them that's so good it gets used in almost every single build.

e: IMO Rise feels like an arcade-y spinoff and I didn't like it as much as World, but it's still a good game and some people like it more than World.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 10, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I hope the next game is more like World because I seriously miss the hunting part of the game since it's almost completely absent from Rise.

I liked the combat more in World too. Rise is still very fun but it feels like the kusoge Xtreme version where they make everything five times faster.

World's combat was a lot more grounded with more weight to it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rise is much maligned by MH fans but I personally loved it. I found it just as easy to play with randoms so I dunno what that's about but all of the stuff you need to do in town is in a much closer vicinity and a bit more straightforward, imo. Playing with friends was a whole lot easier in Rise too because you could progress the story through solo or multiplayer hunts so you could help friends get geared up easier. As someone who has played a bunch of these I appreciated everything in town being within arms reach but I could also see someone just trying out monster hunter for the first time take to Rise better.

That said I do hope the next one leans more to the World side of things. That one just hit different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I hope whatever gets made next it's on a portable system. MH has always been a game for me to play at a friend's house and while I really enjoyed World it was missing me sitting in a room with three of my friends.