Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

A cargo cult is a cult that has its headquarters in international waters frequently on a cargo ship so that they don’t have to obey the laws of any one nation. Like Scientology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Checked in on r/ThePPShow, apparently they've devolved to hopium based largely on seeing references to butterflies in their everyday lives as some kind of cosmic signal. A can't-lose stock trading strategy.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Boxturret posted:

Yeah in much the same way that one of their major fantasies is to laugh at those that called them dumb as they writhe penniless in the gutters, their wives who didn't see their genius must be eliminated and replaced by someone who can see their greatness.

I honestly feel bad for these wives, and I hope they're able to get out of these financially stifling marriages. One way they could do that would be to become financially independent. Become their own boss, distributing essential products everyone has to buy, where they can manage their own small team of independent distributors, selling scented wax or herbal supplements.

If anyone's interested in this opportunity, just PM me and I'll tell you how you can eventually get your own pink Cadillac!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
there are no wives

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

The part where he calls an OBGYN office and pretends to be Cohen in order to get Cohen's wife's due date was horrifying. (Made only slightly better by the fact that the wife was never pregnant and he was just misunderstanding an old meme.)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Checked in on r/ThePPShow, apparently they've devolved to hopium based largely on seeing references to butterflies in their everyday lives as some kind of cosmic signal. A can't-lose stock trading strategy.

Wait they get cosmic signals of upcoming good fortune???

All my cosmic signs are just stupid portents of doom in regards to upcoming return of the old ones. :(

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

dr_rat posted:

Wait they get cosmic signals of upcoming good fortune???

All my cosmic signs are just stupid portents of doom in regards to upcoming return of the old ones. :(

Yeah they get awesome ones like blacktop repair for cracks that vaguely look like a butterfly, or seeing a butterfly in a video game. Real burning bush level stuff.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Yeah wow you aren't kidding, gamestop posts the official trailer for an upcoming game that features a butterfly and its a SIGN!!!!!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

In the Mouth of Meme Stocks

Hmm, I wonder how things are going in the world of AMC.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

The part where he calls an OBGYN office and pretends to be Cohen in order to get Cohen's wife's due date was horrifying. (Made only slightly better by the fact that the wife was never pregnant and he was just misunderstanding an old meme.)

I got something different out of this. I don't think he knew who the lady's OB was. I think he just called a random OB so he could get someone at an OB's office to tell him when the due date for this new company was. So the receptionist added nine months for him, and he was all pleased with himself.

He was pretending to be Ryan Cohen just for the YouTube channel, to drive home that this was the due date for Ryan's new baby company.

It's still dumb as poo poo, and cringe, but I thought the receptionist made it pretty clear that Ryan Cohen's wife wasn't a patient.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

cruft posted:

I got something different out of this. I don't think he knew who the lady's OB was. I think he just called a random OB so he could get someone at an OB's office to tell him when the due date for this new company was. So the receptionist added nine months for him, and he was all pleased with himself.

He was pretending to be Ryan Cohen just for the YouTube channel, to drive home that this was the due date for Ryan's new baby company.

It's still dumb as poo poo, and cringe, but I thought the receptionist made it pretty clear that Ryan Cohen's wife wasn't a patient.

The receptionist did make it clear that Ryan Cohen's wife wasn't a patient, but I think the dude legitimately thought he had somehow found her OB. Remember, he was absolutely convinced that Cohen announced that his wife's pregnancy when Cohen shared this meme:

Dude does not have a good grasp on reality, and seems to fall into the manic (and/or meth-fueled) delusions where whatever thought he has in his head is the absolute true. If he had managed to actually find her doctor, who knows what info he would have been able to get out of them before they shut him down. (Since he was able to provide both of their dates of birth from memory.)

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

Boxturret posted:

Yeah wow you aren't kidding, gamestop posts the official trailer for an upcoming game that features a butterfly and its a SIGN!!!!!

Show the butterfly posting I hate trawling through Reddit

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Wonder if I could convince the GME bagholders to buy me some games

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Lt. Cock posted:

Show the butterfly posting I hate trawling through Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/ThePPShow/comments/173vbst/i_see_a_pretty_butterfly_gamestop_on_x/

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

I'm almost finished the Folding Ideas video and I think I've got brain damage

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
lol

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

colonelwest posted:

It was so simple too. Literally just a crowd-sourced pump and dump scheme. The party ended in 2021, but these rubes are still here holding the bag and crafting insane theories about the financial apocalypse.

And it worked the first time because there was plenty of juice there in the form of overexposed shorts. Speculation markets are inherently zero sum, so the the hedgies could be made to lose.

After the hedgies closed their positions, they only source of juice was other apes. Then it turned into a speculation game where the price would oscillate as apes would buy and temporarily increase the price, and it would drop again as lucky gamblers sold at the peak.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I think that's the best part of all of this, everyone got caught unawares one time, yet these people think they can loudly yell constantly about doing it again and somehow still catch everyone by surprise a second time?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Wilkins Micawber posted:

I like that "giant GameStop" guy's ultimate vision is just a big building with cool stuff, like the hideout in the TNMT movie, or the cool Hackers warehouse lounge in that movie. All that's missing is a bunch of radical kids on a half pipe. No moms or wives to tell us when it's bedtime 🌝🚀

It was a bar where you could buy videogames

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

GoutPatrol posted:

Was that also where you could buy a really cool Dragonball Z towel or was that another guy?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

GoutPatrol posted:

yahtzee was ahead of his time

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Are barcades not loving everywhere where you guys are? It feels like every fifth or so new bar that opens near me is a barcade. It's honestly getting stale.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

yoloer420 posted:

Are barcades not loving everywhere where you guys are? It feels like every fifth or so new bar that opens near me is a barcade. It's honestly getting stale.

We had one here that lasted a couple of years but failed. A new place just opened up a month ago or so in the same place... another barcade. They didn't have a whole lot of games but they had one pinball and one skee ball machine and I love those.

The owners were about my age and didn't seem very experienced at all and their tap beer was a bit warm and they'd have to pour 3 glasses of foam to get me one. I figured it was new opening issues but I went a week or so later and it was the same. :(

Kinda fun but more of a novelty. They had a bunch of board games and stuff and an awesome big wooden table like you'd find at the Prancing Pony and it'd be great to play some games there but I have no friends into that stuff.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
there's that joke about burning a larger fortune of money to make a small fortune of money with restaurants, i assume thats probably true with bars too

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Our local barcade is alright but when they’re busy it’s as a bar, not an arcade, so I assume they’ll drop the arcade part eventually. Maybe I can score a discounted cabinet when they do.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

PhazonLink posted:

there's that joke about burning a larger fortune of money to make a small fortune of money with restaurants, i assume thats probably true with bars too

There are many bar owners, much like restauranteurs, that just want a place to hang out with friends and be king poo poo

I have a friend who has two successful pizza shops, and in one he built a bar/taco stand on the second floor. Space for board games, MAME cabinets. Always lasts about a year and then he shuts it down because he loses money. Then he gets bored and tries it again. I think we're currently on the 4th iteration.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

GoutPatrol posted:

There are many bar owners, much like restauranteurs, that just want a place to hang out with friends and be king poo poo

This is especially true of breweries.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I would love it if a barcode opened up here. I went to one with my sister in law when I was in Portland and it absolutely slapped.

I love pinball so much, and the thing I love most is that somebody else has to keep the damned thing operational.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at small biz just being allowed to burn money for a year or two , die and revive, yet public goods like transit or infrastructure or other services get told to breakeven on strict timelines.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

This license plate is dedicated to the heroic geniuses who taught me the financial wisdom upon which I have staked my entire worth. It even contains an allusion to their shared catchphrase: "Nothing I say is financial advice. You should not act on it. I am a stupid-tiny brained monke who knows nothing." Inspiring!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Ooooh that's what NFA means, its so obvious now.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

No Fuckin' Acumen

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Doo dilligence

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The couple of barcades near me are 1) an actually good one with game systems hooked up so you can play a bunch of games, 2) one that’s mostly a bar but was supposed to be a barcade except they only have 3-4 cabinets with emulators set up and some of the joysticks are broken and 3) a pinball arcade that also had a halfpipe in it but they don’t let you use the halfpipe anymore for I assume the obvious reasons. Seems like a tricky idea to actually make work.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

cruft posted:

I would love it if a barcode opened up here. I went to one with my sister in law when I was in Portland and it absolutely slapped.

I love pinball so much, and the thing I love most is that somebody else has to keep the damned thing operational.

It's such a Portland thing that I don't think you should be allowed to have one tbh.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pirate Radar posted:

The couple of barcades near me are 1) an actually good one with game systems hooked up so you can play a bunch of games, 2) one that’s mostly a bar but was supposed to be a barcade except they only have 3-4 cabinets with emulators set up and some of the joysticks are broken and 3) a pinball arcade that also had a halfpipe in it but they don’t let you use the halfpipe anymore for I assume the obvious reasons. Seems like a tricky idea to actually make work.

I think the trick is that arcades are actually hella expensive to run when you don't have the constant influx of kids with literal pocket money who can't just stay home and play the same games on their TV.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

This seems like the Iraqi dinar scam but for gen X and younger instead of Gen x and older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cruft posted:

I’m getting a pinball machine some day but I’m worried even buying a brand new one if it’ll be difficult to maintain.

I’m also worried about my wife murdering me in my sleep because the only place to put it is in the one part of the house that’s “hers” for crafting and when she rarely works from home.