Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

Yup, this is it. Thanks a bunch for finding this because I was ready to call it lost media. The 'tone' of this right from the start feels pretty strange for a cartoon on Nick at the time and maybe explains why I remembered it for so long.

Even trying to look up something more about it even with credits and title information feels difficult/impossible. It's almost as if this video hadn't popped up in the last year there would be seemingly zero official proof it even existed.

Yeah, it feels more like some sort of parody than actual children's media. I was going to say English, but the credits imply it may be German. The names listed don't seem to show anything relevant in a Google search. The circumstances of Dracula Junior's conception are really problematic by any standard.

Fake edit: I found the guy: https://drummerworld.com/drummers/Pete_York.html

quote:

Brian, Colin and Pete continued touring and made TV shows which included their comic lunacy as well as some great music. In 1986 a cartoon film scripted by Pete and called "Dracula Junior” was completed involving their music and voice talents.

Even has the German connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Edit: wrong thread

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That is amazing that Dracula Junior may have actually then inspired Count Duckula rather than vice-versa. Well, Duckula existed already in Dangermouse but his two assistants from the 1988 spinoff are almost identical to those from Dracula Junior. Astounding. To me only

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dr. Quarex posted:

That is amazing that Dracula Junior may have actually then inspired Count Duckula rather than vice-versa. Well, Duckula existed already in Dangermouse but his two assistants from the 1988 spinoff are almost identical to those from Dracula Junior. Astounding. To me only

Dracula Junior was copyrighted in 1989 according to the credits at the end of the Youtube video but it was based on an earlier book by author Peter York so Dracula's house staff may have come from there. But I can't find any mention of the book anywhere on the internet so it's still a mystery. :shrug:

Another unexplained mystery: why did Nanny on Count Duckula always have her arm in a sling?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I even went to the US copyright office search and can't even find a record of Dracula Junior, Peter York, etc. that matches up with this. (not to say it wasn't copyrighted in some form overseas, maybe.)

There's a part of me that wonders if this was even intended for public consumption. Given the quality of various aspects of it and it's oddly short run time, even with commercials, if this was just a demo reel/pilot they were shopping around to various outlets for a Dracula Junior series that never happened and Nick somehow just acquired the rights to air.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

JediTalentAgent posted:

if this was just a demo reel/pilot they were shopping around to various outlets for a Dracula Junior series that never happened and Nick somehow just acquired the rights to air.

Nick showed some weird stuff in the 80s and this very much describes more of their programming

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

New ask: does anyone know of other books that were updated over the years like this?

I was galled to learn earlier this year (from Jeopardy) that Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep got at least a date shift (setting it in 2021 rather than 1992), though I don't know what else might have changed. But oh no, now we've passed that too, whatever will the readers do if it's not in their own future??

The Macdonald Hall series (Canadian YA fiction from the late 70s onward) is another I heard got tech updates like this. And Are You There God... (IIRC) had at least one revision to its description of the workings of menstrual hygiene products. That last one is the only one that seems particularly justified to me, since it is meant to be helpfully instructive and it won't do much good if the kids aren't using the Kotex Throwbacks.

Leaving aside the can of worms of revisions for sensitivity and stuff, I see no good reason for this sort of practice overall. Maybe it makes some sense in books for little kids, maybe the low end of the YA range, but for adults who have some sense of history and can understand how a publication year works, it's a little insulting on top of being inauthentic.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Harvey TWH posted:

I was galled to learn earlier this year (from Jeopardy) that Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep got at least a date shift (setting it in 2021 rather than 1992), though I don't know what else might have changed. But oh no, now we've passed that too, whatever will the readers do if it's not in their own future??

The Macdonald Hall series (Canadian YA fiction from the late 70s onward) is another I heard got tech updates like this. And Are You There God... (IIRC) had at least one revision to its description of the workings of menstrual hygiene products. That last one is the only one that seems particularly justified to me, since it is meant to be helpfully instructive and it won't do much good if the kids aren't using the Kotex Throwbacks.

Leaving aside the can of worms of revisions for sensitivity and stuff, I see no good reason for this sort of practice overall. Maybe it makes some sense in books for little kids, maybe the low end of the YA range, but for adults who have some sense of history and can understand how a publication year works, it's a little insulting on top of being inauthentic.

At least they'll never change the date of Orwell's 1984 . :v:

I blame George Lucas for making the idea of media revisions acceptable. I'm still mad about the Special Editions. :argh:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Harvey TWH posted:

That's disappointing.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Sometimes older books that are still in print are modernized to change out-of-date terms (and possibly offensive content).

Childhood's End (1953) takes place vaguely in the future and begins with a space race between the USA and USSR trying to land on the Moon; the revised version from 1990 has people instead trying to land on Mars.

Sometimes an author will reinstate cut material in later editions of a book, like The Stand by Stephen King, the expanded version of which also did some modernization.

JRR Tolkien changed the encounter with Gollum in The Hobbit somewhat to go along better with Lord of the Rings, though the original version is still included in some editions.

Then there was the infamous 2011 version of Huckleberry Finn that removed every instance of the n-word.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

I even went to the US copyright office search and can't even find a record of Dracula Junior, Peter York, etc. that matches up with this. (not to say it wasn't copyrighted in some form overseas, maybe.)

There's a part of me that wonders if this was even intended for public consumption. Given the quality of various aspects of it and it's oddly short run time, even with commercials, if this was just a demo reel/pilot they were shopping around to various outlets for a Dracula Junior series that never happened and Nick somehow just acquired the rights to air.

It may not have been published, but Pete York moved to Germany at that point in his career, so if it was, it would be registered there. The credits list "Slapstick Produktions" which is the German spelling of the word.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Wondering about a film I saw in first grade - on rainy days for recess, we'd all go into the gymnasium and watch 16mm (maybe 8, idk, I'm not a film expert) short films, usually animated, some not. The Electric Grandmother was definitely one, as were a number of storybook adaptations - Drummer Hoff sticks in my mind.

The one I'm trying to dig up now is an adaptation of the story of King Midas. It's either traditionally animated or stop-motion animated. It is absolutely not the 1953 Ray Harryhausen one. This one has a fairly grim and forbidding look, mostly in blues and greys, and I think it was dialogue-free, but I could be wrong, this was 35 years ago or so. It definitely ends with Midas running around turning more and more of his palace into gold in a panic before covering his face with his hands and turning himself into a gold statue.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

New ask: does anyone know of other books that were updated over the years like this?
Diane Duane has a Young Wizards series (that predates Harry Potter, thank you very much). The 1990 book, High Wizardry, sees Dairine, the annoying younger sister of the original protagonist, given her first wizard's manual in the form of a laptop she names Spot. I think you can see the problem here.

Between 2010 and 2012 Duane rewrote the entire series in what she calls the "New Millennium Edition", available as ebooks from her site. She moved all the books forward in time, so that the protagonists weren't doing '90s kid things and using a very, very dated computer. She's 71 now, so I very much doubt there'll be another rewrite.

Many kids' books age faster than adult books, because children want to read about characters like themselves. There's a great old Beverly Cleary teen problem novel from the 1950s. The real problem is that the heroine's parents are getting divorced (radical in a '50s kids book). However, the surface conflict between the heroine and her mother is a raincoat. The mother gives her a pink raincoat with a black velvet collar (jeez, I can't remember any of the characters' names or the book title, but I remember those clothes) but she wants a yellow slicker raincoat so that all her friends can write on it in black pen.

As you can guess, that book became visibly dated within a few years. By contast, Ramona Quimby isn't paying attention to fashion, and has lasted for decades.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Many kids' books age faster than adult books, because children want to read about characters like themselves. There's a great old Beverly Cleary teen problem novel from the 1950s. The real problem is that the heroine's parents are getting divorced (radical in a '50s kids book). However, the surface conflict between the heroine and her mother is a raincoat. The mother gives her a pink raincoat with a black velvet collar (jeez, I can't remember any of the characters' names or the book title, but I remember those clothes) but she wants a yellow slicker raincoat so that all her friends can write on it in black pen.

As you can guess, that book became visibly dated within a few years. By contast, Ramona Quimby isn't paying attention to fashion, and has lasted for decades.

Shelley Latham in The Luckiest Girl

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Shelley Latham in The Luckiest Girl

You are a genius.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the entire hardy boys series was completely rewritten and rereleased at least three times before most of us were even born, this aint new

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Diane Duane has a Young Wizards series (that predates Harry Potter, thank you very much). The 1990 book, High Wizardry, sees Dairine, the annoying younger sister of the original protagonist, given her first wizard's manual in the form of a laptop she names Spot. I think you can see the problem here.

I just mentioned this book in another thread; whoa!

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

It was a show called "Behind Closed Doors, With Joan Lunden" and they did an episode about a government training exercise in Atlanta where a terrorist hid a nuke and they had to find it

I've found record of the show but I'm looking for the full episode. My grandpa worked with the NNSA and helped create and develop The Nuclear Emergency Support Team (NEST) and in the training game my grandpa was the terrorist.

He built a fake nuke and drove it from Los Alamos to Atlanta in his motor home.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Beer_Suitcase posted:

It was a show called "Behind Closed Doors, With Joan Lunden" and they did an episode about a government training exercise in Atlanta where a terrorist hid a nuke and they had to find it

I've found record of the show but I'm looking for the full episode. My grandpa worked with the NNSA and helped create and develop The Nuclear Emergency Support Team (NEST) and in the training game my grandpa was the terrorist.

He built a fake nuke and drove it from Los Alamos to Atlanta in his motor home.

I don't know about the full episode but the bit on NEST seems to be here

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Metaline posted:

I just mentioned this book in another thread; whoa!

Which thread?

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
Where did the scahdenfreude thread go?

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Which thread?

PYF funny picture thread, I think?

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

nollij posted:

Where did the scahdenfreude thread go?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042273

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Pls help me find an ancient thread when a goon decided to move to Sweden and asked for input on how is life there. Swedgoons and others starting posting made up "facts" about Sweden with gradually increasing absurdity while it took way too long for OP to catch up.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Sekenr posted:

Pls help me find an ancient thread when a goon decided to move to Sweden and asked for input on how is life there. Swedgoons and others starting posting made up "facts" about Sweden with gradually increasing absurdity while it took way too long for OP to catch up.

If this is the thread that has the joke about swedishes not serving food to guests who visit it was in BYOB about 2 years ago.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Literally A Person posted:

If this is the thread that has the joke about swedishes not serving food to guests who visit it was in BYOB about 2 years ago.

There's this year-old thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4003399

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I haven't been looking for this for ages, but a few weeks ago in the r/relationships/AITA thread this reply was made:

Batterypowered7 posted:

Just do like that one guy that tugged on his foreskin day after day until it turned into a massive mass that doesn't even really function as a penis anymore.

and my morbid curiosity got the better of me. However web searching didn't, and you can imagine what kind of delightful things I found in my travails instead. Can anyone clue me in here?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

McSpanky posted:

I haven't been looking for this for ages, but a few weeks ago in the r/relationships/AITA thread this reply was made:

and my morbid curiosity got the better of me. However web searching didn't, and you can imagine what kind of delightful things I found in my travails instead. Can anyone clue me in here?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.marca.com/en/lifestyle/world-news/2023/09/25/65118afa268e3e0f128b45b9.html

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That is suitably distressing, thank you.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

quote:

A study by Dr. Jesus Pablo Gilmore discovered, thanks to a CT scan, that Cabrera's penis really measures 18 centimeters and the rest is just foreskin and inflamed skin.

Oops! All Foreskin

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

A comic of a dog berating its owner for using the toilet, exclaiming it's where "some of us drink."

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Sekenr posted:

I started the desinformation campaign in that thread and coordinated with the other Swede goons in the lf Scandinavia thread. They are both gone and I can't find them in search. There were lots of references to rapper Mange Schmidt as royal poet, or poet laureate. That and State issue razor blades.

I think the thread was in A/T in 2009 or 2010.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Paper Tiger posted:

Oops! All Foreskin

Hey, still 18cm

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

axolotl farmer posted:

I started the desinformation campaign in that thread and coordinated with the other Swede goons in the lf Scandinavia thread. They are both gone and I can't find them in search. There were lots of references to rapper Mange Schmidt as royal poet, or poet laureate. That and State issue razor blades.

I think the thread was in A/T in 2009 or 2010.

That's the one. Too bad it's gone, I still remember the state issued Cobra phone and that noone is allowed to park cars outside during daytime.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Sekenr posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3295388

(forums search doesn't cover archives, which is any thread before 2014 or so)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Several years ago, there was this video clip that was very popular on SA that went something like this:

There's this chubby-ish guy with frizzy hair and maybe a moustache who is arguing with a man with a vague European accent and calls the guy a motherfucker. European guy tells him that such language is not necesssary and the chubby guys says it again and really emphasizes the "fucker" part.

Any ideas?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Paper Tiger posted:

Oops! All Foreskin

Imagine the smegma

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

shame on an IGA posted:

the entire hardy boys series was completely rewritten and rereleased at least three times before most of us were even born, this aint new

Nancy Drew as well. "Tom Swift is another", he said repetitively.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

McSpanky posted:

Imagine the smegma

It's like a Gogurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Polsy posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3295388

(forums search doesn't cover archives, which is any thread before 2014 or so)
Wow I have been interested in this thread, but now to discover the original poster was probably a horrible violent felon looking to get away from those pesky prying eyes of the American judicial system sure makes making poo poo up to troll him funnier than I originally thought it was